View Full Version : Crash!

Rollin..
October 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Sunday afternoon..

I was riding on highway 440 and there was an exit ramp to change to US 1/9. It was a left turn 40mph but I maybe going in a bit too fast..maybe around 50+.

As I was approaching the turn I realized it was a very sharp U-turn. I could have made it but then I saw there was gravel covering almost half of the road. I was able to pull the bike upright and brake but I was still coming in hot.:D I skid for about two feet (bike still upright) before the front wheels hit the curve, thats when I lost control. Bike fell on its right side.

Bike went over the curve and hit the metal railings. The right side of my chest hit the metal railings and my helmet hit the right handlebars.

Happened so fast the next thing I realized I was face down on the side of the ramp and the bike's front wheels were over the curve. Got up..felt my body for injuries...I seem to be fine...called 911..They asked where I am and I actually don't know because I was just following my gps, don't know the exact location..so I told them I'll call back...:D:D

so I then called my girlfriend and told her I got into an accident and I'll call her back...

two cars stoped to help me. Fortunately the first person happens to be a nurse (she was wearing scrubs..:D). She helped me pick up my bike and touched my ribs to make sure I didn't break any bones...

Another guy stopped to check as I was brushing off all the dirt from my pants and jacket. He said he also rides and that corner is very dangerous because of the gravel covering almost the whole part of the road..

the bike started, got home..after the adrenaline wore off, thats when I felt sore...on the right side of the chest and lower back...

had my x-rays the other day..no broken bones..yipeee!!!:D although the doctor said my right chest wall tissue / muscle has a contusion (fancy medical term for bruising) so It still hurts, may take 2-3 weeks to heal...

My assessment: rider error and a little bit of bad luck..=)
(1) going to fast
(2) not wearing the appropriate jacket! all the rest of my body was ok except the chest area because I just wore a leather jacket and not my alpinestar jacket..
(3) gravel:D

NDspd
October 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Jesus man, glad you're not seriously injured. Atleast you had your helmet on, unlike most of the motorcyclists in my area.

Good luck on getting you and your bike back to good health.

akima
October 15th, 2011, 05:15 AM
That's pretty lucky having a nurse pull up after the accident.

50MPH accident could've gone a lot worse. You were lucky!

From the pictures it looks like the damage to your body and your bike is mostly superficial. Hopefully you will have them both fully restored soon :)

Alex
October 15th, 2011, 06:55 AM
no broken bones..yipeee!!!:D

:thumbup:

akima
October 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Just noticed your avatar image. I feel it's appropriate to link you this:

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/12/10/i-like-turtles.gif

:p

Lou
October 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Glad you made it out fine. Sounds like you dodged a bullet :eek:

itsa250bro
October 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM
So sorry to hear about this, but relieved to hear you are OK. You're original post "Im out this weekend folks...I crashed last sunday..." really got us scared.

It's a good reminder to be careful 100% of the time. Last Sunday the weather was beautiful... really, like one of the nicest days of the year. Mid 70's and no clouds. Not the kind of day you'd expect to find loose gravel on a highway exit ramp.

Rollin..
October 15th, 2011, 07:16 PM

WTF!!! hahaha!:D

Rollin..
October 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks a lot everyone...yeah I'm just glad it wasn't that bad and mostly just fairing damages to the bike..

I already ordered flushmount signals, a new exhaust..and may get a new paintjob..I'm thinking digital camo...:D

blink
October 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM
****ing gravel

blink
October 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
seriously they really should look after the roads better... taxes do balls all

Live2ride
October 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Wow, that sucks, glad your not hurt too bad but that really sucks. And ninja turtles don't make out; whoever made that was a dumba$$. Ninja turtles = awesomeness.

dsims321
October 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Glad to hear your ok man. I also just wrecked my bike yesterday, actually due to some gravel on the road :( I swear Gravel to Motorcycles is like Superman to Kryptonite.

00NissanNinja
October 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM

First off, WTF??!! lmao, don't do that to the ninja turtles, just dont...they are badass not...that...

Glad you are alright, thats why I got my astar jacket just in case my chest needs some protection.

akima
October 16th, 2011, 02:12 AM
First off, WTF??!! lmao, don't do that to the ninja turtles, just dont...they are badass not...that...

For some reason it brings me great joy to drop that in a room of male, Ninja Turtle fans :D

Evil Akima!!

I actually think it's kinda cute. :p

Rollin..
October 16th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Glad to hear your ok man. I also just wrecked my bike yesterday, actually due to some gravel on the road :( I swear Gravel to Motorcycles is like Superman to Kryptonite.

yeah I saw ur video man...gravel got us this week...good thing nothing serious..

dsims321
October 16th, 2011, 08:55 AM
yeah I saw ur video man...gravel got us this week...good thing nothing serious..

It had to drop on the side with the camera in that video lol the camera itself is fine but ill probably have to get a new housing :(

Any crash where you can walk away is definately better then the alternative in my opinion so ill count us as lucky *enough* this week seeing as we still dropped the bike which isnt very lucky :lol:

oblivion007
October 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Wow. Sounds like that could have been a lot worse, glad you made it out great! Couple scratches and bruises. Meh..

koenigcitizen
October 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
That Ninja Turtle animation is just disturbing....

OP, glad you are ok!