View Full Version : Mastering tight figure 8's before upgrading.

squaregamer476
January 9th, 2012, 02:00 AM
i was just wondering if everyone who upgrades mastered their figure 8s before

upgrading to a bigger bike. :)

Mountain Dew
January 9th, 2012, 02:52 AM
5mph knee down, of course!

alex.s
January 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM
master everything on the bike before upgrading. its a hell of a lot easier getting good on a 250 than it is a 600 or 1000

saxnbass
January 9th, 2012, 10:37 AM

Video! I demand proof! :D

Mountain Dew
January 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Video! I demand proof! :D

Is it even possible? At 5mph you're turning the wheel, rather than counter-steering.

saxnbass
January 9th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Is it even possible? At 5mph you're turning the wheel, rather than counter-steering.

Hey, you're the one that made the claim, not me. :D:p

alex.s
January 9th, 2012, 12:49 PM

still counter-steering at 5mph whether you believe it or not.

the problem with knee down at 5 mph is that your gyros (wheels) arent generating much force to keep you upright which is why a lot of people find it easier to counter-lean at slow speed. take a look at those hardcore gymkana bikers. bike is fully leaned over scrapping at about 5-10 mph but the rider is straight up and down or even opposed to the bike.

illrational
January 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
eights and zeros

Firehorse
January 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Won't be upgrading until I can make the bike walk and talk.

Unless of course something pretty falls into my lap. Came this close to buying a Yamaha R6 track bike a week ago. Was almost finalized until the price of getting it streetworthy enough to practice on came up..:eek:
Not going to waste my first track day on a bike I've never ridden before.

And a larger cc bike isn't necessarily an UPgrade except in insurance and gas. Different kettle of fish. I'll buy other bikes but the Ninja is not going anywhere. Ever.

ninja250
January 15th, 2012, 08:05 PM
That's the easy way to do it. I can do it and it's perfectly possible.
But it's not legal to the examiner in the lolipop course.
Getting your ninja and a 600 SS through a figure eight is two entirely different things.
If you think you can master it on the ninja first and then upgrade and already be a master at turning your 600 or better, think again.

Master anything before upgrading and have to remaster it again on the new bike. Simple as that.
Two entirely different flavors of cake.
AMHIK
I currently own both a 750 and a 250 and practice this every day.

Sure, I can u-turn the gsxr on a dime. But not nearly as fast as the 250 or as easily.
250 U-turns on less than a dime and much easier.

Besides the higher insurance costs and operating costs, you also get higher thrills.
Totally worth it.

Flying Pig
January 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Yes, it's possible. I have a friend with balls big enough to do it in an open parking lot.

And yes, you still countersteer. ;)

Cazper
January 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I was gonna say I've seen Casey (ninja250) do 5mph knee down donuts... I am not that talented. I'd say do what you like... but as mentioned just because you master it on this bike isn't going to mean you're done mastering skills :thumbup:

csmith12
January 17th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I will be the odd man out here. I didn't master figure 8's before upgrading. I upgraded simply because a great deal on a 600 was put in front of me. I still ride my 250 just as often as my R6.

Speaking of mastering skills... Do any of us truly and completely master a skill? There are so many variables to riding no matter if it's the slow or fast stuff. One day your great, the next day maybe you'll make a little mistake. Sure your riding skill set is a great indicator that you may be ready to upgrade but it should not be the sole factor. And as Alex.s stated, different bikes have different handling characteristics.

Upgrade when your "comfortable" as a responsible rider, financially ready, accepted the additional risks, and confident enough in your riding skill set to handle such a machine.