View Full Version : new tires

racegunnr
December 8th, 2011, 07:46 AM
wonder how theses would work on the n250? smaller than stock, but i think they would still fit??? yes-no?

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=46797

Rexbo
December 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
they would be freakin awesome, now if only pirelli would pay out contingency money at CVMA!

choneofakind
December 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Finally a good sticky radial tire that's actually MEANT for the size rim that the 250 has

evi1joe
December 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Why not make them in 110/130 or 110/140 (versus 100/125)? Is it a flickability thing?
I would imagine the thin radials would have as much surface-contact as a thinner bias-ply though...not sure about how they differ when leaning.

I've always heard that bias-ply were horrible (I thought the +08 rims were changed so there would be radial options) but the Sport Demons get great reviews.... Ive been holding out on new tires (I have the IRC ROAD WINNERS) looking for a 110/140 radial that will fit and gets as good or better reviews than the SD. I don't race or plan on riding much in the rain, but I always buy good tires.

Jiggles
December 9th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Why not make them in 110/130 or 110/140 (versus 100/125)? Is it a flickability thing?
I would imagine the thin radials would have as much surface-contact as a thinner bias-ply though...not sure about how they differ when leaning.

I've always heard that bias-ply were horrible (I thought the +08 rims were changed so there would be radial options) but the Sport Demons get great reviews.... Ive been holding out on new tires (I have the IRC ROAD WINNERS) looking for a 110/140 radial that will fit and gets as good or better reviews than the SD. I don't race or plan on riding much in the rain, but I always buy good tires.

http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq/maintaining.html

What’s the difference between radial tires and bias-ply tires?
The main difference between radials and bias-ply tires lies in their construction. Tires aren’t just toroidal balloons, they are reinforced with cords of steel or synthetic materials such as nylon or Aramid. In bias-ply tires, the fibers are wrapped in an X pattern between the beads; in radial tires, the fibers are wrapped perpendicular to the tread. Radial tires have more flexible sidewalls than bias-ply tires, and thus absorb road irregularities better and have a comparatively larger contact patch when leaned over. Because of the flexible nature of a radial, these offer higher mileage compared with a comparable bias-ply for a given rubber compound. Since they absorb small road irregularities better, they ride more comfortably and are less likely to be upset by groovy pavement.
While radial tires perform better than bias tires, some older motorcycles can’t be fitted with radial tires because of differences in rim profiles. You probably won’t notice much of a difference anyway, so stick with boas tires if that’s what the motorcycle was designed for.

Radials tend to last longer because they don't retain as much heat as Bias Ply. (I've wondered if for this reason that Bias Ply would be better in colder climates? No idea though....)

Bias ply are also less susceptible to punctures

Rexbo
December 9th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Probably because this way you can fit them on 125gp rims (normally 90/110 front/rear) AND 250 rims (110/130 front rear). Widens the scope of bikes they'll work with.

Also the bridgestone BT-003rs is a 110/140 radial that is a great sticky tire for our ninjas. Check into those

Nemesis
December 9th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I race on BT003rs and that's all I ride on. I personally feel I'm not suffering in grip or times. They are great tires for our Ninjas. However, I will be honest with you, they do tend to slide in the rear a bit which I'm sure most any tires will do when push comes to shove. As I push more & more on the front I'm starting to feel the front slide a bit more than I'm accustomed to.

Now keep in mind I'm racing on these...if you're just riding the street oh they will be plenty fine.

I would like to try other tires but sadly that would be a breach of contract. :(

dino74
December 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Ive been holding out on new tires (I have the IRC ROAD WINNERS) looking for a 110/140 radial that will fit and gets as good or better reviews than the SD. I don't race or plan on riding much in the rain, but I always buy good tires.

I'm a big fan of the BT-045 for the street. I did my first four track days on them and had no problem getting my knee down. Also, the last one was in the rain. My friend who was at the track that rainy day was amazed the bike could get decent lean in the rain. She thought for sure I'd crash :p

Jinx250
December 9th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Why not make them in 110/130 or 110/140 (versus 100/125)?

Because the 110/140 combo is not made to fit on the size rims the 250 sports. Wider does not equal better.

Nemesis
December 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Because the 110/140 combo is not made to fit on the size rims the 250 sports. Wider does not equal better.

:confused:

evi1joe
December 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but I worry about the BT003rs in wet conditions...even though I rarely ride in the rain, the roads stay wet around here. Sorry for hijack.

sowega
December 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Interesting, but we can't run slicks in WERA's 250 class.

choneofakind
December 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM

just like a 130 or 140 Bias Ply is meant for a 3.5 inch rim like the 250 has, a 125 width radial is meant for a 3.5 inch rim. This is because of the construction of the tire. Radials either need a wider rim for the same width tire, or a smaller width tire for the same rim.

Nemesis
December 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Interesting, but we can't run slicks in WERA's 250 class.

This is why CVMA freakin' rocks! Run what you want but leave the gaddang engine and major components alone.

And this rule also allows other racers to race in other classes without having to buy DOT tires and what not.

I love our race org. :thumbup: