View Full Version : Blue Duct Tape (a.k.a. I dropped it)

David Martin
January 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
I was just about to post in the new member area when I saw this category.

I am new to riding so I bought a 2010 ninja 250r in blue. about 5 days after i got her, I finally saw a use for that Blue duct tape they sell at the Home Depot.

So the story goes like this. I was coming home from a short ride and the ground was slightly damp (read very wet), so i pull in my driveway and promptly skid to a halt from 4mph after hitting a puddle. :(
The bike is fine except where the turn signal popped through the fairing. I am alright as well.

I now have 5100 miles on the bike 600 of them mine and I have had my bike 2 weeks.

csmith12
January 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Welcome David,

Sorry to hear about your need of blue duct tape. Glad you were not hurt, best wishes and safe travels in your continued riding.

cuz
January 3rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
hello & welcome :)

well it lest nothing more happened:(

alex.s
January 3rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
dont worry. driveway falls are common for some people

MotoED
January 3rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
sad to see that you dropped you bike.. but glad youre ok.
she can be brought back to beauty :thumbup:

MustangGuy
January 4th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Glad you are ok and the damage was minimal! I always feel like I'm at the greatest risk of dropping my bike in the driveway too. Every time I come off the road into the driveway it's like practicing an emergency stop! I skidded in a wet parking lot at a pretty slow speed years ago and it ended in a spectacular flip over a railroad tie... bike and rider ended up muddy but ok... rider learned a good lesson!

David Martin
January 4th, 2012, 07:33 AM
My thoughts are, If no one is hurt then everything else can be fixed.
I have learned my lesson about wet driveways now.

coondog
January 13th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Duct tape is grey and the real stuff is expensive, well worth it however. Blue tape is painters tape, it comes right off when you're done spraying. Only use blue for short term, and it's expensive as well for the real stuff (American made like the duct). First thing I was told to do with my new 05 back then was to get flushmounts from "Keith in Asia" on ninja250.org. Glad I did as blinkers go first, cost $100 per, and worse of all punch holes in $220 bare half fairings. Sorry, but you now stand with so many more of us.

David Martin
January 13th, 2012, 09:27 AM
???

http://duckbrand.com/Products/duck-tape/color-duck-tape.aspx?IDH=527267

This is the stuff I used. I'm sure this is not painters tape (it's sticky as H*!!)
The flushmount idea is great! :)

massacremasses
January 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
yeah thats duck tape

Trailerboy531
January 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM

:rofl:

ninja250
January 14th, 2012, 08:07 PM
^Did I miss something?

It's easy to drop in the driveway.

That's when you least expect you will drop it.

Just like how most crashes are right when you're starting out or closest to home. When you least expect them.

When I crashed I was three miles from home haulin azz not expecting anything to go wrong. Almost home.. BAM! Who put that guard rail in the turn I've taken 1000 times?

ninja250
January 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
See dent in tank?
Drop in garage. :rolleyes:
That was a very expensive limited edition tank.
They had no pearlized purple duct tape to cover my mistake.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/newfairing001.jpg
Life's a bowl of lessons.

I think all my dumb stupid bike mistakes were drops in around or close to home. When I least expected them.

When I dropped my 99 gsxr on my ankle I was 2 miles away from home at a stop sign.

Zombiphone
January 15th, 2012, 08:19 PM

:pound:

Alright, alright, I guess even YOU are funny sometimes, Alex :lol:

akima
January 16th, 2012, 12:15 PM

Saying no names obviously :rolleyes:

:p