View Full Version : Luggage for long rides

kawininja92
November 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
So I'm a college student and I'm going home for a few days over Thanksgiving break. (Just Wednesday afternoon-Saturday morning) and of course I want to ride the bike home. It's only about an hour and a half a way but I'm not sure how to get all my stuff there? I always use a backpack but since I'll need a lot more clothes they won't all fit. I've seen plenty of luggage options but what's the most practical? Thanks everyone!

setasai
November 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Cheapest? And works well for a pinch. I'd say a soft dufflebag that fits as much stuff as you think you will need and then use sleeping bag straps or, my favorite, velcro straps to cinch it down tight.

http://www.rokstraps.com/moto.html
or
http://www.rei.com/product/618739/quick-tape-recreational

The quick tape velcro straps are super versatile. I love having them around. You can even strap your backpack ontop of the duffle bag to make it easier for you.

I would personally avoid bungee cords.

kawininja92
November 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM
So if I have the bag sitting on the rear seat horizontally, what do I strap it to? I guess it's hard to picture it being secure since the bag will stick out further than the sides of the bike. But I will definitely be getting some velcro strips! Thanks

akima
November 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM
For that distance and that many days away I think you could easily get away with just wearing a normal backpack and attaching spacious, magnetic, tank bag to your bike. That's what I've used for similar trips and it worked out great. I prefer not to wear a back pack while riding, but for one-off trips I don't mind.

setasai
November 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
So if I have the bag sitting on the rear seat horizontally, what do I strap it to? I guess it's hard to picture it being secure since the bag will stick out further than the sides of the bike. But I will definitely be getting some velcro strips! Thanks

It will be hard to explain and since I dont have straps on hand i'll just try to describe it as best as I can.

Imagine the bike from the top down with you standing at the back of the bike...

1) strap velcro strap to the right passenger peg loop
2) go over the duffle bag and through the handles to the left side
3) go under the undertail to the right side
4) go up over diagonally through the handles once more on the duffle bag
5) strap that to the left passenger peg loop as tight as possible.

That would be how I would start strapping it. If it needs adjustment go for it. You can even add another velcro strap and just keep wrapping until it seems secure. The velcro straps are super strong and with 9ft each roll, you have alot of length to work with. If you need more... just overlap 6inches of it and you'll get almost 18ft... or just wrap it completely differently with the 2nd strap. Be creative.

As for some parts sticking out the sides horizontally, it's not a big deal as long as it doesnt interfere with the turn signals, block the brake lights, or sticks out past the mirrors.

I have hard sidecases that stick out quite a bit and its fine. I think you can handle a dufflebag. Cheap and serves the purpose for now. Until you decide on more permanent and more expensive dedicated tail bags.

Momaru
November 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM

You can strap to the cargo hooks under the seat (assuming they haven't been removed via mod) and the passenger peg mounts. A little overhang over the edge of the bike is fine so long as it's fairly equal on both sides in size/weight. Also, expect the duffel to pick up some dirt and I suggest checking weather; no fun having all your clean clothes, etc get soaked.

That said, if you're heading home, you may be able to get away with 2 sets of clothes: the one you're wearing while riding (under your full gear ;) ) and a set in the backpack.

There's a bunch of luggage threads around, but the duffel and some tiedowns (or rope with proper knots) will do ya great.

For longer than 2-3 days, I usually use my Bags Connection cargo bag (http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,showdetail,132140711910009,en,1321407149-10369,brands.suzuki.sv650abs,BCK.CB5041,2,0Tsuche--cargo20bag,.htm) I've packed 8 days worth of clothes in there, with room for roadside tools, snacks and a bunch of other extras. It takes a bit of work to get it all strapped down, but once it's on there, it doesn't move. It's maybe not as much capacity as a pair of saddlebags and a separate tail bag, but it's a LOT of room.

Pic of me, at the Dragon with the bag on the back end. I did most of the travel to/from and a couple runs of the Dragon with the backpack strapped to the top of the bag as well.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=778&pictureid=6425

setasai
November 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
That bag is amazing. I've been considering getting one of those at some point in addition to sidecases. At $100 it's something that needs to be consciously decided on though. Too much money to purchase it on just a whim.

Momaru
November 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
FWIW, I pretty much outright sold one to Spooph at the Dragon rally this year after he had some combustion issues en route to the rally with his previous bags. I've thanked ADouglas for taking the initial dive and posting up a pretty solid review. My one nag on the bag is that I wish they had a faster attachment method (usually takes me ~10-15min to get it mounted) but I realize that's the compromise for being completely stable and removable. Also note, it's 119.95 EUR, I wound up paying ~$159 US for mine from TwistedThrottle, who is the official stateside reseller (and cheapest I could find anywhere counting shipping). Still beats the pants off most quality saddle/tail bag trios for cost.

I'm honestly not sure how it'd get along with saddlebags/cases. It does sit over the side quite a bit, essentially taking the place of all the tail luggage in one bag. PM me if you need measurements before taking the dive, if you're planning to use it with sidecases.

Frankly I forgot it was there for most of the riding, including the twisties. I kept having to look or reach back to make sure it was still attached.

EsrTek
November 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Paul's bag on that dragon trip was just awesome... you sold me on 1 along w/ Spooph.
I'll be ordering mine in Feb/March.

PS -Brian, why would you not use bungees?

Momaru
November 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks Eric, maybe I should talk to TwistedThrottle/Bags Connection about a sponsorship :p

One reason to avoid bungees is unless you've got them tensioned & attached just right, or have a boatload of them attached, I suspect they may allow the bag to shift/"walk" around on the tail, which could be very bad. Better something a bit more secure if possible.

wardie
November 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Kawaininja92 you're going for a couple days how much clothes are you going to need and it's only an hour and a half away not like three states.

Go to Walmart and purchase a 20 or 30 liter "Dry Bag". Put your clothes etc. in the dry bag and roll it up and snap the clip. Now you're water proof.

Get a cargo net, a good one not the 5 dollar ones. Stretch the net tight oveer the cargo hooks in the tail. You'l note if done properly bag doesn't move.

The bag when full will be rectangle in shape. Turn it so the long shape runs parallel or even with the seat. Nothing hangs over the seat it sits longways. Nothing catches the wind it's like a passenger laying there.

If you have any concerns about cargo net then cris-cross like an X with Rok straps. Use painters tape where the Rok strraps could contact the rear tails bodywork to avoid scratches. Avoid bungess like the plague. Many stories how bungees failed and wrapped in the rear wheel while at speed.

Alex
November 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
/moved to new-gen farkles :thumbup:

(gear area is for stuff you wear)

kawininja92
November 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Sounds like for now I'll go with a duffle bag and the velcro straps. Thanks guys!

setasai
November 16th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'm honestly not sure how it'd get along with saddlebags/cases. It does sit over the side quite a bit, essentially taking the place of all the tail luggage in one bag. PM me if you need measurements before taking the dive, if you're planning to use it with sidecases.

At the moment I'm pretty happy with my setup now. Cheap and works just fine. I actually use a dufflebag and velcro straps as well when I need more than just the sidecases but if I decide to get one, I'll give you a buzz.

PS -Brian, why would you not use bungees?

One reason to avoid bungees is unless you've got them tensioned & attached just right, or have a boatload of them attached, I suspect they may allow the bag to shift/"walk" around on the tail, which could be very bad. Better something a bit more secure if possible.

Go to Walmart and purchase a 20 or 30 liter "Dry Bag". Put your clothes etc. in the dry bag and roll it up and snap the clip. Now you're water proof.

Get a cargo net, a good one not the 5 dollar ones. Stretch the net tight oveer the cargo hooks in the tail. You'l note if done properly bag doesn't move.

Avoid bungess like the plague. Many stories how bungees failed and wrapped in the rear wheel while at speed.

Bungee's i've found are hard to work with. I get more control with straps. Same thing with cargo nets. I can never fit the right amount of stuff inside it. It's either too tight and wont go over everything or too loose because I only have a jacket or cover under it. Easier to just strap the bag down. Trick is to thread the straps through handles or any kind of loops on a bag so that it wont shift anywhere.

wardie
November 16th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Setasi you are right about cargo nets they can be a pain to get the right tension and sometimes takes a while.

Order Rok straps never a disappointment.

gfloyd2002
November 16th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Another bad word about bungees -- if you are miraculously able to get the perfect tension on them, there is still the risk that the metal hooks scratch the bike to hell.

That motech tailbag looks awesome. :drool: