View Full Version : yeah had my first parting yesterday

paulforaname
October 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
hey guys,

well it finally happened, me and my bike parted ways.. was on the way to work and had been previously been raining, i was on a 2 lane road with tram tracks on the inside of the 2 lanes. i was in right lane ( inside lane next to tram tracks as in Australia) so the lights ahead had turned red and the left lane was banked up and some idiot decided he wanted to be in the right lane as less cars so he would be closer to lights and pulled out in front of me when i was slowing ( about 4 car lengths before had to stop behind car when he pulled out in front of me. i had to swerve onto the tram tracks but the tram tracks have a yellow rumple strip thing made out of plactic which seperates the car lanes from tram and when front tyre hit the front slid out and tried to correct but lost it. bike ok as frame sliders saved but small marks on right brake lever and bar end. got the " i didnt see you" and i was like you didnt even look arse hole.. bike ok, ego not so ok, and alittle sore. this morning when going past same spot i noticed the rumple strip was moved as maybe not boted to ground properly and wonder if that had anything to do with losing control ? as there are in 1.5 metre lenghts attached to road somehow.. might go past tonight and take photos of how they werent secured to road and show the council , what you guys think??

hope this makes sense as bashed out pretty quickly as at work ....

Malicious Logic
October 24th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Glad to hear you and the bike are ok. That sounds like a serious hazard if they're not secured to the road surface. Anything plastic on the road is already slippery enough when wet without the added movement from sliding around. I would definitely go by and take a closer look.

Alex
October 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Glad you're OK! The muni rail tracks in downtown SF are a very common spot for motorcycles to get caught on and tip over, especially when it's wet out.

paulforaname
October 25th, 2011, 02:24 AM
thanks guys , yeah alll good except the day after (today) my ankle abit sore ( was wearing my office shoes ) and back as must have strained muscles in lower back. prob from picking bike up without bending my knees as just got it upright as quick as possible, frame sliders i brought off ebay for $100 plus postage few weeks ago saved the bike thank god.. if any other Melbourne (OZ) riders out there read this please be careful of those yellow strips beside tram tracks when wet ( or dry if not attached correctly to ground)

Firehorse
October 25th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Wow, glad to hear you're mostly okay! Frame sliders, wise man.

Worth taking pics and bringing the subject up with the people who should know. I think the more we stand up for safe roads, the more regular folks will realize that we take safety seriously.

Good note about picking the bike up and being careful with your back. Maybe we should all practice the proper backwards pick-up once in a while so we can get fast with it and still stay safe.

Can you leave your shoes at the office? This give you an excuse to buy some sharp looking MC boots. :thumbup:

paulforaname
October 25th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Wow, glad to hear you're mostly okay! Frame sliders, wise man.

Can you leave your shoes at the office? This give you an excuse to buy some sharp looking MC boots. :thumbup:

yeah i have alpine stars boots but my ride to work is only 10km about 6 miles i think so get complacent as only 10-15 min ride , usually on wear my jacket( armoured ) skid lid and gloves. ok .. also wear slacks ..:)

akima
October 26th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I hope that guy feels guilty for what he did (>.<)

It doesn't sound at all like the accident was your fault, but now that you've had time to think about it, do you think there was any kind of different manoeuvre you could have done to avoid going down?

Glad you and your bike are ok. Sounds like the two of you need some love after the crash though! Maybe treat yourself to a massage for that back and ankle. :p

paulforaname
October 26th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I hope that guy feels guilty for what he did (>.<)

It doesn't sound at all like the accident was your fault, but now that you've had time to think about it, do you think there was any kind of different manoeuvre you could have done to avoid going down?

Glad you and your bike are ok. Sounds like the two of you need some love after the crash though! Maybe treat yourself to a massage for that back and ankle. :p

yeah Ive gone through that in my mind ever since, about 100 times and it was either go around or brake and hit him, if i braked as hard as i needed to stop i would have end'od or lost it which then would have damaged car/bike . as i hit the plastic rumple strip next to tram track my wheel was at wrong angle and due to having rained the front just washed out and everything happened so quick that before i knew it ,my bike was down and cant remember how i came off exactly.. pulled fairing off and checked frame etc due to frame sliders as have heard certain sliders/bike can have frame/ mounting issues after crashes. all ok . my bikes never been dropped and now have excuse to buy some new adjustable levers and weighted bar ends ( get numb fingers on right hand on long ( 60 min or more ) rides.. ( as only small scratches bar end and brake lever as right side went down, slider only minimal marks but the ones i have have removable caps on ends that attach with allen key bolts.. even exhaust was ok? not bad considering first stack in 5 years..( previous was on scooter in Indonesia when drunk as a skunk) :thumbup: