View Full Version : I can't adjust my Woodcraft Clipons (handlebars)

walty87
February 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
so that they fit right damnit.

I bought them in hopes of getting a more aggressive feel of the bigger super sport bikes, but I just cant seem to adjust them so they do rub / hit the sides of anything.

Anyone have any luck w/ these things? How should they go?

00NissanNinja
February 10th, 2012, 10:28 PM
You have any pics? Mine clear everything. Just make sure you have the riser clamps all the way up to touching the triple tree and then tighten them up a bit. Pull/angle the bars toward the back of the bike and then completely tighten the clamp.

cuong-nutz
February 11th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Are you sure you have the new style woodcrafts with the risers built in??
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=OOOX

walty87
February 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
You have any pics? Mine clear everything. Just make sure you have the riser clamps all the way up to touching the triple tree and then tighten them up a bit. Pull/angle the bars toward the back of the bike and then completely tighten the clamp.

Pretty sure I have the new style of them.

I'll have to get pics, but yes I do have them all the way up touching the triple tree, and I have them angled back so that the riser part of the clip on is flush against the side of the triple tree. Like this they do fit fine and have zero problem w/ clearance. But when they're like this they don't seem as sporty.

gogoKawi
February 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Pretty sure I have the new style of them.

I'll have to get pics, but yes I do have them all the way up touching the triple tree, and I have them angled back so that the riser part of the clip on is flush against the side of the triple tree. Like this they do fit fine and have zero problem w/ clearance. But when they're like this they don't seem as sporty.

I understand your predicament. And I totally agree. I was expecting the 250 with the Woodcraft's to feel more like my ZX-6R. In reality, they just stretch out my riding position. It's not a bad thing. It's just not what I was looking for.

I thought about trying out the Driven clip-ons. You can change the angle of the bars, either up or down, without moving them on the forks. Even still, I doubt this bike will ever have that true sporty feeling, without cutting the fairing. It just wasn't made that way.

walty87
February 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM
All they really did for me, was just move the handlebars foward and they sit more strait and don't angle back towards me.

I guess w/ my yosh rear set extendors, and the wc clipons it's slightly more aggressive, but it's still no super sport! I'm semi satisfied

choneofakind
February 14th, 2012, 07:31 PM
were you expecting a full blown supersport? :lol:

Those bikes have a much longer tank, and lower fairings and waaaay lower bars.

icbm
February 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I ordered some up because I wanted it to help place my weight more forward to help the front tire in the grip department. I wasn't expecting miracles just wanted another part to help.

choneofakind
February 15th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Drop the front end a half inch on the forks, and make/get some dogbones that are a few mm shorter eye to eye. That should make the bike ride more on it's nose. Not to mention it will turn in a lot quicker

00NissanNinja
February 16th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I ordered some up because I wanted it to help place my weight more forward to help the front tire in the grip department. I wasn't expecting miracles just wanted another part to help.

One of the racers out here used a gixxer or hayabusa rear shock (can't remember exactly which) and that also gave the bike a more forward stance.

icbm
February 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM
One of the racers out here used a gixxer or hayabusa rear shock (can't remember exactly which) and that also gave the bike a more forward stance.

I am using a GSXR 600 shock. Fabbing up some dogbones to lift the rear up some.

Somchai
August 16th, 2012, 01:41 AM
To adjust the Woodcraft clip ons you'll need their riser spacer http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/ninja-250r-clip-on-spacer-kit.html#

flippn
August 16th, 2012, 07:34 AM
To adjust the Woodcraft clip ons you'll need their riser spacer http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/ninja-250r-clip-on-spacer-kit.html#

Thanks for posting this link. Have you used it yourself? Are you able to adjust the clip ons so they're more turned in (compared to not having the spacer)? And if so, does it allow full turn both ways without hitting/scraping anything?

Somchai
August 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Yes I'm using them.
My clip ons now are 50 mm lower then oem handles and 30 mm more in the front then the oem are, the angle I'd mount them backwards is 50°. With this setup the bike feels absolute great and i don't feel pain in the wrist anymore like i did before and it doesn't affect the steering in a negative way.
For not touching the fairings I use this: http://japan.webike.net/products/19841668.html
But I'd need to cut it by 3 mm, so it'll fit better and doesn't limit so much (I hope you understand my english since it's not my mother language and also understand what I'm talking about).
Please take a look at the pictures.

flippn
August 21st, 2012, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the additional info Roland.

Sorry, I didn't quite get what you were describing. I was hoping that the spacer will allow the clip ons to be pulled in toward the rider. As it stands, the Woodcraft clip ons cannot accomodate the adjustment because it's already pressed up against the triple tree. I also don't want to have to cut the fairing in order to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Not really sure I'm describing what I want correctly though.

leed
August 21st, 2012, 04:53 AM
It seems like the product he's using actually decreases (or increases?) the limits of the steering stop so that you have a decreased turning radius (bars stop early) to prevent fairing rub with the bars.

The little Woodcraft blocks should do what you want them to, though. That is, they will allow the clipons to clear the pinch bolt area of the triple tree such that you can swing the clipons further back (towards the rider).

Another option you may consider is getting a new upper triple from eBay that has pinch bolts in a more convenient place.

But... It looks like they've been redesigned to be a little less convenient:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110931&highlight=triple

The OP has the newer version, the other picture has the older version (very convenient).

flippn
August 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks David and Roland. I think this will work for what I need, I guess it's my next purchase.

My apologies for jacking the thread by the way Andrew.