View Full Version : Ummm....bike sold...

Socal5646
January 16th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Well...again...I got bored and put my bike on CL with a ridiculous number and....IT SOLD! I say "again" cause the same thing happened to my pregen! What a great hobby...two bikes bought/ridden/modded/& sold with a grand total of $1700 profit! LOL.

Have my eye on an 07 636 that I'm sure I can flip easy...hopefully it'll be fun to ride aswell:thumbup:

csmith12
January 16th, 2012, 08:26 AM
gratz and good luck

choneofakind
January 16th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Dude that's not cool :mad:

1) i'm jealous... I could use $1700
2) I search craigslist for a fair price and I keep seeing bikes for ridonculous prices that all I can think is, "how does that person expect to sell that bike for that??"

massacremasses
January 16th, 2012, 12:43 PM
what did you put it up for? Im wondering what I could sell mine for when its done... Torn though I love my little baby.

Socal5646
January 16th, 2012, 12:49 PM
There's a 07 pregen with 75 miles and temporary plates still on that I may pick up...didn't want to go carbureted but this would be an easy resell...

I had a 650r...

r311music
January 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM
There's a 07 pregen with 75 miles and temporary plates still on that I may pick up...didn't want to go carbureted but this would be an easy resell...

I had a 650r...

I guess I should move to socal before I sell my bike. I'll lose a fair amount if I sell it anytime soon here. What did you get for it?

ninja250
January 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Don't try and resell a bike in SoCal.
Lowball city.

Lots of bikes around here. He'll go down the street and buy the next guys bike.
I'd rather be one of the few ninjas listed in my area than one of the 40.

Resale value isn't so good on anything anymore accept a suzuki with no marks on it.
You guys gotta start planning to buy to keep now days.

Bought my last GSXR for $4000 put 1k into it then sold it for $2500 just to get rid of it so I didn't have to sit on it for months on craigslist at $4000
Hate sitting there waiting weeks for tons of people to come by and look at it.
Dealing with kids and their mommies and people trying to screw you out of your own bike you already cut down for sale.

Go to some nice backroads town and sell it to a good honest farmboy or something. haha.

choneofakind
January 16th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Socal5646 if that new pre-gen is a good deal, go with the ecotrons EFI kit, and then use that to your advantage to sell it if you're really looking at trying to flip it for profit

People who are new to 250's but seem to hate the carbs are going to be willing to pay more than the cost of the EFI kit to buy the bike from you, just because they hate carbs for some silly reason. You could easily turn $500 on that.

Jiggles
January 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Socal5646 if that new pre-gen is a good deal, go with the ecotrons EFI kit, and then use that to your advantage to sell it if you're really looking at trying to flip it for profit

People who are new to 250's but seem to hate the carbs are going to be willing to pay more than the cost of the EFI kit to buy the bike from you, just because they hate carbs for some silly reason. You could easily turn $500 on that.

I bought my 07 pregen with 9k miles for $1900. I then posted it on Craigs list for $3000 and stated it had been converted to EFI. Lowest offer I got was $2700 Highest offer I got was $2900.

choneofakind
January 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
that sounds like a pretty good turn around :thumbup: are you seriously considering selling Jiggles or are you just posting on CL for research purposes?

I got my '99 for $1600 with 6300 miles on it in mint condition. Seller just wanted to get the bike out of her garage into a new home where it would be ridden :cool: Now it's got over 14k miles and from looking at CL in my area, I would be lucky to sell it for what I bought it for. I would probably post it at $1,900 and go down as far as $1,400 if I thought that it would be taken care of by whoever was trying to buy it though...

There's lots of 250's in my area on CL. Some in good condition, some not. Some are priced to sell, others aren't. It's kinda hard to say how much I could get for my bike, which is good because it keeps me from getting the upgrading itch...

massacremasses
January 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
yeah I think it depends where you live... good luck finding a newgen FS in this county... Even In sacramento, all youre going to find is beat up GSXR's lol

choneofakind
January 16th, 2012, 02:36 PM
There's tons of brand new 250's in my area on CL with <1000 miles for only $500 less than what the owner payed OTD at the dealership. It's kinda stupid IMHO. Actually the local dealership has a pair of '08s for about $3,200 with about 6,000 miles on them. I was tempted to see if I could talk them down to 2,500 and trade mine in for like $1,200, but decided that would just make me spend more on modding the new one more...

massacremasses
January 16th, 2012, 02:45 PM
wow I got mine for 2500 and it had cosmetic damage.. others with slightly less cosmetic damage were still going for like 3500. no joke.

Jiggles
January 16th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Haha no I'm not selling I was just curious what EFI would do to the market value of my bike

Kevin2109
January 16th, 2012, 06:49 PM
They dont make a 07 636... just saying

Socal5646
January 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM
You're right....it's an 06

choneofakind
January 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Jumper mod? :D free hp

iceknyght
January 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM
wow I got mine for 2500 and it had cosmetic damage.. others with slightly less cosmetic damage were still going for like 3500. no joke.

That's what I was going through when I was looking too. I finally got my '09 for $3200, but it had less than 2k miles and was still in stock condition... Other than a scrape on the left fender, it was in great condition! The funny thing was that I actually posted an ad in the WTB section and the guy I bought the bike from actually contacted me! LOL!

I still look on CL from time to time (usually for people selling aftermarket parts), and if it's an '08+ in good condition, you're looking at $3200 to over $5000!! If it has a bit of mileage on it or has some damage, you're still looking at around $2500-ish...

massacremasses
January 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM
That's what I was going through when I was looking too. I finally got my '09 for $3200, but it had less than 2k miles and was still in stock condition... Other than a scrape on the left fender, it was in great condition! The funny thing was that I actually posted an ad in the WTB section and the guy I bought the bike from actually contacted me! LOL!

I still look on CL from time to time (usually for people selling aftermarket parts), and if it's an '08+ in good condition, you're looking at $3200 to over $5000!! If it has a bit of mileage on it or has some damage, you're still looking at around $2500-ish...

yeah thats on the lowish side to man.

Average for a stock newgen up here I would say is $3800 never cheaper then 3500

iceknyght
January 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
yeah thats on the lowish side to man.

Average for a stock newgen up here I would say is $3800 never cheaper then 3500

Sounds about right... I was checking ALL the areas from the Bay Area to Chico and down to Fresno when I was looking! Most of the other bikes I found in the $3200 range needed some sort of work! So, I am quite happy with what I got, comparatively! ;)

Kevin2109
January 17th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Jumper mod? :D free hp

That, gut the headers, and heat wrap the exhaust :thumbup:

choneofakind
January 17th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Does heat wrapping the exhaust really make a difference? I've only read that it shouldn't be done to bikes because it just makes pipes rust faster :confused:

I still need to take off my headers and paint them with some >2000 degree F flat black ceramic paint. They're flaking and discolored. :(

massacremasses
January 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Sounds about right... I was checking ALL the areas from the Bay Area to Chico and down to Fresno when I was looking! Most of the other bikes I found in the $3200 range needed some sort of work! So, I am quite happy with what I got, comparatively! ;)

shoot even pregens are like 3k around here....

iceknyght
January 17th, 2012, 07:25 PM
shoot even pregens are like 3k around here....

They're a little lower over here... But the crazy thing is if you look for a 650, you can find decent ones for around $4k... I *almost* bought a 650 instead of the 250 because of that...

Kevin2109
January 17th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Does heat wrapping the exhaust really make a difference? I've only read that it shouldn't be done to bikes because it just makes pipes rust faster :confused:

I still need to take off my headers and paint them with some >2000 degree F flat black ceramic paint. They're flaking and discolored. :(

From the zx6r forum

Wrapping your motorcycle's exhaust system with a heat-retaining fiberglass wrap can improve your motorcycle's appearance and performance with a minimal investment. Looking similar to a fabric bandage, the insulating fiberglass band is wound around the exhaust's header pipes to hide embarrassing blemishes and dings. The wrap also serves to trap heat within the exhaust, helping the spent exhaust gases flow smoothly to the muffler's outlet. The headers will need to be removed for this task, making some technical skill mandatory.

thats straight off google. if you have undertail exhaust you can also wrap the mid pipe to keep temps down around your legs/ass area. but i have full akra with no heat shielding(dont ask lol, lets just say install didnt go as planned) and i really dont notice it.

And for the rusting, you can coat them first in high heat paint, and if it doesnt rain much its not a problem

choneofakind
January 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM
So if I coated my pipes first with this (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=426681&postcount=1444) and then wrapped them and painted them with the same stuff like this:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/Cab305/photo-8-1.jpg
to seal the wrap from rain water, that should be alright? (that image was used from the next post in the same thread as the post that I used up there)

I want them to look better, and I don't want to worry about rust. I'll sand them so that the flaking is off before I paint them first too...

Kevin2109
January 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
So if I coated my pipes first with this (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=426681&postcount=1444) and then wrapped them and painted them with the same stuff like this:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/Cab305/photo-8-1.jpg
to seal the wrap from rain water, that should be alright? (that image was used from the next post in the same thread as the post that I used up there)

I want them to look better, and I don't want to worry about rust. I'll sand them so that the flaking is off before I paint them first too...

ummm, dont think painting the wrap is a good idea :confused:

If your going to do it, get the nice stuff

http://www.motorsports247.com/product/dei/titanium-exhaust-wrap-2x50

choneofakind
January 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM
That stuff looks great!

Kevin2109
February 24th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Oh btw

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1453/40087528818524790638610.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/40087528818524790638610.jpg/)

choneofakind
February 25th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Ohhh shiny! :) I'm debating on whether to do that to my pipes, paint them in high temp header paint, or header paint then wrap. Whatever, if I get around to that, it wont be until this summer. Thanks for the update pictures kevin