View Full Version : Neighbors kid drops my bike....

Socal5646
November 6th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Had the bike in front of the house and the neighbors kid decides he wants to play motorcycle racer :o Luckily it didn't land on top of him...still don't know exactly what happened but she came by hysterically crying and saying "I'm sorry"....lol...only damage was the bar ends and levers I just replaced. Picked it up and made sure he was ok and sent them off. (I'm sure he's gonna be in enough trouble when he gets home). New levers and ends already ordered :thumbup:

Mocha Man
November 6th, 2011, 03:11 PM
That sucks that he dropped it but at least he already knows some of the dangers of riding, albeit, he wasn't even moving lol

avneet
November 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM
That's always a worry of mines. I park my bike in an underground garage below our building. I've already noticed people eying a chance to just sit on it and take pictures. Thus I now lock it tightly to a pole so if someone does try and sit on it when I'm not there, the chain against the pole won't allow it to fall. :thumbup:

setasai
November 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I actually use a gorilla alarm just for that purpose. It has a shock sensor so when someone touches it or sits on it, it squeals like nobody's business. Not exactly a deterrent for real thiefs but fantastic for the kiddies. Especially halloween night when I was at my friend's place parked in the corner of the driveway.

Socal5646
November 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I usually have it in the garage...No worries though...a simple childhood mistake! Lord knows I caused a few of those in my day =D

akima
November 6th, 2011, 04:25 PM
That couldn't been a lot worse for the kid.

Also... was this a girl or a boy lol? You switched between "he" and "she" half-way through and then switch back again :p

saxnbass
November 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Also... was this a girl or a boy lol? You switched between "he" and "she" half-way through and then switch back again :p

I assume he refers to the child and she was the child's mother.

Socal5646
November 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Bingo

RedCromwell
November 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Did that mother really think it was a good idea to let her child sit on someone else's vehicle? And why didn't she offer to pay for the damages? :eek:

You really handled that well. I would've been fuming.

Socal5646
November 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm guessing he was playing in the yard, dropped it and went and got his mother. <$15 for replacement parts isn't worth damaging a relationship with someone I HAVE to run into almost everyday...and like I said before...he's probably gonna be in enough trouble!

massacremasses
November 6th, 2011, 10:24 PM
IMO, I sincerely doubt it. A family with respect for their own belongings will not abuse the belongings of others. A family that would punish the child would have instilled the respect for property of others to the point where the child would not have climbed onto the motorcycle in the first place. No doubt their perspective is no harm, no foul, why worry.

The family of the evil-doer should pay for the damages. There must be consequences for the child's actions OR the child will come to believe that they can get away with doing whatever they want without fear of repercussions. You will convey the need for behavioral changes in the child by seeking reasonable financial remuneration for the damages it caused.

The punishment will be handled by the child's parent and will most likely be apropos. Without responsibility there is no freedom.

wuuuut?

you dont have kids do you?

OP you handled it nicely. I doubt she "let" him, he probably wasnt even suppose to be over there... kids, especially boys are wild and do stuff like that, I would know I have one...

My son would get his ass beat for messing with someone elses bike, but that wouldnt originally deter him Im sure.

again OP nice job, staying cool. Im sure the kid will be in trouble if his mom felt that bad.

Socal5646
November 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Exactly the way I felt. If my daughter (not that she would but if she did) damaged someone's property she DEFINITELY would get punished. Atleast a stern conversation. The whole time all I could think of was what if this were my kid...guess that's why I wasn't so hard on the little fella....

sombo
November 6th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I agree with Justin. I'm not a parent, but my sister and nieces live with me and I get to see first hand how it really is. Even when you instill what's wrong and right in a child they still can push the boundaries and even just disobey with the excuse of "I forgot". The younger one does that ALL THE FREAKING TIME, and it pisses both my sister and I off. She's like her dad, even though he's over 1000 miles away, in that she knows it's wrong (you can ask her yourself) but she does it anyway.

Some kids will do things like that just to get attention regardless of the type of attention it gets just as long as THEY are the center of attention no matter what.

I think the OP handled it just it fine by letting it go and leaving it to the mom to deal with.

Guoseph
November 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Man, your bike has had a rough life. Maybe you should invest in some of these ;)

http://www.hyosungparts.asia/images/1917976ab7e31ea26be417ec6d3a879d_image_376x550.jpg

:p

Socal5646
November 7th, 2011, 10:46 AM
lol...I was thinking the same thing! (the rough life part)

Right when I change the ends and levers and tell myself it's not going down anymore....BAM! lol

Lil_Green_Demon
November 7th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Kid should've taken the MSF course.

Trailerboy531
November 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Since you're punishing your levers to no end maybe you should think about shortys? They're awesome and don't usually get damaged when the bike goes down!

Socal5646
November 8th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Since you're punishing your levers to no end maybe you should think about shortys? They're awesome and don't usually get damaged when the bike goes down!

Maybe the next time around...already have replacements on the way!

Kid should've taken the MSF course.

lol