View Full Version : Rear ended..thank god not on my bike.

Jay72
December 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Just thought I would share this, I was back home this past weekend visiting my parents, and I went out to the store, sitting in a line of cars waiting for the red light to change, and POW!!! WTF just happened??? Hit me so hard she slammed me into the truck in front of me, and I have a habit of stopping so I can see the ground in front of me between myself and the car ahead. Air bag went off. Had to kick my door open to get out. In shock of course, stayed calm, ambulance came and took me to the hospital, spent 8 hours there, tons of tests nothing broken but very bruised and banged up. Still waiting to see if the van is going to be a right off or not, I would think so but not sure. Crappy part is that we just bought that van a few months ago. Here are some pictures.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/Jayham72/DSC_2160.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/Jayham72/DSC_2168.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/Jayham72/DSC_2167.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/Jayham72/DSC_2166.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/Jayham72/DSC_2163.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/Jayham72/DSC_2162.jpg

250rr
December 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
That really sucks, but as you mentioned, better rear-ended in the van than the bike.

Glad nothing's broken. :)

TBC
December 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
That really sucks, but as you mentioned, better rear-ended in the van than the bike.
By far :eek:!

Glad to hear that you're okay, at the least.

akima
December 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Woah. Good day to be working a cage. :eek:

Jono
December 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Dang! They completely smashed into you. That sucks! Glad you weren't on the bike or might not be here today in a situation like that. You would have been crushed between two cars. This is why I always look in my rear view mirror when cars are coming up behind me. I watch them until they are completely stopped.

miss_syn
December 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
The person who rear ended you failed at driving.

midknight
December 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
sorry bout the wreck - glad you're ok! That van is totalled. I'm assuming it's unibody - the way the back is pushed under itself there'd have to be a lot of uni-body (or frame straightening) going on to get it back right!

EsrTek
December 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Glad your OK, but that van is totaled... I had much less damage on my van drivers side rear corner, but the way the metal folded under itself made it a total loss.
Any idea how fast the person hitting you was doing at impact??

nickjpass
December 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
+1 Totaled

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you heal up well, and everything goes well.

Jay72
December 7th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone, the cop figured she, as in a 17 year old girl, was doing betweent 60 to 70 km/h. I was sitting still. So now i am waiting to hear from the insurance adjuster, but I did talk to the guy at the collision centre and he figures it's a total too. I am lucky though we just bought it 6 months ago, but I bought an extended warranty and part of that has GAP coverage, to cover whatever the insurance company doesn't give me. So keeping my fingers crossed that this all works out in the end.
Oh I should mention that this happened in the city I used to live in, I was there visiting for the weekend, I live 3 hours away...so even more inconvience for me.

nickjpass
December 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Was she texting?

Jay72
December 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
That is what I was thinking, but she told the cop she just looked down for a second, he said he doubted that because there were no skid marks except from my van from her pushing me about 10 feet forward. So my guess, more than likely texting...but I didn't stick around to find out I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. One of the big piss off's is that my van was an 08 and she was driving a 98 Sunfire...worth nothing. Thank god for good insurance here.

Mountain Dew
December 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Any idea how fast the person hitting you was doing at impact??

From the looks of the damage, probably the speed limit of that road. Looks like they didn't even press the brakes. Either fell asleep at the wheel or texting.

Damn lucky you were in a van and not on your bike.

Jay72
December 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Speed limit was 50 k, figured she was doing 60 to 70 and yup no brakes used, not sure of texting, didn't fall asleep, happened at 12:30 in the afternoon, just a young kid obviously very little driving experience. Like I said in my title at least I wasn't on my bike, or I might not have been here rtight now.

akima
December 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Speed limit was 50 k, figured she was doing 60 to 70 and yup no brakes used, not sure of texting, didn't fall asleep, happened at 12:30 in the afternoon, just a young kid obviously very little driving experience. Like I said in my title at least I wasn't on my bike, or I might not have been here rtight now.

I often sit in neutral while stopped at lights. I do it to give my clutch hand a chance to relax. This episode makes me thing maybe I should stay in 1st and stay focused on my mirrors.

EsrTek
December 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I should stay in 1st and stay focused on my mirrors.
It's exactly what I do.. I watch until 3 cars back have stopped.

Jay72
December 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
akima...I am not sure how old you are or how long you have been driving, but for me I have been driving over 20 years, and this is only my second accident, first was when I was 16, a drunk pulled out in front of me and now at 39, this so you can't really be worried and I wouldn't do anything different. Stuff happens and sometimes you just have no say in the matter, if you know what I mean.

Jiggles
December 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Ah! But if you were on a bike you would have been lane splitting and not even been in the situation!

I really hope her friend got that text...

Mountain Dew
December 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I still don't understand why driving a car is so damn boring that you need to text your friends.

nickjpass
December 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Gossip

NDspd
December 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Jesus man, glad you were in a cage, couldn't imagine if you were on your bike. Looks like she had to of been texting or something and completely didn't react.

akima
December 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
akima...I am not sure how old you are or how long you have been driving, but for me I have been driving over 20 years, and this is only my second accident, first was when I was 16, a drunk pulled out in front of me and now at 39, this so you can't really be worried and I wouldn't do anything different. Stuff happens and sometimes you just have no say in the matter, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. I do like to do things to alleviate risk though. Some of the stuff I do has actually saved me. I made a thread about eye protection and from reading people's advice I decided to close my visor before getting above like 8MPH. Not long after changing my behaviour a car drove over a bottle and it exploded and sprayed my body, bike and visor with shards of glass. If I was using my old behaviour I would have almost certainly had my visor open and glass in my eyes... on a busy 3 lane roundabout.

I do get you though. It's about striking a balance. If I really wanted to be 100% safe from the various means of being squished, snapped, skinned, impaled, catapulted or burnt on a motorcycle I could just stop riding... but I don't wanna! The risk is worth it.

Gurk
December 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'm not gonna lie I've texted while driving but holy hell. This girl must have not been looking at all. Usually when I text I fail more at texting because I focus on the road way more. 90% of the time I can't focus on texting enough so I have to wait for a redlight anyway. lol.

Really glad you weren't on your bike. This alone should be reason why lane splitting at traffic should be legal everywhere.

JoeLansing
December 25th, 2011, 09:15 PM
The title "Rear Ended..thank god not on my bike." had me worried.. I thought maybe you were in prison..:(
- Joe

nickjpass
December 25th, 2011, 11:46 PM
:confused40:

Jay72
December 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM
The title "Rear Ended..thank god not on my bike." had me worried.. I thought maybe you were in prison..:(
- Joe

Nope, no prison, THANK GOD!!! lol