View Full Version : Hooked my toe

WhiteRice
October 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
I just lowsided on the MSF ERC course(was practicing alone). Low speed; full gear; no injuries.

I was practicing hanging off on the decreasing radius turn and I hooked my right toe slider or peg.

Bent the foot pad of the rear brake lever pretty good. The lever is still straight though. Have to try and bend that back.

My right fairing have a nice 5x5" patch of scratches. One more thing to drop off at the paint shop over the winter.

Lesson learned:

Get that toe tucked!

If you're gonna practice get sliders!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9o9EFpgaKdY/TqM9A5ukptI/AAAAAAAAAc4/ErnF5lZeSsQ/s1024/Photo%2BOct%2B22%252C%2B5%2B39%2B54%2BPM.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0Ti3td_Wypc/TqM9E5cK2uI/AAAAAAAAAdI/b6Cb4SE58G0/s1024/Photo%2BOct%2B22%252C%2B5%2B40%2B09%2BPM.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xJHeM5OBZIM/TqM9GwNLeRI/AAAAAAAAAdQ/SBTfM2gtvjc/s1024/Photo%2BOct%2B22%252C%2B5%2B54%2B14%2BPM.jpg

csmith12
October 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
That sucks, but good your were practicing in such a safe way. On closed course and in full gear. Those pesky decreasing radius turns....... Good to hear no injuries!

itsa250bro
October 22nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
Oh no... sorry to hear about this - but props to you for practicing it in the first place.:thumbup: I didn't know you could get on the MSF course alone - that sounds like a great place to practice. I've tried a few times in a empty parking lot - but, then I just feel like a tool - people driving by with strange looks.:confused:

nickjpass
October 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
In NY it's illegal to drive on any driving course if you have a permit or junior license. Sorry to hear about your low-side!

WhiteRice
October 22nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
There's no way my exhaust was the culprit, right?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-aiF3a2Ww7ys/TqM9Dz49GfI/AAAAAAAAAdA/ITTW_TuQ8vM/s1024/Photo%2BOct%2B22%252C%2B5%2B41%2B50%2BPM.jpg

WhiteRice
October 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Ok I have to go back and look, but here's my new theory.

I think there's a crack with some grass growing out across the track. I know because I've felt my rear slip a bit while doing runs.

I was way too far over, like on the threshold, then I hit the grass and my rear slid out.

I originally thought I had hooked something because I heard metal scrapping and my rear went out. Now I think my rear tire slipped then and my exhaust and toe hit the ground.

csmith12
October 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hard to tell from your pic, but the scrape pattern seems to be consistent with dragging it. I would say it could be a "possible" cause.

Exhausts scare the crap outta me, they are just too large. Especially the stock ones. Seeing this pic makes me want a race exhaust.
http://i54.tinypic.com/a4uely.jpg

Just one less hard part to worry about dragging.

When I ride the only thing I like dragging is my knee.

Rollin..
October 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Bent the foot pad of the rear brake lever pretty good. The lever is still straight though. Have to try and bend that back.

Glad you're ok..my foot pad looks the same as yours because of my accident...those things are so hard let me know how you plan to bend them back..

kaiserz
October 23rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
how are your pegs? cause I don't see it being scraped that much. also, how much do you weigh? have you ever adjusted your pre-load adjusted to your weight?

WhiteRice
October 23rd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Glad you're ok..my foot pad looks the same as yours because of my accident...those things are so hard let me know how you plan to bend them back..

Probably a vice and some pliers. I might just leave it until I get new parts over the winter.

how are your pegs? cause I don't see it being scraped that much. also, how much do you weigh? have you ever adjusted your pre-load adjusted to your weight?

~170lbs I have the pre-load adjusted to notch 2.

kaiserz
October 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Ok that's weird. what got caught that cause you to low side hmmm. Pre-load at 2 for 170 is about right. that's really weird. maybe it's time to get some knee sliders so you can gauge your lean angle.

And have you ever read/watch twist of a wrist II?

WhiteRice
October 23rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Ok that's weird. what got caught that cause you to low side hmmm. Pre-load at 2 for 170 is about right. that's really weird. maybe it's time to get some knee sliders so you can gauge your lean angle.

And have you ever read/watch twist of a wrist II?
After thinking it over I think a hit some grass growing out of a crack and my rear went out.

Never read Twist of the Wrist, been waiting for the ebook to come out.

kaiserz
October 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
After thinking it over I think a hit some grass growing out of a crack and my rear went out.

Never read Twist of the Wrist, been waiting for the ebook to come out.

I recommend TWIST OF A WRIST II, it taught me how to ride. I got the book at ebay used for cheap, it's a good investment. Right now I lend it to a friend of mine. I'll buy one again for me(or so I can lend it again to other people) And I'm not gonna tell you to search online and look for a video copy of twist of a wrist II, yeah I'm not gonna do that.

Buy the book :thumbup: It's a good read and is gonna help you a lot.

WhiteRice
October 23rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I recommend TWIST OF A WRIST II, it taught me how to ride. I got the book at ebay used for cheap, it's a good investment. Right now I lend it to a friend of mine. I'll buy one again for me(or so I can lend it again to other people) And I'm not gonna tell you to search online and look for a video copy of twist of a wrist II, yeah I'm not gonna do that.

Buy the book :thumbup: It's a good read and is gonna help you a lot.
Thanks, I will follow up with that.

csmith12
October 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
for sure! the book is good, but the video is even better.