View Full Version : And then there were 3...

Zombiphone
October 29th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Wow, way to be responsible with your savings Tiff......

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8840/1029012023.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/888/1029012021a.jpg

:woot:

Picked up a new to me '03 SV650 today for $2300 (Which is a really good deal in these parts for having just 9000 miles on it). It's all stock save some flush mounts (the exhaust is so quiet :3), but it's got some cosmetic damage and I'll have to rebuild the rear master cylinder. Looks to be a cheap part, and I figure it can't possibly be that difficult. At the blazingly fast 35 mph I've taken it to so far for the 0.7 mile ride home, it feels massively more powerful than my 250, low speed maneuvers feel a bit different, the front brake is surprisingly responsive, and while I just manage to flat foot it at a stop, it's tall enough that I have to get off it to walk it (For the record, I now understand why people say the 250 is lightweight), but I'm freaking stoked! Man I missed having a commuter. Free choice parking right next to my classes, you shall be mine again :love:

All that said, I'm obviously not selling the 250 since it's my track baby/soon to be racebike, so I am by no means an "ex-ninjetter" -For a matter of fact, I'm doing an unexpected, last minute trackday on the 2fiddy tomorrow so I won't even be riding my new bike this weekend. Shame I don't have a two rail trailer- but I'm just happy to be able to split lanes on the 101 and the 405 again.

I plan to keep this my commuter and not take it to the track, but well..... we'll see how long that resolve actually lasts :rolleyes:

That's all. No real point to this post. I'm really excited right now, so I just wanted to gush a little. You may carry on

Alex
October 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM
:thumbup:

Live2ride
October 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Tiff, the sv650 is a girls bike; you should have gotten a hayabusa.....you disappoint me :(.

p.s. JK; nice bike. :D

Zombiphone
October 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Hahaha goddammit Cody T_T

I figured my unrelenting manliness would be enough to counteract the girly-ness of a little 650 twin. I may have to get some pictures on it flexing while eating a raw steak to redeem myself.

Live2ride
October 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hahaha goddammit Cody T_T

I figured my unrelenting manliness would be enough to counteract the girly-ness of a little 650 twin. I may have to get some pictures on it flexing while eating a raw steak to redeem myself.

:rotflmao:

Cuongism
October 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Nice bike! 10 speed?

rockNroll
October 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Nice pick up, Tiff :thumbup:

Master cylinder kits are cheap and easy to install, you'll be fine.

94fiveohvert
October 30th, 2011, 09:34 AM
is that a huffy?

alex.s
October 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
are you planning on doing anything about the scratches on the face? you know... you've got that extra pair of fairings for the ninja...i think all that you need now is a hole saw

backinthesaddleagain
October 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Up at new hampshire speedway rhe sv is quite the weapon.

choneofakind
October 30th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I may have to get some pictures on it flexing while eating a raw steak to redeem myself.

I'll be waiting with popcorn for those pictures :pop2:

anyhow, how does the riding position/power delivery compare to the 250? Besides having massive torque down low, does it die up top, or pull harder? Only 650 I've ridden was a 650R; loved the handling/power delivery, but was disappointed in the ergos

Zombiphone
October 30th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm pretty excited about it. I never at any point felt the 250 was inadequate on the street, but this was cheaper than a second new gen, and I figured I may as well expand my repertoire :)
Nice pick up, Tiff :thumbup:

Master cylinder kits are cheap and easy to install, you'll be fine.
Thanks! And good to know. I was hoping that if I can tune my carbs, disassemble my forks, safety wire stuff, and install and bleed brake lines on the ninja, I should be able to handle a master cylinder on an SV. But I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've said "This should be easy!" and been flogged mercilessly in the face by a very vindictive universe for it. I almost like having an excuse to work on it though :p

are you planning on doing anything about the scratches on the face? you know... you've got that extra pair of fairings for the ninja...i think all that you need now is a hole saw
Hmmmmm, put ninja fairings on SV and run in ninja class races without telling anyone? You're a sick man <3

My hotbodies kit was hard enough to fit on the bike it was made for. I'll pass on trying to fit that on something else -_- But I mean, fairing damage gives it character (Definitely not to be read as: "I'm really cheap"), so I'll probably just leave them. Besides, chicks dig scars. I'm not sure how that's useful to me in any way, but it seems relevant.

Up at new hampshire speedway rhe sv is quite the weapon.

Yes! So many people race these things and it looks soooo fun. Errrr, not that I'm going to race this or take it to the track or anything. Since this is my commuter. Not my track bike. Not to be raced. I really won't, I swear.

Must.... Stay... Strong
I'll be waiting with popcorn for those pictures :pop2:

:lol: don't tempt me. I'll probably really do it

anyhow, how does the riding position/power delivery compare to the 250? Besides having massive torque down low, does it die up top, or pull harder? Only 650 I've ridden was a 650R; loved the handling/power delivery, but was disappointed in the ergos
Well, I ended up spending the entire day today wringing the hell out of the 250 at the track, so my knowledge of the SV is still limited to my initial really short ride home ^^;;

Compared to my 250, ergos wise the SV is definitely more supersport. The footpegs don't seem far off my 250s rearsets, but after sitting on them one after the other, the handlebars on the sv are noticably lower and perhaps a couple inches further away than my 250's clipons. I think the 650n model is a bit more standard if you're looking for this power range with less sportiness, but I don't remember the ergos of the ninja 650, so I don't know how it compares to that.

Obviously it gets up to speed faster and easier, but the throttle response seemed pretty predictable and manageable. I didn't feel even remotely overwhelmed when I first twisted it a bit. It pulled hard through all of first gear, but I still haven't tested past the low end of 2nd or 3rd, so I'll have to get back to you on that one once it's been introduced to freeways and definitely not the track.