View Full Version : ouch...

KJohnson21
October 26th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I was going to meet the guys for dinner and this damn SUV changes lanes in front of me and STOPS!! I went over the handlebars and ended up laying flat on my back over the curb, with my hips on the sidewalk and my head in the street. I cautiously tried to move, but it didn't feel good, so I stayed flat and waited for help. Plenty of people stopped, called 911, etc. Thank goodness! Paras showed up quickly and did all the right things. The police had plenty of witnesses that all agreed with what I told them, so at least I don't have that to worry about. I got carried off to the hospital, they poked and prodded me, and that's where I'm at now.

When I was laying on the ground I used my helmet BlueTooth to call my wife and she called the guys who're waiting for me. They simply followed the sirens and found me at the scene. Later on Havok got his truck and took my bike to his garage. (Thank you Jeff!!!)
Posted via Mobile Device

BobsPT
October 26th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Sorry about the mishap. Hope things will turn out good for you & there's nothing serious.

Alex
October 26th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Youch! Sorry to hear this, Ken!

ManyCavies
October 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I want to thank you guys, Jeff, Kevin and Max !! You keep me informed and stayed with him. I Love You Guys!! And Sharon, thanks for everything, you helped me stay calm from so many miles away and got the answer to what I was fearing. <3 I will be there soon! :grouphug:

Cazper
October 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Wow Ken that's horrible :eek: hope your okay and have a speedy recovery!
Posted via Mobile Device

CZroe
October 26th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Yikes! Keep us informed and get well soon. How did the bike fare?

choneofakind
October 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Good thinking not moving!! now we can officially say bluetooth saves lives :D

seriously though, it's good that you're ok. I dislike the crash threads.

akima
October 26th, 2011, 08:15 AM
That's so horrible Ken. I hope you don't have any serious injuries. :( Glad you've got good friends to help you out.

What was the SUV driver trying to do? The way you described it, almost makes it sound deliberate.

massacremasses
October 26th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Damn dude. Get better! sorry that happened :(

Live2ride
October 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Great thinking using the bluetooth to call the wife! Better for her to hear it from you immediately than another person down the line trying to explain what happened. I hope you have a speedy recovery from any of your injuries. Good luck; we're rooting for you!:thumbup:

Cuongism
October 26th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I hope you're ok Ken! Keep us informed on how everything is going and definitely let us know if there's anything you need at all.

KJohnson21
October 26th, 2011, 08:47 AM
What was the SUV driver trying to do? The way you described it, almost makes it sound deliberate.

I'm pretty sure they did a , "Oh look, there's our restaurant!" But they told the officer that they "heard sirens", yeah right.

Thanks for the support everyone! I'll keep you updated as things change.
Posted via Mobile Device

massacremasses
October 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty sure they did a , "Oh look, there's our restaurant!" But they told the officer that they "heard sirens", yeah right.

Thanks for the support everyone! I'll keep you updated as things change.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh they heard sirens....

after you slammed into them... ****ing people not paying attention...

Kevin2109
October 26th, 2011, 09:02 AM
When I got there I went and talked to the main witness, hes say "dont worry your dad did nothing wrong, its not your fault" :p I chuckled and said thank you, hes not my dad but im very glad hes ok and you saw what happened :thumbup:

GeneJunkie
October 26th, 2011, 09:03 AM
OMG! Sending my prayers for a speedy recovery.

alex.s
October 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
i'm so sorry to hear this ken. i hope you're alright! let us know if there's anything we can do, i'm sure we're all waiting with spare parts, free labor and bad jokes

akima
October 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
But they told the officer that they "heard sirens"

It's not like "heard sirens" is a good excuse anyway! You're not supposed to cut someone up and slam on your breaks if you hear sirens - that's ridiculous! You should be prompt, but not dangerous. No good quickly creating a path for an ambulance or fire-engine get through to help people if in the act of doing so you're just gonna create another accident. :rolleyes:

When I got there I went and talked to the main witness, hes say "dont worry your dad did nothing wrong, its not your fault" :p I chuckled and said thank you, hes not my dad but im very glad hes ok and you saw what happened :thumbup:

aww :p

WhiteRice
October 26th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Get well soon!

NDspd
October 26th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Dang man, get better, I've had some close calls like that a few times.

bluesinorbit
October 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Get well soon!

Heed
October 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
lucky to have witnesses. sounds like you're ok.:thumbup:

Trailerboy531
October 26th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Only you would post this while in the hospital Ken :p Glad you're turning out okay! A little soreness is the best we can ask for given what happened! You'll be up and running in no time :thumbup:

By the way people he was ONE BLOCK away from where he was supposed to meet us, so close! :eek:

and also, Crissy, Gurk was there waiting with us too :thumbup:

massacremasses
October 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM
the thing I think is awesome is he had a group of riding buddies super willing to help him out. Thats awesome to me...

akima
October 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM
the thing I think is awesome is he had a group of riding buddies super willing to help him out. Thats awesome to me...

awesome to me too.

I don't know many people where I am right now. I be all alone if it happened to me!

massacremasses
October 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM
awesome to me too.

I don't know many people where I am right now. I be all alone if it happened to me!

call me up. Ill be there in 14 hours :p

ally99
October 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
So sorry to hear, Ken! I hope you're feeling ok!

pjed
October 26th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Sounds like things are turning out ok...get well soon.

KJohnson21
October 26th, 2011, 06:59 PM
They've determined that I have a hair-line fracture on my pelvis. Cannot eat or drink until the condition stablizes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lou
October 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap, how bad is a hair line crack and what do they do to fix it???

You had just done a techday too, hope your bike is ok!!!

nickjpass
October 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I feel so bad for you! Get better soon!!

RedCromwell
October 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Pretty scary how things go bad so quickly. A simple ride to dinner turns into an ER visit.

Hope you heal up quick and get back to riding! :thumbup:

BobsPT
October 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap, how bad is a hair line crack and what do they do to fix it???

You had just done a techday too, hope your bike is ok!!!

There is nothing much they would do for a pelvic fracture, let alone a hairline fx.

Havok
October 26th, 2011, 08:18 PM
After chilling with ken today i can tell you that he is well taken care of up there. He has the nurses eating out of his hand lol.

****** thing to happen but you know we are all here for you and crissy.

Mocha Man
October 26th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Dang. I really wish cagers would pay a bit more attention to the things around them when they're driving. Get well soon!

MotoED
October 26th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Damn. So sorry to hear that :( Hope you make a speedy recovery. I've had couple of very close calls too.

Trailerboy531
October 26th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I can tell you all that Ken is a skilled and experienced rider, there was nothing more that could have been done to avoid this situation. No matter how good you are sometimes **** just happens.

Let's get you out of that damn hospital Ken I can hear those tacos calling your name from here!

KJohnson21
October 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I was fortunate enough to get moved to a private room so that Crissy could stay with me throughout the whole day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
October 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM
They've determined that I have a hair-line fracture on my pelvis. Cannot eat or drink until the condition stablizes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Youch! Hang in there, Ken!

Kevin2109
October 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I was fortunate enough to get moved to a private room so that Crissy could stay with me throughout the whole day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can we bring you tacos now? :D

Honko
October 27th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Ooof, I hope pelvis heals quickly/well. Good to hear there was no damage to your back.

Gurk
October 27th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hey Ken,
Glad you're ok buddy. I was there although we didn't get to meet. Thought you would prefer to meet people in better circumstances? I dunno. I was gonna walk in with Kev but your roommate ended up going in with him.

I hope you recover soon :thumbup:

Oh btw, we all started going to the hospital and exact same thing happened to Kev like 2 blocks away from the area of incident. Guy swerves in his lane and slams breaks. Kev yells at him then we move along. We turn and 5 seconds later same thing happens to me. A Honda swerves in my lane hitting brakes. She's texting OFCOURSE.

Idiots man... idiots...

KJohnson21
October 27th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Can we bring you tacos now? :D

Kevin - I wish!!

Gurk - I'm looking forward to meeting you also. Too bad about the circumstances :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

KJohnson21
October 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
i have been taco authorized

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=131&pictureid=7039

Alex
October 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Enjoy! :thumbup:

Trailerboy531
October 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Too funny, that room seriously has more tacos than medical equipment in it! The man knows what he wants :thumbup:

So glad to see you coming along and getting out soon Ken!

Lil_Green_Demon
October 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you, Ken. I hope you feel better soon and get back on that saddle.
BTW, I hope this isn't an annoying questions but did you or anyone else take any pics of the bike? Just interested in seeing how trashed it got from the crash.
Again, I hope you feel better ASAP, pal. Hope I see you @ 100% next time we all have a Tech Day or I'm free to hang out.

Havok
October 28th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Too funny, that room seriously has more tacos than medical equipment in it! The man knows what he wants :thumbup:

So glad to see you coming along and getting out soon Ken!

Yea, when i got off work yesterday i went to el tarasco and got a bag-o-tacos lol. One way or another he was going to get those effing tacos.

Socal5646
October 28th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Drivers in LA suck! People merge into my lane on a daily basis talking on their cellphones. Glad you're ok...somewhat!

Trailerboy531
October 29th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Yea, when i got off work yesterday i went to el tarasco and got a bag-o-tacos lol. One way or another he was going to get those effing tacos.

Seriously it looked like you took every last taco! They were good though :p

KJohnson21
October 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Jeff has sent me the pics he's taken, I've put them in this album: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/album.php?albumid=838

Lil_Green_Demon
October 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Oh, damn, Ken! That looks brutal. I'm glad you're still alive to tell the tale, buddy.
Out of curiosity, have you contacted your insurance company yet? What have they said?

One more question: do you think they'll actually fix the bike or is there a higher chance they'll say it's totaled?

KJohnson21
October 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Oh, damn, Ken! That looks brutal. I'm glad you're still alive to tell the tale, buddy.
Out of curiosity, have you contacted your insurance company yet? What have they said?

One more question: do you think they'll actually fix the bike or is there a higher chance they'll say it's totaled?

I've got to copy the rest of the pics. Jeff says it fires up just fine, doesn't look too bad, forks look straight, etc.

I haven't contacted either insurance company yet. I'm sure the bike will be totaled. That's just a technicality, because I'll buy it back (right there on the same piece of "paper" ;) ) and put it back on the road.

KJohnson21
October 29th, 2011, 01:35 PM
More pics in the album: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/album.php?albumid=838

Cazper
October 30th, 2011, 09:30 PM
She really doesn't look too bad... mostly cosmetic from what I can tell :noidea: I'm still glad you are okay... was just thinking if it's too bad you might be stuck riding your cruiser :eek: but you should be just fine :thumbup:

kaiserz
November 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
This is why I love the 250 community :thumbup: get well soon. I'm kinda scared now that this happened to a very skilled rider, proves that shiiit does really happen out there. I need to keep my guard really really high.

akima
November 3rd, 2011, 01:24 AM
This is why I love the 250 community :thumbup: get well soon. I'm kinda scared now that this happened to a very skilled rider, proves that shiiit does really happen out there. I need to keep my guard really really high.

All you can do is hope for the best, plan for the worst and continue to enjoy riding. :)

n4mwd
November 3rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hope you get well soon. Glad you were wearing your helmet. From the sound of things, you probably wouldn't be here if you weren't.

I hope your bike makes a full recovery too. Because of the cost of the bigger bikes, I doubt the insurance will total it unless something serious is found wrong with it.

As to the idiots hearing sirens, that is entirely possible. I have complained for years that it should be illegal for radio stations to play any kind of programming that contains honking or sirens (including advertising). At a minimum, playing such sounds causes traffic jams on every freeway for miles around. In your case, its possible that the idiots swerved into your lane (probably without signaling) , heard a siren on the radio, and then slammed on their brakes causing the accident. Its a theory anyway.

ManyCavies
November 3rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
Only you would post this while in the hospital Ken :p Glad you're turning out okay! A little soreness is the best we can ask for given what happened! You'll be up and running in no time :thumbup:

By the way people he was ONE BLOCK away from where he was supposed to meet us, so close! :eek:

and also, Crissy, Gurk was there waiting with us too :thumbup:

Sorry didn't mean to miss Gurk! Thanks for being there! Hope to meet you soon.

KJohnson21
January 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Just to let everyone know, I finally got back to work last week.

At first I stayed immobile, only moving as needed and only touching left foot to floor to maintain balance (no weight bearing). After about a month of that, the Orthopedic doctor OK'd limited exercise and scheduled me for Physical Therapy. Did PT a couple of times a week for another month. With a final CT scan, the Orthopedic guy OK'd my Return to Work for January 23rd.

Yipee!

choneofakind
January 29th, 2012, 10:45 AM
YAY!!! :thumbup: good to see you back and doing well again :)

alex.s
January 29th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Nice! go ken! does this mean you are going to start riding track with us? :D

KJohnson21
January 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Nice! go ken! does this mean you are going to start riding track with us? :D

Sure hope so! Gotta tear down and check out my ThunderCat first. You're one of the "investigators", so I'll let you know. :)

n4mwd
January 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Did you get your bike fixed yet? Which one was it again?

Trailerboy531
January 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Sure hope so! Gotta tear down and check out my ThunderCat first. You're one of the "investigators", so I'll let you know. :)

volunteering to be muscle and for potential grunt work if I have free time.

Glad to see you back out there Ken! :thumbup:

KJohnson21
January 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Did you get your bike fixed yet? Which one was it again?

Nope. Here's the one I'm using:

:)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=131&pictureid=7462

"Santa" was kind. :)

Here's the bike that went down:

:mad:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=131&pictureid=3960

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=131&pictureid=3964

Next challenge: In front of bail bond office.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=131&pictureid=3821

I caught one of our guys doing his checks before going out.

For next I'd like a pic at a local (non-chain) burger joint.

:mad:

KJohnson21
January 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM
volunteering to be muscle and for potential grunt work if I have free time.

Glad to see you back out there Ken! :thumbup:

Thanks! I'll let y'all know when I get serious with it.

:D

nickjpass
January 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Glad to see you're getting better :thumbup:

n4mwd
January 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I hope you plan on talking to a lawyer about the incident. You and your bike were too messed up not to. Did the SUV get away or did they stop?