View Full Version : zx-6r, talk me down guys

WhiteRice
November 10th, 2011, 08:54 AM
There's a local dealer with a "new" 2010 ZX-6r for $6,995.00 on ebay. $8000 after taxes and dealer fees.

I did an insurance quote and it came out to $1100. Which is doable for me.

I would probably have to sell my ninjette, cause I don't have the room. :(

Lil_Green_Demon
November 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM
If you think you're ready to move up, go for it. The ZX6R is a sexy as hell bike!

Toly
November 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Try selling Ur ninjette first... at this time of year it's not as easy as it seems.

November 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I hope someday I will have zx-6r too:)

Live2ride
November 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Zach, how long have you owned your 250 and how many miles have you ridden it?

WhiteRice
November 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Going on 4 months and 2000 miles. I have to do the 7500 miles service this weekend :lol:

Live2ride
November 10th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Going on 4 months and 2000 miles. I have to do the 7500 miles service this weekend :lol:

I'd wait a little longer if I were you. I didn't get my zx6r until I rode over 7k miles on the ninjette and I consider myself a rather proficient rider. I've never crashed or dropped either bike and it did take some getting used to in order to ride the zx6r smoothly. I'm selling my zx6r already; the fun factor wears off when you can go 80mph+ in first gear :o. It's a lot of fun at first but completely unnecessary for most of my riding. I love both of my bikes but it's the cost that's ultimately factored in to my decision.

short version: If you can afford it comfortably; you should buy a zx6r. However, I'd wait until I hit at least 4.5k-5k miles before considering going to a supersport.:thumbup:

Boosted139
November 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I say do it, but only if you let me ride it next time we meet up ;)

Oh and don't forget to add in the 500 dollar fee they sneak in there...so its really 7500

WhiteRice
November 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Oh and don't forget to add in the 500 dollar fee they sneak in there...so its really 7500
And another ~$500 for tax...

Boosted139
November 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM
And tack on some extra $$ for your future speeding tickets :p

WhiteRice
November 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Whichever one of us buys a 600 first, I'm sure the other will follow shortly... :P

csmith12
November 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.suzeorman.com/photolibrary/resources_suze.jpg

WhiteRice
November 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
:lol: csmith I can't tell if you're being facetious...

gt_turbo
November 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
$1100 per year for insurance! so every year you're paying about 15% of what you bought your bike for. that doesn't even make sense. note to self, never move to jersey.

csmith12
November 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM
:lol: csmith I can't tell if you're being facetious...

Yea, all in good fun yo.

Dood, ride what you wanna ride, just be safe about it. My 2 cents....

alex.s
November 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM
if you can afford it, buy it. just dont ride beyond your skill level

akima
November 10th, 2011, 01:14 PM
The ZX-6R doesn't really do it for me. If you want it, you feel ready to step up to a bigger engine and you can afford it... then go for it. :)

I think I've ridden about 1500 miles. I definitely don't feel ready for a bigger engine, or even want a bigger engine. I think the only things that could persuade me to buy a new bike would be if Kawasaki made a new-new-gen Ninjette and it was AMAZING or if a really nice, affordable electric sports bike came on the market... oh oh oh, wait... OR, if Kawasaki made an electric Ninjette :D:D:D

Jono
November 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I have had my 250 for 3 months and have ridden over 2500 miles. I couldn't even consider moving up yet. I don't even know how to ride a 250 flawlessly so there is no way I could handle having a 600cc. Plus I know I would be getting in trouble with the law on that bike. Or killing myself. Both don't sound like fun. SO I would keep riding the 250 until you have many more miles on it. There is no way you have mastered the 250 yet. But If you don't care about really riding a bike then go for the 600cc, I am sure it would be a hoot to ride. But I think it will either hide your mistakes or kill you for making a mistake. But it is your money and your life, so do what YOU want. Just my couple of cents. :thumbup:

akima
November 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I have had my 250 for 3 months and have ridden over 2500 miles. I couldn't even consider moving up yet. I don't even know how to ride a 250 flawlessly so there is no way I could handle having a 600cc. Plus I know I would be getting in trouble with the law on that bike. Or killing myself. Both don't sound like fun. SO I would keep riding the 250 until you have many more miles on it. There is no way you have mastered the 250 yet. But If you don't care about really riding a bike then go for the 600cc, I am sure it would be a hoot to ride. But I think it will either hide your mistakes or kill you for making a mistake. But it is your money and your life, so do what YOU want. Just my couple of cents. :thumbup:

I think some people do progress quicker than others. I also think that some people have got the required attitude to handle bigger engine bikes early on; Ashf00t (http://www.youtube.com/user/ashf00t) being an example. She started out with a 600CC Gixxer. She shows the bike all the respect it needs, has now been riding 2+ years and is progressing well with it.

00NissanNinja
November 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I take it you aren't getting an exhaust for the 250 then:rolleyes::) haha

Go for it if you want it, I've kinda been wanting one myself that won't happen for awhile though. After tracking the 250, getting my knee down, riding for nearing a year and a half and 12,000 miles on it, I kinda want a bit more and I really liked the zx-6r when I rode it. But, I'll be waiting awhile no pressing need to get more debt haha.

Jono
November 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I think some people do progress quicker than others. I also think that some people have got the required attitude to handle bigger engine bikes early on; Ashf00t (http://www.youtube.com/user/ashf00t) being an example. She started out with a 600CC Gixxer. She shows the bike all the respect it needs, has now been riding 2+ years and is progressing well with it.

I am sure if you are a responsible person you can handle a 600cc. But with 2000 miles on your belt. You won't be able to master a 600cc. It will be a lot to handle. It depends what WhiteRice wants out of this bike. Does he want to hit the twisties at crazy speeds and really push the bike or does he just want a sweet bike to cruise around on. It would be scary telling him to get the 600 if he wants to hit the twisties because mistakes on a 600cc can be deadly or at least more dangerous than a 250. And I am not saying a 250 isn't dangerous, because it is, but if you make mistakes on a 250 they might be less severe. I just know, If you really want to be good at something you need to start out small and work your way up.

It is like learning how to race a car. You can't start out in a corvette zr1 and expect to learn how to race. That would be very very challenging. You need to start out with a less powerful machine like a mazda miata to really learn the skills.

That is just my outlook on things. This is my method of attack to learn how to ride. I plan to get a dual purpose bike next so I can hit the dirt and really get a feeling of motorcycles. This is just how I see things.

akima
November 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I see what you're saying now Jono. I agree!

I was also considering trying some dirt biking. Looks fun!

Jono
November 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I see what you're saying now Jono. I agree!

I was also considering trying some dirt biking. Looks fun!

It sure does! :thumbup: I rode a dual purpose bike in my MSF class and really, really liked it. Maybe that is why I want one.

etiainen
November 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Responsibility != starting with a 600 super sport

EDIT: Or getting one for that matter.

It's up to you, I don't think this whole "responsiblity/maturity" thing everyone always uses as a justification works, especially to newer riders. Also not to mention those terms don't mean anything unless applied specifically.

This is what I mean. When people I know or on forums who are new to riding say:

"I'm a responsible and mature, I can handle it"(I mean totally new riders here)

So, without ever getting on the thing before or learning, you're responsible and mature? Eh....

Get what you want, only you can tell if you're "ready" for it.

Sorry, rant :/

People keep asking me if they should "upgrade", then ask me why I haven't upgraded yet? Then when I explain why and how I look at riding, they give me this, "You're a pansy" look...bleh

Boosted139
November 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I say you wait until next season and after hitting the track. Then just buy a track bike. Only way to really enjoy a 600 ss

austexjg
November 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
+1 on the track - the roads are lame in comparison.

alex.s
November 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I say you wait until next season and after hitting the track. Then just buy a track bike. Only way to legally enjoy a 600 ss

fixt :thumbup:

etiainen
November 10th, 2011, 04:22 PM
fixt :thumbup:

LOLOLOL:cool:

November 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
There's a local dealer with a "new" 2010 ZX-6r for $6,995.00 on ebay. $8000 after taxes and dealer fees.

I did an insurance quote and it came out to $1100. Which is doable for me.

I would probably have to sell my ninjette, cause I don't have the room. :(

In my country, it cost $21 K. So, go for it

greg737
November 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Then just buy a track bike. Only way to really enjoy a 600 ss
+1 on the track - the roads are lame in comparison.

Come on guys, think outside the box. Didn't somebody just say the thing will do 80 MPH in first gear? I could keep up with traffic on I-90 in first gear. Who says you can't use all that supersport performance in everyday life?

choneofakind
November 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Come on guys, think outside the box. Didn't somebody just say the thing will do 80 MPH in first gear? I could keep up with traffic on I-90 in first gear. Who says you can't use all that supersport performance in everyday life?

:rotflmao:

RedOctober
November 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I just bought a ninjette 3 months ago. Now I want this...

4x4kayak2112
November 11th, 2011, 05:49 AM
WHAT!! i guess its time to upgrade, ive got over 23k on my 06 250.

leed
November 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I didn't read the whole thread.. But..

Talk me down guys
Tells me that you don't think you're ready either. When you're ready, you'll have bought one by now, unless you simply haven't got the funds yet.

Xoulrath
November 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Well, I'll throw my :2cents: in: I LOVE my 600, but I am riding most back roads in first or second gear exclusively now. I prefer the strong drive out of the corner when I'm riding hard. But even when I'm riding at a relaxed pace, it is still too easy to simply leave the bike in fourth and have decent pull.

As has been said, the 600's place is on the track. I bought mine to track it. Truthfully though, the track days will be pushed a bit further down the road for me as I committed myself to finishing my damn degree this fall. Too much money spent on school now to worry about track days.

So I find myself looking for another bike that is far more practical (and less likely to land me in jail). I have been checking out the Versys pretty hard. I have heard great comments on its handling and it has more than enough power to keep me entertained (legally). I'm not going to say you shouldn't get the 600. But keep in mind it really is a bike made for the track and if you can't track it, then you are wasting money. Kinda the reason I may likely be selling the ZX and buying a more practical and versatile bike like the Versys. I will wait until I finish my degree and then I will purchase another 600 for track use.

Johnnyscoots
November 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Whiterice: If you feel confident, then do it. The call of 600cc is too strong for a young Padawan like youself. Take your Jedi 600, ride it round and take your father's place at my side!!!! Embrace the dark side (or green, or white, or red, whatever color you wish) of the Force!!! Feel 70 mph in first gear! Bid a merry adieu to the cagers that crowd your space! The price is great! You KNOW you want it!

Damn, starting to sound like a used car salesman. I guess I picked the wrong career...

Any Hoo, enjoy it when you get it. You'll still visit us here right? Mebbe a nice vid or two about your first ride??? New Akrapovic full exhaust with FI controller??? New rearsets??? Blackstone Tek Carbon wheels??? (still filling your mind with Dark Side Ideas I am!!!)

Johnny

WhiteRice
November 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Well, I'll throw my :2cents: in: I LOVE my 600, but I am riding most back roads in first or second gear exclusively now. I prefer the strong drive out of the corner when I'm riding hard. But even when I'm riding at a relaxed pace, it is still too easy to simply leave the bike in fourth and have decent pull.

As has been said, the 600's place is on the track. I bought mine to track it. Truthfully though, the track days will be pushed a bit further down the road for me as I committed myself to finishing my damn degree this fall. Too much money spent on school now to worry about track days.

So I find myself looking for another bike that is far more practical (and less likely to land me in jail). I have been checking out the Versys pretty hard. I have heard great comments on its handling and it has more than enough power to keep me entertained (legally). I'm not going to say you shouldn't get the 600. But keep in mind it really is a bike made for the track and if you can't track it, then you are wasting money. Kinda the reason I may likely be selling the ZX and buying a more practical and versatile bike like the Versys. I will wait until I finish my degree and then I will purchase another 600 for track use.

Your situation is probably closest to mine. I appreciate everyone's input though.

I'm also looking at an '06 sv650s with 11k miles for $3k. Less money, better street bike.

Locksmiff
November 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Also to add to this. It has now become more economical for me to drive my 1.5litre echo then to ride my 2010 zx6r.

akima
November 12th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Whiterice: If you feel confident, then do it. The call of 600cc is too strong for a young Padawan like youself. Take your Jedi 600, ride it round and take your father's place at my side!!!! Embrace the dark side (or green, or white, or red, whatever color you wish) of the Force!!! Feel 70 mph in first gear! Bid a merry adieu to the cagers that crowd your space! The price is great! You KNOW you want it!

Damn, starting to sound like a used car salesman. I guess I picked the wrong career...

You'd be an awesome salesman! Most your sales would probably go to geeks like me though! :p

blink
November 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Do it. It's worth it!

greg737
November 12th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Zach, how long have you owned your 250 and how many miles have you ridden it?
Going on 4 months and 2000 miles. I have to do the 7500 miles service this weekend

At this rate, 2.4 times displacement upgrade every 4 months, you'll be "ready" for an 8.3 liter bike in another year!

blink
November 13th, 2011, 02:11 PM
At this rate, 2.4 times displacement upgrade every 4 months, you'll be "ready" for an 8.3 liter bike in another year!

:rolleyes:

NDspd
November 14th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I have 3,300 miles on my ninja and I've had it for just over 2 months.

I was seriously thinking of upgrading to a GSX-r 600, or a ZX-6r or a Ninja 650R. But I want to atleast get to 8-10,000 miles or a full year in before upgrading. Although I think I'm pretty damn good now, it's the experiences you use to learn.

I can't wait to make the jump though, a lot more passing power. I can also finally join in with the exotic car group I help run as well, lambo's + ninjette don't really mix well.