View Full Version : Ducati Monster 696...anyone?

Socal5646
September 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Thinking of adding one to the garage...anyone ever ride one? Is the abs worth it?

ducducgooseit
September 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I rode one. The 696 is a hoot. IMO, ABS is a good buy if you ride in poor weather environment (snow, slush, ice, heavy rain), not so sure it's worth it in LA.

alex.s
September 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
my sister in law has a pink one

Socal5646
September 14th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Custom paint I'm sure??? I'm thinking the white one!

Socal5646
September 14th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I rode one. The 696 is a hoot. IMO, ABS is a good buy if you ride in poor weather environment (snow, slush, ice, heavy rain), not so sure it's worth it in LA.

Feedback much appreciated!

Mountain Dew
September 14th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Nah, they have a bunch of different art options for the Monsters. But it costs an extra $900, because you bike the bike as it is, and they sell you the fairings and gas tank. So you have the art ones and the stock ones. You keep whatever frame color that comes with the bike though.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/monster/696/index.do

And by pink, do you mean this one?

If so, that's more purple. Lilac to be exact. The color is called Lilla Glamour.

(I know all this because I reallllly wanted that one :3)

[edit] Sorry about the huge picture, it wasn't that big when I copied the link :/

Lil_Green_Demon
September 15th, 2011, 12:14 AM
OP, let us know if you end up getting the bike or not. Those bad boys are sweet! If I wasn't such a noob rider-- and money wasn't too big of an issue-- I'd definitely have a Ducati in my garage.

ducducgooseit
September 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
IMO re: 696. Good torque but not overwhelming. Front brakes good but not as good as duc superbike brakes (which I reaaaallly like). Turns fine. Lightweight. Exhaust fun but not too loud. More sporty rider position than 250 but not as severe as duc superbikes. I think it is a good city bike. Can do canyon action jus' fine. Good gas mileage but not in the 250's league - think 40's. Keep in mind it's not a supposed to be a hardcore track bike and it's a HOOT to ride.

If you get da duc, I suggest either a full exhaust from either Akra or Termi. Both sound :thumbup:.

Please note, I ride ducs and may not be as unbiased as others.

Carry on.

2011Ninja250R
September 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I test rode one of the 796's here in Columbus, OH. I instantly feel in love with the bike. They are beautiful and white is so sharp. I say go for it. They sound mean as hell with the Termi exhaust.

Skippii
September 17th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I've only ridden the 1100S, but I definately liked it!

Toper
September 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM
im giving the 696 a serious look as my next bike...apart from the power upgrade, it does 3 things i want that the 250 dont (abs, fi, and slipper clutch)

Toly
September 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM
How does da Monster ride compared to Ninja? In details, please! Highway, canyons, backroads, the whole works, please. How does its powerband feel, how well does it handle compared to Ninjette?

dk58
September 18th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I've ridden an s2r800, and honestly it left alot to be desired. Didn't handle nearly as good as I hoped, and power wasn't what I would have expected. I think the sv650 is an all around better buy for an entry level V-twin sport bike. I was a lot happier with it over the ducati.

Toly
September 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks! Now, can anyone provide an unbiased review of 696?

Heed
September 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM
i love that bikes style. i want to own one someday maybe.

blink
September 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM
They are sick, my friends brother got one..

Not sure about the whole monster class, but they don't have crazy hp which I was surprised at?!?
Monster was my dream bike because the styling is purely raw.

dk58
September 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Blink- Most monsters, except the s4r, only have two valves per cylinder so they are tame compared to the Duc super sports. :thumbup:

blink
September 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Ahhhhh, thank you.
Not too familiar with the Italians. =/

Toly
September 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Ok, I rode a Monster today... it wasn't a 696, but an 1100 :) It was great - lots of torque, but tame enough. The best part was leaning in the turns - without fairing and with wide handlebars it felt like a roller coaster ride. Ninja is a fun to ride bike, but the Monster left me grinning from ear to ear. Although it did vibrate too much for my likes, and clutch was quite stiff, almost painful. I think a 696 or 796 would be perfect.

In short, on Ninja you riding a nimble bike - a Monster feels like you're riding without a bike altogether, it almost blends with your body and thoughts. It is definitely a more fun bike. I hope that 696 / 97, being lighter and smoother would make a perfect second bike.

Toly
October 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM
As a follow-up, I got a ride on a 696 today. A totally amazing bike - light, nimble and tons of fun. Compared to 1100 it has much lighter clutch and softer suspension. The engine feels just right - the vibrations are softer and give it character without being punishing. The bike handles amazing on the curves, and is quite capable on the highway. The powerband is fun to explore: flat and plentiful torque.

It is a very fun bike, with a character and a personality. But, performance-wise it is not that much different from a Ninja. It pulls away stronger, and is an easier ride on the highway, but it's not a night-and-day difference. Today, it would be a perfect bike, but one might get "bored" with it in a few months. It's a lot of fun, but one might start wishing for something spicier after a season of riding. I wonder how would a 796 compare.

DarC
October 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Twins with leave you grinnin time after time :)

The monster is a very capable bike that can rock speeds through the canyons that the ninja just can't muster, and I found it considerably different when compared to the N250 The only way to get bored is to not improve your riding skills and thus get tired of the bump in acceleration. I would say that the 796 would provide you with a nice platform that can keep you grinning just as well as the 696 and provide that extra bump you might desire from the butt meter, either way you will get accustomed to the twin powerband fairly easy (bored?). It's just the way they are. It just means you need to rider it harder.

jrrob101
November 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM
ah that's the next bike I want after the 250. I love the naked look!