View Full Version : Windscreen....functional or cosmetic??

Socal5646
September 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Was wondering if removing the windshield would cause adverse effects? I'm kind of digging the look without it! Anyone?

scotty
September 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Sucks riding with out it on. The OEM screen really doesn't do anything. I have a Double Bubble screen and I love it.

Socal5646
September 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Lol...you just confused me!??? So does it suck the same with or without the oem shield?

scotty
September 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
There is alot of wind when riding with out it. At almost any speeds. The OEM windscreen is of no use at about 50mph+. You cant really tuck behind it. The double bubble wind screen helps take the wind away from you, and you can tuck completely behind it. :)

choneofakind
September 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM
but to that same effect, without the oem windscreen, you'll get a ton of wind on your chest etc. it doesn't seem like the oem screen is terribly useful, but you'll notice it when it's gone.

nickadolph
September 11th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have my bike all naked no screen, and I think it's is a lot more comfortable on the highway like this. When I had the screen on all the wind was focused right at my head, so I couldn't keep my head steady and experienced a lot neck strain after long rides.

Momaru
September 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
The OEM windscreen is of no use at about 50mph+. You cant really tuck behind it.

Edit: I was talking about my current-gen, none of these statements particularly apply to a pre-gen.

I beg to differ; methinks it depends on the person behind the windscreen. I'm 5'9" and have no trouble comfortably tucking behind the stock windscreen. Yes, I'm just about kissing the triple, but that's no issue for me. Sometimes even rest my chin there :p

That said, I will agree the double bubble does a better job giving you dead airspace. Without the windscreen, there's two fairing fasteners that aren't in use (the lower windscreen ones). Also, expect to be hitting a lot of bugs and small rocks with your chest and now-exposed dash.

I usually just lean into the wind a tad, let it take the load off my core, neck & arms. To each their own though. :thumbup:

Alex
September 11th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Just a reminder that we're in the pre-gen section here, so folks are discussion two different windscreen styles. The new-gen without a screen would look a bit strange. The pre-gen, not so much.

choneofakind
September 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think a pre-gen would look strange without the windscreen if it still had the fairing... there's a portion of the fairing on each side that follows the shape of the windscreen on each side. would look goofy imho

Socal5646
September 11th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Got the idea from this vid

qROcJSq3sXo

Bikes a little beat up, but I kinda like the no shield look!

Momaru
September 12th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Just a reminder that we're in the pre-gen section here, so folks are discussion two different windscreen styles. The new-gen without a screen would look a bit strange. The pre-gen, not so much.

*cough* Thanks Alex :o
Totally missed that fact. *wanders off whistling*

Snake
September 12th, 2011, 07:03 AM
+1 for the ZG Double Bubble.

onetruevibe
September 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Got the idea from this vid

qROcJSq3sXo

Bikes a little beat up, but I kinda like the no shield look!

Without the windscreens, the mirrors and bumps from the control panel make it look like Shrek. :p:p:p

Snake
September 12th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Here is a thread showing my bike before and after installing the ZG Double Bubble. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26360&highlight=Double+bubble

Socal5646
September 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Without the windscreens, the mirrors and bumps from the control panel make it look like Shrek. :p:p:p

Lol...totally agree with you when looking at the ike from the front, but every other angle (side, back)....I'm kind of liking! I even kind of like the look without the entire front fairing!

choneofakind
September 12th, 2011, 12:48 PM
If i were to go windscreen-less on my bike, I would take the windscreen and cut it off level with the top of the gauges so it looked like it was meant to be that way, rather than just missing a windscreen. that way the screw holes are covered up

Socal5646
September 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking I"m gonna cut it level to the fairing and paint it red to match the body...thanks for the tips!

Snake
September 12th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I just realized I never answered the question. Yes, I believe it is functional and even more so when replaced with a double bubble.

bhalv
September 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM
crashed and haven't had a wind screen for the last few thousand miles, gotta say i wish it was still there.

JLinde1339
September 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Took mine off, along with the front fairings and cowl. I'm 6'+ and used to get the wind right in the face. Now, its more evenly distributed on the face and chest. In a tight tuck, its not so bad. I've done 80+ with and without it, and I think the difference is negligible. I also prefer the look of a bare front end.

Ride nekkid FTW!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Socal5646
September 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Took mine off, along with the front fairings and cowl. I'm 6'+ and used to get the wind right in the face. Now, its more evenly distributed on the face and chest. In a tight tuck, its not so bad. I've done 80+ with and without it, and I think the difference is negligible. I also prefer the look of a bare front end.

Ride nekkid FTW!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice bike! That's exactly the style of "look" I had pictured in my mind...I decided to go with a 696 monster! (but the new 2012 848 street fighter is looking real appealing too). Funny...cause if I were makin this decision 3 years ago I would have bought an evo 848 and made my ninja look like yours...

JLinde1339
September 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks! Glad others appreciate the style too. The more I read on here, the more I found that I liked that look. Was inspired by CerberusRex and his project, and since the fairings were cracked when I bought it, I thot it looked cheap. I've done some more changes since I took that pic (at least the one I think you're referencing) and need to get a more updated one. For legal reasons, I pulled the flushmount blinkers off the fairing and wedged them between the gromets of the front headlight. Then secured them with electrical tape. (Go ahead, call it a roach bike, I'm over it. LOL) and I also put a radiator grate on to replace the grille that was part of the lower cowl. The radiator grate I painted purple, and that's a theme I want to continue as I make changes. Thinking of painting the frame purple someday, and getting ahold of some purple rims. Or just painting mine purple. Dunno yet. Been more concerned with the mechanical end lately to worry about cosmetics, but I've always got ideas kicking around.
Posted via Mobile Device

kimboEX250
September 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
depends, i commute daily on the bike and when the cold weather hits i'll be getting one of these bad boys
i rode mine around for a few days without fairings while tuning the carbs and got alot of head shake at about 60mph
BUT, for hot roddin around town on the weekends, the street fighter look ain't bad

alex.s
September 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM
the windscreen is actually a disguised wing to increase downforce. if you watch the racers like rossi very carefully you'll see them push and pull on the wind screen control lever on the bottom of their bike with their foot to modify downforce like the F1 cars. if you take it completely off it'll be like having DRS on and you'll get an extra 10mph top speed but sacrifice in the corners. double bubble screens however are like having those ricer wings on and make you bottom out at high speeds if you don't have a custom DRS lever installed...