View Full Version : What just happened?

oreX
January 30th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Oh man. Ouch. :(

So im riding along on a 6 lane road, 3 lanes on each side, with a turning lane in the middle (Exact spot of incident. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=florida+mall&hl=en&ll=28.467385,-81.39667&spn=0.001008,0.002064&sll=28.467442,-81.39527&sspn=0.004032,0.008256&t=h&radius=0.3&hq=florida+mall&z=20)). Im in the left most lane traveling north, following behind a honda fit. Next thing you know the fit is slamming on its brakes and so am I. Im full on the rear locking it up while extremely hard on the front brake, so hard in fact that the tail end comes as I rear end the little fit. When I hit the fit I was thrown to the right a bit and landed on my shoulder, and rolled around a bit. When I stood up I was staring at an suv in the middle lane that if it had not stopped would have probably killed me. Turns out that someone exiting the church across the street decided they wanted to turn left, which is perfectly fine and legal. What they didnt know how to do is actually turn left. They were sitting almost perpendicular, maybe a little cocked to the left in the turning lane with their ass end sticking out one side and their front end sticking out into my lane in front of the fit. This scared the **** out of the girl driving the fit and she slammed on the brakes instead of swerving. Fortunately she stopped in time, but I did not.

After about 30 seconds of everyone going 'omg do you need an ambulance', and me shouting a bunch of curse words and saying "wtf just happened" about 20 times the man behind me helped me pick up the bike and move it into the median out of traffic. When I turned around the fit and other vehicle were gone. I turned around again to talk to the man who helped but he was already in his car driving by me.

I would consider myself a decently smart person, and I know i've said, "didn't you get the plate numbers" to a few of my friends who have had similar accidents in their cars. Honestly you're not thinking about any of that stuff when your lying in the middle of a six lane road with shooting pain in your inner thigh and left arm with cars honking at you.

Overall im ok. I'm probably going to have to go get my shoulder and leg checked out, but it should be fine.

The bike didnt actually take that much damage. With the help of saxnbass and another fellow rider I managed to ride it home.

This hasn't really deterred me from riding, because I know it was about 80% my fault. If I would have just given 5 more feet of following distance this could have all been avoided and it would have just been an every day traffic finger incident.

RaZeDaHeLL
January 30th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Ouch.... luckily you're okay and the bike is not badly damaged.

Vampyre
January 30th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Well technically any damage you did to the Fit would have been your fault. So now you only need to fix your bike and not her car.

saxnbass
January 30th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Like I said yesterday mate, good thing you could ride home. And again, if you need any of my stock parts until you get the bike fixed or anything, let me know; if I'm not in class, I'll help you put em on and such too.

oreX
January 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Album up.

http://imgur.com/a/QGGYk

massacremasses
January 30th, 2012, 11:06 AM
time for flush mounts

pilotgeorge747
January 30th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Glad you and the bike are ok. I agree it's most likely for the beat that the car did not stick around otherwise you'd have bigger headaches right now.

This is why I am a fan of frame sliders. I considered getting them but decided against it. A couple weeks later I drop my bike. First thing I did before any repairs was add frame sliders to lessen (although i know not elimnate) the chance of damage in a slow/moderate speed drop.

akima
January 30th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Glad you're ok, but sad to see a brand new 2012 ninjette get bruised up. It doesn't look too bad, but I bet you're pretty upset about it.

You're lucky there was no one following you closely behind or that could have been much much worse.

Lots of bikers say that everyone crashes at some point. With that in mind I think that's a good crash to learn from. Things can go much worse than that. I bet you'll have safety on the forefront of your mind for many months now. I did.

alex.s
January 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM
police report. call asap. she ran so she is in the wrong now.

Racer x
January 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I think if you hit someone from behind its your fault. Not sure.but I am glad you where not hurt or killed. These things are definitely wake up calls.

NDspd
January 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM
My god man, I hope you get back to 100% asap.

I had a super close call the other day, Young kid pulled a left hand turn right in front of me. It happened too fast even to react, thank god he was flying other wise I might not be typing this.

Ride safe man!!

choneofakind
January 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM
police report. call asap. she ran so she is in the wrong now.

+100000000000000. She ran.

nickjpass
January 30th, 2012, 03:07 PM
You just won money.

johnjohn
January 30th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Not after confessing in these threads you were at least 80% at fault. Drive for the conditions. Don't daydream on your sparkling red scratched up Kawasaki.

EthioKnight
January 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sorry you had to go through that man. Learn from your mistakes ( safe following distance ...) and get back on the saddle.

Mountain Dew
January 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Yet another reason to get a camera :>

Hoodie Ninja
January 30th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Glad to hear your OK. I know what it's like to have a new ride F'd up. Definitely go get yourself checked out though.

Slono
January 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Good thing you're okay. And although she ran, I don't think reporting it would benefit you. You would still have to pay for damage to her car AND your bike and your insurance rate would increase. The only thing she would get is a fine, maybe a ticket. Not to mention if she was rotten, she could fake an injury and get money from your insurance company.

oreX
January 30th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm replies.

Even if I filed a police report I (and my insurance company) dont think it would help at all. Maybe I could blame the person who was blocking the road for the incident but when it comes down to it I rear ended the girl in the fit and should have been more focused and not following so closely. I guess maybe I had become complacent and/or too confident in my skills despite the many threads I've read on this forum.

I'm not the least bit angry about the damage to the bike or the fact that the parties involved took off so quickly. I'm just glad that I was able to walk away from it.

I could do the repairs myself but i've contacted my insurance company and have arranged for the bike to be picked up tomorrow morning and a professional to assess the true damage to it. After all, whats the point of paying for insurance if you're not going to use it with things like this. You never know what could have been bent or tweaked on the bike that could cause another incident later down the line.

I have decent medical coverage from my insurance company so I have also arranged to see a doctor tomorrow. Im guessing the treatment is just going to involve some aspirin and lots of rest.

I already miss riding the bike and cant wait to get back on the horse as they say.

Ride Safe my friends.

-oreX

akima
January 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
I'm not the least bit angry about the damage to the bike or the fact that the parties involved took off so quickly. I'm just glad that I was able to walk away from it.

Great attitude :thumbup:

rz3r0
February 1st, 2012, 02:06 AM
I was hit by a vehicle just the other day too, not a very pleasant feeling :( I'm glad you're alright and I hope you and your bike get to 100% soon. :thumbup: I'd also get checked at the hospital ASAP, I thought I was alright but I found out I had a shoulder joint separation from the accident.

oreX
February 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
I received a phone call from the insurance company. Total repair cost is about 2250. I didnt get a detailed report of what all needs to be done, maybe I can call the shop and have them send me one.

Malicious Logic
February 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Wow, $2250? Holy ****! Excuse my language but I would definitely want to know what the damage was. Definitely doesn't look like half the cost of the bike in damages from the pics you showed.

Atleast you're ok and take this as a lesson to keep your mind on the ride. Keep a proper following distance and always know what's in front of you and down the road. Also, maybe practice some emergency braking in an empty parking lot.

saxnbass
February 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
I'm with Mark on this. Get a list of everything they are claiming they need to do on the bike. Get very suspicious when blinker fluid replacement is on the list. :p

oreX
February 2nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Well, im sure they quoted MSRP on all of the parts, including the aftermarket exhaust. I've only got to pay the 250 deductible, but it will still be interesting to see what all needs fixing.

JeffM
February 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
So im riding along on a 6 lane road, 3 lanes on each side, with a turning lane in the middle (Exact spot of incident. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=florida+mall&hl=en&ll=28.467385,-81.39667&spn=0.001008,0.002064&sll=28.467442,-81.39527&sspn=0.004032,0.008256&t=h&radius=0.3&hq=florida+mall&z=20)). Im in the left most lane traveling north, following behind a honda fit. Next thing you know the fit is slamming on its brakes and so am I. Im full on the rear locking it up while extremely hard on the front brake, so hard in fact that the tail end comes as I rear end the little fit.

"What just happened?" is the title of your thread. Let's look at that.

Was there anything you could have done differently that would have allowed you to avoid the accident? How close were you following the Fit? What speed were you traveling? Did you target fixate as soon as you saw those brake lights light up?

Or would you have done it all the same? Sometimes things are unavoidable but usually there are other options.

Hope everything turns out ok with the bike and your shoulder. Ride safe everyone.

Jeff.

warlord
February 3rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
You were following too close, you reacted late, and you were braking incorrectly... or some combination of the above. Possibly also a lane positioning issue. As in if you were in lane position A you should have been able see what was happening and anticipated the stop before the Fit driver.

Good luck with the bike, glad to hear you're not hurt.