View Full Version : '74 CB550 carb 'gurgling'

Mountain Dew
October 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM
When I first got this bike, the carbs were so dirty that it wouldn't run except on full choke, and wouldn't run without constant throttle and full choke while cold. But it ran.

Over the weekend, I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Right now I'm running open headers until my new exhaust comes in, and pod filters. After reassembling the bike, it wouldn't start, and I could hear gurgling in the carbs. After a few tries, it ran for a second, but sounded like a bubble machine.

The carbs are on stock jets, and stock a/f screw height. I've tried with the floats at stock height, and at the height I got the bike at (about 32mm). With the stock height it just dumped the fuel on the ground after a few kicks.

The electrics work, but I think the battery might be almost dead or underfilled. Could that be a factor?

Alex
October 27th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Funny. :) I looked up "carb gurgling" to try and find some good references for you, and the first hit is the same post you made on the sohc4 site. Looks like they helped out a bit, is the bike running yet?

Mountain Dew
October 28th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Well, when I tried googling it, I came up with stomach gurgling from something about carbohydrates.

While their information was helpful, it wasn't quite helpful to me. Because when I said "open headers," I really meant "no headers." After putting my exhaust on, I found that it stopped gurgling when trying to kick it.

The bike still isn't running yet. Main reason is I lost the one key for it, mere hours before I planned on getting it copied. Since I don't have the key, I can't remove the tank to replace the fuel lines or adjust the valves. So HOPEFULLY it'll be running by this weekend (ordered a set of NOS keys and they shipped Monday).

nickjpass
March 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Do you have pictures? Is it running yet?

leed
March 12th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hmm.. Check your lines? When my vacuum lines are leaking they sound funny.

Klondike1020
March 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM
I believe you have vacuum actuated carbs in that bike ? Defiantly check the vacuum lines and seals .
Also check the intake boots for leaking and seal