View Full Version : CB1000R or CBR600RR

Broc
December 14th, 2011, 12:10 PM
As the title says. I am purchasing a new bike as of Saturday if everything goes well. Both are brand new off the showroom floor in black. I loved the 250r but I'm a Honda fan boy deep down. Time to move on.

However I am torn. I do all street riding and commute every day on the bike. I also love weekend trips and twisties. The wife would also like to do some more 2 up riding.

I love the 2011 CB1000R looks, power, comfort, it's nimble, it's narrow, & has a do all attitude. You can run the bike on 87 octane do to the low compression and the single-side swing arm not only looks cool but makes maintenance a snap! Not sure how I like the dirt bike bar thing yet, as I have yet to even sit on one due to the dealerships being so far away. Getting a pretty good deal OTD as well.

The 2009 CBR600RR C-ABS, race attitude, light weight, sport bike positioning, & similar power. The price is about $800 cheaper than the CB1000 and it is 1 hour closer to me. ABS!!!!!ABS!!!!! - From all the reviews I read it seems to work amazing and increases safety(also lowered the insurance quote) Again, getting a pretty good deal OTD on this one as well. Bike is less comfortable by nature.

It seems the bikes are very close in HP/TQ numbers with the CB1000 taking a slight lead. I read the CB1000 has a smooth usable power. The CBR600RR Revs out quite a bit higher and is a "peakier" power. However, Honda claims changes to the 09's that greatly improved the low-mid range ooomph.

I have ridden a older F4i many times and loved it. Yet to ride a new CBR or CB(No test rides around here.) Both are ending up costing me almost exactly the same +/- a few dollars a month. The insurance is almost the same as well. I've always been a sport bike guy but I'm getting older and the CB1000 kinda seems nice. I'm a little scared to leave clip-ons in the dust. So now it is just a fact of picking one.

I don't post much but I can't make up my mind. What does every one else think?

k-os
December 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
CB1000R looks awesome. I'd pick it over the 600 because of the single-sided swingarm (SSSA) alone. The dirt style bar can easily be changed out for clip-ons on the fork tubes.

Alex
December 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Very different bikes. The 600RR is one of the most street-friendly 600's, but it's still a relatively high-strung race-rep. Much more aggressive riding position (uncomfortable for many, but not all, while in commuting mode). Peaky power, though not as weak as some other 600's.

The CB1000R has much more usable power across the board, but ultimately similar peak power. It will be easier and less stressful to ride in most street situations, but as speeds ramp up, it will feel less buttoned down than the CBR. Looks like the wind protection is not stellar on the the CB, but it's all about preference there.

Bottom line, see if you can get test rides on these different classes of bikes. If not these exact bikes, spend some time on any 600, and on a liter naked (Z1000, FZ1, etc.), to see what strikes your fancy.

blink
December 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Id do the 1000 only because a talked to a few people and they all bought cbr600's this season and want the 1000, they say the powerband isn't suitable to their needs or what ever.
They want more power,. I don't know, I haven't ridden them so I'm not to say.

Did you test them both out? Do that first then decide!

Gurk
December 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
CBR, just cause SS bikes friggin rule :D

I own the most uncomfortable of the 4 big guys but i got really used to it and it doesn't bother me one bit now. I actually feel retarded on a 250 right now cause it's very upright in comparision. I look for that aggressive position now whenever I sit on a bike.

Probably not gonna be the most popular opinion but hey...

alex.s
December 14th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Toly
December 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
It seems like CB1000R is your cup of tea, so go for it. You would be buying CBR600rr for all the wrong reasons.

Broc
December 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys,

Decided to hold off pulling the trigger this weekend. Going to go look at CB1000 in person as well as a bunch of other bikes including the CBR600RR. Hopefully I can talk one of the dealers into a test ride.

I lost my motivation for a new bike after my ride on the 250R yesterday. It was 60 degrees out and I had so much fun it has me double thinking trading up. You simply cannot ride anything else like this on the street. I think I just needed to ride, winter cabin fever.

See if any of the bikes I look at Saturday spark my desire to buy again.

Toly, how does the 09 CBR600RR feel for usable power in the city?

Toly
December 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM

If you're riding mainly in the streets, Ninja would serve you better. But CBR is a much better ride on the highway for these reasons:

* passing cars is a non-event
* better stablility in turns
* not much affected by wind.

The powerband is smooth and while overwhelming at first, you will easily get used to it. I usually ride at 7K rpm on the highway, throttling up to 9-10 for passing, depending on the traffic situation. 10-11K is usually more than enough for pretty much anything on the highway, but you can take it to the redline if you feel adventurous, have no traffic and no cops around ;)

In regular street riding you can still go through four gears, shifting about 4-5K rpm, but the bike isn't really happy under 30mph. CBR is most happy in 8.5-12K range, and is quite an addictive ride at 80mph and above.

If you normally ride at 50mph or below, Ninja would be a better ride, though.

gogoKawi
December 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM
The CB1000R is very nice. I sat on one last week and it felt very comfortable. I would say it's comparable to the Z1000's ergos.

I'm on the opposite end of what Alex stated about ergos. To me, the CBR600 is the most comfortable 600 SS I've sat on. Most people I know feel the CBR is the most comfortable. Don't you love how opinions differ!

Alex
December 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I said that the CBR is one of the more street-friendly race reps, but it's still going to have a much more aggressive riding position than the CB1000R (or any non race-rep bike). Some people don't like having the bars at almost the same height as the seat. Some don't mind.

gogoKawi
December 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I said that the CBR is one of the more street-friendly race reps, but it's still going to have a much more aggressive riding position than the CB1000R (or any non race-rep bike). Some people don't like having the bars at almost the same height as the seat. Some don't mind.

Reading fail on my part! :bangdesk: Replying on the forums and talking on a conference call do not mix.

Ranor
December 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2012-Triumph-Street-Triple-R-1.jpg

DO IT! :P I know you didn't mention this as one of your options but it is a great bike... maybe you should consider it :)

TygaUSA.com
December 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
CB1000R - easy choice.

Flying Pig
December 21st, 2011, 10:40 AM
If you care for the buttocks of your wife, you'll go with the cb1kr.

Look at the rear seat of any Honda rr... it's not much more than a piece of cardboard :laugh:
Even the rider's seat is pretty paltry at best.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company55145/272089_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/Honda%20CB1000R%2011%20%205.jpg

Plus, as Alex already mentioned, the ergonomics of the cb will be more comfortable for you (and your wife).

greg737
December 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM

Any motorcycle that will go over 70 MPH in first gear really doesn't have "usable power in the city" unless you're filming another installment of the "Fast and Furious" movie franchise.

backinthesaddleagain
December 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
As Alex said the CBR is probably the most comfortable of the 600's (for the rider). Like any sport bike not much of a passenger seat.Being a 600 there isn't much pull under 7K rpm, but you can ride around the city roads at lower rpm and when the roads get less crowded its a quick climb up from 7K.