View Full Version : Aloha, all!

kkim
November 11th, 2008, 04:17 AM
New to the site. Just thought I'd post some pics of the ride. :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SO7MEkuMRSI/AAAAAAAABMQ/y4eZSDJQodU/s640/IMG_0230.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SO7L0TAmGUI/AAAAAAAABLo/85Uzd2vZqIs/s640/IMG_0225.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SO7MJnCuxQI/AAAAAAAABMg/GUabHtPRlWQ/s576/IMG_0228b.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SO7LRUmiNGI/AAAAAAAABKM/dQobx5Cph0c/s640/IMG_0214.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SQoZGtO11eI/AAAAAAAABo8/dtBNeO4z-3U/s640/DSC04758-1.JPG

BlueTyke
November 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Very nice!! Now get out there and show us some of those Hawaiian Roads (I wouldn't mind a shot or two of the locals either... ;) )

Alex
November 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Like the polished rims! :thumbup:

247Blackout
November 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
:bow: Nice bike. I've always liked the license plates over there too!

kkim
November 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Thank you for your comments. :)

Sunny, you'll just have to make it out here one day to check out the locals on your own. ;) Just don't get off the plane when you fly from MD to cali and you'll most likely end up here. Bring sunblock and a smile... swimsuits/bikinis... optional. :D

Sailariel
November 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Kelly, How did you go about polishing those rims? I had thought of going the chromed route, but that would add a bit of unsprung weight. I notice that the centres are black. Definitely looks nice. I plan to cut my rear mudguard and relocate the turn signals on either side of the lisence plate bracket. Should be a good winter project.

kkim
November 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Alex.

Hope Alex doesn't mind... here's a link to the process I used. Good winter project, but I used a lot of water to clean off the residue. Hope you have a nice heated garage to work in. :)

Link to external site (http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=119816)

Kelly

Alex
November 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hope Alex doesn't mind... here's a link to the process I used.

Not at all! But as penance you need to recruit 3 new folks to ninjette.org. :eek: :D

kkim
November 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Not at all! But as penance you need to recruit 3 new folks to ninjette.org. :eek: :D
damned pyramid schemes... :mad:

okay... I'll get busy. :thumbup:

noche_caliente
November 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Woo hoo! Kkim's getting busy! Recruit #1, reporting for duty :)

kkim
November 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Woo hoo! Kkim's getting busy! Recruit #1, reporting for duty :)
Welcome.:D Good to see you over here and hope the trend will continue.

mahalo.
:)

vonbeezy
November 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Well Kkim's siggy advertising worked for me :) !

kkim
November 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
lol... mahalo for signing up... wasn't sure if anyone would see the link in my sig. :)

Alex
November 18th, 2008, 12:00 AM

Welcome! Kkim - thanks for the sig link! :thumbup:

ninjabrewer
November 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Here's another one. intro also.

Name is Chris, 42, am new to motorcycling, but not to cycling. I used to ride road bikes (bicycles) years ago, and believe it or not, some skills does cross over. I have a '08 Ninja 250, in the shop right now getting front wheel bearings replaced, got licensed last week and took the MSF course 2 weeks before that. I, like kkim, am located in Hawaii, but on Oahu instead of Kauai. I am in the Army, 20 yrs last month and will be retiring soon. Married 17 yrs, have 1 daughter, 16, and I currently looking for a job that will allow me and my family to stay in Hawaii at least till the little lady graduates from HS and gets started in College. I am also on the Kawiforum and Kawasakiforum as the same name. So you may see me posting there also.

As a side note, I got started in this as a way to save money on gas, and to get ready for my mid life crisis, which I am sure is around the corner somewhere.

Later

nb.

NJD022588
November 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I've also been recruited by kkim.

Look forward to meeting some new people here!

kkim
November 21st, 2008, 01:22 AM
Aloha, Nick. Glad you could make it. I'm sure you'll find something interesting in here to sit down with, participate in and provide some feedback.

Mahalo for signing up.
:)

Sailariel
November 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Here on the Maine coast we have a great deal of salt air--as I am sure you do in Hawaii. Spoke to my friend who does plating and he suggested getting the wheels anodized. He said that after a while the unprotected aluminum interacts with the tyre bead and begins to break down--which is why Kawa chose to powder coat their wheels. Anodizing would give the entire wheel a gray shiny finish. Green accent tape applied to the rims would really make them stand out. He also said that anodized aluminum responds well to waxing. I really like the polished and black look. I guess I`ll have to give it all some thought. The other alternative would be Chrome plating.

kkim
November 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Alex,

When I stripped the paint from the wheels, I didn't remove the tires, so there is paint right from where the tire touches the rim.

As for protecting the bare aluminum, your friend is right. It does take a bit more work to keep them nice and shiny, but all it takes is some aluminum wheel polish, which they sell for auto wheels, then a covering of your favorite wax to seal the air from getting to the aluminum surface. Instead of wax, I use a product called Rejex, which is used in the aircraft industry specifically designed for corrosion protection.

If you like the look, go for it... I have not regrets here. :)

aloha from sunny hawaii. :cool:

Sailariel
November 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Kelly, I thnk that I will go for the anodization and then put on the green tape. I can always, at a later date, use some two part epoxy and paint the spokes and hub black. Chrome would look great but would add unsprung weight. I am waiting for a response from my sister as to what an FI system would cost. I think that an FI system with a Power Commander module would make quite a difference. I have no data on how the European models perform.

noche_caliente
November 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
alex, I can't say uch about the wheels or FI, but here's some data on the EFI
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=116160&highlight=dyno

hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting the link!:o

HKr1
November 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM

Ah Ha! So thats what happened :peep:

kkim
November 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Ah Ha! So thats what happened :peep:

lol... what are you... a private detective in real life? :D

truth is... I found this site while surfing for new forums, really liked it and wanted to share it with people I have grown to consider friends... those that would improve it, make it a gathering place to maturely discuss topics and not tear each other down to win their point. I got that feeling from this site from the very beginning. :cool:

welcome, Kerry! :)

HKr1
November 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
lol... what are you... a private detective in real life? :D

truth is... I found this site while surfing for new forums, really liked it and wanted to share it with people I have grown to consider friends... those that would improve it, make it a gathering place to maturely discuss topics and not tear each other down to win their point. I got that feeling from this site from the very beginning. :cool:

welcome, Kerry! :)

Hey, how did you know! Mom named me after some comic strip detective Kerry Drake. Pretty cool looking site, thanks for pointing us in this direction.

Your bike is looking really sweet after all the mods :thumbup::thumbup:

Alex
November 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting the link!:o

Not at all! (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=9984&postcount=8) :D :thumbup:

kkim
November 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Not at all! (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=9984&postcount=8) :D :thumbup:

:lol:

Sailariel
December 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Kelly, Got a dumb Question. What was you rationale for lowering the front end?

kkim
December 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Kelly, Got a dumb Question. What was you rationale for lowering the front end?

Hi Alex.. not dumb at all. It was to steepen the head angle so the bike would react/turn quicker in corners.

Sailariel
December 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Kelly, Thanks, makes sense--changes the geometry. I do the same thing on my custom bikes--change the fork angle to 71mm for more agility. I pefer 72mm and work my corners with a bit more countersteer. Will have to experiment with the Ninja. So far I like the handeling--as I get more used to the machine, I may decide to experiment.

kkim
December 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Kelly, Thanks, makes sense--changes the geometry. I do the same thing on my custom bikes--change the fork angle to 71mm for more agility. I pefer 72mm and work my corners with a bit more countersteer. Will have to experiment with the Ninja. So far I like the handeling--as I get more used to the machine, I may decide to experiment.

The stock bike is set up very conservatively to appeal to the beginner rider. With the blocks up front, you can vary how much you can drop the front fork tubes which will in turn vary the head angle. I have it dropped as much as it can go right now. It worked well with the stock tires, but with the change to the bt090s, the back tire is a bit taller than the stock rear, so the head is even steeper still. I'm thinking of raising the front end back up by about 1/2 as much as it is now to experiment.

Reddoak
December 11th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Another recruit Kelly dragged kicking and screaming... Not really. I didn't kick.

To bad I'm not in Hawaii, I could park my red 250 next to yours and make Christmas cards from the pictures. Time for a bit of PS work....

kkim
December 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Another recruit Kelly dragged kicking and screaming... Not really. I didn't kick.

To bad I'm not in Hawaii, I could park my red 250 next to yours and make Christmas cards from the pictures. Time for a bit of PS work....

Welcome, Bill! Good to see you here.:)

Reddoak
December 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Glad I could make it, other sites can be a bit.... jarring at times.

kkim
December 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Glad I could make it, other sites can be a bit.... jarring at times.

that's being kind. :)

Syphen
December 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Kelly, your bike looks awesome. I like the polished lips. Did you do it by hand? How long did it take?

kkim
December 19th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Kelly, your bike looks awesome. I like the polished lips. Did you do it by hand? How long did it take?

Thanks. :)

DIY, here... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10239

I suggest checking out the DIY thread we have in the new gen forum for other great "fun" projects :lol:... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586