View Full Version : canyon riding Piuma rd, Malibu hills CA

ninjaknobs
October 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Myself on my 250r chasing my brother on his honda cbr600

MfDtYf2oNiU

Cazper
October 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Man that road looks like a ton of fun!!! You do a great job of keeping up with him... he pulled away a couple times on the straights but you were right back with him in the corners!!! :thumbup: Just some constructive criticism... you brother could use some work on body positioning... he is getting pretty crossed up in pretty much every corner... less butt slide and more upper body movement... but that could just be me :noidea:

akima
October 21st, 2011, 03:38 AM
Enjoyed watching that! Nice to see two brothers out riding together :)

It would have been nice if you overlaid the music on-top of the ambient sounds, so that we could still hear the bikes growl.

I noticed the strange centre marking in the road. It was really wide and had bumpy bits in the middle. Is the width there to accommodate riders whose heads sometimes go into the opposite lane as they take left corners? Are the bumpy bits to physically stop bikes overtaking?

Malicious Logic
October 21st, 2011, 06:43 PM
Wow, great video. Looks like a blast!

ninjaknobs
October 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Man that road looks like a ton of fun!!! You do a great job of keeping up with him... he pulled away a couple times on the straights but you were right back with him in the corners!!! :thumbup: Just some constructive criticism... you brother could use some work on body positioning... he is getting pretty crossed up in pretty much every corner... less butt slide and more upper body movement... but that could just be me :noidea:

Thanks,
I tell my brother to take it easy on the straights so the video will look better.. especially going uphill!
I agree he is a bit crossed up, after watching "twist of the wrist 2" which btw should be the bible for every motorcycle rider. They go over every aspect of riding and i reccommend to everyone. They say if you "hang off" the bike in corners.. one butt cheek is more than enough, any more and you can become disconnected with the bike and also can be dangerous. Also.. which i have practiced and works.. lean your upper body in the direction of the turn and keep you upper body parallel with the bike and keep the weight off your hands to avoid unwanted steering input. I'll mention it to him. I'm lucky to have these roads only a few miles from where i live

ninjaknobs
October 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Enjoyed watching that! Nice to see two brothers out riding together :)

It would have been nice if you overlaid the music on-top of the ambient sounds, so that we could still hear the bikes growl.

I noticed the strange centre marking in the road. It was really wide and had bumpy bits in the middle. Is the width there to accommodate riders whose heads sometimes go into the opposite lane as they take left corners? Are the bumpy bits to physically stop bikes overtaking?

Actually my dad and some of my brother's friends ride with us also, some sundays 3 of us, sometimes 7 or 8 riders. The quicker riders are up front.. wink wink, and everyone else rides at their own pace/comfort level.

They did that to the road about 2 months ago.. sucks. Cars and motorcycles race through there.. think they are trying to deter people from racing around the canyon roads. We'll hasn't really stopped us haha. They actually put GROOVES in the road not bumps.. about an inch deep, so its important to stay out of the middle as you can get out of shape very easily, iv'e riden that road probably 35 times so i know it well

alex.s
October 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
looks like fun. i have the same jacket as you.

Indy250r
October 22nd, 2011, 04:48 AM
Great video.

Nice camera work. Sensible riding. Fantastic road. Everybody's wearing good gear.

exploring/carolina
October 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Great Video!

Jinx250
October 25th, 2011, 08:20 AM

I bet the city put that there to keep people (on bikes) from crossing the double yellow. I was on a canyon run not long ago that had a similar setup and damn near lost control.

To the OP - the only thing I can say is you should probably leave more following distance. Sometimes you were so close on his tail that if he binned it you'd become part of it for lack of time to react.

ninjaknobs
October 25th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Great video.

Nice camera work. Sensible riding. Fantastic road. Everybody's wearing good gear.

Thanks very much,
Key is to have fun, don't push it sooo hard as to terrify yourself or endanger you or others on the road. We wear full leathers.. well i wear 2 piece alpinestars that zip together, boots, gloves, and of course helmet. I see too many idiots wearing shorts, vans, t-shirt, no gloves... unbelievable really

ninjaknobs
October 25th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I bet the city put that there to keep people (on bikes) from crossing the double yellow. I was on a canyon run not long ago that had a similar setup and damn near lost control.

To the OP - the only thing I can say is you should probably leave more following distance. Sometimes you were so close on his tail that if he binned it you'd become part of it for lack of time to react.

yah i followed closely so it looks cool honestly and he can see his riding posture etc.. i don't follow that close all the time, u'r right if he went down i might plow right into him. Motogp marco Simoncelli died after lowsiding and being run-over from behind last weekend.. sad