View Full Version : Bye, bye rear fender!

Jono
November 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yesterday I got rid of that ugly rear fender! I bought a used stock rear fender from an 2002 EX250 with blinkers off ebay for 38 bucks shipped. I used this fender to cut up my fender delete. I wanted to keep my stock fender for resale reasons. I used the wiring from the stock turn signals to mount in the pods beside the brake light. I just hot glued them in there. I then cut a CD case to put in the brake light to light up the license plate. This whole project was super easy. And I didn't use a single power tool. I cut the fender with a hand saw. Haha. I didn't have a jigsaw, so I went old school. It looks great now! I am super happy with the results!
BEFORE
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=798&pictureid=6701
AFTER :)
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=843&pictureid=7088

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=843&pictureid=7089

Lou
November 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Very nice looks great! I plan on doing the same to my sisters bike. Would you happend to have the link to the blinkers you purchased? Did you use stock red pods with amber lights inside or change everything to amber i cant tell in the pic.

Jono
November 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Very nice looks great! I plan on doing the same to my sisters bike. Would you happend to have the link to the blinkers you purchased? Did you use stock red pods with amber lights inside or change everything to amber i cant tell in the pic.

Yeah that yellow tree makes the turn signal look kinda orange but they are the stock red lenses. I have a clear bulb in the sockets so it flashes red. I figured it would be legal since Jeeps and other trucks have red turn signals. I don't think any police will give me any trouble for it.

I just used all the stock parts to make it. I cut the fender flush with the rear but left two pieces of plastic to mount the license plate to. I just took the stock turn signals apart so I could use those sockets. I left all the wiring together so it was just a matter of plugging them in. There are already holes in those pods by the brake light so you just gotta glue them in. I used hot glue. The only reason I bought a used fender off ebay was so i could put the bike back to stock If i decide to sell it with the fender that was on the bike. I bought the fender from a salvage yard on ebay. The fender had all the lights still on it. And all the bulbs worked! It cost me 38 bucks shipped so it was still cheaper than buying a kit and I got to be creative!

bcole666
November 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Could you take a pic of it lit up at night? I'm interested to see how the cd worked out.

its all looking nice and flush though, cant wait to chop my fender when I get onto my open licence :thumbup:

Jono
November 3rd, 2011, 06:37 AM
Could you take a pic of it lit up at night? I'm interested to see how the cd worked out.

its all looking nice and flush though, cant wait to chop my fender when I get onto my open licence :thumbup:

Sure thing. I'll take a pic tonight and post it up.

Jono
November 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM

Here you go! Hope this is good enough.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=846&pictureid=7116
It looks darker in this one because I think the blinker and the taillight made the camera adjust the brightness. But in person it is the same as the top photo.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=846&pictureid=7117

choneofakind
November 3rd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Looks good. :thumbup: Only thing I did differently is I took a dremel and shaved off the bottom edge of the reflector housing. That little tab leaves a shadow that only allows half the plate to be lit. After shaving it level with the front edge of the clear lens, almost the whole plate is lit.

Jono
November 3rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Looks good. :thumbup: Only thing I did differently is I took a dremel and shaved off the bottom edge of the reflector housing. That little tab leaves a shadow that only allows half the plate to be lit. After shaving it level with the front edge of the clear lens, almost the whole plate is lit.

Ahh, I didn't think of doing that. But I wanted to be able to make it stock again without buying parts to return to stock. I don't really mind the plate not being totally lit up. If a cop is behind me his headlights will light up the plate so I should be good. I just love how much better it looks compared to that ugly stock fender. :)

choneofakind
November 3rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
If you go back to stock, no one will ever know that any is shaved off. It's only 2-3 mm of plastic that you take off. Plus if the solid red plastic piece that got replaced by the cd case piece is back on, no one will ever see the modified reflector

Jono
November 3rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
If you go back to stock, no one will ever know that any is shaved off. It's only 2-3 mm of plastic that you take off. Plus if the solid red plastic piece that got replaced by the cd case piece is back on, no one will ever see the modified reflector

Ah, well then. I now have a small weekend project! Thanks for the info.

choneofakind
November 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
No problem. Just look up into the clear lens from the bottom and you'll see the small area that needs to be trimmed. I would take pictures, but my bike is a couple hours away from me at the moment

Jono
November 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
I will take a look up there tomorrow. I am sure I will figure it out. :thumbup:

Hunsy34
December 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I also did the CD case thing for the light to shine on the license plate and it came out very well. Bikes look so much cleaner with that. Your bike looks nice!

Ninja Nut
December 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
:thumbup: