View Full Version : don't hate me

sombo
February 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Ok, now don't hate me or my choice in new bike. I have been looking into the idea of a new bike for a little bit now and liked the idea of a mid-size cruiser. After looking around, doing the research, and comparing bikes I made my choice for the one I felt was the best fit and best bargain. I unfortunately traded in the old ninjette for the new bike as I don't have a need for two bikes plus the maintenance on the aging ninjette was becoming too much. So I bit the bullet and got a 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow for around $9000 financed otd.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=903&pictureid=7662

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=903&pictureid=7661

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=903&pictureid=7660

csmith12
February 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Congrats Make! I like, I sold my sportster to buy my 250. Was one of the best cruisers I owned.

Good luck and safe riding with yours.

Scattcatt
February 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Pretty clean looking bike! Doubt anyone would hate you unless you bailed off of Ninjette.org or something :p

sombo
February 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Pretty clean looking bike! Doubt anyone would hate you unless you bailed off of Ninjette.org or something :p

Well it was just that a number of people on here put down on HD's and their owners really harshly. Plus the fact that I no longer have the ninjette. :(

Scattcatt
February 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I'd imagine there's a bit of a difference between someone such as yourself going from a ninjette to an HD as opposed to a stereotypical thorough-bred HD'er for life, just saying :thumbup:

ally99
February 12th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah! Don't leave us! Congrats on your bike. How does it ride compared to the Ninjette?

sombo
February 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hehehe, this is true. I didn't buy the bike for the image or the lifestyle. I did research and comparisons and this was the best one imo of the mid-size cruiser category for what I wanted. Same thing I did before getting the ninjette in the first place some 3 years and 15k miles ago. :thumbup:

choneofakind
February 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Well Sombo I don't hate you. I'm not a fan of HD's but as long as it's what you're looking for, that's the important part :thumbup:

Have fun on the new bike, and try to get used to the difference in ground clearance :p Would the Harley people get mad if you painted it Kawasaki Green?

bob706
February 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Congrats on the new bike. Looks really nice

pjed
February 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Congrats...that's a cool looking bike. :thumbup:

alex.s
February 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
shoulda got the xr1200

Xoulrath
February 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Congrats sombo! Nice bike. I like the Sportsters myself.

Alex, the XR1200, as much as I LOVE that bike, is simply overpriced for what you get out of it. So is the newer X model with the uprated suspension bits. Too many other bikes that have far more flexibility in what you can do with them for the same $12-$13K.

choneofakind
February 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM
shoulda got the xr1200

YES! that's the Harley I would happily ride.

etiainen
February 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
shoulda got the xr1200

I rode it at a demo day ride. The exhaust started melting my pant:eek:

Congrats on the bike. I rode the 883 also, and it was pretty nice on the highway. Not a big fan of cruisers once I'm in the city though.

sombo
February 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM
It's actually surprisingly nimble for a cruiser. In all the shootouts it was labeled as the best for in-town cruising. Didn't ride today because not only was it too cold for my standards, but also had things to do around the home. Also with it being so new everything is still a bit stiff; like the clutch, brakes, and shifter are far more heavy duty than the ninjette. It is a bit hard to get it into neutral, but they say it loosens up after a bit. I can definitely feel that the brakes are stronger requiring less pull on them. As for the increase in power (about double the HP and about 3x the torque), I am not sure how much to stress the engine this early on in the break in. I won't be babying it the way the factory says to (hell even the sales man said he doesn't with his bikes lol). So I will be pushing it a little more each time I ride it and get her parts nice and worked in. :)

etiainen
February 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm too used to my light 250s, they just feel more natural in the city to me.

Asspire
February 12th, 2012, 09:07 PM
they spelled Ninja wrong on the side of the tank....

other than that, looks good. love the color.

EsrTek
February 13th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Congrats, nice bike!!
Just don't turn into a HD squid w/ no gear and half helmets (if any since you can legally go without) and I don't think your going to get any hate.

PS -- Considering your in FL a cruiser is probably a better fit for the long straight roads :P

NDspd
February 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Very nice man!!! I can appreciate Harleys, I'm starting to get a liking toward the cruiser look...like a Triumph.

sombo
February 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Yeah! Don't leave us! Congrats on your bike. How does it ride compared to the Ninjette?

Don't worry, I don't plan on leaving here. On the 40+ mile trip home it road rather nice. At idle it had a bit of vibration from it being the tried and true HD 45 degree v-twin. However with the newer rubber mounts that are now standard it's not really that bad. When you get going though it smooths right out and didn't feel any more vibrating than the pre-gen. The brakes are stronger, the clutch and brake pulls are stiffer, and the transmission is still stiff with it not always wanting to go into neutral (not that big of a deal as I have already noticed it starting to get a little easier).

The suspension is nice and smooth, I felt a little less of the road than I did with the pre-gen. It is NOT by any mean jarring like some people try to say it is. It's also not 100% cushy like some other cruisers which are like being on a LazyBoy recliner. It's surprisingly nimble wanting to lean just about as quickly as the 250 did (lower center of weight makes the pivot point rather easy) even though it won't lean as far. I have discovered that it's lean angle is rather short in that I have already scraped both pegs at least once.

The seat is also nicely padded, not super soft like the touring bikes with their ultra plush seat cushions. But, it's also softer and better shaped than the pre-gen's was. I have more leg room but am not stretched out, about a 90 degree angle at the knees instead of bent backwards or stretched out in front of me. The hand grips are larger and more comfortable than the pre-gens. The handlebars I will be adjusting today when I get home from work to bring them down and back just a little.

My only two real complaints that I will be addressing this payday, are the headlight and the mirrors. The headlight is horrible in low beam. It has like about half the area of the pre-gen's light and is really short (gonna adjust it and see if that helps). The mirrors are better than the pre-gen's, however they are still a bit too short and too close to my hands on the grips. So I will be getting the LED headlamp and some long stem mirrors which should fix both issues just fine.

2011Ninja250R
February 14th, 2012, 07:19 AM
V a n c e & H i n e s . . . :D

sombo
February 14th, 2012, 07:21 AM
V a n c e & H i n e s . . . :D

Screaming Eagle, not only do they make exhausts specifically for the HD's, they also make other engine parts as well and are part of the official HD customization shop and catalog of parts. :thumbup:

saxnbass
February 14th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure I can ever talk to you again Mike. :p

J/K... maybe :D

CC Cowboy
February 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I had many Sportsters. You will love it.

choneofakind
February 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Screaming Eagle, not only do they make exhausts specifically for the HD's, they also make other engine parts as well and are part of the official HD customization shop and catalog of parts. :thumbup:

my motorcycle shop tells me that the H-D fuel mapping for screaming eagle stuff leaves the bike lean fyi. I heard them talking to another guy picking up his bike one day when I was getting tires changed.

caps
February 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I hate you......

Can i drive it?

sombo
February 17th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Can i drive it?

Sorry sir, I can not let you do that. I just got it to 300 miles today and am very cautious with my bike after hearing of all the drops from friends and such. You could always go to a bike week and demo it. :D

I also have to love how it shocked a few of the Orlando crew when I kept up with them zipping through tights spots in traffic on Thursday. See, they aren't slow lumbering hulks like people think they are. :p

caps
February 17th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Pfft... I didn't want to drive it anyway (*tear)... I guess I always have Bill's Outback and whatever bike he has at the time to test drive if I ever make it up their for more than an evening.

massacremasses
February 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9372463.jpg

caps
March 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Did you know Adam just traded his 650 in for one of these :) now we have 2 Harley's in the Cetral Florida Ninjas Group!

sombo
March 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
No, I didn't know that. Nice, I like it and have been finding all kinds of things I want for it for in the future. One thing I plan to start putting money aside for is a Baker 6-speed overdrive conversion for the bike. That will make highway use more enjoyable and get even better than the 45mpg I'm already getting. But first I plan on getting a detachable windshield and the forward foot controls so I can stretch out a little and have some wind protection.

Cause lemme tell you, everyone on here that has complained about feeling like they are gonna get blown off their ninjette has absolutely no clue what that feeling is really like. Take a naked cruiser with no wind protection what-so-ever and a totally upright seating position down the highway at 80mph and you'll then know what it feels like to have the wind try pushing you off the back of the bike. On the ninjette (especially the new-gens) you are leaning into the wind slightly, have some wind deflection, and really only get hit by the wind from the shoulders up (maybe as low as center chest on some). However, on a cruiser you are upright or even lightly reclined and the wind is hitting you from the waste up full force and also catching on your legs as well. It will wear you out pretty quick.

saxnbass
March 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Adam traded his Ninja 650 in for a Harley???

caps
March 22nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Eric: yea he ha pics on Facebook. He dd it on the second weekend of bike week.

Mike: that sounds like poop to be honest. I drove the ninjette without a front fairing for one ride and hated it. I couldn't do a naked. Or a cruiser. But definitely not a naked cruiser...

sombo
March 22nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Eric: yea he ha pics on Facebook. He dd it on the second weekend of bike week.

Mike: that sounds like poop to be honest. I drove the ninjette without a front fairing for one ride and hated it. I couldn't do a naked. Or a cruiser. But definitely not a naked cruiser...

Hehehe, yah, going to Daytona on I-4 at 80mph made me realize just how much you get blasted by the wind on a basic cruiser. It's all good up to about 65mph. Start getting above that and you start to feel the push backwards. But that's fine, I just need a detachable windshield (hooks on to the forks with quick release clips).

Reddoak
March 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
No, I didn't know that. Nice, I like it and have been finding all kinds of things I want for it for in the future. One thing I plan to start putting money aside for is a Baker 6-speed overdrive conversion for the bike. That will make highway use more enjoyable and get even better than the 45mpg I'm already getting. But first I plan on getting a detachable windshield and the forward foot controls so I can stretch out a little and have some wind protection.

Cause lemme tell you, everyone on here that has complained about feeling like they are gonna get blown off their ninjette has absolutely no clue what that feeling is really like. Take a naked cruiser with no wind protection what-so-ever and a totally upright seating position down the highway at 80mph and you'll then know what it feels like to have the wind try pushing you off the back of the bike. On the ninjette (especially the new-gens) you are leaning into the wind slightly, have some wind deflection, and really only get hit by the wind from the shoulders up (maybe as low as center chest on some). However, on a cruiser you are upright or even lightly reclined and the wind is hitting you from the waste up full force and also catching on your legs as well. It will wear you out pretty quick.

LOL, welcome to my world! Try it on a 650 that spins up to 100 MPH with little trouble... Even if I wanted to ride fast, the wind blast keeps me legal.

sombo
March 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
LOL, welcome to my world! Try it on a 650 that spins up to 100 MPH with little trouble... Even if I wanted to ride fast, the wind blast keeps me legal.

Oh no.... trust me, it's 4x worse on a cruiser. I have taken a 650 up to 80mph and barely noticed any wind. Take my cruiser up to 65mph and you already feel 2x the wind as on a 650 at 80+. The 650 still has the wind deflection and seating posture I described for the 250. I highly recommend trying a bare-boned cruiser at 80mph. That will make you really appreciate your 650 and the protection it provides all that much more. :p

saxnbass
March 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Mike, get a wind shield for it? :p

Vampyre
March 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I am back in town. Any of you guys going to SNS this Thursday?

saxnbass
March 27th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I'll be there, but I have class until 2100 (9pm), so I'll get there late. Hopefully you'll still be there, I want to hear about your Europe trip.

Klondike1020
March 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
shoulda got the xr1200

What he said ^

sombo
March 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Mike, get a wind shield for it? :p

No, not yet. :(

Reddoak
April 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Oh no.... trust me, it's 4x worse on a cruiser. I have taken a 650 up to 80mph and barely noticed any wind. Take my cruiser up to 65mph and you already feel 2x the wind as on a 650 at 80+. The 650 still has the wind deflection and seating posture I described for the 250. I highly recommend trying a bare-boned cruiser at 80mph. That will make you really appreciate your 650 and the protection it provides all that much more. :p
I don't have a Ninja 650 with a fairing... The ER-6n has... a speedo :eek:. It was a huge change from my previous Ninjette.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

sombo
April 4th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I don't have a Ninja 650 with a fairing... The ER-6n has... a speedo :eek:. It was a huge change from my previous Ninjette.

I know exactly what you're talking about.

Ah, now that would change things. Yes, I'm sure you have a much better idea about that then those just on the 250. :cool:

choneofakind
April 7th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Sombo, I actually saw an 883 just like yours today in the parking lot at work. It was the same red color, and was blacked out (mostly). All I can say, is that is a sharp looking bike. Congrats on having such a clean, simple and neat bike :thumbup:

sombo
April 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Sombo, I actually saw an 883 just like yours today in the parking lot at work. It was the same red color, and was blacked out (mostly). All I can say, is that is a sharp looking bike. Congrats on having such a clean, simple and neat bike :thumbup:

Thanks, I get a lot of people saying similar things. Makes me glad I chose it every time I hear this. :)

I also love all the various things I could with mods to it. There is way more out there for it than with the even the 250. :thumbup:

saxnbass
April 8th, 2012, 10:18 AM
So Mike, that orange one that the guy at school has I was telling you about, looked up the 883R; that'd be the one.

sombo
April 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I thought it might be. That was the only model I could think of that was done in orange from the factory. Any other 883 sportster in orange will probably be a custom paint job.

GreenNinja
April 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I get a lot of people saying similar things. Makes me glad I chose it every time I hear this. :)

I also love all the various things I could with mods to it. There is way more out there for it than with the even the 250. :thumbup:

Have a friend with a 1200 and it looks nice. Yeah you are right about the number of mods you can do with it. My buddy complains about how much he is spending on mods to make the bike the way he wants it. His opinion is this: HD gives you the bike and you will need to mod it to make it a better bike and soon you will be wondering why you bought it but yet you can't stop spending. Soon you will be like him and end up spending almost as much as you paid for the bike: LED headlights, new seat, pipes, windshield and maybe even chrome. :eek: The gas mileage is good though: 45 - 55mpg. Keep us up to date on your new bike. I am interested in your opinion since you were a fellow 250 rider.

cerberusrex25
April 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I would love to chop this and make the rattiest rod EVAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!, looking good there amigo, hope you own it and make it yours.