View Full Version : My Boss now calls me "crash"

kangthe
October 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
It's been almost a week now - here's my story - maybe someone can learn from this, it wasn't what I thought would take me down.

Been riding only a few months, took MSF read everything - shoei helmet, decent textile jacket, overpants, hiking boots.

Nice Sunday ride in the foothills - went into a section of road I was unfamiliar with but was being careful when all of a sudden 3 sportbikes come screaming up to my left when approaching a fairly blind turn. I turned my head to see where they were (and probably moved to the right a little), they passed as I looked front again and I realized I hadn't yet set up for the turn and was now too far right and too fast. I hit the brakes and saw the side of the road was dirt and looked soft and tracked the bike into the soft patch and then tried to turn left out of the dirt. Bike slammed to the ground and I kept rolling.

Only serious damage to me was something sharp split my riding overpants, jeans and went to my knee bone. Hairline crack and some damage to muscle/surrounding tissue. Surgery and now I'm in a velcro cast for 6 weeks plus. I might have been fine but the overpants shifted down and the split missed my knee pad by .5 inch or less.

The bike's in the shop now but I think it's likely a goner or at least more than I can afford to fix. No full coverage.

What I learned:

Get the full coverage if you can swing it -don't rationalize it away
Get the strap on armor stuff that goes under your pants - if I had it; I would have been perfectly fine
Drive with a buddy - I should have tried harder to find someone to ride with that was experienced.
Don't worry about the other riders - focus on your ride and if you get distracted; just brake and pull to the side and recollect your thoughts.

Finally, I have run into folks that were really great (mostly riders) that were really sorry to hear of the accident, but were truly supportive. So many others were full of stories/conclusions on how dangerous bikes are; figure now I should be convinced how stupid riding is etc Can't tell you how sick I am of that. I could have been injured similarly missing a stair step (then what, no more stairs?)

I may not be able to readily get back to riding due to $$ to replace or fix the bike and mostly because my wife was adamantly against it and now figures I got what I deserved (really); but, man riding really is terrific and I loved the whole 3 mos or so I was able to enjoy it.

Stay safe

Mike

alex.s
October 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
sorry to hear about your leg. hope you're back in the saddle soon

rusninja
October 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM
sorry to hear about your leg. :/

itsa250bro
October 1st, 2011, 04:21 PM
There are two types of people who ride... those who crash and give it up, and those who crash and keep on riding. Glad to hear that you are not going to give it up - you'll be back in the saddle quicker than you know it - with a very hard lesson learned.

Make that 3 types of people who ride - the assholes who bully someone off the rode and don't even both to stop and help. Unbelievable!!

Alex
October 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Mike. I hope you get up and running again, and would be happy to meet up for newbie-friendly rides from time to time here in the bay area.

Mocha Man
October 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
Glad to hear that you're already ready to get back at it! Heal up soon and be safe!

Lou
October 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM
Hope your leg heals up quick.

akima
October 3rd, 2011, 02:45 AM
Mike: hope you heal up to full health and get back into riding.

Your story is very close to home, but I was far more lucky. I too completed my course only ~3 months ago, bought all the gear and have been loving my riding experience so far. I also crashed the Sunday before last on a corner!

Hopefully you can ignore those people who are saying you're silly for riding motorcycles. If they're true friends, what they should be doing is letting you live your life how you want and helping you out if you get into trouble. Everyone takes risks in life. We all make our own call about whether the risk is worth the reward. It's not for someone else to judge.

Details of my accident here (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86903) if you're curious.

kangthe
October 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes! Heard back on my bike today - long story short, runs fine, forks appear OK but the cowl is toast, gear lever bent etc but the kicker is the handle on the back of the seat is bent down over the seat - so I guess the tabs on the back of the frame are bent over a bit. :(:( No insurance and since I'm in an apt it's more than I can take on to fix. The shop won't charge me anything to look at it but I need to get it hauled off - if anyone knows of someone in the SF bay area that could repair it or use parts off it (2007) please let me know. I'd rather get it to someone here that just have a salvage yard haul it off.

Mike
yhomike@gmail.com

ally99
October 9th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Dude, that really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear. I've lowsided in the mountains before too. It's not a fun feeling. Really puts a raincloud on your fun times, huh? Glad you're relatively unscathed, though the knee injury sounds painful. :(

Lil_Green_Demon
October 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I hope you heal up, Mike. Your crash makes me think I really should invest in some frame sliders and better gear before venturing onto a twisty road again.

Numbersix
October 13th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Argh. So, essentially, these guys divebombed you and forced you off line. Where is race control when you need them ... :mad: (note: I know you weren't on a track; the point is someone forgot to tell those dweebs)

Glad you did see them and go off line; if you'd turned in and they hit you, this post could've been made by your widow.

Fast recovery to you and the bike!