View Full Version : went around the corner...then bam!!...

gitoy
December 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
so about 50 yards from my driveway i round the corner at about 20...suddenly a brown dog ran in front of me not even looking left right and next thing i know bam!..i hit it...the front wobbled then washed away, me sliding about 20 feet on my back, the dog running drunkenly with a lame leg...

guys and gals...i was on my back just laying there to what seems like an eternity thinking did i break anything...so i finally get up and i see the 250 on the other side of the road lying on some ice plants on a slope...one would think with the adrenaline i could pick the bike up no problem but man i couldn't, till some guys passing gave me a hand...

so the bike is running okay and has more scratches now but no big deal since it is my rat bike...myself, have a sore right shoulder and rashes on my leathers and helmet...

i have tens of thousands of miles riding the canyons and twisties and i guess it is true that most crashes happen within 5 miles from home, or is that 10, 20?...first get off in over 90k miles...

Trailerboy531
December 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Did this happen in PV? Which Part? I'm down in Hermosa. Might be nice to know where to look out next time i'm up there...

Glad you're okay.

gitoy
December 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
yeah on colt rd, near pvde...

cuz
December 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
gal you were wearing the gear and living yea i guess oneself less the gard down near home :/

EsrTek
December 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
went around the corner...then bam!!...

Know that feeling..also happened to me last Friday afternoon. At least you know why yours happened...me I can only guess from the evidence after the crash.

Anyway glad your ok :thumbup:

setasai
December 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Damn... you just never know when it'll get you. Glad you're ok and hell yeah for gear!

greg737
December 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Besides cagers on cellphones nothing scares me like the various animals that roam across the roads.

Here in Spokane we've got the usual cats, dogs, turkeys and loads of really stupid deer. And if you're riding the roads up in the hills there are even elk and moose to worry about.

Jiggles
December 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Besides cagers on cellphones nothing scares me like the various animals that roam across the roads.

Here in Spokane we've got the usual cats, dogs, turkeys and loads of really stupid deer. And if you're riding the roads up in the hills there are even elk and moose to worry about.

I think a moose will win in a fight against a ninja

NDspd
December 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I've had squirrels, deer, nearly a turkey on my ninja, but on my corvette a wolf.

greg737
December 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Back in the 1990s the motorcycle safety course at Elmendorf AFB included a story about a very unfortunate rider who left base one afternoon to ride home from work. On the way home he hit a baby moose. He wasn't going very fast but both he and the baby moose went down. The rider was stunned but basically okay... until the momma moose came running from the side of the road and thoroughly stomped him.

n4mwd
December 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Dogs can be a problem. They are the only animals that I know of that will deliberately run in front of a motorcycle. You might hit other animals, but its not because they wanted you to.

There was another guy that posted a similar problem with a dog. In his case, he hit the dog in the turn, broke the dog's neck and the owner paid for damages I think.

It wasn't clear in your OP whether you hit the dog in the turn or just after in the straight.

gitoy
December 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM
d...just right after the turn...went looking for the dog to make sure it is okay but couldn't find it...

alex.s
December 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
sorry to hear it, gitoy. but its a prime example of what some people refuse to believe... (*cough "A" cough*) sometimes accidents happen by accident.

250rr
December 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
sorry to hear it, gitoy. but its a prime example of what some people refuse to believe... (*cough "A" cough*) sometimes accidents happen by accident.

+100

gitoy
December 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
i want to point out that i was just going to the store and i thought here we go again...put on my leathers, pants, jacket, gloves, boots, helmet...the whole process takes a few minutes and i haven't a get off in 90k+ miles...

well i guess i can't complain now...

Nemesis
December 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Suckage!

n4mwd
December 8th, 2011, 04:38 AM
d...just right after the turn...went looking for the dog to make sure it is okay but couldn't find it...

Well, I might have gone looking for the dog too, but not to see that it was OK.

Unless, you live in the sticks or a 3rd world country, there are probably dog laws where you live. The dog's owner is responsible for damage and injuries they cause. In many places, they have laws requiring dogs to be on a leash. You had both damage to your bike and minor injuries. If you ever find out who the owner is, you should send them a bill.

massacremasses
December 8th, 2011, 07:42 AM
lol no compassion for the dog...

sorry for your tumble. suuucks.

Nemesis
December 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM

Well, I might have gone looking for the dog too, but not to see that it was OK.

Pretty sure he omitted the following:

d...went looking for the dog to make sure it is okay cuz if it was I was gonna make damn sure it wasn't...but couldn't find it...lucky B!t@%

gitoy
December 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM
guys...i am sore all over today...seems like a dog mauled me...

EsrTek
December 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I was sore from mine until Wed this week, so about 5 days then back to normal when I woke up on day 6.

Alex
December 9th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Know that feeling..also happened to me last Friday afternoon. At least you know why yours happened...me I can only guess from the evidence after the crash.

What happened? How's the bike? You OK?

EsrTek
December 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Took a week of going over and over in my head and goin back to scence a few times looking at scrape marks...Basically I lost front end, guess tryin to lean to far for my slow speed, low sided at >20 mph. At the time, I really had no clue, I was riding like 1/10 on the scale and just came off the highway.. I put too much confidence the IRC's where warm and would stick :(
Actually looked worse, but removing the black sticker took 99% of the scratches off, only 3 made it thru sticker to scratch fairing. Front brake lever bent toward front and rashed, mirror rashed, exhaust rashed and broke the left front cowl (upper part above last nut to hold windshield) and of course the windshield and turn signal.

Got $2200+ from Progressive on Monday to replace all parts, plus labor and I'm doing it myself, yet they gave me same price the dealer wanted :)
Ordered all the parts to replace it all (I will just keep new right side fairing for when I sell it, the one on it is fine).
I actually got some upgrades from this I been wanting... Area P full exhaust + jetkit, Sport Demon set, adjustable levers and some new gear (still looking into the gear, think I need to replace the helmet after this).

and finally Yes I am ok... sore right shoulder, which hit first, but the leathers did their job and didn't even scuff. Also my left ankle has some knicks, not rash but like you'd get if you slipped and skimmed your leg on something hard. I guess that came from draggin across the bike as it slid out.