View Full Version : Akima in a Ditch

akima
September 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Yep. Sadly I am starting a thread in this area of the forum. Me and my motorcycle are ok though.

Here's what happened....

The Event

Around 12:30 I was feeling a bit tense and cooped up having been inside for most the day, so I decided to head out for a ride in the surrounding countryside. I put on all my gear (like a good girl!) and stepped out of the house to find the sun out and the sky; a clear and cloudless blue.

I headed off on my Ninjette and immediately started feeling chilled and calm. I found a set of great roads in a direction I hadn't ridden in before.

After a while I felt that it was a good time to turn back. I stopped in this little village, turned the bike around and headed back. I was heading home on the same roads that I came in on, so I figured it would be ok to up the pace a lil bit as I was more familiar with the turns.

The third corner I came to is an incredibly tight, not incredibly grippy 90 degree turn:

Beginning of turn:
(You can see it veers off to the left.)

Turn continues...

Turn continues...

Turn continues...

Ideally I'd be riding off into the distance after that turn, but in reality I ended up in this ditch:
Their is a lamp post to the right of that sign with only about a 2 meter gap between it and the sign. I could of hit either on of them, but ended up going through the middle. That could have been expensive.

I think this tyre mark on the road was created by me:

Having landed in the ditch I quickly became aware of my trapped leg and noticed a liquid collecting under the fairings, so I panicked and yanked my leg out. (lots of thoughts of a trapped motorcyclist being burnt were going through my head). My leg came out quite easily. The engine was off, but I flicked the emergency cut-out anyway. I stripped my helmet, gloves and jacket off and moved them away from the bike. It wasn't too difficult getting the bike upright (this gal has strong legs!), but I couldn't get it out of the ditch, so I waited...

The first person to stop was a girl around my age. She didn't look that strong and also looked quite dressed up, so we both knew that the two of us wouldn't be able to get it out. I encouraged her to leave, but she waited until someone else turned up (which was very considerate of her). A husband and wife pulled up next. They got straight out and started helping to move it. Finally 1 more guy got out of his car and joined us. It took all four of us, but we got it out. We realised after it was out of the ditch, that the bike was in gear and the back wheel hadn't been rolling. I'm hoping we didn't damage the engine by forcing it. I figure it should be ok, because it shouldn't be any more force than if I was engine breaking... right?

The bike didn't start so I called break down recovery.

We waited:

I spent an hour on the side of the road doing yoga, dancing, laughing at my failure, thinking about what I did wrong and gradually dehydrating before the break down recovery guy arrived.

He slipped it into neutral and started it on his first attempt!! I thought Ninjettes started in gear so long as the kick stand is up and the clutch depressed? I guess not! Embarrassing :o

I couldn't ride it straight away though because of this: (spot the problem!)

The mechanic (who himself is a rider: owns a tuned up, 1000CC Ducati) told me off for calling my motorcycle "her" when apparently I should be calling the bike an "it" :p However!! Directly after he told me off, he picked up the bike off its stand and my girl let out this extremely human sounding squeal - it sounded like "she was in pain" <-- his words! I heard her do it early on after the crash too! We both looked at each other and I gave him a "I told you so stare" :D

He straightened out the shifter just enough to make it possible for me to awkwardly ride home... which I did.

Bike Damage

Only the left side of the bike took any force.

The fairings were scratched a bit, but nothing too bad.

The shift lever was bent, but the rest of that mechanism looks ok.

The left indicator popped off. I think I should be able to clip it back on again.

Other than that, just miscellaneous patches of dirt and scratches.

Rider Damage

Bruised ego. I thought I was immune from this silly crashing business... apparently not! :rolleyes:

Stingy nettle stings.

No loss of confidence. I actually feel like I've come out of that a better rider.

The Cause of the Incident

Definite rider error.

I think the speed I was going would have been ok with a more confident more experienced rider.

When I leant into the turn I felt the bike loose traction a little bit. I did the classic fear reaction and target fixated on where I didn't want to be, I straightened up the bike and slammed on the front break before ending up in the ditch. I didn't enter the ditch that quickly.

What I think, I should have done was stay on the throttle, set my glare towards where I wanted to go and continued the turn. I did go onto the wrong side of the road, but after that happened I could have easily completed the turn and got back onto my side of the road if I had just stayed in the game and looked toward where I wanted to go.

Lesson learned, and I came out of it ok.

greg737
September 28th, 2011, 10:02 AM
stepped out of the house to find the sun out and the sky; a clear and cloudless blue.

It was a setup! In England you should have been immediately suspicious.

Alex
September 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Glad you're OK! Based on what you've written, I agree with your assessment. Unless someone gets the entry speed wildly wrong, odds are just pointing the bike where you want it to go, looking where you want to go, and applying enough steering input will get the bike safely through just about any corner. Nailing the brakes during the turn, standing the bike up and then trying to still make the turn, are both more likely to take the bike off the side of the road. Hopefully, and luckily in this case, it ends up landing on something relatively soft. :)

Alex
September 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM

:rotflmao:

massacremasses
September 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM

I agree! Sabotage!

glad you're ok!

akima
September 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Oh... forgot to mention... I'm pretty sure my protective boots saved me from a bad injury. My ankle and foot were momentarily being twisted and crushed under the bike! :eek:

lol, true! It's just started getting really cold out, but today, there was this summer-like sunshine, blue-skies and heat that lured me outside... to my DOOM!!! :p

HKr1
September 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Bummer..... Good to hear your OK.

rockNroll
September 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Glad you're ok!
At least it didn't start raining. :thumbup:

Mr.E
September 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Lol. I enjoyed the read, but not the situation. Glad to hear you're ok though and that the bike is alive. Perhaps it didnt start up right away for you because the engine was flooded? If I've read right, usually when it's flooded it wont start up, so having it up right for a while let the engine drain. But, I know nothing.

I like how you had a "bruised ego" yet still danced and did yoga on the side of the road while you waited. Lol. You should've done it in full gear while people passed. I found myself dancing in full gear the other day at Mcdonalds with a bunch of friends in the parking lot. Needless to say, there were looks, but it was fun lol.

But like I said, glad your ok, and glad to see the bike will live to see another day x-)

Honko
September 28th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I'm glad you were able to split the gap between the two more horrible outcomes of the sign post or lamp pole :D. Hopefully your bike is back in tip-top shape soon.

akima
September 28th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Lol. I enjoyed the read, but not the situation. Glad to hear you're ok though and that the bike is alive. Perhaps it didnt start up right away for you because the engine was flooded? If I've read right, usually when it's flooded it wont start up, so having it up right for a while let the engine drain. But, I know nothing.

I like how you had a "bruised ego" yet still danced and did yoga on the side of the road while you waited. Lol. You should've done it in full gear while people passed. I found myself dancing in full gear the other day at Mcdonalds with a bunch of friends in the parking lot. Needless to say, there were looks, but it was fun lol.

But like I said, glad your ok, and glad to see the bike will live to see another day x-)

Thanks.

As for the not starting. I think it might have been flooded. I just went outside to see if I could start it in gear (with the stand up and the clutch disengaged). It started!

Strangely the bike starts much more easily in neutral than it does in 1st gear. Any thoughts on why that might be? I'm taking her into the garage tomorrow anyway - I can ask them too.

Alex
September 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Even with the clutch pulled in, there is still some friction between the engine and the rear wheel when the bike is in gear. With the bike in neutral, there should be no connection at all from the drivetrain to the rear wheel. If all is working as it should, the difference should be quite minor, and there shouldn't be much drag. But - perhaps it could cause the bike to appear to start somewhat easier in neutral.

Have you cast your vote in our infamous sticky thread poll (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913) yet? :o

akima
September 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Even with the clutch pulled in, there is still some friction between the engine and the rear wheel when the bike is in gear. With the bike in neutral, there should be no connection at all from the drivetrain to the rear wheel. If all is working as it should, the difference should be quite minor, and there shouldn't be much drag. But - perhaps it could cause the bike to appear to start somewhat easier in neutral.

Have you cast your vote in our infamous sticky thread poll (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913) yet? :o

I can't picture what you just said in my mind, but I have quite an incomplete mental picture of how the bike works. I'll probably understand better in the future. Thanks for your input though. I know you're pretty clued up with your mechanics; especially so compared to me :p

As for the poll: I already filled it out a while ago: I choose "I've never dropped it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it." :rolleyes:

Alex
September 28th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Pulling in the clutch lever releases much of the pressure that is holding the clutch plates together. That's what separates the engine from the rear wheel, right? But - it doesn't release 100% of the pressure, and there is still some friction between the clutch plates that means that the engine is still somewhat, however slightly, connected to the rear wheel when the bike is in gear. Even with the clutch lever pulled in.

If the transmission is in neutral, whether the clutch lever is pulled in or not, there is almost no friction (still not none, but almost none) between the engine and the rear wheel.

jamesio
September 28th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Noooooo not my ninjette nurse! :( Is it my turn to play doctor now? ;) :lol: This is wierd...me and you both ended up in ditches! :lol:

I'm glad you are ok! :) You're bike looks like it barely took any damage, and good job going between the signs and not into one! :thumbup:

akima
September 28th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Pulling in the clutch lever releases much of the pressure that is holding the clutch plates together. That's what separates the engine from the rear wheel, right? But - it doesn't release 100% of the pressure, and there is still some friction between the clutch plates that means that the engine is still somewhat, however slightly, connected to the rear wheel when the bike is in gear. Even with the clutch lever pulled in.

If the transmission is in neutral, whether the clutch lever is pulled in or not, there is almost no friction (still not none, but almost none) between the engine and the rear wheel.

Ah! That makes perfect sense now. I always imagined the clutch lever completely disconnecting the plates. TY ;)

The bike is struggling to start more than usual whether in gear or in neutral. I'll ask at the garage tomorrow what they think is the cause.

akima
September 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Noooooo not my ninjette nurse! :( Is it my turn to play doctor now? ;) :lol: This is wierd...me and you both ended up in ditches! :lol:

I'm glad you are ok! :) You're bike looks like it barely took any damage, and good job going between the signs and not into one! :thumbup:

Hiya Doc :D

Yep: is weird! I think the common denominator might be that we are both too excitable when it comes to corners and that excitement somewhat overrides our ability to think clearly about what we're doing :p

I think it was fluke and stupidity that caused me to miss the signs. For some reason my panicked mind was worried about and target fixating on the soft, padded ditch. If my mind was more sensible it would have been worried about and target fixated on the solid wooden pole (which would have destroyed my Ninjette). Saved by my stupidity.

I think the word "accident" probably fits it better than "crash". By the time I was on the verge I had scraped off most of the speed. All that was left was a little bit of momentum, a frightened rider and a ditch :eek: I bumped to a stop and then the bike and me dropped to the left. It felt like it all happened very quickly, but I don't think it was that fast. Time is supposed to slow down damnit!! :rolleyes:

akima
September 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Bike :(
You :)
Back at it again :thumbup:

I was pretty lucky. Lots of the crashes in this forum are much worse. I guess the corner being as tight as it was actually helped me out - it meant that even in a worse case scenario where I got no breaking in, the crash wouldn't have been that bad, as I had shaved off a lot of speed to prepare for that corner (clearly not enough!). That was a scary looking wooden post that I shot by though!

CThunder-blue
September 28th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I've been in the same situation. I went down, but unlike you, it wasn't in a nice ditch. I'm glad you're ok though :)

WhiteRice
September 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm glad your body and spirit are no worse for wear.

Fix up and ride on!

the big mike
September 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I lowsided my bike last week and it wouldn't start either. Only 5 minutes later I tried it again and it fired up without any problem, just like your bike did. I think the bike just needs some time to let all of the fluids sink to their right position again. :)

itsa250bro
September 29th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Akima - so sorry to hear about this but, I'm glad to hear you and the bike are mostly OK.

The best part (of a bad situation) is that it sounds like you figured out exactly what you did wrong - so hopefully, this is a 1-time learning experience.

I'm really curious about the tire marks on the road though - I can't figure out what caused them - do you think the rear wheel locked up? Do you think you were turning sharp enough to leave tire marks?

akima
September 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the good wishes from everyone who posted. I can only hope that if ever any of you crash [again?] you're as lucky as I was.

Akima - so sorry to hear about this but, I'm glad to hear you and the bike are mostly OK.

The best part (of a bad situation) is that it sounds like you figured out exactly what you did wrong - so hopefully, this is a 1-time learning experience.

I'm really curious about the tire marks on the road though - I can't figure out what caused them - do you think the rear wheel locked up? Do you think you were turning sharp enough to leave tire marks?

I don't plan on doing the same thing again - the main things I've come away with from that accident are:
* Look where you want to go.
* Don't target fixate on where you don't want to go.
* You're still a noobie! Don't try and ride like you're experienced.

I knew all of that stuff before, but I haven't been tested until yesterday.

I want to go to a track day so I can get a better feel of my bike's physics while in a safe[r] environment. I want to be sure in my mind about what happens when I do various motions.

As for the skid. I guessed it was mine, but it might not have been. It follows my trajectory. I wasn't going that fast though - 20 to 30 MPH. It really is a tight corner. I felt the bike loose traction as I was going around the turn. I don't think I started breaking until I brought the bike upright, so I don't think those tire marks were left by me breaking. Basically: you tell me! :rolleyes:

LOL: today my arms and legs are so sore! I don't think they were bashed hard. I think they're sore because I got a rush of adrenalin directly after I landed in the ditch which gave me the strength to muscle the bike upright. Normally I wouldn't be able to do that. So today it feels like I spent the whole of yesterday lifting weights. :p

RaZeDaHeLL
September 29th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about your crash! What happened to you sounds almost exactly like what happened to me while out riding with my sister in Jersey. I was on unfamiliar roads and hit a downward curve too fast. I was warned about the curve but did not expect it to be that bad and couldn't see what was coming because of trees blocking my view. I was actually able to straighten the bike out and slam the breaks. Luckily there was nobody behind me. I was THIS close to ending up in the ditch and wrecking my sisters bike.

The things I learned from this are exactly like the things you learned. When you find yourself in this situation look where you want the bike to go, don't fixate on anything. I fixated on the ditch and found myself heading straight into it. I was lucky that time, it taught me a lesson I will never forget.

Also it taught me to be careful on unfamiliar roads :)

I hope that you're not badly hurt and your bike has minimum damage. Sounds like all that stuff can be easily replaced. You live, you learn. That's a part of life. :)

RaZeDaHeLL
September 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I've been in the same situation. I went down, but unlike you, it wasn't in a nice ditch. I'm glad you're ok though :)

Yea, I think landing in a ditch is a hell of a lot better than landing on concrete or smacking into a guardrail. That would have been horrible. :(

Snake
September 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash but am glad that both you and the bike are ok.

Jiggles
September 29th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Who needs protective gear when you have free healthcare!?

Glad to hear your ok :thumbup:

Firehorse
September 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM
:eek:
Thank goodness you're okay! And the bike is too by the sounds of things. A small price to pay for all you've learned - and helped remind us newbies! When I saw that skid mark, all I could think of was a truck coming the other lane, made my stomach go kind of queasy.

On the bright side, you've learned about the clutch too :thumbup: Mine won't start in gear OR with the kickstand down. Probably a good thing for a newbie like me.
Glad to hear you danced. We all gotta do it sometimes and thank the bike gods for every ride :-)

For you:
bgVfg90GczE

vjJChK9o0_E

reaubideux
September 30th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I couldn't ride it straight away though because of this: (spot the problem!)
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15095&d=1317226428

Well... yeah...

Kickstand is down.

:D
Glad you're okay and the bike is relatively okay as well.

ninja250
September 30th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Glad you made it out OK.
Looks like a nice fluffy place to crash, minus the poles to the left and right.

Nice Shifter Taco. ;)

akima
September 30th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Glad you made it out OK.
Looks like a nice fluffy place to crash, minus the poles to the left and right.

Nice Shifter Taco. ;)

Thanks! I bet if I searched around the surrounding area for ideal places to crash, that spot would be in my top 10. Maybe I have a guardian angel watching over me?! :angel:

I've had the shifter straightened now. It's still a bit bent, but it works fine so I'm happy.

dale-j
October 4th, 2011, 04:22 PM
The bike is struggling to start more than usual whether in gear or in neutral. I'll ask at the garage tomorrow what they think is the cause.

A few likely causes of this, some of which you might check on your own:

1) crashing is hard on batteries. If you haven't jarred and jolted it enough to dislodge a lead plate in the battery and lead to a short, you still may have had the bike on its side for long enough that battery acid drained out of it via the vent hose and has left the plates partially exposed. Filling with acid is not NORMALLY recommended when fluid loss is due to evaporation, but in this case if it's low you should find some undiluted electrolyte (dealer or battery shop) and top it up. If the battery has a dislodged or damaged plate leading to an internal short, it will simply need to be replaced.

2) the carburetors can drain fuel into the engine oil in some cases when the bike is lying on its side. In addition to wrecking the lubricating ability of the oil the higher sump level can lead to running issues, breather overflow and oily air filter. High sump level (excess crank windage and pumping losses) and oily air filter will both cause hard starting and poor running. You can check the oil level and smell to make sure there is no fuel in the oil - it will smell like gas and the level will be over the full line if this is the case. Changing the oil and cleaning the air filter (if it's excessively oily) will fix this.

3) the jolt and lying on its side can cause your float needle valves to stick and lead to hard starting and boggy rich running when the fuel bowls overfill. Sometimes this leads to fuel puddling under the bike, sometimes it leads to gas getting into the oil and the symptoms in #2 above, sometimes it is just hard to start and runs poorly at idle and low throttle openings. Carb removal, disassembly, cleaning and reinstallation should fix it. Of course you could always add a jet kit while you're in there (evil grin).... sometimes a sharp (but not hard) tap with a hammer and a piece of wooden dowel against the carb float bowl can set them back right (but be careful).

All in, a good thing that you're not hurt badly. This is all minor stuff....

Steve

akima
October 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM
A few likely causes of this, some of which you might check on your own:

1) crashing is hard on batteries. If you haven't jarred and jolted it enough to dislodge a lead plate in the battery and lead to a short, you still may have had the bike on its side for long enough that battery acid drained out of it via the vent hose and has left the plates partially exposed. Filling with acid is not NORMALLY recommended when fluid loss is due to evaporation, but in this case if it's low you should find some undiluted electrolyte (dealer or battery shop) and top it up. If the battery has a dislodged or damaged plate leading to an internal short, it will simply need to be replaced.

2) the carburetors can drain fuel into the engine oil in some cases when the bike is lying on its side. In addition to wrecking the lubricating ability of the oil the higher sump level can lead to running issues, breather overflow and oily air filter. High sump level (excess crank windage and pumping losses) and oily air filter will both cause hard starting and poor running. You can check the oil level and smell to make sure there is no fuel in the oil - it will smell like gas and the level will be over the full line if this is the case. Changing the oil and cleaning the air filter (if it's excessively oily) will fix this.

3) the jolt and lying on its side can cause your float needle valves to stick and lead to hard starting and boggy rich running when the fuel bowls overfill. Sometimes this leads to fuel puddling under the bike, sometimes it leads to gas getting into the oil and the symptoms in #2 above, sometimes it is just hard to start and runs poorly at idle and low throttle openings. Carb removal, disassembly, cleaning and reinstallation should fix it. Of course you could always add a jet kit while you're in there (evil grin).... sometimes a sharp (but not hard) tap with a hammer and a piece of wooden dowel against the carb float bowl can set them back right (but be careful).

All in, a good thing that you're not hurt badly. This is all minor stuff....

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to tell me about those potential issues.

I'm wondering if point #2 and #3 apply to my bike. My bike is fuel injected and in those two points you were mentioning carburetors.

I'll have a look at the battery.

;)

dale-j
October 5th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for taking the time to tell me about those potential issues.

I'm wondering if point #2 and #3 apply to my bike. My bike is fuel injected and in those two points you were mentioning carburetors.

I'll have a look at the battery.

;)

Lucky you. We only get carbs here, and that (not-so-little) difference will mean that there will not be a fuel system issue with either overflow or floats.

That said, being on its side may still have allowed some oil to exit the crankcase breather and to foul the air filter so in addition to the battery (it's in the same area) a quick check of the air filter might be in order.

akima
October 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Lucky you. We only get carbs here, and that (not-so-little) difference will mean that there will not be a fuel system issue with either overflow or floats.

That said, being on its side may still have allowed some oil to exit the crankcase breather and to foul the air filter so in addition to the battery (it's in the same area) a quick check of the air filter might be in order.

Ah, excellent. I will definitely check the air filter then. Thanks for the tip. I'm surprised the guy at the Kawi shop didn't check it when he was doing the other minor repairs I asked for. I told him that I saw a liquid collecting in the fairings when the bike was on its side.

Are there any disadvantages to fuel injection?

dale-j
October 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM

It's expensive, and some people don't like the way it shuts off completely when closing the throttle at higher rpm, so that reapplication of the throttle leads to a lurch (also referred to as snatchiness). For the most part, it's a dramatic improvement though and it is much more tolerant of people who ride their bikes only occasionally, as there is no fuel bowl or small jets to gum up. Tuning can be done electronically (Power Commander) as opposed to needing to pull the carbs to change jets, and the system will automatically compensate for elevation and temperature in a way that carbs just can't.

All in, I really like the fuel injection on my Moto Guzzi and if they offered a fuel injected 250r in Canada we'd have one.:thumbup:

akima
October 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
It's expensive, and some people don't like the way it shuts off completely when closing the throttle at higher rpm, so that reapplication of the throttle leads to a lurch (also referred to as snatchiness). For the most part, it's a dramatic improvement though and it is much more tolerant of people who ride their bikes only occasionally, as there is no fuel bowl or small jets to gum up. Tuning can be done electronically (Power Commander) as opposed to needing to pull the carbs to change jets, and the system will automatically compensate for elevation and temperature in a way that carbs just can't.

All in, I really like the fuel injection on my Moto Guzzi and if they offered a fuel injected 250r in Canada we'd have one.:thumbup:

I heard someone talking about how jump starting a few injected bike could be dodgy. Is there any sense in that statement?

rusninja
October 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM
wth happened to the motorcycle rule no crashing!

dale-j
October 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I heard someone talking about how jump starting a few injected bike could be dodgy. Is there any sense in that statement?

I hope not. Just jump started the Guzzi on the weekend because I left the grip heaters on (oops...) and didn't notice any issues.

I suppose if you were trying to 'bump' (push) start a bike instead of using jumper cables, that you might need a bit more left in the battery though, to run the fuel pump ... normal bikes still need to run the CDI, coils and spark plugs to do this though so I don't think it's a really material difference.

akima
October 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM

Hiya Steve. So I took the right-side cover off just now and gave the air cleaner, element ( the spongy-thing) a quick look. The right hand side of it looks pristine and clean, but about 1 quarter of the left hand side looks wet and is a slightly darker colour. I'm guessing that's the oil you predicted might be there. There is also a very small amount of debris on the left side; tiny bits of leaves and things - I picked the big bits out. Do you think I need to follow the manual air-cleaner element cleaning procedure, or do you think, based on my description, that it's ok to be left as-is?

Thanks! ;)

dale-j
October 11th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hiya Steve. So I took the right-side cover off just now and gave the air cleaner, element ( the spongy-thing) a quick look. The right hand side of it looks pristine and clean, but about 1 quarter of the left hand side looks wet and is a slightly darker colour. I'm guessing that's the oil you predicted might be there. There is also a very small amount of debris on the left side; tiny bits of leaves and things - I picked the big bits out. Do you think I need to follow the manual air-cleaner element cleaning procedure, or do you think, based on my description, that it's ok to be left as-is?

Thanks! ;)

You can just pick the bits out or blow it off with compressed air, and squeeze any excess oil out of it (I put a paper towel over mine and press)... the oil won't hurt it unless it's soggy and blocking air flow, as that's what helps trap the dirt. If it's dirty or gritty then it calls for a full cleaning.

akima
October 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
You can just pick the bits out or blow it off with compressed air, and squeeze any excess oil out of it (I put a paper towel over mine and press)... the oil won't hurt it unless it's soggy and blocking air flow, as that's what helps trap the dirt. If it's dirty or gritty then it calls for a full cleaning.

Thanks for the advice ;)

greatwhiteninja
October 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
at least your bike isnt covered in spikes :0

akima
October 12th, 2011, 08:19 AM
:p

n4mwd
October 14th, 2011, 05:32 AM
...I told him that I saw a liquid collecting in the fairings when the bike was on its side.

None really - except cost maybe.

How fast were you going into the curve?

On the brake issue, its OK to hit the brakes prior to a curve so that you enter it slower, but once you are in the curve you need to leave them alone. Once the rears break loose in a curve, its like riding on ice.

But I don't blame you entirely. I didn't see any chevron signs marking the curve in your pictures. I don't know about the UK, but they are required in the US. It would have been nice to know the curve was that tight before you wiped out in it.

Look under the mid section of your bike near the kick stand to see if there are any tubes hanging down. I have never seen a FI Ninja so I wouldn't know. My pregen has them so he's a boy. If yours doesn't, she's a girl.:D

bonbon76
October 14th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I did this same thing, well almost when I first got my bike/license and the first time I ever rode with someone else. The on ramp going onto the highway seemed to go forever and was pretty sharp (Well at least I thought so for a beginner). I def was NOT looking where I wanted to go and almost went straight into the guard rail. Thank goodness I snapped out on it and was fine after that. I think I learned my lesson then cus it never happened again after that. Now I LOVE those sharp, going on forever, turns :)

Glad you came out of it ok!!

akima
October 14th, 2011, 06:33 AM
None really - except cost maybe.

How fast were you going into the curve?

On the brake issue, its OK to hit the brakes prior to a curve so that you enter it slower, but once you are in the curve you need to leave them alone. Once the rears break loose in a curve, its like riding on ice.

But I don't blame you entirely. I didn't see any chevron signs marking the curve in your pictures. I don't know about the UK, but they are required in the US. It would have been nice to know the curve was that tight before you wiped out in it.

Look under the mid section of your bike near the kick stand to see if there are any tubes hanging down. I have never seen a FI Ninja so I wouldn't know. My pregen has them so he's a boy. If yours doesn't, she's a girl.:D

I guess I was going 20MPH. There should have been chevron signs (most tight corners have them here), but that wouldn't have helped me. I already knew how tight the corner was because I had taken it only 5 minutes before while on the way into the village. The corner was even tighter on the way home because I was on the inside of it (we drive/ride on the left here). I blame me entirely, but I'm glad you spared me some blame! :p

Oh... and those hanging tubes; they're fallopian tubes, used in the birthing process of baby Ninjettes. My bike's a girl!

(I didn't actually check for the presence of those tubes. I wouldn't know how to spot them: there are lots of tubes, wires and pipes under those fairings!)

I did this same thing, well almost when I first got my bike/license and the first time I ever rode with someone else. The on ramp going onto the highway seemed to go forever and was pretty sharp (Well at least I thought so for a beginner). I def was NOT looking where I wanted to go and almost went straight into the guard rail. Thank goodness I snapped out on it and was fine after that. I think I learned my lesson then cus it never happened again after that. Now I LOVE those sharp, going on forever, turns :)

Glad you came out of it ok!!

Thanks.

I think we were both lucky to have learnt from such non-destructive experiences. It was like a little wake up call.

I actually hit a similarly unexpectedly tight corner only a week after my off-road accident. I figure I must have a guardian angel or something, because only a few seconds before I hit that corner I suddenly had this thought that I haven't been looked through my turns during this ride. Then suddenly I'm in the corner going faster than comfortable but I just stared straight through it and trusted the bike to carry me through. It went fine. Raised my heart rate by a few beats though :p

n4mwd
October 14th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I guess I was going 20MPH. ...

Oh... and those hanging tubes; they're fallopian tubes, used in the birthing process of baby Ninjettes. My bike's a girl!

(I didn't actually check for the presence of those tubes. I wouldn't know how to spot them: there are lots of tubes, wires and pipes under those fairings!)

Well 20 mph doesn't seem all that fast. That would only cause a slight lean with a sharp turn like that. I hate to say it, but you may be right about who is to blame.:o

I saw some trees in the photos. Is there any chance you slipped on some leaves? To a motorcycle, leaves are like grease.

No, the tubes are hanging down under the frame if its a boy bike. They are not under the fairings or within the frame. If all the tubing is internal it means its a girl Ninja. I would post a photo of my Ninja's phallus, but it would probably be against the forum rules - and possibly illegal considering that my Ninja is only 5 years old.

Those Ninja shifters are practically disposable. Seems like they get all bent up with even the smallest of accidents. I saw a replacement that had a folding shifter peg. If you have to buy a new one, maybe look into that. Whatever you do, don't try to bend it back on the bike. Take it off and fix it in a vice if you must.

akima
October 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Well 20 mph doesn't seem all that fast. That would only cause a slight lean with a sharp turn like that. I hate to say it, but you may be right about who is to blame.:o

I saw some trees in the photos. Is there any chance you slipped on some leaves? To a motorcycle, leaves are like grease.

No, the tubes are hanging down under the frame if its a boy bike. They are not under the fairings or within the frame. If all the tubing is internal it means its a girl Ninja. I would post a photo of my Ninja's phallus, but it would probably be against the forum rules - and possibly illegal considering that my Ninja is only 5 years old.

Those Ninja shifters are practically disposable. Seems like they get all bent up with even the smallest of accidents. I saw a replacement that had a folding shifter peg. If you have to buy a new one, maybe look into that. Whatever you do, don't try to bend it back on the bike. Take it off and fix it in a vice if you must.

I wasn't going fast. There was a thin layer of loose debris on the ground in the turn.

lol @ your Ninja phallus.

As for bending the shifter back on the back... that's exactly what the call out mechanic did :O He only bent it far enough that I could get home. There doesn't seem to be any unwanted horizontal play in the shifter, so I don't think it caused damage.

aShifty
August 2nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
sounds amazingly similar. :thumbup:

psych0hans
August 2nd, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hey akima, glad to know you're ok... As far as dancing in full gear (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106955) goes... How can we forget our very own Ethioknight...

Miles_Prower
August 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The stingy nestles part of this reminds me of the time wayyy back in the days when I rode bicycles 24/7. I was leaving my friends and heading to the dentist, riding through the grass when I hit a big rock (the sucker came out of nowhere), my bike went flying, and I ended up in a thorny bush. Needless to say I missed my dentist appointment as I picked about 50 thorns out of my skin..cuz I was a squid at the time and did not wear gear lol.

Stingray1000
August 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Akima is a what??? LOL j/k Sorry to hear it hun!

akima
August 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
This happened a while ago now, anyone whose reading this. It's always good to be reminded that I can unintentionally dismount from my motorcycle when I do things wrong.