View Full Version : Last Minute Christmas? Contour Roam for $89

gfloyd2002
December 19th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Amazon running a special on the Contour Roam - $89 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GLFSYQ/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk). Use the coupon code 89ROAM89, and it also comes with free next day shipping. Good product for less money than you can get the lower line ContourHD. The Roam has wide angle lens, with 270 degree rotation, waterproof, still photo mode, etc. Amazing value at $89.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Qn7sPmIhL._AA300_PIbundle-1,TopRight,0,0AA300_SH20_.jpg

alex.s
December 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
ARG damnit! i JUST bought a gopro for 130$!! this is such a better deal!

saxnbass
December 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
And I just ordered a new DriftHD last week; it's supposed to get here tomorrow.

Kevin2109
December 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Its ok, the contour takes **** video. Watch how off the colors are, and it doesnt shoot 60fps in any format

yk_PivdWI3g

FrugalNinja250
December 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just tried to buy it, entered the promo code, price stayed at 162.37. Bah...order cancelled.

Jiggles
December 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Just tried to buy it, entered the promo code, price stayed at 162.37. Bah...order cancelled.

It just worked for me, did you capitalize ROAM?

FrugalNinja250
December 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
It just worked for me, did you capitalize ROAM?

I just copied and pasted right from this thread. Let me try it capitalized...

It was capitalized the first time since it is in this thread. I just tried it again and got this error:

There was a problem

* We're sorry, we weren't able to save your gift card or promotional code information. Please enter it again or try using another form of payment.
* A gift card or promotional code is required.
* The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase.

Oh well, not meant to be I guess...

Jiggles
December 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I just copied and pasted right from this thread. Let me try it capitalized...

It was capitalized the first time since it is in this thread. I just tried it again and got this error:

There was a problem

* We're sorry, we weren't able to save your gift card or promotional code information. Please enter it again or try using another form of payment.
* A gift card or promotional code is required.
* The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase.

Oh well, not meant to be I guess...

Use a browser that doesnt fail?

FrugalNinja250
December 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Use a browser that doesnt fail?

This browser buys stuff off amazon all the time without difficulty.

Gorilla25
December 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM
code dont work...cancelled order

burningscooter
December 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Its ok, the contour takes **** video. Watch how off the colors are, and it doesnt shoot 60fps in any format

does youtube support 60fps yet?

Kevin2109
December 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
does youtube support 60fps yet?

Did you watch the video? The colors are completely off. Any way the 60fps when shooting helps stabilize the video (try shooting 30fps with the gopro and youll see what I mean) Aldo with 60fps you can slow down the video without making it choppy

burningscooter
December 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
Did you watch the video? The colors are completely off. Any way the 60fps when shooting helps stabilize the video (try shooting 30fps with the gopro and youll see what I mean) Aldo with 60fps you can slow down the video without making it choppy

Im already over it. :cool:

Kevin2109
December 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
Im already over it. :cool:

Then dont waste my time by asking a question you dont really want an answer to

Kthanksbye

burningscooter
December 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
then dont waste my time by asking a question you dont really want an answer to

kthanksbye

lol. Qqqqqq

Snafu
December 28th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I ordered 3. They made great Xmas gifts!

gfloyd2002
December 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Mine came, can't wait to start posting vids. :) Value for the money at $89 with free shipping was amazing. Super easy to use, too, with massive on/record switch easy to operate with gloves on, and waterproof right out of the box, no need for case. The 170 degree lens is super useful, same as on GoPro Hero for less money. Rotating lens assembly really useful, too, very easy to mount sideways and upside down. :thumbup:

My initial thoughts are that the video is actually pretty good. As noted below, it doesn't do 60fps at 720p like more expensive cameras, offering 30fps at 1080 or 960 like the more expensive ones though. No biggie on the lack of lower quality/high frame rate option unless you want to replay in slow motion and keep things smooth. Quality at 1080 is much better than reflected in the video clip below, and actually quite good. I suspect graininess/washout is from combination of low light and poor use of aperature settings on the camera. Adjusting aperature settings (which is easy) makes all the difference - quality of video at 1080 should not be a concern with this camera. Makes me think the shooter of video below made bad quality on purpose.

In addition to lack of dual mode allowing smooth slomo replay, another downside I've noticed is that the battery isn't removable, so no hot-swapping batteries to extend life on the road - you have to plug the thing in to recharge if you want to film more than 3 or 3 1/2 hours at a time.

Anyway, stay tuned for some postings in video section. Maybe some safety videos?