View Full Version : Video of my 0mph "crash"

EthioKnight
January 19th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Howdy guys/gals,
I have been debating with myself about posting this video to my youtube channel because of the "shame" factor, but I said 'to hell' with it today and uploaded it. Some disclaimers: I am a beginner vlogger and in my vlogs I speak in a different tongue, an obscure language called 'Amharic', to cater to my people, Ethiopians. Well, if you'll bare with what will surely sound like "bird talk", you'll see me fall together with my bike after a 'simple stop turned wrong'.
The reason for my fall = lack of concentration (due to vlogging) + misaligned handlebar + sloped ground causing me to lose my footing.

P.S. Please excuse my generous use of the F word...I'm sure y'all will understand how the circumstance called for repeated usage of that word ;).
P.P.S. I start falling about 02:24.
Enjoy.

ATVIUVcXDOw

NDspd
January 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM
atleast there was nothing damaged too much, just your ego. Glad you're ok man.

nickjpass
January 19th, 2012, 08:37 PM
You speak English well! Sorry about your fall :(

EthioKnight
January 19th, 2012, 08:43 PM
tnx guys. The bike, to my surprise, wasn't touched at all and since no one was around to witness my fall, you could say I escaped with my ego unscathed :)
As to my English...if you're basing your approval on my prodigious use of the F word, then yeah, I speak English fluently! lol.
tnx again for watching guys.

nickjpass
January 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I mostly based it on your writing, but you definitely know how to say the F-word correctly!

EthioKnight
January 19th, 2012, 08:51 PM
lol...if only writing English well translated to fluency in the speech..ahh.
Damn you native speakers!

nickjpass
January 19th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Translating gets annoying.

Nemesis
January 19th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Gad dammit!!! Fack!!! Shiet!!! Aww Fack!!!

Sorry...I :lol:'d

Glad you're okay though. Betcha you'll never forget the adrenaline running through your body. :)

EthioKnight
January 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Forget the adrenaline...the whole left half of my back was immobilized for a week following the incident, and I have the adrenaline to blame for that. Next time I fall, hopefully never, I'm going to relax, take some deep breaths and use the 'butt cheeks to the seat and lift with your feet' technique to pick it up. lesson learned.

Kevin2109
January 20th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Did you film it with a potato?

akima
January 20th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Forget the adrenaline...the whole left half of my back was immobilized for a week following the incident, and I have the adrenaline to blame for that. Next time I fall, hopefully never, I'm going to relax, take some deep breaths and use the 'butt cheeks to the seat and lift with your feet' technique to pick it up. lesson learned.

When I watched the video I knew you had adrenalin pumping through you! I had the same thing happen when I had an accident. I too lifted my bike up the same way as you did and for almost 3 whole days afterwards I could [literally] barely lift a pair of shoes because my arms felt so weak!

I bet you're over the little scrapes. Most people here say that they add "character" to the bike :p

Nemesis
January 20th, 2012, 02:19 PM
There's another way to lift the motorcycle off the ground and this is the method I have always used lifting my 400+ lbs 600RR...and that's to turn the handlebars inward/towards the ground.

For example, if the bike's on the left side, turn the handlebars left like you're counter steering to go right but push/turn all the way till the handlebars lock. This will cause the front to lift off the ground a few inches which you can tend just push the bike upwards with your thigh.

I'll see if I can find a vid or pics to demonstrate.

EthioKnight
January 20th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Did you film it with a potato?

I was dreading this, a comment about my cam :eek:. Like I said I'm just beginning to vlog and I'm not even sure I'll continue, so I thought I'll just get a cheapo pocket spy cam (md-80) from china and it's worked great so far, bar the quality of course.

Nemesis, that's interesting, use the front tire as leverage...hmm...there's probably a reason why it's not the textbook method though ;)

Nemesis
January 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Nemesis, that's interesting, use the front tire as leverage...hmm...there's probably a reason why it's not the textbook method though ;)

Actually it is...the method you speak of are for HD riders. :p

mustang5.0
January 21st, 2012, 08:59 PM
thanks for posting.. i to have drop the ninja going 0mph... lost footing on an uneven road

Mr.E
January 27th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Alex, but I could have sworn I just read somewhere that you had just recently started riding yourself. I'm not too sure how recent, and I really dont have much room to talk since I'll vlogg sometimes, but perhaps being off cam for a month or two more is a good thing. By then, hopefully everything will be muscle memorized, meaning when you come to a stop you dont really have to think about it, you just do it and automatically align your handlebars lol.

Im sorry for your fall, but Im glad the bike is ok and that it wasnt worse. Also, it looks like you picked up the bike while still "on" it. That musta been really hard lol. Superman mode kicked in. lol

EthioKnight
January 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM
You got that right Eric...I just blew out a single candle a couple of days ago to commemorate my first month riding, and in hindsight, I should have learned to ride before I started vlogging about riding lol. I guess my 6 months riding experience on my scooter prior to the ninjette, my successful completion of the MSF coarse and the open and unclaimed title of "The World's First Ethiopian Motorcycle Vlogger" made me take up vlogging a bit too soon ;)
I've learned my lesson though, you can be sure of that. As to my display of 'super human strength', what can I say? lol I was literally shaking with adrenaline!

Miles_Prower
August 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Pulling up an old thread..it's almost weird looking back on these. Like if I post this message, i'll be expecting he'll respond!

At least we have some great videos to remember, filmed by potatoes.

Jiggles
August 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Haha I remember this. Dropped like a n00b! :p

hybridkid
August 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Pulling up an old thread..it's almost weird looking back on these. Like if I post this message, i'll be expecting he'll respond!

At least we have some great videos to remember, filmed by potatoes.

Hilarious video - Still laughing. Will definitely miss his contributions

codythomashunsberger
August 22nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
What do you use to film from your helmet? Is it a Go Pro or something else?

Jiggles
August 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
^ How weird would it be if he answered

codythomashunsberger
August 22nd, 2012, 10:40 PM
Welp, that was probably the stupidest first post in the history of the internet.

Great first impression to make. My bad.

cuong-nutz
August 23rd, 2012, 12:43 AM
Welp, that was probably the stupidest first post in the history of the internet.

Great first impression to make. My bad.
It's ok. Alex used a mini dv80 or something like that. I think he puts it in the video and on the YouTube description.

He will be missed.. I wonder when his parents will be watching these videos...

alex.s
August 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
awww. :(