View Full Version : How about tagging?

dubojr1
October 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Alex:

Is there a way we can add tagging that would function similar to Facebook? Say I want to direct someone to another member that could best help them... it would be nice to just tag that member's name and a notification/PM would be sent to them saying something to the nature of "your presence is being requested by "X" member to "X" thread.

Your thoughts?

jdoucet93
October 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I think it's a great idea! Well done sir.

Alex
October 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'll look into this. There is a mod available (link (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=242734)) that adds the ability to tag users. In a post you write something like @dubojr1, and it will become a link to your user profile, as well as send you a notification that it happened. It's not as slick as facebook's, in that it doesn't auto-search/auto-complete usernames while typing them, but other than that it appears reasonably useful.

dubojr1
October 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
:happy50:

the big mike
October 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM
If this would give me notifications every time i got quoted, that would be very usefull (not that I get quoted that much, but just saying :p ) It would help to keep some threads/converstations going :thumbup:

Alex
October 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Test tag to Alex.

Alex
October 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Test tag to Annie.

Alex
October 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
OK - this is up and running. I've disabled general thread tagging, which put an ugly box at the top of each thread. What I've enabled is mentions. This means whenever you mention someone in a post, like this: dubojr1 jdoucet93 the big mike

They will get an automatic notification. In your user profile, you now have a panel that lists mentions. And as an added bonus, this mod does the same thing for when you are quoted.

Let me know if you see any weirdness with this. Oh - you can't mention yourself, so if you do it and you're not getting a notification, that's why. Other people need to mention you.

Have fun!

Alex
October 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM
If this would give me notifications every time i got quoted, that would be very usefull (not that I get quoted that much, but just saying :p ) It would help to keep some threads/converstations going :thumbup:

You should have a notification here for being quoted.

Annie
October 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
You should have a notification here for being quoted.

Test with Annie's account to see if I get quote notifications.

Alex
October 14th, 2011, 09:05 PM
OK - the notifications work within the site, but they don't send external PM's or emails. I'll see if that's just the way it is, or if I can work on fixing that.

EDIT: They are just forum notifications, and are not able to kick out emails at this point. It's listed as potential future development of this mod.

Lil_Green_Demon
October 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM
OK - the notifications work within the site, but they don't send external PM's or emails. I'll see if that's just the way it is, or if I can work on fixing that.

EDIT: They are just forum notifications, and are not able to kick out emails at this point. It's listed as potential future development of this mod.

Eh.. I prefer not getting an e-mail from being quoted. I like the new features, btw. Pretty awesome. :thumbup:

Alex
October 14th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Eh.. I prefer not getting an e-mail from being quoted. I like the new features, btw. Pretty awesome. :thumbup:

Yup - it would have to be configurable, as some would want it, and some wouldn't.

the big mike
October 15th, 2011, 06:09 AM
cool, all of a sudden I saw 'notifications' in the top right corner: I was mentioned in this thread by alex. Thanks to that I came back to this thread and now I know about this feature :) Nice work Alex :thumbup:

Btw: I think Alex will be getting a lot of notifications this way :p

EDIT: o yeah, I got quoted in this thread too, which led me back to this thread again :p

dubojr1
October 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks Alex!!! I can only hope this idea turns out to be as as good as the sorting one!

dubojr1
October 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Yup - it would have to be configurable, as some would want it, and some wouldn't.

Are the quotes user configurable? I'd prefer not to a notification for each person I quote but would like to get one for when others are quoting me.

People should also under the intent behind this feature. I hate to see someone "quoting" someone in a thread as they also "mention" them in there response. That could be information overload for some of us... :eek:

Alex
October 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM
No, unfortunately it's a one-size fits all.

alex.s
October 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
love the tags!

CThunder-blue
October 18th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Ok. Now I understand why I was getting another type of notification. Not really diggin it, but that's just me. I think the name notification thing is cool, but the quote notification is extraneous.

setasai
October 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Ok. Now I understand why I was getting another type of notification. Not really diggin it, but that's just me. I think the name notification thing is cool, but the quote notification is extraneous.

Yea I'm not really liking it either but I can see how it might be useful if the thread was something you'd want to respond to.

CThunder-blue
October 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I'm subscribed to the threads I'm interested in replying to. I check my usercp to read those.

setasai
October 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I do the same except I use the Unread Posts button instead of usercp. Just saying it could be useful, you dont have to use it.

CThunder-blue
October 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
It's not a choice of using it or not. It's automatic and keeps the Notification link highlighted until I go to check it.

setasai
October 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Cant ignore it?

CThunder-blue
October 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM
nope. It's one of those personal things of mine. I have a hard time ignoring things like unread emails, unchecked notifications, etc.

setasai
October 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Well then... we better find a way to disable it then. Wouldnt want your head to explode. :D:p

Alex
September 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I have just updated this mod to the latest version. There are a couple of improvements. It should no longer show as a new quote when you quote someone, only when someone quotes you. Also - it will kick out email notifications of new quotes or new mentions. Let me know if you notice any weirdness; it seems to be working OK as far as I can tell so far.

Jiggles
September 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Also - it will kick out email notifications of new quotes or new mentions.

How can I turn this off? Or should I just change my email

Alex
September 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM
It's not user-configurable, it's a one-click for everybody type thing. I've disabled it for quotes, as that might get a little excessive. I left it on for mentions, as the whole point of mentioning someone is to notify them that you want them to see a thread.

Jiggles
September 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
That's fine, post quotes happen far more often. Might I suggest that anybody who quotes and mentions someone in the same post be instabanned and have their ninja thwacked with a hammer?

Kevin2109
September 19th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I actually really liked getting the quote email..

Jiggles
September 19th, 2012, 08:46 PM

Here ya go

thomason2wheels
September 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM

Me tooo...am i still wrong Jiggles? :eek::D

Jiggles
September 19th, 2012, 09:00 PM
No **** you're wrong!

Kevin2109
September 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM
No **** you're wrong!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27040386.jpg

Jiggles
September 19th, 2012, 09:14 PM
http://youtu.be/ZM-97Ddej_M?hd=1&t=30s

Lychee
September 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM

+1!

I set my email to filter all the ninjette emails to a folder that doesn't spam my "you've got mail" notifications on my phone. Just a suggestion.

Alex
December 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I rebuilt the post cache this morning, and it looks like it blanked out some existing mentions. Though the ones in this thread are fine. :idunno: If you see any that are blank, if you edit the post and hit save, they seem to come back. Also - any mentions in new posts / new threads seem to be working fine.

Working to see what happened, and how to recover all of the past ones as well.

Alex
December 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Well, crap. Here's the response from the developer: link to vbulletin.org thread (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2390517&postcount=489)

So the notifications still work and show up for people, and the mod is still working fine for any new posts. But some older posts will not have the mentions visible anymore. What's a little strange is that it didn't wipe all of the older ones; I have a hunch that's because the "rebuild post cache" feature probably checks to see if it really needs to rebuild that post or if it hasn't been viewed/changed since the last time it was built, and maybe those are spared. As from the developers explanation of how it works, it seems like it should have wiped out every mention in any of the rebuilt past posts.

Alex
April 1st, 2014, 01:39 AM
Updated to version 3.1.0 of this mod. One of the improvements is that it now utilizes the ignore list:

Ignore List Integration

Members no longer receive Mention notifications from users they have on their ignore lists
Members no longer receive Quote notifications from users they have on their ignore lists

psych0hans
April 1st, 2014, 05:07 AM
Alex can you please remove the unhelpful rating? Cheers!

Alex
April 1st, 2014, 07:15 AM
Alex can you please remove the unhelpful rating? Cheers!

All set. I figured there must be an easy way to remove them, and it looks like it worked.