View Full Version : First time on a 250

Malicious Logic
October 28th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm planning on buying a new-gen Ninja 250 when I get back from overseas next spring and I've been itching to try one out. Been to the dealership twice to sit on one and the 2nd time, I came back with my helmet. Couple weeks ago, I went and got my motorcycle permit. I'd been chatting back and forth with another member on here, Daniel Malloy, and he offered to come up and show me some slow speed maneuvers that'd help with the MSF course. Below is the result.

Note: This is the huge empty parking lot of a dead mall. It's mostly just power walking and getting a feel for the bike. I did get my feet up but the video seems to be too big for youtube and I can't find a way to cut it down. Big thanks again to Aaron for coming up and risking his bike. I feel a lot more confident about getting the 250 and about taking the MSF course when I get back.

EbxcI3Rcm5o

0PVZWz4JBas

Trailerboy531
October 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM
That is awesome! It's members like him that make this site a great place for everybody, well done Aaron :thumbup:

Lil_Green_Demon
October 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I agree 100% with Max. Good luck, OP, on the MSF & eventually purchasing a Ninja 250R. Be sure to be geared up at all times while riding on the streets! :thumbup:

hal9089
October 28th, 2011, 08:10 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

this is great!

edit:: ATGATT!

94fiveohvert
October 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM
awesome! what mall was that? Are you guys planning on doing that again anytime soon?

Malicious Logic
October 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
awesome! what mall was that? Are you guys planning on doing that again anytime soon?

It was the old crossroads mall by where 240 and S. 35 intersect. Plenty of open space out there. I'd love to do it again sometime but I'm leaving in a few weeks and when I get back, I'll hopefully have my own ninjette to ride with you guys.

Mocha Man
October 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Nice! It's good that you're getting familiar with a bike before just jumping into the MSF course

94fiveohvert
October 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM
It was the old crossroads mall by where 240 and S. 35 intersect. Plenty of open space out there. I'd love to do it again sometime but I'm leaving in a few weeks and when I get back, I'll hopefully have my own ninjette to ride with you guys.

ohh cool, five minutes from my house! haha. we could do it again, but my ninja isn't ready. i still got my fiddy. only thing it lacks is the clutch lever.

Daniel_Malloy
October 29th, 2011, 10:13 AM
94Fiveohvert, I should've thought to see if you wanted to come over and join us! Hope you're able to get your bike up in the Spring so we can get a group ride going.

akima
October 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Great Mark! Feels good to be on a bike for the first time?

For me it felt really weird being in a motorcycle at first. It was also difficult remembering the order you do things and what you're supposed to do. It didn't take much time at all before it started becoming instinctive.

It looks like you're getting good instruction.

In that first video, just when the clutch was biting I could hear the Ninjette making a really cute purring noise!

Malicious Logic
October 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Great Mark! Feels good to be on a bike for the first time?

For me it felt really weird being in a motorcycle at first. It was also difficult remembering the order you do things and what you're supposed to do. It didn't take much time at all before it started becoming instinctive.

It looks like you're getting good instruction.

In that first video, just when the clutch was biting I could hear the Ninjette making a really cute purring noise!

Yeah, definitely.

I was a bit nervous at first because I had no idea what to expect and I would've hated to mess up the bike somehow. It was a bit confusing at first remembering the order but after awhile, it got a lot easier. Really wish I could put up the vid of getting my feet up. Was a blast, even at like 3mph.

I loved that sound. Being a beginner, it really helped me gauge where the clutch was.

94fiveohvert
October 29th, 2011, 01:46 PM
94Fiveohvert, I should've thought to see if you wanted to come over and join us! Hope you're able to get your bike up in the Spring so we can get a group ride going.

it's almost up and running again, may be a little bit two tone red and green for a while though. i'm not wasting money on painting it till i feel comfortable riding it.

nickjpass
October 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM
In one word, how could you describe your experience?

Malicious Logic
October 30th, 2011, 06:28 PM
In one word, how could you describe your experience?

Hmm....Exhilarating I guess.

RedCromwell
October 31st, 2011, 09:03 AM
Great vids! My first time on a motorcycle was at the Beginner's MSF class. It was scary and exciting to sit on the bike.

Watching your vids reminded me of those first exercises to power walk the bike. I couldn't stop smiling. The friction zone exercises are oh so important for those slow speed maneuvers and if you plan to do any city traffic riding.

During the course they'll remind you to cover the clutch in case you panic and remember to be gentle with the front brake. Especially at slow speeds.

An advantage of the MSF course I took was that they provided the bikes, so, I wasn't too worried about dropping it. Not until the test that is. :)

Aaron looks and sounds like a great instructor. He's giving you great feedback and direction.

If your area offers the "Street Rider" course I would recommend taking it after the Beginners. I wish they had it when I first learned to ride. Getting the basics is all well in good. But it definitely is not the same when you are actually on the streets. I stalled so many times on the street just from being nervous about cars behind me. I think the Street Rider course would have helped with that anxiety.

Some things my MSF course didn't focus on which I wished they did was starting on a hill, using your mirrors (our MSF takes them off since they get broken from drops), and how to pickup a dropped bike.

Have fun learning, stay safe, and enjoy your ride!

NathanUc
October 31st, 2011, 09:54 PM
MSF is going to be boring as hell for you my friend.

I'll go against the grain here and say if you feel you don't need it and are comfortable learning like that, don't bother. Save the money and learn this way. It sounds like you have a solid 'teacher' and as long as you read the motorcycle handbook, you'll learn enough to get started. The rest is common sense/internet learned :P

Malicious Logic
October 31st, 2011, 10:10 PM

I'll go against the grain here and say if you feel you don't need it and are comfortable learning like that, don't bother. Save the money and learn this way. It sounds like you have a solid 'teacher' and as long as you read the motorcycle handbook, you'll learn enough to get started. The rest is common sense/internet learned :P

Haha, well I'm about to leave soon for deployment and be gone for months so it'll be a good refresher and get me back comfortable with a bike. That and our military-only msf course is free. :D Aaron was a great teacher though.

I've definitely been doing a lot of 'internet learning' and I'm planning on reading some of the commonly suggested riding books while I'm gone. Atleast then, I'll know in theory how it's all supposed to work....then just practice, practice, practice.

NathanUc
October 31st, 2011, 10:14 PM
Haha, well I'm about to leave soon for deployment and be gone for months so it'll be a good refresher and get me back comfortable with a bike. That and our military-only msf course is free. :D Aaron was a great teacher though.

I've definitely been doing a lot of 'internet learning' and I'm planning on reading some of the commonly suggested riding books while I'm gone. Atleast then, I'll know in theory how it's all supposed to work....then just practice, practice, practice.

Yeah, you remind me a bit of myself and it seems like MSF would be pointless for you as it was for me. Wasted $75 and an entire weekend of hell being in 100+ degree weather, full gear, and no drinks 8 hours a day.

I felt like learning the information for the permit was better than the information for the written test at my MSF course.

Cazper
October 31st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Great work on both parts... definitely cool that he took time out to help you out and let you use his bike. :thumbup: :thumbup:

sopranos
October 31st, 2011, 11:32 PM

First, congrats on the first ride ML and even more props to Aaron for taking the time with you and indeed risking his bike. We could use more people like you in every part of the world.

With all do respect, I couldn't disagree more. While the MSF is just a basic course, I do not see it being boring for this rider based on the videos I just watched. He is a true beginner and definitely could benefit from the course. Proper technique of counter-steering, swerving, emergency braking, etc is not always just "common sense". Being part of a group (MSF course) will not only show you the right way, but you will most likely also see the wrong way (of another student) and that information can be just as valuable.

I'm not going to get into too much here but there are many reasons to take the MSF course in addition to the obvious skills you learn (such as saving on insurance, bypass the driving part of the DMV test, etc.).

I HIGHLY recommend the course to any beginner rider. IMO it should be a requirement by DMV (for all ages).

NathanUc
November 1st, 2011, 12:37 AM
First, congrats on the first ride ML and even more props to Aaron for taking the time with you and indeed risking his bike. We could use more people like you in every part of the world.

With all do respect, I couldn't disagree more. While the MSF is just a basic course, I do not see it being boring for this rider based on the videos I just watched. He is a true beginner and definitely could benefit from the course. Proper technique of counter-steering, swerving, emergency braking, etc is not always just "common sense". Being part of a group (MSF course) will not only show you the right way, but you will most likely also see the wrong way (of another student) and that information can be just as valuable.

I'm not going to get into too much here but there are many reasons to take the MSF course in addition to the obvious skills you learn (such as saving on insurance, bypass the driving part of the DMV test, etc.).

I HIGHLY recommend the course to any beginner rider. IMO it should be a requirement by DMV (for all ages).

More time in that parking lot and research will likely do just as good as the MSF course would.

The MSF only teaches you how to ride around in a parking lot.. which is exactly what he's already learning to do. There were people in my class that were no where NEAR ready for a motorcycle license because you can't teach road skills in a parking lot.

MSF is good for people without a motorcycle and good for people who don't want to learn on their own, but not necessarily for those mature enough to do some reading with access to an experienced friend with a motorcycle.

Just my 2cents. I was offered the ability to take the instructors course and be an MSF instructor.. so it's not like I just wasn't 'good' at it. I just don't think the MSF is as essential as most people think.

sopranos
November 1st, 2011, 01:00 AM
More time in that parking lot and research will likely do just as good as the MSF course would.

The MSF only teaches you how to ride around in a parking lot.. which is exactly what he's already learning to do. There were people in my class that were no where NEAR ready for a motorcycle license because you can't teach road skills in a parking lot.

MSF is good for people without a motorcycle and good for people who don't want to learn on their own, but not necessarily for those mature enough to do some reading with access to an experienced friend with a motorcycle.

Just my 2cents. I was offered the ability to take the instructors course and be an MSF instructor.. so it's not like I just wasn't 'good' at it. I just don't think the MSF is as essential as most people think.

Putting your feet up for the first time on a bike is not "learning to ride around in a parking lot". Clearly the MSF goes a lot deeper than that. And sure, an experienced friend can help with that but its still not the same (not to mention you don't get the other benefits).

And how do you learn something on your own if you don't know what to learn? Or how to properly execute a specific technique? By watching youtube? Nah.

And I agree that you cant teach all road skills in a parking lot. But you cant even teach parking lot skills if you are not a teacher. So while Aaron is clearly capable of teaching these basics, that is only about the first 5 minutes of the course. I highly doubt he is going to risk his bike for the other 8 hours of skills they teach where the bike would be at a VERY high risk. So where would the OP get that training? On his new bike? Nah.

Lastly, I don't want to get into a smear war but I will quote you from your recent youtube video where it appears that your clutch/throttle work is sub-par.... you said, "I'm no expert". If you want to be an MSF instructor I think you should try to be an expert. Just my 2cents.

I would NEVER discourage anyone to take the MSF course. How could any instruction at all be "pointless" or "a waste of time" if taught by trained riders?:rolleyes:

NathanUc
November 1st, 2011, 01:06 AM
Lastly, I don't want to get into a smear war but I will quote you from your recent youtube video where it appears that your clutch/throttle work is sub-par.... you said, "I'm no expert". If you want to be an MSF instructor I think you should try to be an expert. Just my 2cents.

That was a air/fuel mix issue that's been corrected (weather changed a lot here). Myself and a lot of people here would be way more qualified to teach the MSF than the 'instructors' I had.

Not to mention I wouldn't be teaching people how to shift at red line as fast as possible. I'm not going to turn this chap's achievement post into an argument. I'm just saying that if he continues to learn in the lot like he is now and do some reading, MSF shouldn't be classified as required as I'm sure his friend can teach him what he'll need to learn to get started on his own.

akima
November 1st, 2011, 01:20 AM
You have to pass 3 relatively difficult tests (1 road, 1 stunt, 1 theory) to get your license here, so going on a course is a good option.

I found the course fantastic. The instructors were obviously all very skilled at what they did: some had been riding longer than I've been alive and they've all done advance motorcycle training.

I'd like to point out that there are some things you can do in a "carpark" which aren't so easy to do on roads. It's not like the "carpark" stuff is just a cop-out version of road riding: it provides something extra.

Malicious Logic
November 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM
From what I've read and seen through videos, the MSF course here isn't that difficult and once I pass the 2-day course, I'll get a waiver for the riding test to get my license. Hardest things seem to be the box and emergency stopping.

choneofakind
November 1st, 2011, 07:11 AM
You have to pass 3 relatively difficult tests (1 road, 1 stunt, 1 theory) to get your license here, so going on a course is a good option.

I found the course fantastic. The instructors were obviously all very skilled at what they did: some had been riding longer than I've been alive and they've all done advance motorcycle training.

I'd like to point out that there are some things you can do in a "carpark" which aren't so easy to do on roads. It's not like the "carpark" stuff is just a cop-out version of road riding: it provides something extra.

+1 my instructors were awesome. One was a short guy who could barely flat foot his CBR1000RR, but had another one at home that he did track days on. The other was a goldwing rider who has been riding for like 30 years. He told us he sold his gold wing because it had like 120,000 miles on it!! dang!

you have to do stunts for your license test??? do they teach you how nose-wheelie? :D:D

sopranos
November 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM
From what I've read and seen through videos, the MSF course here isn't that difficult and once I pass the 2-day course, I'll get a waiver for the riding test to get my license. Hardest things seem to be the box and emergency stopping.

Its not that its hard. Its about just doing it and learning the right technique to execute the maneuvers properly. This is not something that an experienced friend can do for you unless they are willing to risk their bike for ALL of the aspects shown in the course.

And like I said, its worth it for the DMV waiver and insurance savings alone.

Its not that the MSF course is supposed to be difficult - but IMO its necessary and all new riders should take it.

DreamN
November 1st, 2011, 11:23 AM
That's great of those two members helping you out. I'd be too worried of damaging another person's bike.

One of my main reasons for taking the MSF is for the insurance discounts. :D

akima
November 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
you have to do stunts for your license test??? do they teach you how nose-wheelie? :D:D

He he, nope. I just call it a stunt test (which my instructors found pretty funny... / ridiculous). You have to speed round corners, balance while riding at walking pace, do figure of 8s, do emergency stops having reached quite a high speed, do u-turns and generally be balanced and controlled on your bike. To me, that's a stunt test! It also made it easier thinking of it as a stunt test - it made it like a fun challenge instead of a daunting assessment. It worked: I wasn't nervous at all for my test and passed it first time. I do think they should teach nose wheelies too - it would be very practical to help with day to day traffic negotiation :D

I used to mountain bike when I lived in the country side. I'd go along with the guys I knew to these fun bike parks. I used to ride on these thin planks of wood (it's North-Shore style) which were raised up off the forest floor. Great fun! Doing that made me pretty confidence of my ability to balance a motorcycle (even though it's really quite different from a mountain bike).

I'm yappy this evening. :rolleyes: