View Full Version : How was your 2008 Ninjette purchase experience?

Alex
June 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Mine was lengthy. :p I've wanted to pick up one of the new models ever since I saw a spy shot of a bunch of them out on track. Called dealers months ago to see when they'd be getting some in, but they were all taking deposits at pretty high sale prices. I didn't want to play that game, so waited a few months to see if the supply would catch up with demand.

Well, as of May 2008, here in California at least, it hadn't. And the asking prices (out the door) from dealers that actually had 1 or 2 in stock, were astronomical. You could buy bikes with MSRP's almost twice the 250R's, for about the same out the door price. So I cringed and didn't bite at those offers either.

But, after complaining about the pricing online, someone pointed me to a craigslist post with a 2008 red ninjette, exactly the color we were looking for. Only 1,000 miles, 2 months old, and zero defects. And the price was reasonable. We went over just a few hours after seeing the post, and it was exactly as described. I took a short test ride just to make sure, and the deal was done.

The bike already had its 600 mile service, had already been broken in (by a brand-new rider, so I have confidence that RPM limits and other limits in general were likely followed reasonable closely). Since picking it up, I put on an additional 1500 miles in just 10 days after the purchase, and that pretty much confirmed that the bike was in perfect shape.

I'm so glad to have another 250 back in the garage, and it puts as large a smile on my face when I'm riding it as our other bikes. The smiles/cost ratio is simply off the charts, though!

I'd post pics here, but that shiny red bike you often see in the top left (and on the splash page (http://ninjette.org)) is most likely ours.

Sailariel
July 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Around June 20th, a good friend recommended the 250R--He rides a Ducati 990. I did some research on the net and decided that this was definitely the bike for me. Calls to dealers in Maine and New Hampshire asking if they had a new 250R yielded responses like "Buddy, you gotta better chance of seeing God" and "All the ones I have soming in are sold. I`ll take your name if I get a cancellation." I finally got a hit from a small dealer in rural Maine who had one with Monster Energy Graphics for $3700. I told him to hold it and that I would be right up. I bought the bike on June 26. My bike came with Dunlop Arrowmax GT 501 tyres.

Alex
July 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Glad you were able to track one down. I believe mine came with the 501's as well...

N.M.smallponiesbigsmiles
September 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
After a 20yr break ,Lord willing I am back. Started out looking at the versy 650 sweet ! you see my bikeing past was dirt 250 ossa ,250 maico tt 500 yammaha and my last a xt 500 yammaha so i wanted something along the same line. the trails i was planing on going i didint think the versy would handel as well as the 650 klr would.and haveing done a little recherche on the after 20yr all new 08 KLR 650s & the 250 ninja.I told my sales person that id go ahead and get the klr. jokeingly saying with the money diff. between the versy and klr i could throw in a little more $ and have the KLR & the 250 ninja hahaha.haveing never owened a or road a total street bike i just thought it looked kool in the revues that ive studied the green one really looked cool . Anyway bought the klr in june love it my pack mule heavy kawapiggy mule,nice bike. Anyway a pair of 250 ninjas came in to the bike shop black ones sat on them looked em over sweet.NO NO NO you cant have one you dont know the first thing about street bikes anyway I told my self you already have a new one anyhow! but they look so cool NO ! Always wanting more never happy ,this guy meaning my self is something else ah NO!!!! Well that's over with. August 18th in the service department to make a service date for my wonderful mule.I don't know if any ones noticed but bike shops are pretty busy now days,I had me some waiting time to look around and waiting time,boreing and wai....whats that little peice of eye candy they just un crated and serviced could it be that little ninja Ive heard was coming soon? Man sure looks like its green wow some lucky some ones gona get that pretty bike kool for them !waiting,waiting well be right with you sir we haven't forgot you. I smile turn around in time to see them roll out the pretty green ninja for its test run, My smile gets bigger.Man That's a pretty bike some lucky some one some Sir ....SIR ! wakeing from like a ninja induced trance ah wa wha yes Mam .What can we help you with today sir ? Well ,Bla,bla got a date for the bike not me i wish,turn around its gone! out for its test ride i bet sure was a pretty bike though.Walk out side hear comes the test rider grin touching both sides of his helmet ,must be some fun ride I said to my self some lucky some one oh well.just about ready to leave and hear comes my sales man ya see the new green just came in yeah i said sweet. do you want me to see if you can get it ? I wish.Well wait im singel and have been a pretty good boy,, well go ahead if your not doing any thing important cause i already told my self no when i saw the black ones remember ?I doubt if my credit will allow it . ILL see what I can do nice guy.well august 19th i was and still is the owner of my first ever street bike and as far as I know the worlds only talking green ninjette. I love this new to me demintion in my bike world.I ride the ninja more than the KLR.Offten times now on the littlest hint of a curb IM the Dr. about to do surgery on it yeah THAT'S What im talking about Bamb !! next. Really im happy'er than iv'e been in a long time made a good choice.IM that Lucky some one.
Thank You again Lord ! And thanks be to you all for readingThis long winded acount. Safe rideing Latter!!!

TheDuck
November 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
My purchase experience was really quite simple. Back in March earlier this year I had been considering a smaller fun bike and read about the 250R so I had to check one out. I went to the dealer, they didn't have one at all. I wanted a blue one, so I left my number on the lengthy list. I was told it would be a few weeks before one MIGHT come in. I kinda made a good friend with the salesman and introduced myself to the owner and told him a little bit about what I do too!

I guess thats why I got such a quick turnaround because....

I got a call the following morning... a blue one had arrived, damn that was quick! I went on in there immediately and negotiated a special price in trade out for advertising on my radio program. (Big secret not allowed to say $ shhh!) They prepped the bike and I left with it right away! Woohoo!

HKr1
November 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM
We tried to buy a few older models, but they kept getting sold before we could get there. When we seen the spy shots of the new 08, we decided to wait for one. We talked to the dudes in the store(been in for yamaha parts) back in OCT07. They said were first on the list.......... I talked with them often, they kept saying two weeks. One Saturday in back FEB, me and the wife went for a drive & stopped in to see the status. Well they had one sitting there with "sold" $3980 now taking deposits. So I was like, whats with the price? (not even getting to - what happen to the list). They started yelling at me about set-up fee/crate fee, some other BS. Well, yell at me loose a customer ;) We headed out of there, went to a new to us Kawi dealer up north a bit. They had a bran new one sitting there without a tag, so I asked how much. They said 3499, I said sold! Salesman mentioned it was on the floor for two hours. He had called everybody on his list & nobody had showed up yet:) So it turned out to be a very nice Saturday drive, came home with a bran new bike for the wife < she named it "Marvin" :thumbup:

Alex
November 21st, 2008, 09:57 PM
...came home with a brand new bike for the wife < she named it "Marvin" :thumbup:

Sweet! I love Marvin! 63

:D

HKr1
November 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Sweet! I love Marvin! :D

Yeah it was classic. I was sitting in getting the paper work done on the bike. She came up and sat down, leaned over & whispered.... "Marvin is coming home: :)

kkim
November 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah it was classic. I was sitting in getting the paper work done on the bike. She came up and sat down, leaned over & whispered.... "Marvin is coming home: :)

lol... so, the "boss" has spoken.

seedanpaint
November 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
My purchase experience was awesome. The dealer I bought from met my price. It was a pleasant experience. They pretty much earned a lifetime customer and free advertising. Out all the dealerships and places I made big purchases from TopGear Motorsports here in Athens was one of the best!

zartan
November 30th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Mine was not the most fullfilling because my favorite dealer did the right thing and told me he might get cheesed out of the green on coming so I should get one where ever I could. I found one in another city. Paid about 400 more but wanted the green.

I was concerned because I did not know if I could lower it and touch. It was way too tall for me stock. NOT safe at all on just one foot tipped over.

My dealer was good enough to RUSH the night before and put a lowering link on the black one to see if I could go buy the green one. This was prior to kits coming out and we used a x10 dogbone.It fit perfectly and I went and picked up the green one. Then got my mod done at my fav dealer.

The dealer I bought it from - I went in the next day with my husband and the salesman didn't even say hi. whatever, he was too busy trying to sell another bike. Jerk it only takes one second to say hi. Not exactly relationship sales.

workdaddy
November 30th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Back in April My buddy showed me his Plasma Blue 2fitty.. I rode it and said Damn, I like this. Sold the Honda Ruckus 49rr scoot and the following day went down for a 35 min. drive. Walked in and said I was lookin for Dave, he said how can I help you. Told him I would like to take this black 2fitty (on the floor) home today... about 35-45 min later I was riding her home... $3874 OTD here in Utah.

Love the smaller Dealerships.... they are out to help you have fun, not really make money. :thumbup:

seedanpaint
November 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Back in April My buddy showed me his Plasma Blue 2fitty.. I rode it and said Damn, I like this. Sold the Honda Ruckus 49rr scoot and the following day went down for a 35 min. drive. Walked in and said I was lookin for Dave, he said how can I help you. Told him I would like to take this black 2fitty (on the floor) home today... about 35-45 min later I was riding her home... $3874 OTD here in Utah.

Love the smaller Dealerships.... they are out to help you have fun, not really make money. :thumbup:

I sold my Ruckus to get my Ninja too. The only time I miss the Ruckus is when I go the grocery store and can't haul back a ton of stuff. But I don't miss going slow!:D

workdaddy
November 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
*SNIPE*.. I don't miss going slow!:D

Yeah, that was the worst part of it. I rode it year round, some days going home after ten PM in 2-3" of snow/slush... Those lil tires were awesome. But like you said tooooo slow. I think the fastest I got was 47 down hill in tuck with tail wind. Average was about 37mph. Had alot of close calls from cagers, no power to stick and move if you will.

talldrink
December 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM
I had been riding a scooter (Genuine Black Cat) for a few months and decided to take the MSF course (what the heck - it's FREE). After riding the motorcycles there, I was hooked! I had to have a motorcycle so I started researching which bike is a good beginner bike and arrived at teh 250 as my choice. Unfortunately, I also learned that they are nearly impossible to find. :(

Anyway; I was searching my local craigslist for a used 250 when I saw an ad for an '09. I emailed the guy (who turned out to be a dealer) and picked it up that Saturday. The dealer told me later that I was the FIRST person to respond to the ad (he had placed it 45 mins - 1 hour) before I called. Several people also tried to get him to sell it from under me (offers of up to $6000).

So.............I've now had it for a few months. Unfortunately; I have no one to ride with or learn from which SUCKS!!!! I have less than 20 miles on it (parking lot practicing only) at this point but am anxiously awaiting the spring.

aloh
December 11th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I got mine used. It was a snap. Found an ad on craigslist for an 08 blue 250r, contacted the seller, made a deal, and he even delivered it to me. :D

k-os
December 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I was looking for a new bike, and was reading about the 250. Decided it was enough power for me, and the insurance quote was so much better than a 600 (around $500 a year rather than over $2000 for full coverage). I found a listing on Craigslist for a 2008 Candy Plasma 250 ($3100 around 8000 miles) and arranged with the seller to meet up. That same night I was browsing Craigslist again and found another '08 CP 250 ($3000 and 700 miles) and emailed the seller (the post was up for about 10 minutes). Luckily on our way down to Milwaukee (about 40 minutes away) the second seller called and I arranged with him to take a look at it. Checked out the first one, took it for a test ride at a mall parking lot. I really liked it, but still wanted to check out the other one, because it was cheaper and had a lot less miles. So I told the first seller I'd get back to him later that day. Went to the second seller. The bike looked great, other than a broken front right blinker that he already ordered a replacement for and a light scratch on the underside of the fairing. Told the second seller we had to check with insurance and make sure the quote they gave me was the final price. As we were driving home (about 5 minutes away from the sellers house) I told my dad that I had actually talked to a person from the insurance company that quoted $500 a year. He wasn't aware of that and they were still open, so we pulled over to the side of the road, called them, confirmed the price, and I then called the seller to see if he would accept some money down to reserve the bike for me. He said that would be awesome. He was so surprised his bike had been sold before even being on CL for 24 hours. About a week later my dad and I went back down to Milwaukee to get the bike. I didn't have the title transferred yet because he had to take care of the lien, but he was alright with us driving it back. Another week later he called and let me know that he got the replacement blinker and that he'd mail it to me. That was great news, but even better news was the call from my parent's insurance company telling them they could get me full coverage for $200 a year. Since the purchase I have received the paperwork for the lien release and have it registered in my name.

Cochese
December 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I ordered a 2008 in July from Boulder Power Sports. I got jerked around my the salesman I had for three months about when it would be in. Next, he tried to jerk me around on the price. I sold cars for a number of years and chewed them down a grand from the $500 over they wanted!

The salesman got fired and I didn't hear anything for three months. I got tired of waiting and called and screamed at the GSM. He told me there were no 2008's left and then learned I was demanding a black one. Then, he called me the next day and told me he dealer located a black one. Told me it would be there on Saturday. I went down with my wife and brought my jacket and helmet. He told me the price went up $500 because of the MSRP increase. I told him no deal. He told me he would take $250 back off. I told him I wanted gloves and a fender eliminator kit and oil change.

Deal.

Went out to take delivery and it wouldn't start. They put more fuel in and tried a few things but it wouldn't turn over. They kept it for three days and cleaned the carbs.

They called me and told me I could come pick it up between 2-4 P.M. I told them I didn't have a ride and asked for a courtesy shuttle to pick me up. They told me he was too busy to come get me.

I hung up and called back. Got the GSM on the phone.

The bike was delivered to my door in 45 minutes. :D

kkim
December 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Went out to take delivery and it wouldn't start. They put more fuel in and tried a few things but it wouldn't turn over. They kept it for three days and cleaned the carbs.

Strange... is yours a brand new bike or a used one?

Cochese
December 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Had two miles on it! Not sure how long it sat.
Posted via Mobile Device

CRXTrek
December 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I paid cash:D
1st bike in stock...:hellokitty:
2nd bike in stock...:sick:
3rd times the charm...:ninjaman: