View Full Version : Had a flat and dropped my bike.

kyrider
January 24th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Took a lil ride this afternoon and felt the bike weaving some but it was windy and the feeling I thought was coming from the front of my bike. I stopped at Hwy 127 and then as I crossed the bike just spun and slid under me right in the middle of 127. I jumped up and raised my bike and pushed her across the road where luckily a co-worker was getting gas. We loaded the bike by backing into a bank with his truck and he brought me home. This is the tire that I had plugged last summer. This could have been worse I know. Bike was not hurt nor was I.

csmith12
January 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
:(

Time for a new tire!

kyrider
January 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Time for a new tire!

Yes!

Looking at them now....suggestions?

akima
January 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Poor pre-gen. Glad you're ok.

csmith12
January 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Pirelli sport demons are all I have experience with on a pre-gen. They are fine on the old backroads of KY. I haven't looked at tires in over 2.5 years for them. Not sure what is new or preferred.

alex.s
January 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
sucks bro. plugs are scary.
http://i.imgur.com/HfTZq.jpg

kyrider
January 24th, 2012, 06:05 PM
sucks bro. plugs are scary.
http://i.imgur.com/HfTZq.jpg

I should have replaced the tire even though the guy who put the plug in said it woud be fine. I have not looked at it yet I may have picked up something else. Next time I feel a wobble I will pull over and fully inspect my bike.

EthioKnight
January 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't put plugs on a motorcycle, period. Plugs on a car? sure, but on a bike...we already face too many hazards as it is.
Sorry this had to happen to you bro, get some new rubbers (or used ones if you're a cheapo like me ;)) and get back on da saddle!

choneofakind
January 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Suggestions for pre-gen front tires.

Not a BT45 on the front. The tread pattern is so complex that they've scalloped like mad when ridden hard. I love them for sticking like glue, but they went from awesome to uselessly scalloped in like 1.5k miles.

My other quelms with the BT45's (and I suspect the Sport Demons would have the same complaints from me) are that the 90 profile tire means slower acceleration, and they weigh more than the oem tires, so that flickiness is hindered just a little. just a little. If you mind the skinnyness of the tires, the SD's and BT45's are technically 138mm wide (even though they say 130) and are noticeable when next to another 250. Just sayin.

I've heard really great things about the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires in stock sizes. I've heard they stick like glue, and wear evenly, albeit a little quickly, which is why that will be the next tire I go for. Besides, even if I only get 5k out of the rear, it's just over half the price for a 130/90-16 BT45 rear, sooooooo that's not a concern for me really.

Mountain Dew
January 24th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Time for a new tire!

Time for a new tire? It was time for a new tire a year ago.

NDspd
January 24th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Ouch man, sorry to here that.

kyrider
January 25th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Suggestions for pre-gen front tires.

Not a BT45 on the front. The tread pattern is so complex that they've scalloped like mad when ridden hard. I love them for sticking like glue, but they went from awesome to uselessly scalloped in like 1.5k miles.

My other quelms with the BT45's (and I suspect the Sport Demons would have the same complaints from me) are that the 90 profile tire means slower acceleration, and they weigh more than the oem tires, so that flickiness is hindered just a little. just a little. If you mind the skinnyness of the tires, the SD's and BT45's are technically 138mm wide (even though they say 130) and are noticeable when next to another 250. Just sayin.

I've heard really great things about the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires in stock sizes. I've heard they stick like glue, and wear evenly, albeit a little quickly, which is why that will be the next tire I go for. Besides, even if I only get 5k out of the rear, it's just over half the price for a 130/90-16 BT45 rear, sooooooo that's not a concern for me really.

Thanks for the detail!

I have quick access to some sport demons if they have my size.

choneofakind
January 25th, 2012, 08:00 AM
If you like them go for it. I've also heard good things about how they handle and wear evenly. I just want smaller profile tires to get back into oem sizes

kcaja1
January 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I have an 09 and really have no idea when to replace the tires. It's got 5k miles now and most of the miles are from commuting. Does anyone know? I know it's different for everybody but I'm asking for an average number.

Alex
January 30th, 2012, 11:46 AM
It really does vary from <2k miles per tire up to 15k+ miles per tire. If they are over 5 years old, replace them. If the tread is to the wear bars, replace them. If the tires are worn such that they are completely flatspotted in the center and are no longer trustworthy when turning, replace them.

But the only way to know when to replace the particular tires on a particular bike are by looking at them individually, mileage will truly vary. (Here's a thread where YMMV can be taken literally. :))

Jinx250
January 31st, 2012, 07:45 AM
Yes!

Looking at them now....suggestions?

Yeah - don't plug a MC tire.

BT-45.

gilmorec61
January 31st, 2012, 07:56 AM
Mam, sorry to hear about that, that sucks!! :( Hope the damage wasn't too bad!