View Full Version : Magnetic iPhone holder for gas tank?

Socal5646
September 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Anyone know of anything of the sort? Don't want to mount it on my bars....

choneofakind
September 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
not that I know of... I'm sure you could work something up with a magnetic tank bag though.

dubojr1
September 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I know magnets make tv screens do funny things... Will magnets effect the iPhone?

cuz
September 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I know magnets make tv screens do funny things... Will magnets effect the iPhone?
yea cameras too (sigh)

miss_syn
September 12th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I saw someone riding by me that had one and I tried to ask but he pulled away as the light turned green. (and it's usually a light that's like a 5 minute red!! ack!)

They definitely exist.

CZroe
October 9th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Though I've never been able to trigger it intentionally, over the years I hae had my iPhones go berserk a few times when carrying my magnetic tank bag and brushing the magnetic side against my pocket during a phone call (using a Bluetooth headset). Usually, the call starts making a horrible screeching noise and I can't hang it up even though the interface is responding to me. I also can't shut it down and have to force it off the hard way (holding Home + Lock/Sleep for 30 seconds while it screeches the whole time). I believe it's caused by the baseband CPU (handles calls and cellular data) locking up while the SOC CPU remains functional (handles iOS, apps, etc). I wouldn't trust a holder with a weaker magnet and one of similar strength used in such close proximity will likely cause these issues.

kcaja1
October 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I have one of those and it's now sitting on my one-time-use gadget bags. The iPhone will overheat in no time and it's really hard to see it on daylight. Just send me the $10, half the cost I've saved you.:D

Socal5646
October 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I have one of those and it's now sitting on my one-time-use gadget bags. The iPhone will overheat in no time and it's really hard to see it on daylight. Just send me the $10, half the cost I've saved you.:D

I'll do you one better and offer you $5 for yours! :)

bluepoof
October 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
. The iPhone will overheat in no time

That's what I was thinking, too. I left mine on dashboard of my car once and by the time I got home, it had overheated and wouldn't run for a few hours until it cooled off. :(

You wouldn't be able to use it with motorcycle gloves on either....not that you would mess with a phone while riding, right? Right? :D

Socal5646
October 10th, 2011, 06:02 PM
As of now I stick jt in the front pocket of my Joe rocket tank bag and it hasn't overheated once! Only problem is the plastic window is about half the size of the screen....