View Full Version : Hit and Run

kchava
November 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Yesterday was just an all around horrible day.

I leave work in the rain at 10 am to find that my bike is on the ground. I am livid. As I'm dreading lifting a wet bike back up, I see a guy getting into his car and he helps me hoist it back up for me. Unfortunately, the engine doesn't turn. He offers to wait until I have the bike on, but I end up just killing the battery. So he gives me a jump. I thought the worst was over.

I drive about a mile, mind you it is still raining, and stop at a red light behind (coincidentally) the same nice guy. All of a sudden, a car plows right into me. The bike is shoved out from under me and I land on top of it. My pants land on the chain and are ripped. I get up and ask the girl who just ran into me, what the F*&* she was doing. She yells, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, and motions to the side as though she will pull over, but instead makes a right at the light and takes off.

At this point I'm reeling and making sure I'm not hurt (amazingly, I'm not) and the same nice guy calls 911 and helps me out AGAIN. Once the ambulance and fire trucks leave, I find my poor bike's pedal is broken and I'm getting a ride from a police officer back to my apartment.

I went back to get my bike and ended up riding it the mile back to my garage. Here's the damage. I don't know whether to try and fix it myself or take it somewhere. I don't see much other damage than cosmetic. Nothing leaks. Can anyone give me some advice or where I can buy these parts?

I still can't get over my close call.

00NissanNinja
November 5th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Wow, that was a s**** day. Glad you are alright. cheapcycleparts or ebay I guess. Some others might have better suggestions. You have insurance?

kchava
November 5th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I only have liability. No collision. I tried to look for that pedal, but it doesn't include that plate that's split in half. Does it have a special name?

00NissanNinja
November 5th, 2011, 11:53 PM
The plate is your rearset, shouldn't be to hard to find one.

akima
November 6th, 2011, 03:03 AM
That is some really bad luck.

Why do you think the bike was on the ground to begin with then? Vandalism? Someone backed into it? Wind?

I've been trying to teach myself to leave a big gap between myself and the person I stop behind, so that, if I spot someone coming up fast from behind I can get myself out the way by moving off to the left or right.

Was the guardian-angel, guy cute?! Maybe fate just wanted to put the two of you together? :p

bluesinorbit
November 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
What a day. I'm glad to hear you are okay and the bike wasn't totaled. I hope they get the girl for hit-and-run. Last weekend I was in the area for the first time to catch a concert. I noticed UCSD has a huge campus and it's never fun riding near a school like that. You can't avoid **** from happening, but to be able to walk away without a scratch is great luck.

Heed
November 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I drive about a mile, mind you it is still raining, and stop at a red light behind (coincidentally) the same nice guy. All of a sudden, a car plows right into me. The bike is shoved out from under me and I land on top of it. My pants land on the chain and are ripped. I get up and ask the girl who just ran into me, what the F*&* she was doing. She yells, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, and motions to the side as though she will pull over, but instead makes a right at the light and takes off.

Damn. that's gutless. I wish you got her plate #.

Lil_Green_Demon
November 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
As someone who has been involved in a hit and run, I feel your pain (no pun intended). I'm sure you can find the broken parts easily since Kawi didn't really change much about the pre-gen 250R since it's introduction, so parts should be in great abundance.
I'd suggest taking the bike to a certified mechanic, though, and having him/her inspect the damage. You could have mechanical problems due to the crash.

bluepoof
November 6th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'd stay away from that nice guy -- every time he's around it's nothing but trouble!!

Seriously, though, I'm glad you weren't hurt and hopefully everything fixes up easily for you.

RedCromwell
November 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Wow that totally sucks. Glad you're alright and I hope the damages are just cosmetic and quick to fix.

Hopefully, karma will catch up with the girl who hit you. :mad:

akima
November 7th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Hopefully, karma will catch up with the girl who hit you. :mad:

For some reason that made me think of a piano falling from the sky onto her. I don't think karma is quite so direct though :p (Too many cartoons for me!)

NDspd
November 7th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Hope you get it fixed...I've been in two hit and runs on my bicycle. I've also had a few very very close calls on my 250 already.

Be safe out there and I'm glad you are ok.

CC Cowboy
November 7th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Go play the lottery, you're still alive.

Lil_Green_Demon
November 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Go play the lottery, you're still alive.

This doesn't work. :(
I played the lottery the same day I got hit by a car, albeit I bought the tickets a few hours prior to the hit and run. I didn't win anything. :mad:

Maybe I should've bought the tickets afterward, huh? :p

massacremasses
November 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM
**** like this infuriates me... WTF?! I HATE HIT AND RUNS!! what a bitch!! seriously!

Im with everyone else. Did anyone get her plate number?

also if I saw this I would have let you be if you looked ok and chased that bitch down. No joke, if I EVER see someone hit a fellow motorcyclist, if Im in a car or on my bike I will hunt that mother****er down!!!

akima
November 8th, 2011, 12:03 AM
**** like this infuriates me... WTF?! I HATE HIT AND RUNS!! what a bitch!! seriously!

also if I saw this I would have let you be if you looked ok and chased that bitch down. No joke, if I EVER see someone hit a fellow motorcyclist, if Im in a car or on my bike I will hunt that mother****er down!!!

You might like this video:
HtKUZ_SNK60

Some nice guys basically did what you just suggested.

Love how they both spring to action. One jumps out to help the old man and the other guy pursues the villain.

Firehorse
November 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Thank Goodness you're okay! Makes me want to ride with a video cam front and back! Karma will bite her butt!

Watch the language sunshine, there's ladies present and we don't want to teach the young'ums to refer to arseholes by that word. She's not a female dog, just a rotten, scumsucking, cowardly, pathetic, useless, waste of space, dendritically challenged cager.
I have a whole bunch more adjectives to suit her if you'd like to borrow them :)

jamesio
November 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM
HtKUZ_SNK60

Love how they both spring to action. One jumps out to help the old man and the other guy pursues the villain.

holy f*ck that was straight up like grand theft auto LOL

not funny tho...i cant believe she denied it like that. "what did someone come underneath me??" WTF??? yes, someone came underneath your car while you were driving. god, some people.

massacremasses
November 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Thank Goodness you're okay! Makes me want to ride with a video cam front and back! Karma will bite her butt!

Watch the language sunshine, there's ladies present and we don't want to teach the young'ums to refer to arseholes by that word. She's not a female dog, just a rotten, scumsucking, cowardly, pathetic, useless, waste of space, dendritically challenged cager.
I have a whole bunch more adjectives to suit her if you'd like to borrow them :)

I use that word sparingly.

Mocha Man
November 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Dang, I guess what they say is true: No matter how s***** of day you're having somebody always has it worse. Unfortunately for you I'm not sure anybody could have a worse day, but I know I thought mine was going pretty badly

akima
November 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM
holy f*ck that was straight up like grand theft auto LOL

not funny tho...i cant believe she denied it like that. "what did someone come underneath me??" WTF??? yes, someone came underneath your car while you were driving. god, some people.

I saw a documentary about psychopaths and how they were able to remain cool in situations just like that and not feel any attachment to the harm they cause to others. The program said that it's estimated 1 in 100 people are psychos; I suspect she is one of them.

... and welcome back James ;)

Socal5646
November 13th, 2011, 02:23 AM
HtKUZ_SNK60

I don't get why they were chasing/video taping her in the first place????:confused:

akima
November 13th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I don't get why they were chasing/video taping her in the first place????:confused:

At the start of the video they're talking about her erratic driving and conclude she's probably in a rush because she's late for work. I think they predicted that she was going to cause an accident so they started recording. Lost of people have video cameras built into their phones these days, so it doesn't require much effort to start recording.

Z300
September 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
HtKUZ_SNK60

what a stupid noooooooooooob

toua70
September 10th, 2012, 03:19 PM
geez.. glad you weren't hurt.. hopefully its an easy fix. I can't believe that idiot would take off. No chance you caught her license plates or anything? Hit and run is a felony but since you're not hurt and its only property damage, its considered a misdemeanor. That pisses me off that she would run.. wtf is wrong with people these days?!