View Full Version : Off to the dark side...

etiainen
December 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
So a tad unexpected for today but after getting my bike running, I decided to trade it in. I'd been planning to do so for a while, but I finally just went for it today...

My eye was on another 250 for commuting but this time to the dark side of Honda!:cool:

My first impressions were good bottom end torque and acceleration. Braking was so so but handling pretty good.

I think the absolute best parts are crisp fuel delivery thanks to EFI along with the fact it fits me just perfectly.

I will be posting more as I ride more and get out of the break-in period.

EDIT:

I also realise I'm an idiot and spelled 'to' incorrectly:/

saxnbass
December 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
There is something about the look of that bike that just.... not for me.

But grats, let us know how you like it as you have it for longer and get used to it and such.

etiainen
December 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Honestly, I very much preferred the look of my ninja over this. But after riding it, I can say I'm pretty pleased with what I've purchased. It really rides great and I think it'll work.

I also plan to do an honest every day riding comparison review to the ninjette. I rode my ninjette every day and put a decent amount of miles on it. I think it'd be something people could be interested in, since this is in direct competition with the kawi.

thurt88
December 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Looks great and I thought about it too since I really love my 600rr I figured Id just have a stable of Hondas and trade my kawi in for its counterpart.

The drawback is that Ive read Honda would be a weak choice for my commuting over the kawi because of the cbr's inadequacies on the highway. The lil kaw chugs along at 80+ perfect with my 250lb body. I don't think I could willingly trade that away.

The CBR 250 looks great tho and if my drives to work were not highway, id be on it too.

etiainen
December 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I'll try to verify the highway performance and post my observations. I've heard all sorts of things about highway performance. I am only 160lbs though.

I do go on a decent amount of highway rides, so I'll find out soon enough..lol

Another thing I'd have to say is even though I'm only 5'9'', I feel much much better fit wise on this than I did on the ninjette. I think it's the handlebar positioning. It just feels really good for my particular body. I've sat on all the current Kawi offerings and some others and I'd say this one fits me the absolute best out of everything I've sat on.

The ninjette was just slightly cramped for me.

LoD575
December 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Nothing wrong with the Honda. EFI delivers consistent performance and the single cylinder has torque on the bottom end.
Handling is comparable to the Ninja.

Every review I read about the Honda praised those characteristics.

Each bike has it's own pro's and con's.

I am not a fan of the styling, but that is me.

Congrats on the Honda.

Nemesis
December 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Congrats!

scotty
December 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Congrats! The honda is a very nice bike!

r311music
December 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I'm probably one of the few that actually like the style of the Honda 250.:thumbup: Definitely let us know how it rides compared to the kawi.

etiainen
December 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks everyone!

Yeah the EFI feels pretty amazing, warmed up sooooo fast, and delivered such good performance, I didn't wanna stop!

Tomorrow brings new adventures!!

I'll probably still post my ride reports here, I see there are some cbr forums out there, but I really love the community here! Even if I'm not a ninjette owner anymore:p

heylookitsfranco
December 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
forget the haters, i think the cbr looks good. looking forward to a more thorough comparison!

Dragone
December 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Congrats on the new ride. I am expecting your unbiased ride report for sure.

nickjpass
December 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Congratulations! Have fun with your new pretty motorcycle!!

etiainen
December 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
First commute to work this morning, and it was pretty good. First drawback was no easy place to put my ezpass:/ Just paid cash for toll today:(

Other than that I loved it, went on my normal bumpy roads and the suspension did a great job. Will hopefully get some more observations as I break it in.

I did get to > 60mph with ease, once I get this out on the interstate I will report.

greg737
December 21st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone!

Yeah the EFI feels pretty amazing, warmed up sooooo fast, and delivered such good performance, I didn't wanna stop!

I'm sure just about anything would seem to warm up fast compared to an EX-250. That's because the EX-250's cooling system is a lousy design. Besides not warming up quickly, it also is very bad about having big temperature variations across the engine (i.e. the engine block stays cold while the cyliner head gets hot).

Overall we know it works well enough because the EX-250's engine is very durable if you don't mistreat it, but the coolant flow control could definitely be improved.

That's why I installed a Thermo-Bob on my EX-250. Now it warms up fast, probably as fast as your new CB250R.

csmith12
December 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM
Nice! I almost bought the one I posted for sale a while back.

alex.s
December 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
:doh:

Cazper
December 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM
The only Honda I personally like is the Repsol edition 1000RR. But that's the great thing... we all have different tastes and as long as you like it that's all that matters. I've sat on the CBR 250R and just wasn't for me. Congrats on the new ride and good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

MustangGuy
December 22nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Looks nice! I do like the CBR250. I had posted some thoughts about it in a different thread - based only on what I've read and seen on the internet. Since you actually have one and previously had a ninjette, you can speak directly from experience. It seems like they are slightly different bikes overall, but more alike than not. Had I bought the CBR instead of my pre-gen (decided I wanted a used bike because I am a returning rider and knew I had a lot to learn), I'm sure I'd be lovin it too.... I probably wouldn't have been motivated to find this great site though - LOL! Happy trails!

MustangGuy
December 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Funny how things happen... right after I made the last post, I went to the local mall. There happened to be a CRB250 on display there. It looks very nice "in person"... fit and finish were top notch. I liked everything about it but the exhaust pipe... just my opinion though!

etiainen
December 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, i really like the finish and look of the bike. I had a blast riding today , already put 130 miles on it:)
Posted via Mobile Device

etiainen
December 23rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
First real test of the cbr last night. Took a ride out to Victory Brewpub in Downingtown(for those of you that are local to the Philly area) with my roommate. Stopped for gas and was surprised to see the design of the gas tank. The entire cap and lock comes completely off, instead of the hinge design on the ninjette. I guess I'm spoiled with the hinge design. The second annoyance was a metal bar in the opening which prevents from putting the nozzle deeper into the tank, which made it really hard to not spill gas on the tank. Other than that, I got caught in a pretty big rainstorm on the way over and back:/ But I made it and the CBR did a pretty damn good job. My roommate said that he was much comfier riding passenger on the CBR than on the ninjette.

etiainen
May 16th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Wanted to update with some pics of the new luggage rack and 46L top case I threw on.

5200 miles on it now.:)

https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~jam436/kappa/IMG_1947.jpg

https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~jam436/kappa/IMG_1949.jpg

https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~jam436/kappa/IMG_1951.jpg

Amazing commuter bike.

I've done 91.5 MPG while trying really hard.:p

60-70 MPG most of the time.

Rode it to Georgia and back. I did 13 hours on the highway no problem.

LoD575
May 16th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Glad to see the CBR treating you well.