View Full Version : Wichita Mountains - The only "twisties" near me

Daniel_Malloy
October 6th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thought I would share part of my usual ride through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge here in Oklahoma. There are not very many winding roads here in Southwestern Oklahoma, but I'm fortunate to have this little speck on the map to satify my cravings for some nice twisty stretches. Its a real nice place to ride, but there is quite a bit of wildlife and as such the speed limit is set rather low; not a lot of fun to be riding along at high speed just to find a 2,000 pound buffalo standing in the middle of the road! Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

GvkrJpxW_pk

csmith12
October 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM
looks like a great ride :thumbup:

Xoulrath
October 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM
OMG! Sight lines around corners! Holy crap!

Nice video. That looks like a pretty solid road.

Daniel_Malloy
October 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM
OMG! Sight lines around corners! Holy crap!

Nice video. That looks like a pretty solid road.

Lol, I think I'll have to upload my trip up Mount Scott to REALLY blow your mind with those sight lines around corners. Nothing like driving up a mountain and seeing a one-way ticket to the bottom everytime you turn... Glad you enjoyed it.

smiley424
October 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM
nice vid, nice looking ride. I had heard OK had some mountains, but they were south/southwest of OKC.

Malicious Logic
October 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Looks like a relaxing ride. Can't wait to get my bike so I can head down there and join ya. ><;

Daniel_Malloy
October 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM
So I finally got around to uploading a video of me trekking up and down Mount Scott... This is definitely not a ride for someone afraid of heights or sudden drops. :eyebrows:

And I was VERY thankful I was not speeding (excessively) as I'd hate to explain to that cop at 1:45 that I was speeding up a mountain for no reason :ohno:. Enjoy the sight lines!

dXUDRZyJdI4

94fiveohvert
December 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Awesome! Looks like a fun ride Aaron. Is that out near turner falls? My bike is All together and running now. Actually went out and put 40 miles on it today.

Daniel_Malloy
December 9th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Awesome! Looks like a fun ride Aaron. Is that out near turner falls? My bike is All together and running now. Actually went out and put 40 miles on it today.

No, its not close to Turner Falls. If you follow 44 down almost all the way to Lawton you will find these "mountains" at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Its about an hour and a half, maybe 2 after everything is said and done to get out there from Oklahoma City

If we get a good stroke of weather and my schedule allows it, id be happy to meet up with you and give you the tour of the place. Its not real big but like I mentioned in the post, its about as curvy as we can get here in southwest Oklahoma.