View Full Version : Grrrrrrrr!

n4mwd
September 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Ok, my bike went down today with me on it, but I wasn't moving. Its one of those stories where I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Here's what happened.

I went to a shopping center and parked next to two other bikes in a sidewalk area that runs between two grassy areas out in the parking lot. While I was inside, some a$$hole turned on the sprinklers. Its illegal to do that in the daytime down here. There was one right next to my bike. They pop up out of the ground and while I was trying to get to the bike, I tripped over one. That weakened it somehow. Now I get on the bike and before I could do anything, it rest of it blows and now its shooting up a geyser about 6' in the air. Looked a lot like those TV shows where they run over a fire hydrant. Anyhow, I'm right under the dam thing. It was like a garden hose squirting in my face. I jump back and the bike went over on its side. It was still in gear so I couldn't move it.

Since I hadn't put my helmet on yet, it filled up like a bucket. My jacket is mesh and it went right through it.

Not to mention the fact that they weren't using city water. It looked like something they got out of a canal. Everywhere it hit the bike it left a stain.

My poor bike suffered injuries to its turn signal and mirror. The mirror went back OK, but I'll need to pull the front cowling to fix it properly. I had to go several other places, so I had to do it soaking wet.

Fortunately there were four or five good Samaritan body builder types that ran over and helped me. One put his foot over the sprinkler and another helped lift the bike back up.

When I came home I had to clean all the mud off with a bunch of lemon pledge. Some of the stains didn't come off.

It was kind of comical in a way, but not so funny when you're the guy that is all wet with a bike on its side.

:mad:

I probably wont go back there for a while, but if I do and see a sprinkler running in the daytime, I'll probably go postal. :mad:

akima
September 23rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
That looks like the beginnings of a sprinkler phobia if ever there was one :p

On a serious note: Sorry to hear about your accident, but it's good it was only your stuff that was hurt and not you. You can restore your bike back to its original glory in your own time.

LazinCajun
September 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have to admit -- I laughed picturing this scene. All it needed was the theme song from Benny Hill. :) Hopefully you can laugh about it too once the sting wears off.

n4mwd
September 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah, my eyes are still burning from that stuff. I took a shower as soon as I got home, but if it isn't better by morning, then I may have to go to the doctor.

At least my Ninja will recover.

Interestingly enough, I was expecting to get rained on today because of the weather, but instead I get soaked by the broken sprinkler system. I never got rained on the whole time I was out. The rain doesn't smell as bad anyway.

GeorgiaHooligan
September 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Lmao

n4mwd
September 26th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I'm going to make some special trips over there to see if they are running their sprinklers again. I've decided to make a special effort to catch them and call the water police on them. Yes, they actually have that here. Its a $1500 fine.

greg737
September 26th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Not to mention the fact that they weren't using city water. It looked like something they got out of a canal. Everywhere it hit the bike it left a stain.

Do you think they're using "recycled water" or "reclaimed water" in that sprinkler system?

Full points for originality (there will never be a "!%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I got sprinkled with sewage!" sub-forum).

n4mwd
September 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Do you think they're using "recycled water" or "reclaimed water" in that sprinkler system?

Full points for originality (there will never be a "!%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I got sprinkled with sewage!" sub-forum).

Well I was definitely concerned about that. I got sick the next day, but AFAIK, it didn't last too long. But sprinkled is an understatement. It was more like "I was hosed". There was enough force to knock me off the bike. Fortunately, the bike's injuries were only minor.

itsa250bro
September 30th, 2011, 01:51 PM
"Adventures suck while you are having them..."
[Neil Peart] :drum:

n4mwd
September 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM
"Adventures suck while you are having them..."
[Neil Peart] :drum:

You mean, bad adventures suck. Most of my bike adventures have been pretty good.

In this case, I called the water police today and told them about my "adventure" last friday and that I was going over there today to check on them again. Its a $1500 fine if they get caught. So when I get there today, somebody had JUST turned them off because there was water all around the sprinklers, but no sprinkler actually running.

Normally I wouldn't give a spit about someone else running their sprinklers, but for a retail business like this to run it during business hours (which is illegal down here) and get everyone's car or bike stained, is not cool.

So basically, I figure this is a better way to get vengeance than breaking windows.

CZroe
October 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
There are often exceptions, like when planting new seeds or laying sod.

n4mwd
October 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM
There are often exceptions, like when planting new seeds or laying sod.

Yes, but down here that requires hand watering with a hose. There was no sod or seeds where I was at. Also, the water police told me that businesses weren't even allowed to do that on Fridays.

I'm still mad because my bike has recently taken ill (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=384140#post384140) and I suspect the fall might have had something to do with it.