View Full Version : The big brother

Live2ride
September 9th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ok, I went to see a used 07 zx6r today that had fallen on it's side in the back of a truck; The bike has 9,100 miles on it. Well, long story short I ended up buying it for $2500 (which is $100 less than I paid for my ninjette :)) The bike is missing the side fairings and has a few scuffs and a small dent in the tank. The seller said he might have 1 of the side fairings with the stock turn signal in it; He's gonna look for it at his house and get back to me (I doubt I'll get it). The following mods came on the bike:

-Power commander III
-Full Two Bro's exhaust (loud as hell)
-'10 zx6r forks
-1 down, 2 up sprockets
- possibly aftermarket clipons (not sure)
-new pilot power front tire (if you consider that a mod)
-Jumper mod

The first thing I noticed when riding it was how large the rear tire and gears are compared to my ninjette. It is nowhere near as flickable as the ninjette. The things I really like about the bike are:
1) the seat (much softer and more comfortable)
2) the tank shape (my knees actually fit under the tank very comfortably)
3) riding position (I'm very tall and have long arms; the more aggressive position actually feels good; I have yet to ride it more than 10-15 miles at a time though)
4) electronic gauge (gear indicator,lap timer,clock,shift light, maybe some other stuff I'm not thinking of)
5) stock rearset position is very comfortable
6) highway speed acceleration (85mph in first gear is great but sucks at the same time; I rarely get the bike above 7k rpms)

Overall I think I got a decent deal. I'll try and post up pics tomorrow. BTW, this is not replacing my ninjette! I mainly bought this bike as a winter project to work on and possibly re-sell for a profit or keep as a weekend bike.

rusninja
September 9th, 2011, 11:33 PM
wth is this! you take your time to right all that and no pics XD?

Live2ride
September 9th, 2011, 11:46 PM
wth is this! you take your time to right all that and no pics XD?

Fine, fine. Here's a teaser I took when I parked it earlier. It's not gonna look very good until I get the side fairings.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0101.jpg?t=1315637069

rusninja
September 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM
more more! X]

nickjpass
September 9th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I hate how the exhaust looks like that under the seat. Might just be the picture though.

Live2ride
September 10th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I hate how the exhaust looks like that under the seat. Might just be the picture though.

It might be hard to tell but the two bro's pipe is much more oval shaped than circular. I tend not to like aftermarket undertail exhausts but this is the exception to that rule. I love the way it looks and it sounds insane but it's crazy loud compared to my ninjette. My step brother could hear me over a mile away.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0102.jpg?t=1315638532

nickjpass
September 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
It might be hard to tell but the two bro's pipe is much more oval shaped than circular. I tend not to like aftermarket undertail exhausts but this is the exception to that rule. I love the way it looks and it sounds insane but it's crazy loud compared to my ninjette. My step brother could hear me over a mile away.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0102.jpg?t=1315638532
Looks better in that picture. Other picture was at a weird angle. Nice bike/exhaust :D

rusninja
September 10th, 2011, 12:39 AM
i wana see the side :S

Live2ride
September 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
i wana see the side :S

I'll post more pics by tonight. The side won't look that great because of a lack of side fairings.:p

Kevin2109
September 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Why do I have to live in California!?!?! It would be around $4000 for that bike here :mad:

Lucky ****

gt_turbo
September 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
thats an awesome deal! great find.

Live2ride
September 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Why do I have to live in California!?!?! It would be around $4000 for that bike here :mad:

Lucky ****

:D I jumped on the opportunity and he originally wanted $3,000. I went to look at the bike and told him for the price I wouldn't buy it (quite a few fairing cracks; more cosmetic damage than he told me to begin with). About 3 hours later he shot me a text saying he would take $2600 for it. I went back, test rode it, and offered him $2,500 which he then accepted. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling to leave the first time. The bike runs great and it is fast as hell. So far I feel like my ninjette is more enjoyable to ride because in the twisties with that small tire on the back it's a lot of fun. The zx6r feels much more solid; it holds a straight line very well but so far I haven't been able to keep a good line while cornering. I can definitely feel the extra traction from the wider tire. And yes; I like to think of myself as a Lucky **** for finding this deal :D. I got such a good deal on it that, when I had the title transferred this morning, I had to get a dmv form notarized at my bank since it was less than 50% of kbb value. Maybe you could drive cross-country and buy it from me when It's back in better shape. :p

Kevin2109
September 10th, 2011, 03:55 PM
:D I jumped on the opportunity and he originally wanted $3,000. I went to look at the bike and told him for the price I wouldn't buy it (quite a few fairing cracks; more cosmetic damage than he told me to begin with). About 3 hours later he shot me a text saying he would take $2600 for it. I went back, test rode it, and offered him $2,500 which he then accepted. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling to leave the first time. The bike runs great and it is fast as hell. So far I feel like my ninjette is more enjoyable to ride because in the twisties with that small tire on the back it's a lot of fun. The zx6r feels much more solid; it holds a straight line very well but so far I haven't been able to keep a good line while cornering. I can definitely feel the extra traction from the wider tire. And yes; I like to think of myself as a Lucky **** for finding this deal :D. I got such a good deal on it that, when I had the title transferred this morning, I had to get a dmv form notarized at my bank since it was less than 50% of kbb value. Maybe you could drive cross-country and buy it from me when It's back in better shape. :p

Very nice! Congrats

Live2ride
September 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Ok; here are the pics...A lot of them. :D

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/rightside.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/backleft.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/front-1.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/backright.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/riderview.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0122.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0129.jpg

Live2ride
September 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Wow, all that hype about pics and no posts for over an hour. Is it that ugly? :p

nickjpass
September 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
No, I was in church. Nice bike, but can passengers burn their butt on the exhaust? Also, it doesn't look that bad without fairings. I think if someone wasn't very proficient in motorcycling knowledge they wouldn't notice the lack of them.

Live2ride
September 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
No, I was in church. Nice bike, but can passengers burn their butt on the exhaust? Also, it doesn't look that bad without fairings. I think if someone wasn't very proficient in motorcycling knowledge they wouldn't notice the lack of them.

there is a heat shield above the pipe / below the seat. If the passenger decided to slide off the back and rest their buns on the hot can then yes, it would burn them :lol:. The rear seat sits 2-3 inches above the can as well so that minimizes the heat even more. I don't mind the look without the side fairings much but I feel like it would look cleaner if they were there for obvious reasons. The rear seat needs to be replaced with an oem one because 1 of the 2 po's decided that a cheap leather cover and unevenly cut foam would apparently look better than stock (whoever it was obviously wasn't smart). So far I plan on buying the following:

1) new rear seat (probably $30-$40 at most)
2) side fairings (roughly $150 each in good condition)
3) possibly a new right rearset (since the crack in the current one doesn't seem fixable) ($50-$70)
4) maybe some better looking rear fairings (looks like someone performed the worst rattle can job ever lol) (hopefully not much more than $30-$40)
5) fairing bolts if none come with the fairings I buy. (who cares about the cost; it's to little to worry about $10)

So hopefully I can keep the repair bill below or around $460 :thumbup:

nickjpass
September 10th, 2011, 07:37 PM
there is a heat shield above the pipe / below the seat. If the passenger decided to slide off the back and rest their buns on the hot can then yes, it would burn them :lol:. The rear seat sits 2-3 inches above the can as well so that minimizes the heat even more. I don't mind the look without the side fairings much but I feel like it would look cleaner if they were there for obvious reasons. The rear seat needs to be replaced with an oem one because 1 of the 2 po's decided that a cheap leather cover and unevenly cut foam would apparently look better than stock (whoever it was obviously wasn't smart). So far I plan on buying the following:

3) possibly a new right rearset (since the crack in the current one doesn't seem fixable) ($50-$70)
4) maybe some better looking rear fairings (looks like someone performed the worst rattle can job ever lol) (hopefully not much more than $30-$40)
5) fairing bolts if none come with the fairings I buy. (who cares about the cost; it's to little to worry about $10)

Cool. It's not very noticeable but it does look a bit "sloppy" without fairings.

Where are you going to post your modifications? Here or another thread?

CZroe
September 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Also, aftermarket exhausts don't get nearly as hot because they lack the cat in the can itself.

Xoulrath
September 10th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Good find, Cody! That bike is great, though some might say I'm biased! :p

As far as trouble in the corners and holding a line, I'm sure it's just SR's taking over. Remember to apply the throttle evenly, smoothly, and constantly through the turn. You'll do fine. You just need to adjust to the extra power, and it's a LOT extra.

rusninja
September 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM
very nice you can pull of no fairing look because of sexy frame :P just get a darn mirror x]

Live2ride
September 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Good find, Cody! That bike is great, though some might say I'm biased! :p

As far as trouble in the corners and holding a line, I'm sure it's just SR's taking over. Remember to apply the throttle evenly, smoothly, and constantly through the turn. You'll do fine. You just need to adjust to the extra power, and it's a LOT extra.

Well, I've only ridden it twice. the first time I didn't get above 40 mph (when I was test riding it). The 40 mph was by accident; it felt like I was going 15-20mph :o. The second time was about a 5-6 mile round trip through some twisties by my house then on a straightaway. What I did notice was that my corner entrance speed seemed roughly the same as my ninja but I was fighting with the bike to keep a good line and keep away from the double yellow. I was not racing moto gp style through the twisties either because they can be very dangerous, hidden driveways around blind corners, sand / fresh mowed grass, gravel etc. I just noticed how much more difficult it was to throw around than my ninjette. I'm sure after another 100 miles or so that I'll get used to it. It is fun to ride in a straight line but not nearly as fun as the ninja in the twisties :). That actually makes me happy because I love my 250 so much.

very nice you can pull of no fairing look because of sexy frame :P just get a darn mirror x]

I plan on ordering a set of replacement mirrors today. The front fairing has a crack but it's above the mirror attachment so I'm hoping to fix that as well. I believe it's legal in va as long as I have 1 of the mirrors though. Still, it looks funny without the right mirror, but that should change soon :D. And yes, the frame is definitely sexy. :)

Live2ride
September 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM
You just need to adjust to the extra power, and it's a LOT extra.

Yes, it is definitely A LOT of power. I just messed around and a top speed run of first gear ran 84 mph before I even hit redline so I just decided to leave the rest a mystery; couldn't have been more than 90mph though :eek:. That's a lot different from my ninjettes 38 mph redline in first gear... I love the bike so far but it has too much power imo. I think I can handle the power but it's definitely set up more towards track racing.

blink
September 11th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Well that's an amaaazing deal actually! Even if you do dump 500 on full fairings...those things run nowhere under 5000$ here =p and that's with over 15000km on them.

As for the flicking into corners thing, i thought the same thing ...well because it's true, but after riding it for a week or 2 you actually find it easier to throw into corners and you can get nice lines going. And if you drive the ninja after those few weeks then it feels weird and way to easy to maneuver; you can literally give the wheel about a 20 degree spin in mid corner..which is i don't even know an adjective aahha.

Nice bike again!

nickjpass
September 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm sure it's just SR's taking over.

?

Cuongism
September 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM
From twist of the wrist series, SR means survival reactions. There's many SR's that are the opposite of what you should be doing. An example is that it's a natural reflex for people to brake in a corner when they're running hot which can be the wrong thing to do.

nickjpass
September 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM
From twist of the wrist series, SR means survival reactions. There's many SR's that are the opposite of what you should be doing. An example is that it's a natural reflex for people to brake in a corner when they're running hot which can be the wrong thing to do.
Oh...you probably should lean more right?

Cuongism
September 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I actually phrased my example incorrectly. The Survival Reaction is the act of rolling off the throttle when going in too hot. The solution would be to be smooth on the throttle throughout to not disrupt your traction. Smoothly increasing the throttle, leaning further, and/or hanging off can help get you get through the turn.

Over/under braking is a separate SR.

Live2ride
September 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Well; I just sent the money for a used, good condition rearset for $35 shipped and 2 new mirrors for $27 shipped. :D

My cornering issue was not a throttle control problem, I'm simply not use to the feeling of such a large bike. I was leaning more / less during the turn in an attempt to keep a decent line. My lines tended to be on the outside of my lane through the entire turn instead of outside, inside, then back out. I think I was leaning too little during the whole turn; but it felt much more difficult to lean the entire bike. I think the main difference is how stiff the suspension is on the bike compared to my 250. luckily it's adjustable so that's not a big issue :D.

Cuongism
September 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Hey Cody, my post wasn't necessarily about you but just explaining to Nick what SR's are.

I haven't rode a ZX6R in awhile so can't remember how low the clipons are. Something that may help is to remember to push forward on the bars. The 250 is so flickable and the handlebars are fairly upright that it's natural to push the bar forward. On a SS, you're higher on the tank and the bars are much lower so you're more above the bars vs in front of them and there's a tendency of pushing the bars down or at an angle vs pushing forward. Hope that may help with making the lean easier :thumbup:

Congrats on a great deal btw :)

PsychoNinja
September 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Congrats, you got one heck of a deal!:thumbup:

Live2ride
September 12th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Hey Cody, my post wasn't necessarily about you but just explaining to Nick what SR's are.

I haven't rode a ZX6R in awhile so can't remember how low the clipons are. Something that may help is to remember to push forward on the bars. The 250 is so flickable and the handlebars are fairly upright that it's natural to push the bar forward. On a SS, you're higher on the tank and the bars are much lower so you're more above the bars vs in front of them and there's a tendency of pushing the bars down or at an angle vs pushing forward. Hope that may help with making the lean easier :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice; I'll definitely have to try it out next ride. :thumbup:

Congrats, you got one heck of a deal!:thumbup:

thanks. :)

Live2ride
September 12th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Today I spent a lot of time in the shed fixing small things on the bike. I took off all of the rear fairings and found some cracks in the under fairings; I went ahead and fixed those with good ol' super glue. I also glued a crack in the front fairing to prevent it from growing larger and one crack in the lower side fairing. Eventually I figured I should attach my license plate and I definitely didn't want it where the po had it prior (check the 3rd post / first pic I posted to see what I mean). He had a fender eliminator installed below the exhaust can that was only holding the rear brake light bar and the 2 turn signals which were pointing downward instead of outward and thus illegal (less than 9 inches apart). I ended up turning the fender eliminator around so that it was slanted more horizontal and backward as you can see in the pic. I also attached the turn signals sideways and attached the brake light bar to the bottom of the license plate making it much more visible; I just hope it's legal. Tomorrow I might paint the lower back fairings and rear mid fairings flat black (green lines in pic) since the current paint job is...less than appealing. The po obviously didn't even know how to apply spray paint (the fairings are originally flat black I believe, he painted them gloss black for some reason).

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0132-2.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0131-2.jpg

blink
September 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM

MSF always said you turn by pushing forward?
So I guess it's just on a 250 you push angled due to body position?

600's seem very easy to take corners on after riding them for a bit

blink
September 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM
You should put an Akra pipe, two bros is way too louddd isn't it?

Xoulrath
September 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Cody, in addition to what Cuong said, I would re-emphasize the throttle control issue. You may think it isn't throttle control, but once the bike is leaned, throttle controls it. Aside from very minor steering inputs, the throttle sets the weight distribution and allows the suspension to do its job. There is a great thread on cornering in the Rider Skills section with some solid advice from Misti, who teaches at Keith Code's Superbike School.

I mean no disrespect with this post, but the first step to getting better is realizing there may be a problem. I don't know how you ride, but I critique every little thing I do on every ride I take. I realize that is more an OCD thing with me than something everyone does. I just like to be as good as I can at anything I enjoy. Even so, you can always learn something every time you ride if you choose to. The problems come in when you feel as though you can't learn anything else. I was never smarter in life than the day I realized I would never know everything.

Good luck with the bike. Be safe.

Live2ride
September 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
You should put an Akra pipe, two bros is way too louddd isn't it?

It is rather loud but when riding I actually enjoyed hearing the louder engine noise. Hearing it through earplugs made it much better for my ears, I hope it's not obnoxiously loud to bystanders though. I don't wanna be able to be heard from a mile away but I feel like it will be nice on the highway; the 2 bros pipe is gutted too :eek:.

Cody, in addition to what Cuong said, I would re-emphasize the throttle control issue. You may think it isn't throttle control, but once the bike is leaned, throttle controls it. Aside from very minor steering inputs, the throttle sets the weight distribution and allows the suspension to do its job. There is a great thread on cornering in the Rider Skills section with some solid advice from Misti, who teaches at Keith Code's Superbike School.

I mean no disrespect with this post, but the first step to getting better is realizing there may be a problem. I don't know how you ride, but I critique every little thing I do on every ride I take. I realize that is more an OCD thing with me than something everyone does. I just like to be as good as I can at anything I enjoy. Even so, you can always learn something every time you ride if you choose to. The problems come in when you feel as though you can't learn anything else. I was never smarter in life than the day I realized I would never know everything.

Good luck with the bike. Be safe.

I definitely didn't take any disrespect from your post. I love constructive criticism :thumbup:. As far as anything goes on my new bike I feel like only time will help. I've ridden a total of maybe 5-6 miles on the bike since buying it compared to around 5k+ on my 250. I also criticize myself on every ride constantly trying to improve my skills. Tbh, I didn't expect riding a larger bike to differ so greatly from my 250. I expected the increase in power but the handling is drastically different. I'm sure once I start riding it a bit more I will gain a much better handle on it. I consider myself a more proficient rider than average for my seat time but I assure you that I do not act cocky about it. I love riding and I can't wait to experience riding different kinds of motorcycles. I hope to eventually ride many different kinds of bikes such as sport touring, cruiser, chopper, cafe racer, dual sport, streetfighter, spyder etc because I feel like every motorcycle will give me a unique sense of accomplishment and self-satisfaction. :D

Lil_Green_Demon
September 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM
That's a nice ass deal for such a clean bike

Live2ride
September 12th, 2011, 10:33 PM

I have the following being shipped to me atm:

-slightly used right rearset $35 shipped :)
-used rear seat $37 shipped :)
-new mirrors $27 shipped

I expect the side fairings to cost the highest of all the repairs but finding one used for a decent price is hard enough; finding one the correct color, used and in good condition seems near impossible. :(

That's a nice ass deal for such a clean bike

The bike isn't as clean as the pics make it seem (up close you can notice a few imperfections but nothing really major), but I like to think it was still a great deal; thanks. :thumbup:

Live2ride
September 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Well, being the idiot I am I didn't check the tire pressure before the ride I took on the zx6r. The rear was at about 15 psi when its supposed to be 42 and the front was a little low. I believe that may be why the bike felt so strange to ride around. :o

Kevin2109
September 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Well, being the idiot I am I didn't check the tire pressure before the ride I took on the zx6r. The rear was at about 15 psi when its supposed to be 42 and the front was a little low. I believe that may be why the bike felt so strange to ride around. :o

Did that when test riding a 636, 11psi front 22psi rear, talk about a funny feeling!! lol

Xoulrath
September 13th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Well, being the idiot I am I didn't check the tire pressure before the ride I took on the zx6r. The rear was at about 15 psi when its supposed to be 42 and the front was a little low. I believe that may be why the bike felt so strange to ride around. :oDamn, you're lucky you didn't crash! My bikes get as little as five pounds low, and I can feel it, and it doesn't feel good!

Live2ride
September 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Damn, you're lucky you didn't crash! My bikes get as little as five pounds low, and I can feel it, and it doesn't feel good!

Did that when test riding a 636, 11psi front 22psi rear, talk about a funny feeling!! lol

Yea, I took the bike out through the twisties by my house once more it felt 10X better with filled tires. This bike handles like a dream; not as agile as my 250 in low speeds but I was taking the twisties at roughly 10 mph faster without even trying to push myself. I feel like the suspension is substantially more advanced on my zx6r which allows me to brake faster (dual calipers help too :p), take corners quicker, and be all around more comfortable on the bike. I love the dash with all the bells and whistles, especially the clock and gear indicator. Now that I've really tested the bikes (street legal) potential I've found that I really enjoy the bike and I might end up keeping it as a weekend twistie machine for a while before selling it.

P.s. after riding the zixxer (that's right I made fun at gixxers) I hop'd on the 250 for the first time since I dropped it off at the dealer last Tuesday. The 250's seat is so low and the bars so high that I felt like I was sitting on a cruiser...both are comfortable but I didn't realize how big of a difference there is between the 2.

nickjpass
September 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zixxer

Live2ride
September 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Another thing I noted was that the slipper clutch is awesome and its much smoother to shift up without using the clutch lever. O, and this bike is one bad s.o.b. I spray painted a side panel flat black with a matte finish over it. It's identical to the color of the frame which is exactly what I was hoping for. I plan on painting the other side panel and the fairings just above the exhaust can flat black as well. I hope they all come out like the one I painted today. :D

Live2ride
September 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zixxer

:lol:

nickjpass
September 13th, 2011, 07:08 PM
:lol:

What?

Live2ride
September 13th, 2011, 07:43 PM
What?

:cool:

nickjpass
September 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
:cool:

:dizzy:

I don't know what you're talking about lol.

Kevin2109
September 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
:deadhorse:

nickjpass
September 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Live2ride
September 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM

:karate: + :ninjaman: = :tea:

nickjpass
September 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
:karate: + :ninjaman: = :tea:

Sure?

Skippii
September 16th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I run 35-40psi in my tires on the street on the Ninja, and 15-20psi on the dirt. The difference in handling is huge--you'll be sure to notice a drastic difference on the ZX6R.

Live2ride
September 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I run 35-40psi in my tires on the street on the Ninja, and 15-20psi on the dirt. The difference in handling is huge--you'll be sure to notice a drastic difference on the ZX6R.

It definitely made a huge difference after filling the tires up. I've been doing nothing but working and when I'm away from work I'm either doing college work or working on my zx6r. My most time consuming project has been repainting the tail piece. I have been working soely on that piece for 4-5 days now. That could be because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these sorts of things.:D

Live2ride
September 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
I received the right side fairings / turn signal today. :D Now all I need is the left fairings / signal and she'll look great!

Live2ride
September 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
I forgot to mention I painted the side pieces and fairings just above the undertail flat black. Now I'm in the process of painting the tail fairing gloss black (which is turning out to be better than I thought for a spray can job). I've been working on the tail fairing for at least a week now and it's been a lot of painting and sanding over and over and over. Tedious work but it's filling up my free time :).

p.s. since I got my bikes, I've lost 30+ lbs from working on them for hours on end. :D motorcycles ftw! At least I think that's what caused the weight loss; I haven't changed any other habit.

Xoulrath
September 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
The actual act of riding probably has more to do with the weight loss than simply wrenching.

Live2ride
September 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
The actual act of riding probably has more to do with the weight loss than simply wrenching.

That too :D

ninja250
September 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
I feel like the suspension is substantially more advanced on my zx6r which allows me to brake faster (dual calipers help too ), take corners quicker, and be all around more comfortable on the bike.
Bingo.
The ninja 250 is so demanding and unstable in the corners :mad:
I can't get comfy like that knowing there is much more confidence inspiring bikes to corner with.

Alex
September 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
I disagree.

Live2ride
September 23rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
I don't find the 250 unstable or demanding in corners at all. The po of my zx6r had the suspension set to his weight which luckily is almost the same as mine so its a more custom fit unlike the 250 whose front forks dive during moderate breaking.

Live2ride
October 1st, 2011, 07:17 PM
Ok guys, I went up to see a guy in NoVa today about some stuff he had for sale. Got some stuff but can't install it until tomorrow because I worked all day :(. Lucky for me I have the next few days off. This is the guy's ad (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2621963037.html), we talked bikes for a long time and they guy is tracking his bike, he seemed like an awesome guy. I'd definitely buy from him again; In fact I might just do that, there were a couple other parts he didn't know if he'd need or not but said he would call me when his race plastics came in the mail and let me know. I bought the following. :D

1.)Full set of fairings with turn signals and inner fairings, relay holster, heat shields, the works. Great condition. $450
3.)Seat cowl, pristine condition $15 (normally $100+)
4.)Brake lever, never used: $5
5.)Tool kit, never used: $10

Total: $480

Free stuff:

1.)2 bro’s fender eliminator w/ aftermarket turn signals, brake light bar and led plate bolts.
2.)Hardware to install fairings
3.)Center vent cover with light/ housing
4.)Side dash panel covers
5.)Swing arm spools
6.)Headlight surrounds
7.) I think there might be a couple free things I'm forgetting, can't remember exactly.

rusninja
October 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Ok guys, I went up to see a guy in NoVa today about some stuff he had for sale. Got some stuff but can't install it until tomorrow because I worked all day :(. Lucky for me I have the next few days off. This is the guy's ad (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2621963037.html), we talked bikes for a long time and they guy is tracking his bike, he seemed like an awesome guy. I'd definitely buy from him again; In fact I might just do that, there were a couple other parts he didn't know if he'd need or not but said he would call me when his race plastics came in the mail and let me know. I bought the following. :D

1.)Full set of fairings with turn signals and inner fairings, relay holster, heat shields, the works. Great condition. $450
3.)Seat cowl, pristine condition $15 (normally $100+)
4.)Brake lever, never used: $5
5.)Tool kit, never used: $10

Total: $480

Free stuff:

1.)2 bro’s fender eliminator w/ aftermarket turn signals, brake light bar and led plate bolts.
2.)Hardware to install fairings
3.)Center vent cover with light/ housing
4.)Side dash panel covers
5.)Swing arm spools
6.)Headlight surrounds
7.) I think there might be a couple free things I'm forgetting, can't remember exactly.

:worthlesswithoutpic

Live2ride
October 1st, 2011, 08:14 PM
:worthlesswithoutpic

Here's your pics. :rolleyes:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0174.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0173.jpg

Live2ride
October 2nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
I got a little picture happy :o. Here are some pics of the bike with and without the seat cowl.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0187.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0178.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0183.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0194.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0195.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0191.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0184.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0192.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0182.jpg

nickjpass
October 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Nice pictures! Great looking bike!!

Live2ride
October 2nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Nice pictures! Great looking bike!!

Thanks! I worked for hours putting those fairings on the bike. The 250 is definitely easier to remove and re-install all of the fairings. I tried to haggle with the seller to swap tanks so mine could be silver like the rest of my bike, unfortunately to no avail. Honestly I don't find it looks too bad at all. especially with the black windscreen. Looks cool from the riders seat too. :D

rusninja
October 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
very nice lucky man :P

alex.s
October 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
I wanna **** your bike.

Live2ride
October 3rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
I wanna **** your bike.

Feel free to, I'll even warm her up for you but your gonna need a big wang to fit in that 2 bros tail pipe. :eek:

nickjpass
October 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Feel free to, I'll even warm her up for you but your gonna need a big wang to fit in that 2 bros tail pipe. :eek:

Get a smaller exhaust.

Live2ride
October 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Well, she's up for sale on Craigslist (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2632736235.html). I posted it for a semi- high price at $6k but considering some minor cosmetic flaws I doubt I'll get that much for it, It's posted OBO.

I love the bike but I feel like it would just get me in trouble with the law. This is more of a feeler than a serious sale too. This bike just isn't as fun to ride as slow as the speed limit requires. :p

rusninja
October 6th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Well, she's up for sale on Craigslist (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2632736235.html). I posted it for a semi- high price at $6k but considering some minor cosmetic flaws I doubt I'll get that much for it, It's posted OBO.

I love the bike but I feel like it would just get me in trouble with the law. This is more of a feeler than a serious sale too. This bike just isn't as fun to ride as slow as the speed limit requires. :p

oh wow thats the attitude. :P

nickjpass
October 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM
That was quick :eek:

Live2ride
October 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM
That was quick :eek:

Well I specifically bought it to fix it up and resell for a small profit. I really like the bike and it fits me very well. Unfortunately I did fall for it just a bit and it truly is an amazing machine but I just don't feel like I should keep it. If it sells then I'd like to buy another fixer-upper bike and see how well I can turn it around. I honestly thought it was gonna take me until atleast mid winter to fix but sure enough it took less than a month. Mainly because it had purely cosmetic damage. The bike is mechanically sound, thank god.

nickjpass
October 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Well I specifically bought it to fix it up and resell for a small profit. I really like the bike and it fits me very well. Unfortunately I did fall for it just a bit and it truly is an amazing machine but I just don't feel like I should keep it. If it sells then I'd like to buy another fixer-upper bike and see how well I can turn it around. I honestly thought it was gonna take me until atleast mid winter to fix but sure enough it took less than a month. Mainly because it had purely cosmetic damage. The bike is mechanically sound, thank god.

I see. You did a very good job. It's a very good looking bike. It's beautiful as a matter of fact.

Live2ride
October 6th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I see. You did a very good job. It's a very good looking bike. It's beautiful as a matter of fact.

Thanks :D. So far my ad has been up for a day or so and I haven't had any e-mails from interested buyers so I feel it might not be sold (if sold ;)) until next riding season.

Jono
October 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Ahhh, I can't believe you are selling it!!! I bet you're gonna kick yourself once it's gone! I'll buy it for $3000!

nickjpass
October 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Ahhh, I can't believe you are selling it!!! I bet you're gonna kick yourself once it's gone! I'll buy it for $3000!

:rotflmao: Yeah right. He should be selling if for more than $6000. That zx is priceless..

Xoulrath
October 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
$6,000 is probably doable, but not this late in the season I wouldn't think. In March or April, sure, but October?

Anyway, I know what you mean. I LOVE my ZX. It's everything I hoped it would be, but damn it's easy to get carried away with. I am 34 and I barely have the ability to contain myself on the street. It is simply too easy to go from 60 to 90 riding a long sweeper. And it's just as capable in the slow stuff as the Ninjette, at least on roads you know well.

Good luck selling it, or enjoy riding it if you don't. :thumbup:

Jono
October 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM
:rotflmao: Yeah right. He should be selling if for more than $6000. That zx is priceless..

Exactly! That is why he shouldn't sell it!

rusninja
October 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM

kiss ass hahaha

Live2ride
October 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
$6,000 is probably doable, but not this late in the season I wouldn't think. In March or April, sure, but October?

Anyway, I know what you mean. I LOVE my ZX. It's everything I hoped it would be, but damn it's easy to get carried away with. I am 34 and I barely have the ability to contain myself on the street. It is simply too easy to go from 60 to 90 riding a long sweeper. And it's just as capable in the slow stuff as the Ninjette, at least on roads you know well.

Good luck selling it, or enjoy riding it if you don't. :thumbup:

Maybe I'll sell this one and buy another during winter for a lower price to make it a win-win. The zx6r is 10000000000 times easier to get carried away with than the ninjette. I think I mentioned this earlier but when I test rode it I was putting along down the road thinking I was going 15mph and realized I was doing 40-45mph :eek:. I honestly couldn't believe it. It is very hard to stay within the speed limit on this bike because it feels like your barely crawling. Riding in highway conditions is definitely much more stable than my 250 which is nice but it's the fact that you can lose track of your speed so easily in any gear that makes it a bit on the edgy side. I'd imagine this to be at least mostly true for any larger bike. It's very unfortunate considering the bike fits me so well and is so damn comfortable in the twisties. Once I ride it more I'm sure It would become easier to control but it's nice to just go WOT on my ninjette and stay within the speed limit. You cannot red line first gear anywhere in the US legally unless on the track. That's kinda scary if you think about it. :rolleyes:

nickjpass
October 7th, 2011, 06:47 PM
kiss ass hahaha

I really like the bike though!

Xoulrath
October 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Sure, you can't do it legally, but if conditions are safe, then I go ahead and do it from time to time. :)

Live2ride
October 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Sure, you can't do it legally, but if conditions are safe, then I go ahead and do it from time to time. :)

The problem isn't feeling like doing it from time to time, It's feeling like doing it all the time.:o

I just had a thought today that I could swap sprockets so that the gearing is higher. that way maybe I could change the gearing to make 1st top out around 60mph, then I'd actually have to shift lol. The only problem is that a sprocket change that drastic would probably make the bike able to power wheelie in the first 2 gears easily and kill mpg.:o

Live2ride
October 10th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ok guys and gals, so I've been running low test in my zx6r since the day I got it and not really by choice. I believe the bike came with low test when I bought it; and the only available gas at my house was low test in a gas can. So today I said screw it and rode the 22 mile round trip to the closest gas station and filled up with shell's v-power high test from a nearly empty tank. Let me just say...Holy Crap! This thing acts like a whole new bike. I thought it sounded great before but as soon as I started her up at the gas pump I knew it sounded better. The entire power band was drastically smoother and the shifting was like cutting warm butter :D. The gurgling while engine braking was reduced too. I even saw a new zx-10r at the shell station! It was sweet, green and black and looked like it came off the showroom floor.

Kevin2109
October 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM
wait... You havent been putting 91 in it?! Dude....

Live2ride
October 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM
wait... You havent been putting 91 in it?! Dude....

Screw 91, I put 93 in it :p

Yea, I know it was a bad choice, but I've barely even ridden it in my defense. I knew I needed to put in high test but we didn't have any empty gas cans and today was the longest ride yet, a whopping 25 miles. :cool:

Kevin2109
October 10th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Screw 91, I put 93 in it :p

Yea, I know it was a bad choice, but I've barely even ridden it in my defense. I knew I needed to put in high test but we didn't have any empty gas cans and today was the longest ride yet, a whopping 25 miles. :cool:

You need to get out more! I put almost 200 miles on mine yesterday lol

Where the hell did you find 93?! I want in on this secret :p

nickjpass
October 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I saw 93 somewhere in NY before.

rusninja
October 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM

dont worry few years in cali max youll see is 89 :p

Live2ride
October 10th, 2011, 05:57 PM

I saw 93 somewhere in NY before.

dont worry few years in cali max youll see is 89 :p

Near me the gas stations have 87 89/91 and 93 octane...So I had 87 octane in the bike and now it has 93. It cost me $3.50 / gallon so it was a bit expensive compared to 87 ($.30-$.35 more) but well worth it. Plus it has the nitrogen enriched v-power stuff so it's supposed to clean out the engine components from greasy nasty gunk.

nickjpass
October 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Supposed to, not sure if it always does haha.

Live2ride
October 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Well me barely tightening a bolt managed to puncture a small hole in the gas tank today. Then I had to drill out the tank mount bolt in order to get the tank off....overall it was an eventful day. It should be an easy fix tomorrow. Maybe I'll remove that pesky Kleen air system while I have the tank off. :D

Live2ride
October 13th, 2011, 06:56 PM
So the tank was a very easy fix, the hole was very small and my dad made a permanent fix of it at work today. I managed to do the jumper mod, and the kleen air mod while the tank was off so hopefully I'll have some time to get it back together tomorrow and test out my new improvements :D.

-Jumper Mod: $0.00, + 9-11hp :D
-Kleen air mod: $0.00, apparently rids the bike of popping and gurgling on decel (will find out tomorrow :))
-Piercing a hole in
your gas tank by
accident then fixing
it for free: priceless :D

Live2ride
October 14th, 2011, 09:59 PM
The kleen air mod didn't work as well as I had hoped but I noticed a slight difference in the gurgling, which only happens when using a very slight amount of throttle (not even enough to maintain speed). The jumper mod.........:eek:; that's all I can say about that. I have a speedo healer and shogun frame sliders on their way. :D

Kevin2109
October 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
You bastard! :p I need a Speedo healer soon lol oh dude, also i'm doing the pvc throttle mod soon, try it
Posted via Mobile Device

Live2ride
October 15th, 2011, 01:37 PM
It's officially insured; time to go ride. :D

Live2ride
October 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I took her out by a lake / park today and snapped this pic :)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t277/live2skim/IMAG0289.jpg

nickjpass
October 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Oooo pretty!

koenigcitizen
October 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Awesome bike!!!

I like how she looks nekkid too! :)

Be safe on it! Lots of power comparing to little ninjettes :)

Live2ride
October 17th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Installed / calibrated my speedohealer today :D

gogoKawi
October 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Congrats on the bike. You got a pretty good deal there with all the mods, even with the fairings banged up. I would have jumped on that too.

If you haven't already, jump over to the ZX6R.com forum. We've done a bunch of ZX6 rides, mostly in Maryland though. But, we will head out to VA next season for sure.

Live2ride
October 18th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Congrats on the bike. You got a pretty good deal there with all the mods, even with the fairings banged up. I would have jumped on that too.

If you haven't already, jump over to the ZX6R.com forum. We've done a bunch of ZX6 rides, mostly in Maryland though. But, we will head out to VA next season for sure.

Thanks! TBH I've been perusing kawiforums and zx forums but completely neglecting zx6r.com. I don't really enjoy the layout of the site much but I'll definitely have to sign up now :).

greatwhiteninja
October 30th, 2011, 06:37 PM
nice bike.. now i see what you mean as almost same kind of deal as mine..loL! i have some stock parts also if interested, stock muffler with servo cables, suspension links, windscreen, shifter assembly, pass foot pegs with brackets, 53tooth vortex rear sprocket, and... think thats everything. but yeah im with you on the power difference from the 250 to this.. i did the jumper mod, kleen air, k&n and yoshi slip on. getting on the HWY im doing 100 without even trying and have to catch myself, haha!

Live2ride
October 30th, 2011, 06:54 PM
nice bike.. now i see what you mean as almost same kind of deal as mine..loL! i have some stock parts also if interested, stock muffler with servo cables, suspension links, windscreen, shifter assembly, pass foot pegs with brackets, 53tooth vortex rear sprocket, and... think thats everything. but yeah im with you on the power difference from the 250 to this.. i did the jumper mod, kleen air, k&n and yoshi slip on. getting on the HWY im doing 100 without even trying and have to catch myself, haha!

Yup, It pulls away very easily; 100mph is too easy to hit on these things :o. As far as the parts go, I don't need anything right now and I'm actually hoping to sell the bike asap to make room in my shed and in my room. I love the bike but overall it just costs more than I'd like to spend (mainly insurance $$$).

alex.s
October 30th, 2011, 07:00 PM
tried2ride, don't sell your bike. think of all the golf courses you could visit. they make an attachment for mounting golf bags now.
http://2x2cycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/MotorcycleGolfBagCarrier_271x179.png

p.s. did you plug that hole up with gum yet?

greatwhiteninja
October 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM
i guess going from 30hp to 110 ruffly is more then you think it would be lol!

Live2ride
November 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
She's still for sale. (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2680533109.html)

Live2ride
July 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Just an update, sold my 250 and my zx6r and got this bad boy. :thumbup:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/620771_10150992350893110_2098294935_o.jpg

greatwhiteninja
July 24th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I haven't posted on here in a while .. just got a email saying I was subscribed to this thread lol .. nice bike..did you just get rid of the zx6 or it been gone for a while ?

Live2ride
July 24th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I haven't posted on here in a while .. just got a email saying I was subscribed to this thread lol .. nice bike..did you just get rid of the zx6 or it been gone for a while ?

I actually sold the zx6r back in December.

greatwhiteninja
July 24th, 2012, 08:14 AM
i was about to say that took a while to sell..loL! yeah i bought a 2012 z1000 back in feb..

Alex
July 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Just an update, sold my 250 and my zx6r and got this bad boy. :thumbup:

link to edit your profile (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile)

nickjpass
August 6th, 2012, 10:27 PM
You alive!?

Live2ride
April 12th, 2013, 08:28 PM
You alive!?

Alive and well!

Misti
April 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM

OK Kevin, I checked out your YouTube page :D Was there something specific you wanted me to comment on?

:thumbup:

Live2ride
January 22nd, 2014, 08:35 PM
hi! :wave:

Jono
January 22nd, 2014, 08:39 PM
Oh.... hello!