View Full Version : Sideswiped.

areifel
November 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I will try to keep the story short and simple:

Basically, i was coming home from dinner last night around 10:30 going about 25-35mph about to make a right hand turn. As i leaned into the turn another bike following to close behind me ran directly into me pretty hard. (yes, i had turn signal on) His bike was fine and we didn't drop either of our bikes. He did dent my exhaust pretty bad and snapped off my right main stay bracket. everything else seems fine. both of our phones were dead so i managed to ride home with just the front brake. I was in a good amount of pain so i went to the ER once i arrived home and got a car. Turns out i broke my foot and bruised my arm pretty good. I made the silly mistake of wearing boat shoes while riding because i don't have boots (yet). They might have saved my foot from being broken.

I was just curious if a dented exhaust is bad for the bike? i have heard rumors that you should replace it when there is a decent amount of damage to it.

Also, is anyone trying to get rid of their OEM right stay main stay bracket? (part number: 35063-0386-18R) i would gladly pay for shipping and the part, if possible.

I will post pics when i can make it upstairs to the garage. ha ha. Ride safe out there guys, accidents DO happen.

Lou
November 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
:( Sorry to hear, sucks about your foot but glad that the accident wasnt any worse!!! Was he trying to pass you on the right or was he turning also???

areifel
November 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I am actually not too sure. i assume he was turning and he went to wide... he was just too close for comfort the whole entire time.

cbdallas
November 17th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Knowing how much trouble we have with cagers tailgating us, there's no excuse for one rider doing it to another. Sorry about your foot...and your bike. Definitely check E-bay for the parts....there's a lot of 250 stuff on there.

spartanturtle333
November 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
ankle and foot injuries were the topic at the end of my most recent pig vid, I love my 250 too so If the bike idles ok, does not sputter use your exaust till it falls off don't worry about the dent.

pjed
November 17th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Yiykes...that really bites. Hope you heal quickly. Is the other rider going to be held responsible?

akima
November 17th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Glad you're relatively ok and hope you heal up soon.

Same question as always: is there anything you could have done differently to avoid the accident? More mirror checks? Aborted the turn, early, when you saw how close he was? Pulled over and let him pass?

Indy250r
November 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Sorry to hear you got hit. :(

This is not to pick on you, just an opportunity for a lesson.

For the benefit of everyone here that says they can't afford gear, how much is the hospital bill for treating a broken foot?

CC Cowboy
November 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I will try to keep the story short and simple:

Basically, i was coming home from dinner last night around 10:30 going about 25-35mph about to make a right hand turn. As i leaned into the turn another bike following to close behind me ran directly into me pretty hard. (yes, i had turn signal on) His bike was fine and we didn't drop either of our bikes. He did dent my exhaust pretty bad and snapped off my right main stay bracket. everything else seems fine. both of our phones were dead so i managed to ride home with just the front brake. I was in a good amount of pain so i went to the ER once i arrived home and got a car. Turns out i broke my foot and bruised my arm pretty good. I made the silly mistake of wearing boat shoes while riding because i don't have boots (yet). They might have saved my foot from being broken.

I was just curious if a dented exhaust is bad for the bike? i have heard rumors that you should replace it when there is a decent amount of damage to it.

Also, is anyone trying to get rid of their OEM right stay main stay bracket? (part number: 35063-0386-18R) i would gladly pay for shipping and the part, if possible.

I will post pics when i can make it upstairs to the garage. ha ha. Ride safe out there guys, accidents DO happen.

Why didn't you both stop?

Any mishap on a bike needs to be checked out (unless you're running from the law).

areifel
November 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Sorry to hear you got hit. :(

This is not to pick on you, just an opportunity for a lesson.

For the benefit of everyone here that says they can't afford gear, how much is the hospital bill for treating a broken foot?

I am covered under very good insurance and actually Aflac will write me a check depending on the extent of the injury. I once broke a toe and received a decent amount. It is not that i can not afford the gear i just never got around to it. Take it as a lesson from me, get some boots!! leg injuries are the worst.

Also, there is always a way or two to avoid an accident. it was just a freak incident where i was turning right and he was way to close behind me and i didn't see him. I did check my mirrors before hand, but he was in a blind spot. i didn't get the police involved because my phone was dead and i was not in immediate pain, probably due to the adrenaline. but i may call and write a report. i actually ended up knowing the kid on the harley and his dad is the chief of police out here. odd right? What do you guys recommend? he said he would pay to fix it and the part cost $50 so i am not too worried.

areifel
November 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Why didn't you both stop?

Any mishap on a bike needs to be checked out (unless you're running from the law).

we did both stop and he followed me back to my house to check out everything in the light... my house was about 1 mile away, so i went there.

areifel
November 17th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Some might say i did the wrong thing and didn't call the police and what not, but when you are involved in an accident all the adrenaline has your mind thinking differently. i did the best that i could... we had no cell phones and there were no lights around... so i proceeded home.

Mr.E
November 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Just curious if it were a biker that you knew or not?

But any who, glad to see you're ok as in, alive. It could have been worse. I was nearly "sideswiped" by a car the other day, needless to say, that would've been very bad for me.

If it wasnt a biker you knew, I really hope you got their number and information at the very least.

matha028
November 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
That sux! Glad u r relatively ok. Wish u could have been at BWW tonight

Toly
November 18th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Glad you're relatively ok and hope you heal up soon.

Same question as always: is there anything you could have done differently to avoid the accident? More mirror checks? Aborted the turn, early, when you saw how close he was? Pulled over and let him pass?

How about wearing bloody boots, for a start...

choneofakind
November 18th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Before you get all excited and yell at the OP about AGTATT AGTATT!!!!, he already said that...

Take it as a lesson from me, get some boots!! leg injuries are the worst.

k12.usmc
November 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I guess tis the season for breaking feet, lol! Getting your foot fixed now is a f'ing b*tch, go get ur xrays and if needed a ct scan (I pulverized my cuboid bone in my left foot) as fast as u can through ur provider and go to the orthopedics and just start complaining bc they will take their flipping time bc its thanksgiving break. Originally they said come back dec 2. I was like F that because now I can barely sleep at night and I also have like 6 papers to write for school but can't because I am on 500 mg of hydrocodone.

Toly
November 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Before you get all excited and yell at the OP about AGTATT AGTATT!!!!, he already said that...

Yeah, right. He's shopping for new exhaust, not new boots.

Jojah17
November 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM
If you ever make it up to GA I've got a stock can you can have. I'd ship it to ya but it'd cost more than its worth im sure.

areifel
November 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM
That sux! Glad u r relatively ok. Wish u could have been at BWW tonight

The one on highway 27? If so I live right down the road.

areifel
November 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM
If you ever make it up to GA I've got a stock can you can have. I'd ship it to ya but it'd cost more than its worth im sure.

Thanks, I have family up there. So if I ever make a trip out there I'll let you know.

Jinx250
November 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM
No collision between 2 vehicles is ever an "accident." It's a collision. Calling it an accident implies that it was completely unforseeable and not preventable, which collisions most certainly are not. In this case, the second rider was riding far too close to the OP, and assuming the OP used his signal as he said, then that rider was also not paying attention.

"He'll pay for the part" my a$$. He should be paying for the parts plus all medical expenses. HE HIT YOU> File a police report and go after his insurance. Tough luck for you that his dad is the Chief.

areifel
November 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, right. He's shopping for new exhaust, not new boots.

It's a personal choice to wear boots. Sorry, i didn't make you happy for wearing boots going 2 miles down the road. It's not like I planned on getting hit. I understand ATGATT, I was just one of the few who thought I was invincible and I paid for that decision.

areifel
November 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Here are two photos. As you can see it is not that bad. I have actually heard stories of that peg piece snapping from people standing on the pegs while going over speed bumps. i guess they are cheaply made.

"A"
November 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
i actually ended up knowing the kid on the harley and his dad is the chief of police out here. odd right? What do you guys recommend? he said he would pay to fix it and the part cost $50 so i am not too worried.

Son of Chief of Police leaving the scene of an accident without report? :confused:

Toly
November 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Get healed up well, buddy, that all that matters. Get an estimate for the repairs and ask the other guy to pay up for them. I doubt he'll screw you over a few hundred $$, but even if he does, it's not the end of the world.

BTW, did you look over your shoulder just before turning? That's what probably got you.

jmcblitz
November 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
If it's any reassurance, the pipe doesn't look that bad.

I know a guy that rides a 250 at my school too. His looks a lot worse than yours, dents and scratches from a low-side half a year ago. His bike runs fine and he rides it everyday. So I guess that tiny dent cause trouble?

matha028
November 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Yes that one!
And ask some of the locals in the meetup group, there are some stock cans floating around

Reddoak
November 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM
**** happens. You know what? You're both alive, even if you were hurt. You held the bike up, didn't wreck, and learned something from it, right? You have good medical coverage, go ahead and use it. Go ahead and get the parts you need and fix your bike, then hand the other rider a bill and let him make it right.

As far as the other guy goes... Who hasn't made an error in judgment on a bike? Only people who haven't ridden. He screwed up. But he didn't run off on you, right? You say you have the money for gear, now you have the motivation. You also understand how quickly something can go wrong, I'll bet you do whatever you need to to keep someone from riding too close to you like this again. It's a crappy way to learn, but riding is sometimes a live and learn experience.

Good luck, heal up and fix your bike. Hopefully I see you out there sometime.

But don't run into you.

AlanDog
November 18th, 2011, 11:08 PM
No collision between 2 vehicles is ever an "accident." It's a collision. Calling it an accident implies that it was completely unforseeable and not preventable, which collisions most certainly are not. In this case, the second rider was riding far too close to the OP, and assuming the OP used his signal as he said, then that rider was also not paying attention.

"He'll pay for the part" my a$$. He should be paying for the parts plus all medical expenses. HE HIT YOU> File a police report and go after his insurance. Tough luck for you that his dad is the Chief.

I agree. Yes, it was an accident, but when I cause an accident, and the other person is injured, I'm personally and financially responsible--of course!
That's why you have liability insurance, so if you ever hurt someone, you won't go bankrupt paying their medical bills. So you can personally forgive him for an honest mistake, but it's only fair that he be held financially accountable. Whether that's his money or his insurance company, that's his responsibility.

Here's what I bet happened: the light turned green, you start to take off on the right turn, he looks left to check for traffic while pouring on the gas behind you, not wanting to be outdone by a little ninja, and before he realizes he's too close, he hits you. He was being careless...

Hope the foot heals well.

matha028
November 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Is ur rear brake pedal and peg broken too?

areifel
November 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Is ur rear brake pedal and peg broken too?

I haven't really looked at it. i think it is just the right stay that holds everything together.

areifel
November 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
If it's any reassurance, the pipe doesn't look that bad.

I know a guy that rides a 250 at my school too. His looks a lot worse than yours, dents and scratches from a low-side half a year ago. His bike runs fine and he rides it everyday. So I guess that tiny dent cause trouble?

Thanks, yeah the more i look at it the more i can deal with it. i was just use to it not having dents and it bothers me haha

blink
November 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
insurance?
court?

n4mwd
December 8th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Some might say i did the wrong thing and didn't call the police and what not, but when you are involved in an accident all the adrenaline has your mind thinking differently. i did the best that i could... we had no cell phones and there were no lights around... so i proceeded home.

Did you at least exchange insurance cards? The medical bills alone will be $20K-$30K. The bike repairs will be negligible compared to that.

areifel
February 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Foot is all healed up. It took a few months but the bike and i are as good as new. I haven't spoke with the other rider since the accident happened and i basically paid for everything out of pocket. Luckily i had great i medical insurance and the bike part was cheap too fix.

I will however, remember to exchange insurance cards next time... Which i hope will never happen *knock on wood* aha

Everything happened so quickly and i didn't even think about insurance when it happened. i was more concerned with how much pain i was in and how i didn't have a rear brake for the ride home.

I learned from my mistakes. Ride safe guys!

n4mwd
February 8th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Glad you are doing better.

loz944
February 8th, 2012, 05:49 AM
**** happens. You know what? You're both alive, even if you were hurt. You held the bike up, didn't wreck, and learned something from it, right? You have good medical coverage, go ahead and use it. Go ahead and get the parts you need and fix your bike, then hand the other rider a bill and let him make it right.

As far as the other guy goes... Who hasn't made an error in judgment on a bike? Only people who haven't ridden. He screwed up. But he didn't run off on you, right? You say you have the money for gear, now you have the motivation. You also understand how quickly something can go wrong, I'll bet you do whatever you need to to keep someone from riding too close to you like this again. It's a crappy way to learn, but riding is sometimes a live and learn experience.

Good luck, heal up and fix your bike. Hopefully I see you out there sometime.

But don't run into you.

like your outlook it all seems fair if the guy offered to pay for damage why go for his throat after all he is a fellow biker

nickjpass
February 11th, 2012, 11:44 PM
You don't really need a rear brake...I'm glad you're okay.

Firehorse
February 12th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Foot is all healed up. It took a few months but the bike and i are as good as new. I haven't spoke with the other rider since the accident happened and i basically paid for everything out of pocket. Luckily i had great i medical insurance and the bike part was cheap too fix.

I will however, remember to exchange insurance cards next time... Which i hope will never happen *knock on wood* aha

Everything happened so quickly and i didn't even think about insurance when it happened. i was more concerned with how much pain i was in and how i didn't have a rear brake for the ride home.

I learned from my mistakes. Ride safe guys!
Glad you're all healed up and that you wear all the gear even for short rides?? Right?? New booties???

nickjpass
February 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
May I suggest these...

SMX-5's on Sale (http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/AYC11-SMX5-BOOT-BLACK.jpg/Brand/ALPINESTARS%20AYC/Class2/Footwear/Class3/Street%20Boots-Mens/Class1/)

atomicrm
February 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM
good price for the boots. do they say yamaha any where on them?

choneofakind
February 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Oh Nick don't tempt me with reduced price boots right now. I need some for a track day... but I'm cheap right now...

nickjpass
February 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM
good price for the boots. do they say yamaha any where on them?

I had the same question. No, they don't. They're just different color schemes. I got the Alpinestars SP-8 gloves, and the only place they have the logo is on the tag on the inside of the glove, and on the paper tag that shows you the specs of the glove.

choneofakind

:p You know you want 'em!

choneofakind
February 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM
noooO! I can't do it just yet! I'm cheap

atomicrm
February 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Any idea how the long that price will last?

akima
February 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
nickjpass
Hey Nick: are you buying gear in preparation for when you eventually get your bike? If not you should. You've got no rush to buy, so therefore you can keep an eye out for all the best deals and get it all really cheap. I bought my bike and then bought my gear. I had to get all the gear quite quickly which meant I didn't get the nicest stuff I could've and probably paid more than I should've.

Getting gear may help encourage your Dad to change his mind too. He'll see that you've spent all this money on gear in anticipation of getting a motorcycle: it might make him realise how important it is to you and how you take the safety aspect seriously.

nickjpass
February 29th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah I thought the same thing. I need like $1500 for a bike, $100 for a helmet, something for pants, insurance, msf, etc. I have like 400 or something now.

choneofakind
February 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
all this time and that's it? dude I didn't even bring the motorcycle up for real until I had enough money to buy it...

parents like to hear that you have a plan, you have financial backing, and have been being responsible about working towards your goal. I would have literally gotten laughed at if brought up the motorcycle a bunch when I barely had enough money to get an iPod. I know you just recently started working, but I literally busted my ass keeping my grades up while working as much as I possibly could. Like 2 summer jobs for the last 2 summers, and 18-20 hours a week during the school year.

...and now I gotta waste a buttload on books every semester, but that's a whole new issue

nickjpass
February 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
all this time and that's it? dude I didn't even bring the motorcycle up for real until I had enough money to buy it...

parents like to hear that you have a plan, you have financial backing, and have been being responsible about working towards your goal. I would have literally gotten laughed at if brought up the motorcycle a bunch when I barely had enough money to get an iPod. I know you just recently started working, but I literally busted my ass keeping my grades up while working as much as I possibly could. Like 2 summer jobs for the last 2 summers, and 18-20 hours a week during the school year.

...and now I gotta waste a buttload on books every semester, but that's a whole new issue

I've worked for one month. I'm surprised I have that much. Subtract 48 for gloves.
Providing that you have stopped growing and will not buy gear that you outgrow before you get the bike :D

Yeah. Puberty is funny that way. Let's hope I don't grow too much...

Miles_Prower
May 1st, 2012, 09:48 AM
well gee. now i'm going to make myself wear boots all the time. I wear them when I go for longer rides, but yesterday I made a 2 mile (each way) trip to the store just wearing timberland boots (low cut). Who knows what can happen, clearly. Plus the wind felt very cold on my ankles.

This forum reminds me that I need to be vigilant every single time!