View Full Version : Ninja 250 = Gateway Drug??

Pages : [1] 2

kkim
November 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'm just curious what you all think of your bikes. Do you plan to move up to a larger bike once you "get used to" the awesome 250 power and are ready to properly ride a "real" motorcycle?? Or do you feel this bike is the cat's pajamas and it is all the bike you will ever need for the rest of your life?:)

For me, I've moved from previous CBR 600s to this bike and cannot be happier. I like my new toy and think it will be with me for many years to come. I love working on and modding the bike just to get a bit more edge than what it currently has, but, for me, the real kicker is when I hit the twisties and am able to carve tight lines quickly and effortlessly compared to my previous bigger, heavier, more powerful bikes.

So, what say you? Does this bike satisfy the itch or is your ninja 250 merely a gateway drug for bigger, better, more?? :cool:

I'm very interested to hear what you all feel. I'm relatively new to the board, but can see the average user here is a bit more mature (read older) and sensible.

thanks in advance for your opinion.
:)

Alex
November 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Great thread topic, Kelly. The ninjette isn't the only bike in our garage, and it wasn't our first bike. I wanted to get it for Annie when she was first learning, but she initially didn't like the feel of it and thought the seat was too high. So she started on a Buell Blast, which has a much lower seat height. After riding that for awhile, and upgrading to a Triumph Bonneville (which she thought was simply gorgeous! and I agreed), she found she wasn't riding much at all because the size and weight of the bike made it more work than fun. We agreed to sell her Bonnie, and the same day it sold I surprised her with a new ninjette in the garage (this was back in 2004) because I was pretty sure she'd like it a bit better now than when she first sat on one as a novice. Luckily, I was right, and now the ninjette felt great to her. Much more manageable than the Triumph, easy to move around on and she felt much more comfortable on the road.

I've always had other bikes in the garage as well, from BMW sport-touring bikes, to full-on sportbikes; including 600's, literbikes, and GT bikes. I have to admit sometimes it is a kick to have more power than you'd ever need, it's comforting to know there's always something in reserve. But none of that takes anything away from the ninjette. When Annie was pregnant, we ended up selling her ninjette because I wasn't sure how much use it would get if she wasn't riding for awhile. Turns out I missed having one in the garage, especially after I saw pics of the 2008 version and read more about its specs. Now that we have one again, it's getting decent mileage put on it, almost exclusively by me but by Annie as well a little bit at a time. I don't neglect my other bikes because of the ninjette, and I try and get some decent mileage on all of them. For the much longer rides where the weather isn't guaranteed to be perfect, the ninjette might not be the first choice. But for a morning blast through the twisties, sometimes the ninjette is as fun as the ZX-10R. It is a kick to be able to wring the heck out of a bike without going directly to jail. You can use a much larger portion of the ninjette's capabilities on a public road without endangering yourself or others, and it's just plain fun. If you start approaching the limits of a 165 horsepower missile on the public streets, it takes just a few seconds of full-throttle before you're doubling the highest speed limit in the land, with a whole bunch more to go. Certainly takes more self-control, and also more careful throttle management in the twisties, which simply isn't a factor on the ninjette.

So in a roundabout answer to your question, the 250 isn't our first bike with a hopes of moving up to a larger bike in the future. We have always owned larger bikes as well, and simply enjoy the ninjette on its own merits. Its capabilities and fun factor stand on their own.

Sailariel
November 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Kelly, I`m with Alex--The 250R is my terminal bike. I have been riding off and on-mostly on, for 50 years and have owned some classics, to include an NSU 250, Triumph 500, BSA 650, Ariel Square Four 1000, Vincent Shaddow 1000, Triumph TR-6 (same as Boneville but one carb) BMW R-60, Dunstall Norton 750 Cafe Racer and a Honda 750 SS. They were all fun bikes in their own way. I logged 75,000 miles on the NSU which I sold in 91. Mind you the NSU ceased production in he 1958. I also logged 200,000+ miles on the BMW--something to be said for German bikes. I am not quite certain what the lifetime of the 250 Ninja would be. The performance for a 250 is legendary which would explain its popularity. It is fast, but tame. It acellerates as well as the TR-6--actually better, and corners like a skateboard. Right now, at age 67, it is all the bike I need. My friends think that I have lost it. My wife thinks that any day now she will see me in the obituaries. I have had the bike for six months and still get "advice". In 50 years of driving and riding, I have never had an accident or a ticket. I can`t think that anything will change.

Purspeed
November 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Good question, Kkim.

I ended up with an 07 because the bike that I've had a deposit on for almost a year has not come in yet. At the same time, I have been waiting for YEARS for a bike like the 08+ Ninja. A bike that is totally reliable, quality, lightweight, stylish and mod friendly.

I think that this bike is going to change the way a lot of people look at the concept of "beginner's" bikes. I think that people that are more seasoned appreciate the unique qualities of the 08 Ninja.

I do plan to give/sell my 07 Ninja, but if I were to get an 08, it would be a keeper for me. I don't think I would sell it because it's simply different.

BlueTyke
November 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I love my Tyke... There is no getting around that. But she is my first bike. I have never tested the waters of another bike.

I have sat on other bikes but never rode them. (aside from the back but I don't feel that counts). I suppose one day I may want to venture forward to a bigger bike or test them out and see. I am sure if I visit certain places they would be happy to let me take a spin on theirs just to see. So far I haven't been tempted.

kkim
November 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
You know, I have a hard time predicting where my threads will go. I could have sworn there would be many that would have said the 250 was their stepping stone to a larger bike. I guess the make up of this forum is a lot more mature than I envisioned. It just seemed like every young stud out there is just itching to switch from their beginner bikes to a 150mph crotch rocket after a few months on their little 250.

kudos to you guys and gals for renewing my faith in 250 owners. :)

Purspeed
November 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
You know, I have a hard time predicting where my threads will go. I could have sworn there would be many that would have said the 250 was their stepping stone to a larger bike. I guess the make up of this forum is a lot more mature than I envisioned. It just seemed like every young stud out there is just itching to switch from their beginner bikes to a 150mph crotch rocket after a few months on their little 250.

After studying about bikes and riding (on-off) for a while, I appreciate the 250 like no other. I truly think that this bike will utter in a new reality into the motorcycle scene.

Just wait and see. Low CC = cool.

kkim
November 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Just wait and see. Low CC = cool.It's just a shift in mentality that is just now slowly occuring in this country. In some countries, a 250 is considered a big bike. :eek:

BlueTyke
November 20th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I thought that way once Kelly. I was just thinking the 250 would guide me to a larger bike (though I am certainly no squid thats for sure). Not after a few months for certain (once I paid it off most assuredly).

TrueFaith
November 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I had actually stopped riding for a while and was thinking of getting a Yamaha FZ600 last year to get back into riding. Then all the buzz started about the new redesigned Ninja 250. I sat on both bikes and liked the ergonomics and compactness of the Ninja better. Once I got it on the road, I realized it had as much power and torque as my old 1982 Seca 400. Apparently they have done great things with engine design in 25+ years. I never really wanted a 600, but nobody's making a 400 or 450 these days and I thought I'd have to "settle" for a 600cc bike. The larger wheels and higher seat of the 2008 Ninja was what did it for me. Didn't like the pre-2008 seating much, but the upgrade in size of the new Ninja sealed the deal for me. Now I have a bike that carves the corners as good or better than my Seca 400 did, gets way better gas mileage and fits like a glove. I'm not moving up to a bigger bike - I had to move down in displacement to find a real keeper.

Purspeed
November 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
I had actually stopped riding for a while and was thinking of getting a Yamaha FZ600 last year to get back into riding. Then all the buzz started about the new redesigned Ninja 250. I sat on both bikes and liked the ergonomics and compactness of the Ninja better. Once I got it on the road, I realized it had as much power and torque as my old 1982 Seca 400. Apparently they have done great things with engine design in 25+ years. I never really wanted a 600, but nobody's making a 400 or 450 these days and I thought I'd have to "settle" for a 600cc bike. The larger wheels and higher seat of the 2008 Ninja was what did it for me. Didn't like the pre-2008 seating much, but the upgrade in size of the new Ninja sealed the deal for me. Now I have a bike that carves the corners as good or better than my Seca 400 did, gets way better gas mileage and fits like a glove. I'm not moving up to a bigger bike - I had to move down in displacement to find a real keeper.

I've always wanted Ducati to make a 350-450cc single. There was some talk about a Cagiva single that is styled similar to the 916, but that never came about. I don't want to know what they would have priced them at, but it would be one fast, nimble little thing.

And, Kkim, your right, we are the exception. In most countries tiny engines are the norm and the 250 would be a modest size engine, indeed.

Kurosaki
November 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't really know what I'm going to do. I sometimes think I'll get a 600 sometime soon once I feel I'm skilled enough to use it on the track.

I'm not really interested in going fast in a straight line and not too concerned with high horsepower acceleration, so I'm really in no rush to get myself a 600 track bike.

I just want some more aftermarket support for track oriented parts... Clip ons, rearsets, etc.

Bone_Head311
November 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
The 250 is my first bike, and i plan to keep her for a while. I would like to upgrade to a bigger bike one day. I wish they made a 400 with modern sportbike styling. Its a neglected segment IMO. very few 250's and the next step up is a high horsepower 600

toku
November 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I've ridden 600's and 750's, I ended up moving down to a 250 to find a bike I really like. The little ninja is much more usable and it's a blast opening the engine up. I do wish it had a bit more power though, a resurection of the 4 cylinder 250s would be sweet.

workdaddy
November 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
It's funny to read how many peps have actually moved down in bike size... I am one who has too chosen that path. Mine was mainly for the price, after of course I rode one. Just felt right, from day one that I made it go vroom! And for the low cost that they are... You can't go wrong. Back in 2001 I purchased a 2000 Honda CBR 600 with less than 5k on it (for $5,500) and loved it... But then again it was a bike. Now, I would and do tell people when they ask about "The small bike" I honestly have more fun on it... So light and the canyons here in Salt Lake, Utah... PLAYGROUND of fun for these lil devils.:leanedover:

Ducati916Senna
November 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't know what you guys are thinking, but anything less than a 600 is useless. Only beginners ride these bikes and are afraid to ride something bigger. When you guys are ready to join the big boys you'll see what I mean. Ok, ok, I've had enough fun...I'm just kidding. But, that is the mentality of these idiots that start riding and a month later go into a dealership and say "I've got to have a 1000". I don't care who you are, there is no one out there that can ride even a 600 to it's full potential on the street. These 250's are great and are more than enough to get you in trouble. Ask me how I know. My wife is very happy with her 09 and she says she plans on keeping it for a while. Her gateway drug was riding with me all the time. Good thread.

zartan
November 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Glad I read your entire post. The flaming almost begun!:flame: good one.

Ducati916Senna
November 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'm sorry, but that was the intention. I wonder how many of you I'm going to turn into tools, LOL.

zartan
November 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM
no sorry's needed
yes it was funny. I was thinking WTF then finished your post and laughed.

I don't think this site harbors alot of tools . Boy lately on some other site everyone is being a tool. that is why I am here !

kkim
December 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
no sorry's needed
yes it was funny. I was thinking WTF then finished your post and laughed.

I don't think this site harbors alot of tools . Boy lately on some other site everyone is being a tool. that is why I am here !

amen, sister!! :argue:

OldGuy
December 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
So, what say you? Does this bike satisfy the itch or is your ninja 250 merely a gateway drug for bigger, better, more?? :cool:

Like Greg said anything less than a 600 is nothing more than a paper weight for the shop table. If you really want something between your legs a $5,000 down payment will get you on the list for one of these bad boyz (http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home).

Now talk about a track day :D

In all reality my 2001 is giving me all the fun I need right now. If anything I might consider a move to an '08 sometime down the road but for now . . .

kkim
December 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Like Greg said anything less than a 600 is nothing more than a paper weight for the shop table. If you really want something between your legs a $5,000 down payment will get you on the list for one of these bad boyz (http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home).

Now talk about a track day :D

In all reality my 2001 is giving me all the fun I need right now. If anything I might consider a move to an '08 sometime down the road but for now . . . neat pic... is that you at the track getting your fix? :D

I think you should be right proud of the bike you have now and the work you've put into it to get it where it presently is. If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Enjoy!

OldGuy
December 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
neat pic... is that you at the track getting your fix? :D

Don't I wish. I have no clue on how I'd do that on my 250 let alone a 200 hp machine like the Czysk. I hope he can make of go of it.

I think you should be right proud of the bike you have now and the work you've put into it to get it where it presently is. If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Well one thing I do want to work on next year is a new fairing to replace the cracked one I've got now. With that replaced and the front fender repaired I could really live with the two dings in the gas tank.

kkim
December 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Well one thing I do want to work on next year is a new fairing to replace the cracked one I've got now. With that replaced and the front fender repaired I could really live with the two dings in the gas tank.

Ebay!!! :crazyloco:

Sailariel
December 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
I`m perfectly happy with my 250. I have owned bikes up to 1000cc (Ariel) and as small as 200cc (Bultaco). In August I took a trip to the Gaspe Peninsula with two friends on much larger bikes than mine. I had no trouble keeping up with them. Their only comment besides, "That`s a fast little bike." was that I had to shift much more often. It may have been a little more work to keep the bike in the "sweet spot" (8000RPM) in the mountains, but I certainly had great control. The only reason I can think of where I would need abigger bike would be if I were contemplating a sidecar rig. I can just visualize a Ninja 650R with a Lime Green Jawa sidecar.

camaroz1985
December 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
The only reason I can think of where I would need abigger bike would be if I were contemplating a sidecar rig. I can just visualize a Ninja 650R with a Lime Green Jawa sidecar.

I would love to see this :thumbup:

SV-Mark
December 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I've always wanted Ducati to make a 350-450cc single. There was some talk about a Cagiva single that is styled similar to the 916, but that never came about. I don't want to know what they would have priced them at, but it would be one fast, nimble little thing.

And, Kkim, your right, we are the exception. In most countries tiny engines are the norm and the 250 would be a modest size engine, indeed.

you may want to consider the Mito :thumbup:

kkim
December 3rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
you may want to consider the Mito :thumbup:

is the Mito available in the US?

Sailariel
December 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
My father was a motorcyclist when he lived in Europe. He had a 250NSU and considered that a good solo machine. I had an NSU 250 in 1958 and I distinctly remember that the owner`s manual had a section on hooking up a sidecar to the NSU. NSU made a Moped, a 125, and a 250. They were immensely popular in Europe, and to some degree in the US. I see some of the people around here doing the "Ton" on their 900+cc sportbikes and wonder how long they will be around. I was on Rte1 last week cruising at 60mph and had a Gixxer go by me on one wheel. He held that wheelie for a good 100 yards. Scared the hell out of me.

Alex
December 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I see some of the people around here doing the "Ton" on their 900+cc sportbikes and wonder how long they will be around.

It's never the speed that gets you. It's the sudden stop that's the painful part. :D

kkim
December 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
It's never the speed that gets you. It's the sudden stop that's the painful part. :D

yes, and hopefully they are the only ones involved, but sadly, that is not always the case. :(

camaroz1985
December 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

It's like Kelly says though, far to many times it isn't a solo accident when someone is being stupid like this.

One time when I was in Michigan I saw two guys do wheelies from a stoplight side by side. The one guy lost it and fell over onto the other one. Some how they both managed to stay up, but was still scary.

But anyways, :focus:

And to answer the original question, yes it is a gateway drug, but not necessarily to bigger, better things, but to motorcycling in general.

Sailariel
December 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Kelly, That`s what my Jumpmaster said when I went to jump school--It`s that sudden stop.

mcteague
December 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I'm curious to see the '09 Ninja 650R. When riding to work on I95 I sometimes wish for more power to get out of way of some cagers. With the 250 you have to downshift and rev to really pull away. Often you just don't have the time. I also would rather have FI than carbs. I sat on a Versys and found the position too high and wide and most of the extra saddle height was eaten up by the higher ground clearance. Supersports have way more power than I want/need and the position is a stopper, too much weight on the wrists. So, we shall see. For the money the 250R is tough to beat.

Tim

TrueFaith
December 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Tim, the latest issue of Motorcyclist magazine (Jan. 2009) has an extensive review of the new ZX-6R. Don't read it unless you want to feel even more conflicted about getting a bigger bike. ;)

k-os
December 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Although I've only owned the bike for a couple months now, I want to keep it for a long time. Sometime in the future I may end up getting a 600, but I not until I'm at least 25 because insurance is ridiculous. :)

mcteague
December 8th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Hey Tim, the latest issue of Motorcyclist magazine (Jan. 2009) has an extensive review of the new ZX-6R. Don't read it unless you want to feel even more conflicted about getting a bigger bike. ;)

I doubt I will be tempted. I don't understand how anyone can be comfortable with bars that low. I like being able to lean forward when I need to, not have the bike force that position upon me. I really like the 250 but want some improvements without losing the virtues such as it's great blend of stability and flick-ability.

Tim

Suey250
December 8th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm also new to motorcycling. I'm going to consider a bigger bike in a couple of years, like the new ninja 650 mmmmm. The only problem, which I'll figure out then is should I keep the 250? It looks so awesome:cool:, how could I sell it?!?!

TonyKZ1
December 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Well, I've got 38k+ on my '89 Ninja 250. If not for the Ninja 250 forums, I'd never have bought "such a small bike" as a Ninja 250, especially after riding my '75 KZ400.
As it turned out it wasn't really a downgrade at all. They were about the same hp, with the EX250 getting the nod for about 100 lbs lighter weight, water-cooled vs the KZ400's air-cooled, better mpg, much better parts availability, and cheaper insurance.
So I'm keeping mine for quite sometime, it was almost traded in or left for a bigger bike when I had engine problems a couple of weeks ago. But I found an affordable used engine and was able to replace the engine so now I'm back on the road.
Tony

CRXTrek
December 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I rode a KZ 400 back in High School. Then either didn't have time or money for twenty some years.
Now i got the 250 to brush up skills on and wouldn't be out much money if i dropped it a few times. But i had no problems all summer . except putting feet down for a few slow u-turns.
Now i have deposit down for 09 ZX-6r

Mista Bob
December 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I plan on getting a bigger bike eventually, but I think I'll still keep my 250.
This bike is the perfect commuter, so even if I get another bike I'll keep this one for that.

grandmaster
December 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
"The small bike" I honestly have more fun on it... So light and the canyons here in Salt Lake, Utah... PLAYGROUND of fun for these lil devils.:leanedover:

I plan on riding back to Salt Lake from here in St. George over the summer to visit family and friends. I would love to go hit up little/big cottonwood. I have been riding for about 9 years (mostly dirt bikes) so I am good on a motorcycle. I just dont know How great I would be on the twisties up the canyon, but I would love to give it a shot.

I plan on getting a bigger bike eventually, but I think I'll still keep my 250.
This bike is the perfect commuter, so even if I get another bike I'll keep this one for that.

x2, I love the 250, Only had it for a month but I dont think anything is gonna change. I plan on keeping it and then buying a CBR600 just to say I have one :D;) Great thread topic, can't believe I missed it first time around.

Cochese
December 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've gone down in size to the 250R. I did so on purpose, putting my deposit down when gas was $4.15 a gallon here.

Now that it's back to $1.50, that 2009 Black 650R is going to be a bit harder to ignore.

:D

Syphen
December 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Reading the first few posts and I agree with the points. Like you said, most threads on the 250 poo-poo it as a beginner only bike yet it seems that almost everyone here has moved down or laterally to it.

The ninjette will be in my garage for a very long time. It simply is, hands down, a fantastic bike.

It has enough power to keep experienced riders satisfied, it can cruise comfortably on the highway/freeway and has a great seating position in my opinion. It makes it great for commuting.

Ultimately, it is as you word it: A gateway drug in to the world of two wheels.

Sailariel
December 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe I`m an old school has been in motorcycling. I obviously have nothiing in common with the H-D crowd. The 250R is enough bike to get anybody in trouble if they are foolish. In one of my meditative moments last week, I calculated the miles I have ridden in the past 50 years and came out with about 700,000 miles give or take 10,000. Mind you, when I ride, I ride at a good pace--usually within the speed limit, but a level that is still stirring up the endorphins. A 650R would be nice if you want to make a cross country trip--although a 250R would be up to the task as well. I guess it`s all relative.The rep that sport bikes have as being uncomfortable is pure fiction. Any bike can be set up to the dimensions of the rider. In my bicycle shop I am always changing stems ond adjusting bikes for the rider. A sportbike can just as easily be modified by relocating pegs and shifters, brake pedals, and raising the handlebars with spacers. I can get on my bicycle and easily ride 100mi. in one day and feel no discomfort. I rode my Ninja 500mi in one day stopping for fuel and food--no problem, no stiffness. It` a very comfortable bike.

kkim
December 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Maybe I`m an old school has been in motorcycling. I obviously have nothiing in common with the H-D crowd. The 250R is enough bike to get anybody in trouble if they are foolish. In one of my meditative moments last week, I calculated the miles I have ridden in the past 50 years and came out with about 700,000 miles give or take 10,000. Mind you, when I ride, I ride at a good pace--usually within the speed limit, but a level that is still stirring up the endorphins. A 650R would be nice if you want to make a cross country trip--although a 250R would be up to the task as well. I guess it`s all relative.The rep that sport bikes have as being uncomfortable is pure fiction. Any bike can be set up to the dimensions of the rider. In my bicycle shop I am always changing stems ond adjusting bikes for the rider. A sportbike can just as easily be modified by relocating pegs and shifters, brake pedals, and raising the handlebars with spacers. I can get on my bicycle and easily ride 100mi. in one day and feel no discomfort. I rode my Ninja 500mi in one day stopping for fuel and food--no problem, no stiffness. It` a very comfortable bike.

some very basic truths in there. good post! :thumbup:

Sailariel
December 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Tony, Your Ninja is a real standout. You have really kept her up and she looks great.

Cling
December 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I also own a 06 Honda 1000rr, the power never really stops coming with that thing, and yet it has sorta lost its thrill because its my 3rd liter bike, I enjoy this new 250r and will probably enjoy it much more once I get it to the track and start cutting it up on the very tight streets of willow.

kkim
December 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I also own a 06 Honda 1000rr, the power never really stops coming with that thing, and yet it has sorta lost its thrill because its my 3rd liter bike, I enjoy this new 250r and will probably enjoy it much more once I get it to the track and start cutting it up on the very tight streets of willow.

I assume you know Richard, then? :)

Cling
December 19th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I assume you know Richard, then? :)

I don't think so? I just moved with my wife from Europe actually, I have only lived in Oxnard, CA now for about 1.5 months, I hit the streets of willow with my 1000rr as soon as I moved down here through because I couldnt pass up a 99$ track day.

kkim
December 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I don't think so? I just moved with my wife from Europe actually, I have only lived in Oxnard, CA now for about 1.5 months, I hit the streets of willow with my 1000rr as soon as I moved down here through because I couldnt pass up a 99$ track day.

If you see a guy renting 250Rs at WS, that's Richard. :) He's on this board as RaceBikeRentals (RaceBikeRentals.com)

Cling
December 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
If you see a guy renting 250Rs at WS, that's Richard. :) He's on this board as RaceBikeRentals (RaceBikeRentals.com)

Then I am sure i'll see him eventually :thumbup:

Lurkable
February 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM
The 250 is the first bike I've owned and only the second bike I've sat on (MSF). Not a day goes by that I don't think about how much fun a Hayabusa or a Ducati 1098 would be. But I've developed a real appreciation for the potential this bike has to teach me about riding.

I've decided that I love riding and that I could never go back to owning a car if it meant I had to have no motorcycle. I can't see myself ever selling the 250 even if I get a bigger bike and I fully expect the next bike I buy to be some sort of super sport. But right now my two real concerns are that I haven't been to a track day at Sears Point yet, and that my desire to hold onto the bike will outlive the bike itself (that's a scary thought). *Phew* thank god the ninjette is just a machine...if I ever had feelings like this for a girl I'd be in real trouble. :rolleyes:

aloh
February 25th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I really like the 250, but i do wish it had more power. HOwever, im only really looking to upgrade to something like a Ducati Monster, not a supersport.

Jane Honda
February 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I grew up riding dirt bikes, quads, and trials bikes, so bikes aren't strangers to me.

My first sportbike was a YZF600R, and it was like trying to corner a couch. It was so damn heavy. So, I sold it and got a CBR600F4. That bike was a bit better, but because of my accident I had, I had zero confidence.

My boyfriend bought my 250 for me as a gift, and I haven't looked back since. The only time I had a real issue with it, was when we were out on a ride. This road looked like a paved over goat trail, and it was steep and chock full of 10 mph switchbacks. I would downshift to second, and then have to upshift to 3rd. Back and forth, as I was in the break in period still.

When we got to the stop sign at the end of the hill, I yelled at the pack leader "what the hell was that?!??" :lol:

So, in all, I have no desire to trade 'down' to a bigger bike. I enjoy the weight, and the flickability of my bike. It handles great, it carries me around like no bid deal.

Cali619
February 26th, 2009, 10:31 AM
This is my first bike and have no experience on a bigger CC since the MSF ones are 250 as well. I would like to have the chance to experience a different bike and can always go back to a 250, I dont plan to sell this bike and upgrade until after a few years on it though, trying to become a good rider with this forgiving ninja.

Sailariel
February 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
When my partner and I had a Norton-Benelli-JAWA dealership in 1970, we got quite a few bikes in that people sold because they were "Overbiked" We got a 1955 Ariel Suare Four in because it kept blowing head gaskets. That bike sold in a couple months--I enjoyed riding it, even though it was backwards--Shift on the Right-one up and three down. Ditto with a Vincent. That is the only bike I have regretted selling. It was not particularly fun to ride, but had ferocious acelleration in a straight line. That bike would be worth a lot today. The JAWA 360 was a two stroke twin which handled and ran like a dream. We had a cream coloured one with gold pin striping. We eventually got a matching sidecar for it. After we put the sidecar on it, it sold very fast. If I could find a JAWA sidecar, I would seriously consider getting a green Kawa 650 and fitting it with the sidecar--also painted green. It would make an interesting sport-touring rig. People are still getting overbiked--an 18 year old kid bought a Buell 1125. He laid it down not doing a lot of damage--scuffed the exhaust and bent some pegs. Anyway, the thing scared the bejeezus out of him and he sold it for some ridiculous price. He swore he would never get on a bike again. I think that the dealer really screwed up. He could have sold him a Ninjette or a Buell Blast. The kid would still be riding and the dealer would have had a repeat customer.

NJD022588
February 28th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I really like my bike but sometimes I find myself wishing I had 50 more cc's, or 100 more cc's, maybe 1.5 times the power, and especially non-carbed...

This bike fits my budget now and I dont really think I'll be ready for a bigger bike until at least a year or two of riding.

BradtheAg
March 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Do you plan to move up to a larger bike once you "get used to" the awesome 250 power and are ready to properly ride a "real" motorcycle??

i don't own a 250 yet, but this is my plan. my ultimate goal is a 600. coming from a corvette z06 i'm very worried that the 250 won't be enough power to keep me entertained. but i want to learn to ride properly so i'm starting small. if the z06 had been my first car i'd definitely have killed myself, i imagine the same concept can be applied to motorocycles so i'm purposely limiting myself with bike #1.

sugarbear
March 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Actually I have 2 bikes now. I went with a smaller bike for a second ride.
Just got a new 2009 250R. Since it is still winter here in Michigan, I haven't been able to ride the Ninjette yet! But I am looking forward to having a nice little sport bike to enjoy once the weather cooperates... The new generation Ninja 250 caught my attention with the hot new look and rave reviews. Had to get one!:drool:
My other bike is a BMW 1150RT, a nice comfortable sport/touring ride. The BMW is perfect for long distance rides and weekend getaways. However, it's a bit big and heavy for just riding around town or commuting to and from work.
It's good to have options....
Carol

rallyegolf
March 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have my 250 for sale to move up in HP.

Sound Wave
March 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
i don't own a 250 yet, but this is my plan. my ultimate goal is a 600. coming from a corvette z06 i'm very worried that the 250 won't be enough power to keep me entertained. but i want to learn to ride properly so i'm starting small. if the z06 had been my first car i'd definitely have killed myself, i imagine the same concept can be applied to motorocycles so i'm purposely limiting myself with bike #1.

i have a turbocharged 2007 mustang gt and i was worried about the same thing. still i am glad that i started off on the ninja. it is a really fun bike, it looks great, and it is great to learn on. it handles great and can easily keep up at freeway speeds. i figured that if i ever missed the straight-line acceleration, i could just jump in my car and punch the throttle.

still, i think i may have to eventually move to a cruiser-type bike. my wife has severe rheumatoid arthritis and the riding position is too aggressive for her. i live in a condo and i have a tandem stall. i can fit two cars in there and one bike. still have a lot to learn though, so i don't plan on selling the ninja anytime soon.

grandmaster
March 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Well although I have only had my bike for 3 months I am starting to get the itch for a 600. I love the 250 and it's a blast to ride!! I am just want something that I can cruise on the freeway with without having to tuck to do 90.... yes i know i know. But here in utah there is portion on the way to St. george that they now made 85. With me and my gear for 4-5 days you can't really hold that speed to long unless your tucked. Also I have picked up my girlfriend from work in hurricane a few times and the ride sucks on the freeway with her on the back. and my gf is by no means big at 110 pounds. I really, really wish i could keep the 250 and just grab a 600, but my 250 isn't even paid off yet so I will have to sell to get another one. I still plan on it being a few months before I am ready to sell the 250, but i really can't wait to get a 600.

sharky nrk
March 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I want to pick up a 250 for a very simple reason - I can't even hope to use my 6Rs potential on the street - it is (and every other modern supersport) a damn race bike, and while it offers thrills and chills in waves - it can do jail time speeds with only a upshift or two.

I am building a older zn700 project for pennies (hopefully) to satisfy the daily cruise with the wife need but know I am going to want to have something else, something capable and fun, to ride. I have spent about 500 miles in the saddle of an '06 650R and its a GREAT bike (minus the handlebars - ewww) but still probably too much money for what I am looking to spend. I think either a used '08 250R or a used 500R (even though they are not lookers) should fill my bill.

ehhh, its just a rant anyways, I always feel the need to tinker on something

Beast
April 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
on the very tight streets of willow.

It's not that tight Jesse :)......on a 250 that is. The only time I touch the brakes are right before turn 2 and after the chicane over the hump (and I just tap them then). I was flying this past Sunday once I found my lines. Black flag on me twice for passing on the inside haha.

Let me know when you go, I'm up for another run!

1hardryder4life
April 23rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
I went the other way too. Rode bigger bikes and they are fun but this little guy gets the job done. Order of bikes Ive owned:

1993 Suzuki GSX-R600
1998 Triumph T595 (955cc)
2005 Yamaha R6
2007 Suzuki DR-400 SuperMoto
2008 Ninja 250R

tiburonsita
April 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
I have not been riding for very long so this is coming from a noob. Initially my thoughts were that I'd "upgrade" in about a year when I felt fully comfortable with my 250, but I love this bike. I've sat on many of the bigger (600) bikes and they just don't feel right to me - at least not yet. The 250 is a great size, the weight is manageable - I don't feel like it's "work" while I'm waiting for the light to change. I just got on the highway today for a short distance and felt very comfortable keeping with the flow. So while initially I was thinking I'd upgrade to a faster, bigger bike... I no longer am in that frame of mind.

mike_sema
April 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I would have to say that I feel that my 250 is great but I do a 55-60 mile round trip on the freeway to and from work 5 days a week and this is why I am going with a bigger bike, not that the bike can not keep up with traffic but in Tucson the speed limit is 75mph on I-10 and I really feel that I am doing more damage to my bike then I want to. on the other hand I will not be selling or trading the bike in I do scca auto cross and have loved doing this for many years but I would like to make this my track bike as you stated in post one it is so much fun in the twisty and I have my eyes set on an 08 zzr 600 :thumbup:

1hardryder4life
April 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
My 250R on the track makes me feel like its hurting the lil guy. Like im ringing its neck for all its worth lol. but its still tickin!

kazam58
April 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
I thought I had posted in this thread, but I guess not. For me, this bike is simply my gateway to the world of motorcycling. It is the perfect beginner bike, I am absolutely in love with and I'm keeping it till dies, I know that for sure. That being said, once I've worked my way through college I have no doubts that I will have other, bigger bikes. However, that'll be about 5 years from now, and until then, the ninjette will be my only motorcycle, so there's plenty of time for me to learn to ride first. I'll mod the hell out of this little bugger until I'm satisfied that it's uniquely mine, another reason I'll keep it forever. I feel no need to buy a bigger bike now or in the near future, but someday it will happen, I know that.

Jacksmeow
April 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
My Ninja 250 is my second bike....I also have a bigger bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan 800, which I had been riding for about 5 years. Jax also has a GSXR-600, which I rode some before I got my Ninja. Although I like all three bikes, I really love the Ninja. It really puts a smile on my face. It's FUN! It's amazing in the twisities.

Oh, gas mileage is great and the insurance is cheap. I can't imagine full coverage on two 600 cc bikes, along with the cruisers we have!

TnNinjaGirl
April 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
The Ninja 250 is my first bike. I've ridden dirt bikes before, but none of my own. Eventually I'd like to get a Ducati 848. I appreciate that bike for what it is, and what it is not. I guess I'm on the upward slope of motorcycling and not a plateau or down slope like some of the other riders are. I'd still like to upgrade and see what other options are like. That doesn't mean I'll like the Ducati or won't go back to a Ninja, but it's something I'd like to own. I have not and will not ride another bike (other than another 250) until I am 100% commited to purchasing another bike. I don't feel like I should tempt myself with the power of a bigger bike. Knowing me I'll become addicted with it and bored with my 250. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be ready for another bike. As for now, I love mine.

Beast
April 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Eventually I'd like to get a Ducati 848
250 straight to an 848....haha :) I hear it's not a bad commuter, but I would hate to see a machine that beautiful restricted to street riding.

TnNinjaGirl
April 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I doubt it will be used just for street riding. I wouldn't cage a wild animal. That's cruel and inhumane.

CC Cowboy
April 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
My gateway drug was actually a 1966 Suzuki 150 (2 stroke). I was in heaven. I wanted a new go cart after having many motorbikes and mini bikes. My dad thought I would outgrow the go cart so he got me the Suzuki. I won my first AMA trophy on that bike, I was 13.

The 250 Ninja was actually my younger son, TJ's, bike. He just let me ride it. He and his brother's gateway bikes were the PW50 and the YSR50. They were each 3 years old and would ride in the yard. We had 8 acres so it was a big yard. Little TJ is now 16 and he is riding the Suzuki GSXR 1000. He has to be with me when he rides it though (I'm not worry about him crashing, I'm worry about tickets). He been riding a 750 since last summer when he sold the 250. I miss the 250 (I'm not sure he does).

250Rocket
April 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Only drug I take.

In 2008 i went to the motorcycle show and sat on every bike. Without knowing it at the time i sat on the 2008 250R and fell in love. It fit like a glove.

I can't comment on the power as 90% + of the time i've kept it under 4.5k but they agilty is AMAZING. Took it around a round about and had a blast. Can't wait until it's broken in.

Daeldren
April 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
I have this instinctive part of me that wants to push any bike I own to its limits, and as you well know that's not smart with a 600.

So mark me as one of the other riders coming back to the 250 fold. I'd definitely love to have a nice stable of bikes eventually with a couple Race Replica's for track days but to me the small displacement bikes are more fun on the street and actually help increase your skills since you have to pay attention more to your shifting/throttle and lines to be fast.

Nickds7
April 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I plan on (maybe)moving to a Ducati Monster 696 in a year or two...
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-07/40604302.jpg
Has tons of power, but still tame...and gives me butterflys.

I would really like a streetfighter II, but I don't think I'll go for it.

SteveL
April 24th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I chose the 250R because I concluded that a 250 was a reasonable size for commuting it had a full fairing for weather protection and was a reasonable price, my one concern was that it would not have enough grunt at low rpm to run with the traffic, with out running 8Krpm or more all the time, as this would not have been pleasant for commuting. I have owned and ridden bigger bikes but here in the land of “Hills are Us” you can’t really use much of the performance of a big bike except on the main highways which I try to avoid.
I would not change the 250 but I would if something happened to it be more than likely to buy an ER 6 F my main dislikes of the 250 are the gear box and the front forks are too soft in hard down hill braking I have not bottomed them out but very close. I tested the ER 6 F last weekend the gear box is better and the front end damping is better down side more vibration and noise and 40% more expensive.

Steve

EJ30157
April 24th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Since this is one of my legal ways to get high, I often find myself checking the weather forcast daily for a nice day to ride. Need that fix.

I use to own an R6 and R1. The maintenance on those ss bike is expensive. But, I often find myself thinking of going back to the 600cc class. For those of you whom have not ridden a bigger bike, I would suggest you try them on for sizes. Don't get discourage or let some talk you into it. It's an experience you have to want to fore take yourself when you believe you are ready. Keep the 250 in case you find yourself missing the little things in life.

Flashmonkey
April 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Yea as a new rider the Ninjette is more of an "entrance" into the bigger picture of the motorcycle world. Don't get me wrong, it's more than capable on the street and for commuting purposes, but some of us "newbies" haven't gotten all of the stupid out of our systems yet. :D

That being said, my dream bike is a Triumph Speed Triple. I saw one pass the train station on my way to work a few mornings ago and I almost wet my pants (it was green btw, Kelly ;)).

hogfan83
April 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
The Ninja 250 is my first bike. I've ridden dirt bikes before, but none of my own. Eventually I'd like to get a Ducati 848. I appreciate that bike for what it is, and what it is not. I guess I'm on the upward slope of motorcycling and not a plateau or down slope like some of the other riders are. I'd still like to upgrade and see what other options are like. That doesn't mean I'll like the Ducati or won't go back to a Ninja, but it's something I'd like to own. I have not and will not ride another bike (other than another 250) until I am 100% commited to purchasing another bike. I don't feel like I should tempt myself with the power of a bigger bike. Knowing me I'll become addicted with it and bored with my 250. Hopefully in a couple of years I'll be ready for another bike. As for now, I love mine.
i was suprised with a white 08 848 about a week and a half ago and let me tell you its frickin awesome! it doesnt rattle my teeth out at 75 miles an hour and it sounds like a beast. that being said sometimes while city driving i do miss the shifting of teh 250 since all i need is second gear until about 80 mph!

tjkamper
April 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
My ninjette is great and I don't see myself parting with it anytime soon. I hadn't ridden in seven years when I rode her home. The ninjette is a big step up from the first bike I ever rode(honda trail 90) , but is nothing like the SV 650 I road when I was 18. I like the 250 because it is light and nimble.

Over the summer I plan on letting my wife build some confidence on it and once she is comforatble enough to ride regularly I probably buy a CBR 600 and my wife will ride the ninjette.

Even though the ninjette is weak compaired to the 600 cc bikes, It is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. In the short time I've had it I already have built an emotional bond to the bike and cannot see any reason I would get rid of it. :thumbup:

kazam58
April 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Even though the ninjette is weak compared to the 600 cc bikes, It is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. In the short time I've had it I already have built an emotional bond to the bike and cannot see any reason I would get rid of it. :thumbup:

That's the beauty of having this be my first bike, I have no basis of comparison, and so wish for nothing more. Anything above 6,000rpm seems like crazy fun power to me (more like power to weight ratio, but you get the idea) This is especially because my only other mode of transportation is a 4dr sedan with like 120hp. So my ninjette rips compared to that! :D

kkim
June 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
:bump:

sm0kediver
June 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
My Ninja is all the bike I need for around town, for trips to the twisties, and for commuting. Period. It doesn't come up short. But... for long days in the saddle or riding two up, I need more bike. I've done some long days on the bike lately, and the seat is torturous after a few hours, and the leg position starts to suffer too. All the bikes I have owned have been sports or dual sports, but I am seriously looking at Harleys at this point. They're not as functional performance wise, but they're better for carrying passengers and making longer trips. Forward controls and foot boards are looking more and more attractive.

CC Cowboy
June 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Jody, I just bought and sold a Dyna Super Glide (I've had many Harleys). Having a few sport bikes right now( my kids are riding them but I use whenever they are available) I miss having a Harley in the stable. My all time favorite bike was my Harley Lowrider. I'm seriously looking at getting another Dyne Super Glide Sport. I'm going to look at one next week and if I can low ball the guy into giving it away I'm going to buy it. It is in Maine so I'll have to ride it home (I'm from Daytona) but I think it will be a good ride. If you can afford to have both a cruiser and a sport bike it will make you a happy man. If you can add a dual sport and dirt bike then life will be perfect.

Elfling
June 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I got my 250 knowing full well I was in the market for a bigger bike eventually, hence the f4i. Not the latest and greatest, still being careful- didn't go with an RR or anything, I just wanted a bit more power to keep up with the guys. I also honestly just prefer fuel-injected, didn't like the carbs very much.

Have nothing against 250s, could definitely see myself on one again especially for track if it were a newer model. I don't think wanting to stick with a 250 is wrong, and i don't think wanting something bigger is wrong. Personal preference and nobody's smarter, more mature, or more experienced for making either decision. :)

And i'm with CC-everyone needs one of everything!

sm0kediver
June 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I can't really afford one of everything :(

I still have other obligations like the mortgage, electricity, groceries, kid expenses, the occasional Martin guitar...

My interests seem to be leaning towards longer trips these days. I don't want to fit in with the herd out there, plodding along on a cruiser, but it might better suit my needs.

Sound Wave
June 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
after different techniques, it doesn't seem the ninja will work for riding two up with my wife. i only have room for two cars and one bike in our tandem parking stall. she enjoys riding with me, but the pain to her knees gets unbearable at times.

we have been shopping for sports-tourers. there aren't many on the market it seems. don't want one with too big an engine. planning on taking a bmw f800st for a test ride in a few weeks. it was really comfortable for her when we sat on it in the showroom. she loves it. not a bike that gets me really excited, but if it will allow me to bring her along for rides, i will do it. would rather have the honda interceptor, but it seems that the dealers here don't bring that bike in because it is a slow seller.

sm0kediver
June 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Two up is getting to be an issue for me. Several women have wanted to go for a ride with me, and I tried it once, and it just wasn't a good fit.

kkim
June 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Gary,

I see a few for sale on CL... one of them on kauai.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=interceptor&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

That bike would serve an excellent compromise, if it fits the wife. :)

BlueRaven
June 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
On my first ride with my 250 i wanted a ZX6 right away. But now that i see i don't need more cc's i'll keep it for a year and then see if i want to upgrade next year. If i do i will keep my 250 also.

Sound Wave
June 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM
kelly, appreciate it. yeah saw those. been checking cl periodically. the one on hilo looks promising, but i don't want to have to fly there with my wife to go and look at it, then if we like it, try to work out the shipping arrangements.

noche_caliente
June 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Gary, have you thought about the Connie?

Sound Wave
June 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Gary, have you thought about the Connie?

lol. i had to google what connie means. wow..... the concours 14? seems like the jump from a 250cc sport to a 1352cc supersport tourer is quite drastic. first impression is that it seems like it may be too much bike for me to handle. but thanks for the suggestion. i am going to start researching it. it is a nice looking bike.

kkim
June 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
kelly, appreciate it. yeah saw those. been checking cl periodically. the one on hilo looks promising, but i don't want to have to fly there with my wife to go and look at it, then if we like it, try to work out the shipping arrangements.

there was a guy selling a pristine white, newer VFR800 in Mililani a few months back on CL. I was tempted myself :)... they are awesome bikes.

check the weight of the bikes you're considering.

gl
:thumbup:

noche_caliente
June 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I agree it is a big jump, but with the bike weighing more and carrying the weight of a passenger, it might not be as drastic as it seems on first glance, IDK....

backinthesaddleagain
June 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I enjoy my 250 , great for the backroads i ride, and i rarely hit the highway, but my dealer has a 2008 ZZR600 with 555 miles for $5,200. good mix of power and comfort. I was away for the weekend, hopefully dealer sold the zzr while i was away!

kkim
June 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
more weight is more weight when you come to a stop and are supporting the bike, passenger and yourself.

addy126
June 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Keeping the Kawi N-650 in mind should I decide to upgrade. The only reason being is longer distance riding and a better 2-up configuration. A little more "wind weight added" would cut a little of the meandering of the 250. That said, I love my 09 N-250. I see no need to push past 100 mph... the 250 has enough power to wrap you tightly around a tree as does any big bike. The mileage is great, cost to run minimal, and insurance easy on the pocket book. So unless I really need.. need.. that 650 I'm staying with the 250 for a long time..:D

mick37
June 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I sold my Suzuki Savage (650cc single) three weeks ago so I could buy my 09 Ninja 250.
I have always thought that 250cc was a great capacity, I do miss my Savage with the saddle bags for groceries and stuff,maybe next year I can pick up an old one cheap just for shopping. But the Ninja is THE bike for me ,it's way faster than the Savage,and handles like a dream,for the life of me I cannot fault the little ninja,for me it's perfect.
Nothing like my first 250, a 1937 "Rudge", if you missed a gear on that puppy ,you would looking back down the road for your push rods,very hairy.

NaughtyusMaximus
June 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I was originally planning on getting an SV650, but on an impulse picked up the ex250 instead. I love it so far - we'll see how things look in a few years :D

CANTFUNCTION
June 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM
This is my first motorcycle that I own or ridden. I bought the bike to learn to ride. I have been every impressed with it so far (look, handing and power). I think I have learned a lot more from riding the 250 vs 600 or 1000. That being said I have a friend that has a GSXR600 that bought his bike before me and I have way more miles that he does. It seems like he never want to ride. I just don't think he has found the enjoyment that I have found riding my little 250.

I would like to get a bigger bike maybe a ninja 650R, Suzuki GSX650F or Yamaha FZ6R. But that won't be anytime soon as I am still learning, maybe in a year or 3. Also if I do get a bigger bike I will be keeping the 250.

patw
June 15th, 2009, 11:43 AM
This is my second bike, my first was the CBR125R (don't think you can buy them in the states). The CBR125 was a spectacular bike, EFI, 4 stroke, liquid cooled, all around great technology. The only major problem I had with it was the weight, it was around 260lbs, which made it really scary to have on the highway or in any reasonable wind.

The Ninja 250 has been much better in this regard, and I pretty much take it anywhere and everywhere. I'd consider moving up to a larger bike if I could get even more stability, as long as it was comfortable. I'm thinking sport touring or something... someday.

unowned
June 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I plan on switching to a 600 next season, but not until I get my the most out of my ninja as possible.

Everyone has their own reasons for riding, be it vanity, small balls syndrome, the thrill of it, or just pure unadulterated enjoyment. I have no yet owned anything larger than the 250, though I have ridden the gixxer 600 and 09 zx6r on the track.

The thing that tears me up inside is what i'll be missing by letting go of the 250 next year, there's just so much it can teach so quickly, that a bigger bike would struggle to or not even be able to. However, as a rider with only 2 years of experience under my belt, I feel the need to explore and experiment (just like the effects that gateway drugs have on their users) with other different machines. I really wanna get into some motocross riding as well to further expand my riding skills.

beowuff
June 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I plan on keeping the 250 for commuting and local rides. I'll probably pick up something in the BMW GS family for long tours/off road riding. If the wife changes bike, I'll probably turn her 250 into a track bike.

ScorpionNinja
June 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Well this April 2009 i got my Ninja 250R (RED). Its my First motorcycle!
I picked it for a Combo of reasons...
The 61MPG *est* (im getting 63.2 - 65.7 currently after 1,537 miles)...
The LOOKS OF IT! Wow, ppl think its a 600 :thumbup:
The Cost!

Now since ive never ridden anyother Bike b4... i cant compare the bikes performence and stuff, but so far...
I find it AGILE like a Squirrel (anywhere from 10-45MPH)
Goes around a 90 degree turn with Ease! (using the right Speed)
ITS FUN AS HELL TO JUST RIDE!!!

Hmm theres many other things i can add, but most of you others already have beat me to it. :)

I plan on KEEPING my 250 until im FORCED to SELL IT! Or live to be 100+ years old (then ill donate it to the smithsonian)
In afew years id Love to get a Faster Bike, Ideally a New ZX-6R! (or a 600cc bike of any make, if the ZX-6R at the time, is crap and ugly as hell)

If thats the case, ill have a 250R for Fun and great Fuel economy, and a nice FAST powerful ZX-6R, to play with when the Day calls for it! :thumbup:

Kurosaki
June 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I don't really know what I'm going to do. I sometimes think I'll get a 600 sometime soon once I feel I'm skilled enough to use it on the track.

I'm not really interested in going fast in a straight line and not too concerned with high horsepower acceleration, so I'm really in no rush to get myself a 600 track bike.

I just want some more aftermarket support for track oriented parts... Clip ons, rearsets, etc.

Well.

I got a CBR in April

still keeping the 250.

Rode it for the first time today in about 2 months. Still a great bike.:thumbup:

kkim
June 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM
congrats on the cbr. they are terrific bikes. :thumbup:

Kurosaki
June 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah I'm really digging it a lot.

It's just right. It's fast but only when I want it to be. Keep the revs down and it doesn't have much punch and I'm 100% OK with that. But let the engine run up a bit and hold on... It's very light and very nimble. Seating position isn't TOO bad. Honda put their clip ons higher than the others.

Really different riding experience.

I think it compliments the 250 well.

It's really odd riding them back to back. Mostly the throttle response on stuff like downshifting. The 250 is lazy when you pull the throttle to blip. Gotta twist it like 50% or more. The CBR needs no more than 2-5% to blip it cleanly.

But you know, even as slow as the 250 is in comparison, the thing still gets up to speed quick enough.

Don't think I'm gonna sell it any the foreseeable future.

IlBLisSlI
June 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I'm just curious what you all think of your bikes. Do you plan to move up to a larger bike once you "get used to" the awesome 250 power and are ready to properly ride a "real" motorcycle?? Or do you feel this bike is the cat's pajamas and it is all the bike you will ever need for the rest of your life?:)

For me, I've moved from previous CBR 600s to this bike and cannot be happier. I like my new toy and think it will be with me for many years to come. I love working on and modding the bike just to get a bit more edge than what it currently has, but, for me, the real kicker is when I hit the twisties and am able to carve tight lines quickly and effortlessly compared to my previous bigger, heavier, more powerful bikes.

I'm very interested to hear what you all feel. I'm relatively new to the board, but can see the average user here is a bit more mature (read older) and sensible.

not only do i think that the 250 is the cats pajamas but i think its the bee's knees as well!
as far as it being a gateway, sure i'll buy into that. eventually i'll probably wind up getting another bike. but it will be in addition to the 250, not as a replacement. A new bike for me will serve a completely different purpose. for instance realistically i'll probably wind up buying one of my father in-law's many Harleys that he has sitting in his garage so that i can do some long distance touring. i'd only get one of those because i know he'd give me a killer price. if i were to just buy a bike new i'd probably get the new kawi concourse 1400

n4t
June 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM
http://media.motortopia.com/files/9109/vehicle/47561e1d6c231/triumph_daytona_675.jpg This is what I will be moving to at the beginning of next year when my loans are paid off :) But I WILL be keeping the 250

ScorpionNinja
June 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
http://media.motortopia.com/files/9109/vehicle/47561e1d6c231/triumph_daytona_675.jpg This is what I will be moving to at the beginning of next year when my loans are paid off :) But I WILL be keeping the 250

Wow, Sexy Bike there man! :thumbup:

matteblack
June 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I've been riding for about 9 years. The ninja 250 is the smallest displacement bike I've owned (other than my 50cc ruckus). I ride aggressively and the ninja lets me do that without getting too far past the speed limit. I can see myself wanting a bigger bike again in the future for touring, but the gas mileage, cost to own, and fun factor make the ninja 250 a mega bargain.

tinng321
June 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Initially, I was looking to buy a SV650. My friend has one and told me that since it's a v-twin it would be a little high for me and suggested that I look at the ninja 250. I searched on line and came across the pregen 250 and told him it's not what I was looking for. He knew exactly what I was looking at and told me to look at the 08+. Now, here I am with a 250. It's a great bike to start out with. Insurance is dirt cheap. It has just enough power for a daily ride. I do alot of highway riding and I think the ninja could have used a little more hp. It's weak and slow merging from the ramp. Besides that everything else seems to be very good for a 3500 bike.
I will upgrade to a cbr in 2 or 3 yrs if everything works out financially.

CC Cowboy
June 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Initially, I was looking to buy a SV650. My friend has one and told me that since it's a v-twin it would be a little high for me and suggested that I look at the ninja 250. I searched on line and came across the pregen 250 and told him it's not what I was looking for. He knew exactly what I was looking at and told me to look at the 08+. Now, here I am with a 250. It's a great bike to start out with. Insurance is dirt cheap. It has just enough power for a daily ride. I do alot of highway riding and I think the ninja could have used a little more hp. It's weak and slow merging from the ramp. Besides that everything else seems to be very good for a 3500 bike.
I will upgrade to a cbr in 2 or 3 yrs if everything works out financially.

Get some NOS. Just drink it and then pee into the gas tank. That stuff will make you go like the dickens.

kazam58
June 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Get some NOS. Just drink it and then pee into the gas tank. That stuff will make you go like the dickens.

:confused30::evil6::rotflmao:

CodE-E
June 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
My first 10 hours or so on a motorcycle were on a Honda Hornet (a sporty 600 cc street bike with 102 hp). I liked its power, but I read about how nice and easy the Ninja 250R is to ride, and considering how cheap it is, I ended up buying the it.

The only thing at the moment I'd want a bigger bike for, is more of an engine roar. But the sports exhaust I'm getting next week for my 250R will hopefully fix that. :) I'm satisfied with the 250R's power. I've only got about 2800 km under my belt with mine, and there's still much to learn for me. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade, but before I do that I've got to buy a car for the winter seasons.

beowuff
June 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
You don't need a car... You just need spiked tires!

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=SWT

Nny
June 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Count me in for one of those who had moved from a larger cc bike to a 250. I have had my 250 for about a week and 350 miles later I gotta say this bike is FANTASTIC! Once I get past that 500 mile mark I will be able to commute with it and really start piling on the miles.

My other current ride is a Harley street bob. Beautiful bike and I will never get rid of it. However, my 250 fills in those gaps that the dyna can't touch. At this point I can't see myself getting rid of the 250 either. It has plenty of power and agility to do all the things I am after for the twisties.

I have also had:
1200 sportster
1200 goldwing

Gotta agree with CC Cowboy. Having a a cruiser and a sport bike truly has made me a happy man. If I could afford a dual sport and/or a dirt bike, life would be perfect.

CC Cowboy
June 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Zach, keep it down about the Goldwing. You don't want to get labeled in a certain way.

I saw a guy pumping gas while he sat on his Goldwing. You know where the gas filler is. All I could think about was him spilling gas on his unit, jumping up from the sting, and then the bike bursting into flames. Yea I chuckled a bit (for the rest of the day).

Nny
June 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
:eek: Wow, and I thought I was lazy. I guess I just don't have the kind of dedication that guy did.
Not willing to part with "the boys" just so I dont have to stand up for 2 minutes.

sm0kediver
June 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I took Harley up on their test rides today. I rode a few, but my favorite was the Street Glide. It was a different experience. Those big Harleys redline at 5500 rpm, so that took some getting used to, but overall I was surprised at how easily sport bike skills transferred onto a bigger bike. I felt right at home on it after the first mile. The protection of the fairing wasn't something I was prepared for. That was nice. I also liked the fact that it seemed unaffected by wind or passing traffic. It just plowed on down the road. I think I could get used to a big bike, but I'm not very happy about that big sticker price. I didn't ride the Ultra Classic, but I'd consider that too.

Nny
June 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I have been over at our local HD dealer here testing those bikes out too. Took the ultra classic out. I was really impressed with how comfortable it was. Sticker price is a bit high ..but I guess any big touring bike like that will be.

After a day of riding all their bikes I gotta say I am really happy with what I have.
Though I did like the fact I was able to go grocery shopping with my goldwing.
If it wasn't for winter I wouldn't have a need for a car.

nate-bama
June 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
i like it alot...once im in second gear, i find first to second , well just launching this bike period is its downside and as i rarely look at the speedo and i dont care how fast im really going once im in the wind this feels great here in my backwoods twisties i see no traffic or cops. i run with 1200 sporsters and 600's fine

Rayme
June 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
250R is my first bike..Im the type of guy that like to change things around.. I love my 250R, it do all I need, the only reason I'd change bike would be for having something different.. I will admit that I'm really eyeing the suzuki sv650s..

Also I really loved the small yamaha v-star 250 we had at the MSF class, it had a nice exhaust tone for a 250. I can see myself with multiple old bike later on, I have no desire for the supersports, since I'm poor I'll never pay more than 4000-5000$ for any bike, lol.!

CC Cowboy
June 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
250R is my first bike..Im the type of guy that like to change things around.. I love my 250R, it do all I need, the only reason I'd change bike would be for having something different.. I will admit that I'm really eyeing the suzuki sv650s..

Also I really loved the small yamaha v-star 250 we had at the MSF class, it had a nice exhaust tone for a 250. I can see myself with multiple old bike later on, I have no desire for the supersports, since I'm poor I'll never pay more than 4000-5000$ for any bike, lol.!

New Yamaha 125 Rossi Replica. I'd love to have one but not sure I could handle the speed.

EngrNewf
June 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
This is a great thread and a confidence booster for me considering I just bought a 250 :P

gitoy
June 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM

after a quarter century hiatus from motorcycling i finally put my foot down and told my wife, "you knew i rode before we got married and now that i am retired i'll do what i damn please",...:gwgold: so that was three years and 52,000 miles ago...

put 41k on a couple of 250s and 11k on a zzr600...yes kelly, i am glad i started again on a 250, nimble and more than fast enough for the kind of riding i do...unlike the gs750 i used to ride, a barge from the late 70s...after fighting and honing your skill on a big heavy bike and finding yourself flicking through the corners on the 250, you realized that the wife is right, size does not matter...wait that did not come out right...:p...guys and gals, after manhandling and bullying the gs, the 250 is a piece of cake...:scooter2:

but i digress, got the zzr over a year ago and when it is time to go riding i usually take the 250...the zzr just attracts too much attention with its' slip on...:outlaw4:

CC Cowboy
June 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
after a quarter century hiatus from motorcycling i finally put my foot down and asked my wife, "you knew i rode before we got married and now that i am retired i'll do what i damn please, if you will let me",...:gwgold: so that was three years and 52,000 miles ago...

put 41k on a couple of 250s and 11k on a zzr600...yes kelly, i am glad i started again on a 250, nimble and more than fast enough for the kind of riding i do...unlike the gs750 i used to ride, a barge from the late 70s...after fighting and honing your skill on a big heavy bike and finding yourself flicking through the corners on the 250, you realized that the wife is right, size does not matter...wait that did not come out right...:p...guys and gals, after manhandling and bullying the gs, the 250 is a piece of cake...:scooter2:

but i digress, got the zzr over a year ago and when it is time to go riding i usually take the 250...the zzr just attracts too much attention with its' slip on...:outlaw4

Sometimes my wife even lets me ride with her and her Harley friends:

You da man!

ninjabrewer
June 20th, 2009, 10:47 AM
So I thought I would, esp after Kkim bumped it. (I've noticed he likes to bump things :D)

I'll be keeping my 250 for a while. Like several others on here, it is my first bike. I didn't start riding till last winter and was only doing it for commuting and 60 MPG. But after getting it, I started just riding around to get used to it before I started riding to work, and found that it is a blast to ....just .....ride. I thought it would be waaay underpowered when I got it here to socal. But the ride from the port in San Diego changed my thinking on that. Although I had it rev'ing in 5 digits, it didn't take much to be going 80 and keeping up with traffic on the I-5. Before I got this one from a friend that was mvg up to a H-D road king, I was looking REAL seriously at a Vulcan 500. I sat on it in the showroom and, OMG, it was so comfortable. I don't regret getting the ninjette, but like several others, I wouldn't mind having a cruiser, if only to be able to take SWMBO with me on a ride. Jr is always wanting to go for ride, but momma put her foot down and said no way was I taking her baby on a motorcycle. Another bike that I have fell in lust, oops sorry, love, with is the Triumph Daytona triple. Sat on the 2010SE and was almost ready to start signing papers. BUT, and that is a big but, I could barely touch my toes on the ground, so unless I grow a few more inches, and at 43 that likely isn't going to happen (maybe out, but not up), I will have to look at the pictures.

Maybe in the future I may get a bigger bike, but for now, my ninjette suits me fine.

NB

Plus, I don't believe I need a big bike to compensate for a little......never mind, you know. :eek:

noche_caliente
June 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Plus, I don't believe I need a big bike to compensate for a little......never mind, you know. :eek:

For me, that reasoning is a moot point anyway - there isn't a bike big enough to compensate for nothing :p

ninjabrewer
June 20th, 2009, 11:44 AM
For me, that reasoning is a moot point anyway - there isn't a bike big enough to compensate for nothing :p

:rotflmao:

tylerdurden119
June 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have moved up, but not for the lack of power or handling. It was for plain comfort. I'm 6'3 and the bike was just a bit too small, was murder on long highway riding, tucked in. If the seat to peg height was just a bit bigger i woulda kept her. I wound up gettin a zx 6r to keep it in the kawi fam. I do miss how i could flick her around but the 6 isn't that far off especially for a big guy. I thought i could manage with the tight cockpit but just couldn't take it anymore.

headshrink
June 21st, 2009, 02:51 AM
I would like the new 650r, but I really want to hold onto my 250r.... in case the 650r has to go back. It would also be nice to have in case I want to ride with a less experienced rider, who has no bike (very short list I would trust).

Wife said I could get the 650r when the 250r was paid off, which would be now but we underestimated the cost of gear, maintenance, farkles, etc. BUT, the pilot's license may have to take priority over another bike, since I do already have "the cat's pajamas," as Kelly says.

sm0kediver
June 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM
It would also be nice to have in case I want to ride with a less experienced rider, who has no bike

:confused:

jola
June 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
It is a gateway bike depending on the riding you want to specialize in. For an in town commuter, I don't see a better option out there. It is enjoyable, peppy, stylish, efficient, and inexpensive, relative to bigger bikes.

However, I just came back from a 150 mile jaunt on the North Dakota highways with significant crosswinds. If I were going to be a cross country tourer, this bike would not be on my list. Props to you ladies and gentlemen that can take these touring!

headshrink
June 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
:confused:

why not?

Apex
June 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM
This is a great thread and a confidence booster for me considering I just bought a 250 :P
250's rock.

I want a new bike. I want a brand new ZX6R, but I don't want to give up the little 250. It is a blast, and cheap to own/maintain.

LazinCajun
September 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I originally thought I'd get the 250 as a gateway/learner bike. After riding it for ~500 miles, I'm not sure that I'll need any more bike unless I end up wanting to do long rides on highways.

I love this little bike!

zev42
September 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
I want a 600 sooo bad, but I'm afraid. :( I feel like I can barely handle my 250, lol!

1.) Anytime I'm parked on a slope, my feet can't touch the ground, so I usually have someone help me so I can get off the bike. When I'm ready to leave, I usually have someone turn my bike around and face it towards the decline so I can hop on and take off. I'm sure most of you are probably scratching your heads and wondering "WTF is this girl talking about?!" but I'm sure there are a few very-vertically-challened people out there with the same problem :D

2.) When I dropped my bike, my shifter bent inward. I couldn't bend it out myself, but luckily I always ride in a group, and one of them was able to un-bend the shifter.

3.) I'm still having problems putting the bike up on the rear stand. I feel like I have no muscles!

4.) Ever since my low side, I've felt terrified with the twisties. I love the twisties, but lately, when I even THINK about riding through the twisties, I start dry-heaving (I must be crazy.) When I get past the dry-heaving, I'm out in the twisties, and I get ready to go through turns, panic-mode takes over and my body clenches up as if it's waiting to hit the ground. I'm trying to fix this, but it seems easier said than done.

Ok now you all probably think I'm a short, weak, nutcase. I can assure you I'm not a midget (legally), I have enough muscle just to get around, and I'm not psychotic. :thumbup:

Talonne
September 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
The 250 is my first bike, and I've only had it a month. I did my first road trip (240km) a couple weekends ago and didn't find the bike uncomfortable at all! I even got to experience the "semi-truck wind blast" and could handle it fine, even though both the bike and I are lightweights. (Really scary being suddenly hit by a wall of air though!)

I do lust over other bikes, but then the reality check sets in: Even if I eventually DO use the 250 to its fullest extent and have all the skills I need for a larger bike, I will not be able to physically handle one. I am too f*cking short.

headshrink
September 23rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
It's funny how many of those who still do want a bigger bike, if they can afford too, still hold onto their 250r. Not to mention those who return to the 250r after owning 600+ bikes.

This is one of the few things I have purchased with ZERO regret or questioning, "what if" or "should I have bought..." The funny thing is, I always over research everything, if that is possible, but my search that led me to the 250r (2008) was uncharacteristically short.

Talonne
September 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
1.) Anytime I'm parked on a slope, my feet can't touch the ground, so I usually have someone help me so I can get off the bike. When I'm ready to leave, I usually have someone turn my bike around and face it towards the decline so I can hop on and take off. I'm sure most of you are probably scratching your heads and wondering "WTF is this girl talking about?!" but I'm sure there are a few very-vertically-challened people out there with the same problem :D

*raises short arm*

I JUST posted about this issue in the n00bs thread... I have issues getting over the curb (getting off the driveway) because my feet are dangling. My boyfriend's been backing my bike out every single time I want to ride.

rockNroll
September 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
I will not be able to physically handle one. I am too f*cking short.

Sure you'll be able to handle one! Ever hear of Danny Pedrosa? He races MotoGP. He's so small he can't lift his race bike if it falls over, he can't touch the ground when sitting on the bike and I think he eats for free at Denny's with a paid adult meal :D

I used to ride with a guy in PA that could only put one foot down when he came to a stop... I don't recall his actual height. He was on an old Ninja 750 back then.

Talonne
September 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Sure you'll be able to handle one! Ever hear of Danny Pedrosa? He races MotoGP. He's so small he can't lift his race bike if it falls over, he can't touch the ground when sitting on the bike and I think he eats for free at Denny's with a paid adult meal :D

LOL... He is my height exactly. The bike he started racing on has a pretty short seat height, though I don't know about the MotoGP ones...

I can't even lift a Honda CBR125.

bobaab
September 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
*raises short arm*

I JUST posted about this issue in the n00bs thread... I have issues getting over the curb (getting off the driveway) because my feet are dangling. My boyfriend's been backing my bike out every single time I want to ride.

For riders like you guys, you need to consider lowering the bike or other ways to make your feet touch the ground. Itll be way more comfortable!

Please, take your time and read through this! Itll make life on your 250 much more relaxed.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Am_I_too_small_for_this_motorcycle%3F

Even though its for the earlier generation 250, you can take most of the ideas from it and apply it to newer gens, if thats what you ride. Stay safe :thumbup:

Jam3s
September 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM

i bought my 09 250 in march and now have 3000 city miles on it. i love it to death! it will never leave my garage.... ever. Motorcycling is in my family so i had to get one and am now hooked for life. But as much as i do love the 250. Even though i am married man i still am a dumb young stud and if we weren't so poor "im a mechanic and my wife's a waitress" i would have a ducati 1198 S Type R Sti L twin monster. But for now the 250 is more than enough for me. And even if i had a super mega bike i still think that every time i hop on the ninjette i will smile and then bounce every gear off the rev limiter with my knee and elbow down ;)

MtnCruiser
September 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I've owned all kinds of bikes over the years so I would not say that the 250 is a "Gateway" bike for me. My wife and I both ride and she has always preferred cruisers. I have owned several cruisers but I personally prefer a standard type seating position, the cruiser slump takes a toll on my lower back after I ride for a while. My wife had to take a break from riding her own bike for a while due to medical reason. When the Dr. released her to ride earlier this year I talked her into giving the 250 a try so I immediately found a good deal on 2 2004's before she changed her mind. Within a couple of trips to the Mtns. I think she has been converted. The 250's work out great for us. Most of our riding is in the NE Ga Mtns so the maneuverability of the 250 is awesome. I use the bike as my primary transportation most of the year so the fuel mileage and inexpensive maintenence. My wife is more of a fair weather rider so when we take longer trips we usually haul the bikes, it is great to be able to load both bikes into the back of my Quad Cab Dakota and I have a lightweight 3 rail trailer that I can haul the bikes on when I take the Grand Cherokee.

Sometimes we talk about moving up to a bigger bike. I would like to have a bike with a more up to date look and there are times when I would like to have a little more power. Many times I find myself stuck behind slower moving vehicles that I would feel more comfortable passing if I had just a little more power. I would love to see someone come out with a bike that would fill the void between the 250 and the 600cc bikes. If Kawasaki would fit their 400cc ZR-X engine into a New-Gen 250 frame I would go out right now and put a deposit down on 2 of them, I think that could very well be my perfect all around bike.

gogoKawi
September 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
I love how varied the answers are here. I assumed everyone was going to say they are ready to upgrade. I see I was way off...

I guess this hits home for me because I am so conflicted about my 250. It's my first bike. I've only had it for 3 months. But I realize it's not meeting expectations. Power is a part of the equation. But, it's mainly because I know that I am going to have to spend a decent amount of money and time to get the bike exactly where I want it: Clip-ons, exhaust, tires, rearsets, windshield, and various tweaks like shimming. Money-wise, it's in the 600 territory when it's all done.

To be honest, I got the 250 because of peer-pressure. Everyone kept saying: "You need to start with a smaller bike." "A 600 is going to jump from under you since you are just learning how to ride." "You are going to die since you don't know how to handle that power." So, I caved and got the 250. Now that I've been riding for a bit, I can say that all of those things said about the larger bikes are true, but also true for the 250. You are just as likely to get in an accident, go down, or die on the 250. In some cases, I think you are more likely, but that's a whole different topic.

I'm hoping my attitude about the bike will change once I move back to DC. I like riding it. And as most people say, it's a blast! I just don't think South Florida is the place to have a 250.

RED_09
September 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
I don't think I will step up to something bigger for many reasons. First, the 250 is just plain fun, abosolutely a blast to ride! I have ridden bigger sport bikes from a 600rr to a bandit 1200, and one thing is constant - temptation with all that power. I know my personality and its just too tough to control, human nature man. With that being said, the 250 looks great, handles great, and is LIGHT! I love being able to flick this thing around with no effort. I can hop on, and take off and use everything the bike has to offer on a daily basis - heck it has no torque so I have too! Also, with the driving laws so strict these days, and always having records with computers and what not, its not worth losing your license or even worse your life with a much much much faster rocket. At the end of the day it comes down to that old cliche to many people who appear not to be secure in their being - "who's --ck is bigger" I hate to say it but it's true. I find it humorous when people eagerly ask me what I ride and when I reply a 250 they look like they just got punched in the groin and walk away. Another example, one of my co-workers rides an r1 and he will never ever ever use the potential of that bike. I have asked him so are you going to do some track days with that beast and his reply is "nope".......so what do you need a liter bike for to putter back and forth to work from??? Oh well, maybe I am over simplifying peoples wants or needs with bikes.....one thing is for sure though, its clear to me what I want and need from riding.:thumbup:

jasonfromca
September 24th, 2009, 12:28 AM
The 250 is my first bike and I plan on getting a bigger one at some point. I still need a lot of practice before that happens. I don't like having to shift so often when I'm driving around town (not really the case on twistys). I'm thinking about a CBR600 although I really like the look of the 1000s. I'm just afraid that the bike won't be as comfortable as the 250. I've sat on some bigger ones (older models) and they were really fat compared to the 250.

sharky nrk
September 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM

I used to ride with a guy in PA that could only put one foot down when he came to a stop... I don't recall his actual height. He was on an old Ninja 750 back then.

I actually sat and watched that exact thing at Indy - I was sitting on the corner he went down in and had to watch him stuggle to get the bike up while everyone and their uncle ran by and away - it was rough.

adouglas
September 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I'm not sure that I'll need any more bike unless I end up wanting to do long rides on highways.

Do you actually know you can't do long rides on highways from personal experience or are you making an assumption?

I just did a 2600 mile, 13-day, 11-state tour on my newgen a few weeks ago.

I still don't think I really need anything bigger. I was comfortable and the bike did just fine.

Shed preconceived notions. That's the key.

Think objectively. Judge based on fact and direct experience, not mob consensus. Think your own thoughts and ride your own ride.

Flashmonkey
September 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I'm just afraid that the bike won't be as comfortable as the 250. I've sat on some bigger ones (older models) and they were really fat compared to the 250.

It won't be....not even close. Whenever I jump from my gixxer to my 250, it's the same feeling I get when i plunk down on the couch after a bout in the gym doing deadlifts.

Maybe I'm still getting used to the positioning, but that aggressive leaned over stance makes working the rear brake a lot more painful too. I'm working my butt off at stoplights haha. :)

adouglas
September 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Sure you'll be able to handle one! Ever hear of Danny Pedrosa? He races MotoGP. He's so small he can't lift his race bike if it falls over, he can't touch the ground when sitting on the bike and I think he eats for free at Denny's with a paid adult meal

MotoGP riders don't have to maneuver their own bikes. When they pull into the pits a crewmember catches them and holds the bike up. Same when they launch. The only time they have to put a foot down is on the grid.

Us mere mortals have to deal with crowned roads, backing the bike up against slopes and on crushed stone, etc. etc. etc. Riding is not the problem. Moving the bike around while not riding is.

I've had a bike that i could only tiptoe, and I MUCH prefer being able get my feet down. Makes things vastly more user-friendly. My driveway has a very mild slope to it, and I have to back the bike out of my garage and turn it around manually before I can ride off. With a tall bike it was a huge PITA and I did indeed drop the bike once or twice doing it. With my 250 it's a piece of cake, and it's all because the Ninjette is a little bit shorter.

Something I'd really like to see all these guys who are tall enough that they don't have any problem try is sitting on a cushion thick enough to force them to tiptoe, and have them maneuver the bike around. Believe me, it gets old fast.

To me a bike that's so tall I can't put my foot down is like buying a pair of pants four inches too long. Sure you can turn the cuffs up and look like Opie... or you can just buy a pair that fits you in the first place.

Talonne
September 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Something I'd really like to see all these guys who are tall enough that they don't have any problem try is sitting on a cushion thick enough to force them to tiptoe, and have them maneuver the bike around. Believe me, it gets old fast.

Amen... I hate being told that I can ride "anything" if I just slide my ass off the seat and tiptoe on 1 foot while holding up a 400 lb thing. My boyfriend is one of these tall people and we found ONE bike at the dealership that he was tiptoe on. He felt awkward just sitting on it in the showroom. LOL

I really wish they'd make sportbikes with lower seat heights. It doesn't hurt the tall people much as long as the footpeg positioning doesn't cramp them. ;P

For now, my only available option is the 250 (and I'm not flat-footed on it), unless I can lower something else quite a bit. Bigger bikes are really WIDE too. :/

adouglas
September 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I'd like to see more bikes made available with a few optional seats. Configure the frame so that a "short" seat will result in a seat height about that of the Ninjette, a "medium" seat would be an inch higher (typical height for some sport bikes) and a "tall" seat would be an inch above that (to give that absurd 32.5-inch-ish height you see on bikes like the Yamaha R6).

Some BMWs have optional short seats.

Kawasaki does in fact offer an optional "short" seat for the 650R, but they want almost $400 for it!!!!

Flashmonkey
September 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
MotoGP riders don't have to maneuver their own bikes. When they pull into the pits a crewmember catches them and holds the bike up. Same when they launch. The only time they have to put a foot down is on the grid.

Us mere mortals have to deal with crowned roads, backing the bike up against slopes and on crushed stone, etc. etc. etc. Riding is not the problem. Moving the bike around while not riding is.

That right there is a great point. Supersports are brutal in slow moving traffic. Generally speaking, they're fantastic at speed, but the slower you're going, the more muscle you have to put into maneuvering the bike and keeping it stable. Don't forget that your feet are also out behind you, instead of directly under your body. Less leverage.

zev42
September 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Amen... I hate being told that I can ride "anything" if I just slide my ass off the seat and tiptoe on 1 foot while holding up a 400 lb thing. My boyfriend is one of these tall people and we found ONE bike at the dealership that he was tiptoe on. He felt awkward just sitting on it in the showroom. LOL

I really wish they'd make sportbikes with lower seat heights. It doesn't hurt the tall people much as long as the footpeg positioning doesn't cramp them. ;P

For now, my only available option is the 250 (and I'm not flat-footed on it), unless I can lower something else quite a bit. Bigger bikes are really WIDE too. :/

:whatshesaid:

Talonne
September 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Kawasaki does in fact offer an optional "short" seat for the 650R, but they want almost $400 for it!!!!

How much height do you lose with it? If it's 2 inches or greater, it's definitely something I would consider despite the cost! 1 measly inch would not be worth it.

edwinmcq
September 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I was headed up to Howard U. yesterday. Going up this big ass hill and as I got to the top I came up to a big orange Busa. It's 2:00PM , 84 degrees, 95% Humidity, on asphalt, on a hill, in stop and go traffic and in DC. What do you want to be riding Ninja 250 or belly flopping a Busa? The dude looked like he was going to die.

Sound Wave
September 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
How much height do you lose with it? If it's 2 inches or greater, it's definitely something I would consider despite the cost! 1 measly inch would not be worth it.

i know for the bmw f800st, the stock seat height is 32.3 inches. with the lower seat it is 31.1 inches and with the low suspension option, it is 29.9 inches.

i was seriously considering purchasing that bike. somehow, the 29.9 inches seemed a lot lower than my 09 ninja. i had a lot more bend in my knee.

the lower seat is a no cost option and the lower suspension is a $175 option. the only thing is that you lose the center stand if you go with the lower suspension option.

rockNroll
September 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I've had a bike that i could only tiptoe, and I MUCH prefer being able get my feet down. Makes things vastly more user-friendly. My driveway has a very mild slope to it, and I have to back the bike out of my garage and turn it around manually before I can ride off. With a tall bike it was a huge PITA and I did indeed drop the bike once or twice doing it. With my 250 it's a piece of cake, and it's all because the Ninjette is a little bit shorter.

To me a bike that's so tall I can't put my foot down is like buying a pair of pants four inches too long. Sure you can turn the cuffs up and look like Opie... or you can just buy a pair that fits you in the first place.

He also rides street bikes on which he can't reach the ground with both feet and his Moto GP crew doesn't follow him around, but that really isn't the issue. My post was more of a "think positive if you really want something" because of the frustration she posted. Pedrosa was just a humorous example. Many people move thier bikes around by walking beside it, then mounting it to ride away because they can't reach the ground with both feet while mounted... it's far from uncommon.

Talonne, if telling you that you could do it made you mad, I apologize, it wasn't my intention... I was only trying to throw a "positive- funny" thought at the subject.

DarkNinja52
September 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM
i love my 250, but ive never been on anything bigger and would definitely like to try some bigger bikes out one day, so i really can't say yet. chances are ill like teh 250 the best because im not a big guy and dont think i need that much power in a bike, but im not going to completely avoid anything bigger

Talonne
September 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Talonne, if telling you that you could do it made you mad, I apologize, it wasn't my intention... I was only trying to throw a "positive- funny" thought at the subject.

No no! It wasn't your comment I was referring to. Putting only one foot down is something I can do now and it's how I deal with the 250. The way people suggest that I handle larger bikes just seems kind of insane to me, you know? Easy enough for them to say -- they'll never ever have to slide right off the bike and balance on a toe! And even if I could master that, I'd have a hell of a time trying to park.

Please don't apologize. :)

Alex
September 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Don't worry, there are some bikes out there that everyone but Shaq needs to deal with in the same way. Check out Annie sitting on the HP2:

http://www.ciurczak.com/photos/62538034_7UEJD-L.jpg

Both feet dangling 6"+ off of the ground. No, she didn't ride it that day. :) I couldn't touch on either side either when on the kickstand, but was a little closer than she was. I don't think anyone would postulate that it's a fantastic idea that people can't reach the ground comfortably, it's just a matter of packaging and design choices on many modern bikes that dictate a higher seat. What it comes down to sometimes for owners at the end of the process, is a determination of the lesser of two evils; lowering the bike to make it more comfortable while moving around at a stop, and accepting the lessened performance, capabilities, and maybe comfort while the bike is in motion and reaching the ground isn't a factor. It's a bit of a trade-off, and I don't think anyone faults anybody for dealing with the trade-off in a way that works best for them; I think the only pushback is intended to make sure those that are making those decisions are aware of the trade-offs, that's all.

MtnCruiser
September 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I love how varied the answers are here. I assumed everyone was going to say they are ready to upgrade. I see I was way off...

I guess this hits home for me because I am so conflicted about my 250. It's my first bike. I've only had it for 3 months. But I realize it's not meeting expectations. Power is a part of the equation. But, it's mainly because I know that I am going to have to spend a decent amount of money and time to get the bike exactly where I want it: Clip-ons, exhaust, tires, rearsets, windshield, and various tweaks like shimming. Money-wise, it's in the 600 territory when it's all done.

To be honest, I got the 250 because of peer-pressure. Everyone kept saying: "You need to start with a smaller bike." "A 600 is going to jump from under you since you are just learning how to ride." "You are going to die since you don't know how to handle that power." So, I caved and got the 250. Now that I've been riding for a bit, I can say that all of those things said about the larger bikes are true, but also true for the 250. You are just as likely to get in an accident, go down, or die on the 250. In some cases, I think you are more likely, but that's a whole different topic.

I'm hoping my attitude about the bike will change once I move back to DC. I like riding it. And as most people say, it's a blast! I just don't think South Florida is the place to have a 250.

If you think you will end up spending a lot of money on the Ninja just wait until you move up to a bigger bike. You'll end up wanting to make changes to it such as power commanders, steering stabilizers etc and most of the parts are much more expensive than parts for the 250. The 600's can have a voracious appetite for tires and they can cost as much as 2 - 3 times what a set of tires cost for the 250. On top of all of that you have to add in higher insurance cost, lower fuel mileage. etc.

As for being just as likely to get in an accident, go down, or die on the 250... When you actually get to take a ride on an RR and take it up to redline through a couple of gears your outlook on that might change.

I don't think South Florida is honestly a good place to have any kind of motorcycle. It's too hot and bikes and sand don't go well together. A sportbike of any kind is pretty much wasted there, the only good curves you can find are on an offramp.

backinthesaddleagain
September 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Some good curves on the beach too.

Nevrfastenuf
September 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I love my 250 and I hope to keep it when I get another bike, but I will have to save lots of pennies because I have my heart set on one of these:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=245&pictureid=2322

I love long distance rides and I can't find a bike I would like to have more than a BMW 1200 rt. The styling, weight, handling and power are all exactly what I'm looking for :D

Alex
September 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM
BMW 1200 rt.

beowuff
September 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I love long distance rides and I can't find a bike I would like to have more than a BMW 1200 rt. The styling, weight, handling and power are all exactly what I'm looking for :D

Very nice! I'm looking at the GS version. Will be a long time till the pennies are saved up for that... But, I'll always have a 250.

Nevrfastenuf
September 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM

All this time I hadn't noticed your list of bikes below your name :o...how do you like your BMW?

welcome2thedawn
September 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
i wish i could just have a bike collection and ride whatever i want whenever i feel like it...but since this is real life....i was getting ready to buy a 07 gsx-r600...great bike...it's as light as the ninja...i was on my way with cash in hand and when i thought about having to sell my bike i just couldn't do it....i still really want that gsx-r but giving up my ninja for it....not yet...maybe around christmas when i can get a super deal....or next summer...who knows...i have done everything i can to make my bike more like a 600 but the botton line is it's still a 250...it's fun and i love it...but is it enough to keep me satisfied forever....no

Alex
September 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
how do you like your BMW?

Fun bike! :) More info on what I've done to that machine right up here (http://www.cal24.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133)...

kkim
September 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
....i was getting ready to buy a 07 gsx-r600...great bike...it's as light as the ninja

um, not really. it's a good 70lbs or more heavier than the 250.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 Comparison
Unchanged for 2007, the Suzuki GSX-R600 will still give any of these Supersport bikes a run for its money.2007 Suzuki GSX-R600MSRP: $8,899Weight: 407 lbs (empty tank)Weight Distribution: 51.7% F (w/full tank)Peak HP: 101.8 @ 13,400 rpmPeak Torque: 43.2 lb-ft @ 11,100 rpm1/4-mile: 10.75 @ 132.8…

welcome2thedawn
September 26th, 2009, 01:10 AM
um, not really. it's a good 70lbs or more heavier than the 250.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 Comparison
Unchanged for 2007, the Suzuki GSX-R600 will still give any of these Supersport bikes a run for its money.2007 Suzuki GSX-R600MSRP: $8,899Weight: 407 lbs (empty tank)Weight Distribution: 51.7% F (w/full tank)Peak HP: 101.8 @ 13,400 rpmPeak Torque: 43.2 lb-ft @ 11,100 rpm1/4-mile: 10.75 @ 132.8…

it's acually 354lb http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/GSX-R600/2007/GSXR600.aspx compared to the ninja at 333 http://www.kawasaki.com/PRODUCTS/product-specifications.aspx?id=263

kkim
September 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
you shouldn't go by manufactures claims... they all lie. :)

welcome2thedawn
September 26th, 2009, 03:31 AM

bastards!!!

rockNroll
September 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
bastards!!!

Potty fingers!!

Flashmonkey
September 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM

That's probably the listed dry weight as well (which is usually exaggerated). I believe that the lightest 2009 model middle weight supersport weighed in at like 420lbs soaking wet....and it wasn't the gixxer. :D

andrewexd
September 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I want to upgrade to a cbr600rr eventually... If I could afford to I would keep the ninja but I can't. :(

:dance::dance:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/2007HondaCBR600RR-001.jpg/800px-2007HondaCBR600RR-001.jpg

killerkay3
October 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I want to upgrade to a cbr600rr eventually... If I could afford to I would keep the ninja but I can't. :(

:dance::dance:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/2007HondaCBR600RR-001.jpg/800px-2007HondaCBR600RR-001.jpg

wut he siad

Reswob
October 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
The 250 is a great bike, but after a little over a year of riding I really wish the bike had fuel injection, a more aggressive riding position, and of course a tad more power.

As soon as I have 10g's to drop on a new toy (which isn't likely to be anytime soon at all) I'm moving to a Triumph Daytona 675, and probably giving the little Ninja to a family member to start them on a 2-wheel addiction!

CZroe
October 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
After 10,000 miles, I think I'm comfortably able to say that I'll stick with this bike as long as it sticks with me. :) If I had unlimited funds I'd add an '09+ 650R, but I just don't think I could ever replace it with one... no sir.

overload
October 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I'll be honest here ... i went from a 125 to the ninjette and maybe in a year or two i might make the jump up to either a zx-6r or a 600RR ... also personally i think that if you gonna spend $14000+ on a bike it HAS to be able to pull you from 0 to 120KM/h in a short space of time to fight its way on the freeway ... i'm not a squid but i definitely enjoy riding on the freeway with a big engine ...

ninjabrewer
October 26th, 2009, 07:57 AM
As soon as I have 10g's to drop on a new toy (which isn't likely to be anytime soon at all) I'm moving to a Triumph Daytona 675, and probably giving the little Ninja to a family member to start them on a 2-wheel addiction!

:whathesaid:

I like the way you think.

nb

danknation
October 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I feel like a giant on a lawnmower riding down the highway on the 250, it simply does not have enough power. In Texas the average highway cruising speed is 75 or more on highways. If some idiot comes running up on my tail(which happens a lot) I don't even have the power to speed up and move out of his way.

I've driven Honda Civics that have more power and ability to move out of the 18 wheeler kill zone when need be. I am simply not satisifed with the dinky power of this thing. I've been riding it for four months on top of sporadic experience before that and will continue riding through the winter. When spring rolls around it's time for a zx-6 and my misses to have her way with the ninjette.

adouglas
October 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM
It bears mentioning here that a bike this small, light and low-powered is hugely sensitive to the size of the rider -- both physical stature and weight. Comments like "it's way too underpowered" or "it's got plenty of power" really need to be taken in context.

I'm considerably below average size for an American male (5'7" if I eat my Wheaties, and about 175 lbs.). Therefore there's a lot less aerodynamic drag because I'm physically smaller than most guys, and perhaps less weight to lug because I'm lighter than many.

I find the Ninjette to be adequate on the highway. If I tuck (i.e., retract the big air brake that is my torso) I can get a lot more acceleration out of it, even starting at 75 mph, than I can out of my car. (No, I don't drive a muscle car... I drive a Honda Fit, which is exactly what the Civic used to be 20 years ago in terms of size and power -- I owned one of those, too.)

When talking about safety on the highway, my benchmark isn't other bikes. It's cars. I can travel safely on the highway in my car. I can get out of the way, pass when I need to, etc. etc. If my bike can do the same or better, then it has sufficient power. Maybe not enough power to be hugely fun, but sufficient. For me, the Ninjette passes that test.

The 250 can carry 375 pounds, IIRC. Figure out what fraction of that your weight is. If you took that Honda Civic you mentioned and loaded it proportionately, I bet it wouldn't accelerate worth squat, either.

CZroe
October 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
How's this for context? I weight close to 250lbs and I have to back off the throttle constantly. I zip around in and out of traffic commuting on the freeways every day and have more than enough "passing power." This is bone-stock too. I HIGHLY doubt that anyone larger than me is riding and making those comments, and these are my impressions at almost 10K miles with a cross-country trip thrown in there, so I'd say that it has MORE than enough power.

mikedabike64
October 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I came down fom a cbr 900rr to my 250, I d love to get my hand on a 08 or 09 250 eventually, the roads around here are no more then 60 mph twesties and I cant exploit the 250, or ride it to its full capacity, so who am I kidding, the 250s just too much fun & there's always something new to learn on it

danknation
October 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Who wants to tuck or click it down a gear just to make a pass? I'm 6'0 175. It's just not powerful enough for me. I cannot comprehend how you have to back off the throttle in traffic? I have to romp on it in in 1st and 2nd just to stay with the flow of traffic around here.

Also, another reason to go bigger, so I dont have to run wide open throttle in a tuck in 6th just to cruise the highway. It's inconvenient and uncomfortable. I've done the same trips on friends GSXR and R6 with incredible improvement. Not only does it have enough power to move out of people's way but it also doesn't take every last bit of power to ride into a slight headwind at 75-80mph. On the bigger bikes I can ride completely upright, comfortably, for 50 miles down the highway doing 80. It is smooth as can be and not bobbing all around from wind like the 250.

CZroe
October 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I spent four hours zipping faster than everyone else yesterday at 80-90+ MPH indicated, backing off to stay away from 100MPH. I consistently moved faster than traffic. I half-tucked ONCE when I was having fun by taking an exit that runs parallel to the freeway before returning (didn't even lay down on my tank bag). I was just trying to see how many more people I could pass that way rather than staying on the freeway. I was loaded down with heavy tools from Harbor Freight but I even had to slow down to merge and traffic was still at 80+ indicated. I did not down shift to make any pass that day.

Anyone who "needs" more passing power is just greedy or not satisfied with "more than enough." It's not a bad thing, but it's not truly a "need." It's just the same as driving a cage... some people gotta have expensive sports cars even though your average performance car has more than enough passing power. You don't really NEED it... you WANT it.

beowuff
October 26th, 2009, 09:59 AM
How's this for context? I weight close to 250lbs and I have to back off the throttle constantly. I zip around in and out of traffic commuting on the freeways every day and have more than enough "passing power." This is bone-stock too. I HIGHLY doubt that anyone larger than me is riding and making those comments, and these are my impressions at almost 10K miles with a cross-country trip thrown in there, so I'd say that it has MORE than enough power.

I have to second this. I'm 5'9" and ~240 lbs. I also often strap a heavy bag to the back and am always wearing full gear. No issues at all with the power on the 250. I often ride the freeway to work. Even against the wind I have no issues. Maybe the bikes you guys got weren't assembled right? I don't know, but I just can't comprehend why people that are so much lighter then me have a "power" issue. This thing is FAST! I usually do 70 around here on the freeway and have plenty of throttle/speed to pass, if needed.

If you are just looking for an excuse to upgrade, then just upgrade already.

EDIT: I'm having Deja vu... Didn't we already have this conversation in another thread???

killerkay3
October 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Who wants to tuck or click it down a gear just to make a pass? I'm 6'0 175. It's just not powerful enough for me. I cannot comprehend how you have to back off the throttle in traffic? I have to romp on it in in 1st and 2nd just to stay with the flow of traffic around here.

Also, another reason to go bigger, so I dont have to run wide open throttle in a tuck in 6th just to cruise the highway. It's inconvenient and uncomfortable. I've done the same trips on friends GSXR and R6 with incredible improvement. Not only does it have enough power to move out of people's way but it also doesn't take every last bit of power to ride into a slight headwind at 75-80mph. On the bigger bikes I can ride completely upright, comfortably, for 50 miles down the highway doing 80. It is smooth as can be and not bobbing all around from wind like the 250.

you should have done some research before buying your bike then

rockNroll
October 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I spent four hours zipping faster than everyone else yesterday at 80-90+ MPH indicated, backing off to stay away from 100MPH. I consistently moved faster than traffic. I tucked ONCE when I was having fun by taking an exit that runs parallel to the freeway before returning. I was just trying to see how many more people I could pass that way rather than staying on the freeway. I even had to slow down to merge and traffic was still at 80+ indicated. I did not down shift to make any pass that day.

Anyone who "needs" more passing power is just greedy or not satisfied with "more than enough." It's not a bad thing, but it's not truly a "need." It's just the same as driving a cage... some people gotta have expensive sports cars even though your average performance car has more than enough passing power. You don't really NEED it... you WANT it.

Some people do "NEED" more passing power than others. A 250 Ninja is far from "more than enough." It's closer to "just enough to get you by." It's nothing like driving a cage. I just might really NEED it... not just WANT it.
:p

danknation
October 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM
you should have done some research before buying your bike then

I did plenty of research, thanks though. I settled on the 250 for a few reasons.

1. It will be my fiance's when I am done with it.
2. I wanted to learn to RIDE a bike. Not ride a BIKE.
3. Affordability at the time.

I didn't say I hated the thing, just that when it came time I wanted more power. In my riding conditions I would consider it somewhat safe, but not entirely. The posted limits on highways around here are 70 with the cruising speed in the slow lane around 76. The highways are raised and there is nothing around it to break the wind. The ninjette is more affected by wind(weight and power) than the larger bikes i've ridden. Not only does the ninjette more laterally but if I am riding in any kind of head wind I can't pass or speed up in a manner I am comfortable with. Idiots and 18wheelers come flying up so fast around here I want to be able to move in a hurry.

You don't have to agree with me, I was just replying to the OP's question. Don't take offense if I don't praise your baby as highly as you do. I love my ninjette when it comes to lower speeds but for my normal commute it does not do the trick. Don't get me wrong, once we get down under 60 and in the few twisties we can find I leave my other friends in the dust. None of the down low performance matters when I consistently do daily commutes down a straight highway at 70+.

Geez, can we go on to the next person whose opinions we don't approve of now, please? :rollseyes:

Reswob
October 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I've counted about 4 highway complaints just in the last 1/4 of this page, I'm a little confused about what you guys are possibly doing so horribly wrong that you're having trouble?

Cruising about 80 the engine is already revving right in the sweet spot of the powerband, a little twist of the wrist and you can rocket up to 100 before you realize it. How is that not enough power to pass other vehicles on the highway? (and at 6' 200lbs + gear, I'm not a light guy by any stretch).

danknation
October 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
The highways are raised and there is nothing around it to break the wind.
If I get on the highway I am in wind the entire time. It may just be a few mphs every now and then but it is enough to brick wall me at 80mph if I try to speed up. Typically, if I am doing 80 and the cage next to me is doing 80 I either have to click it down or tuck to pass him. I am curious what Addy or any of the other guys that ride 35W or E around Dallas have to say.

kkim
October 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM
so, what's so wrong with having to downshift to pass? It all depends on the rate at which you want to make the pass. I just take it as a given with anything that has a manual transmission.

danknation
October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
so, what's so wrong with having to downshift to pass? It all depends on the rate at which you want to make the pass. I just take it as a given with anything that has a manual transmission.

Nothing really, but with a daily commute of 50 miles each way it'd be nice just to cruise and roll on the throttle a tad when needed. I know that everyone swares the people that drive where they live are the worst but Texas plain scares me. I have had 4 people decide to "share my lane" with my in the last 1.5 months while going down the highway. I don't stay next to people or in their blind spots so this was all them.

Alex
October 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't think anyone's necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just a difference of expectations. First, while your bike may very well be saying 100 on the speedo, it's not going anywhere near that speed. A stock (or even a breathed upon) ninjette will take a long, long time to get anywhere near a true 100 mph, and most won't make it. Our speedos are famously optimistic, and putting a GPS on the bars drives home the point pretty quickly. I find that the engine performance is more than acceptable on the highway up to a true 80 mph. If you're already going 75 or 80, the remaining passing power, even at full throttle in the optimal gear, isn't a whole heck of alot. It's just the nature of the bike. If someone's commute requires more power in reserve to get from 75 ish to 90 ish then back down to 75 ish as traffic conditions warrant, a 250cc 4-stroke may not be the optimal choice. Doesn't mean it's not a perfectly capable bike, but it's not the best at everything (just like no bikes are the best at everything).

What does make me wonder a bit is when folks do say that they need a bike that is more capable on the highway, and list bikes like the ZX-6R or other supersports as more suitable, primarily because of the extra power. While that one component is true, the riding position, the limited vision due to the riding position/mirrors, the limited fuel range, limited tire and chain life, the greatly increased insurance, and a number of other factors we could all list make those bikes not such a great choice for those with daily highway commutes. YMMV.

kkim
October 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I think if you would be more comfortable on a larger displacement bike for the freeways, you should get one.

The Ninja 250 is a great bike that does a lot of things well. It can do long, high speed trips, but I can imagine it would be a lot more comfortable on a larger bike.

Saying that, you do know you can make some simple changes to the Ninja that will help the bike be a bit more comfortable and have a bit more power to set it up for highway travel, don't you?

CZroe
October 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Some people do "NEED" more passing power than others. A 250 Ninja is far from "more than enough." It's closer to "just enough to get you by." It's nothing like driving a cage. I just might really NEED it... not just WANT it.
:p
What does this imaginary "need" come from? If it's the rider's stats... this is how I ALWAYS ride: 6'2" - 250lb before gear with full gear and a tank bag. Other than riding two-up, I haven't seen any complaint coming from anywone with a bigger statistical "need." So, where do those complaints come from? Answer: They come from a WANT, not a "need."

danknation
October 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I don't think anyone's necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just a difference of expectations. First, while your bike may very well be saying 100 on the speedo, it's not going anywhere near that speed. A stock (or even a breathed upon) ninjette will take a long, long time to get anywhere near a true 100 mph, and most won't make it. Our speedos are famously optimistic, and putting a GPS on the bars drives home the point pretty quickly. I find that the engine performance is more than acceptable on the highway up to a true 80 mph. If you're already going 75 or 80, the remaining passing power, even at full throttle in the optimal gear, isn't a whole heck of alot. It's just the nature of the bike. If someone's commute requires more power in reserve to get from 75 ish to 90 ish then back down to 75 ish as traffic conditions warrant, a 250cc 4-stroke may not be the optimal choice. Doesn't mean it's not a perfectly capable bike, but it's not the best at everything (just like no bikes are the best at everything).

What does make me wonder a bit is when folks do say that they need a bike that is more capable on the highway, and list bikes like the ZX-6R or other supersports as more suitable, primarily because of the extra power. While that one component is true, the riding position, the limited vision due to the riding position/mirrors, the limited fuel range, limited tire and chain life, the greatly increased insurance, and a number of other factors we could all list make those bikes not such a great choice for those with daily highway commutes. YMMV.

Thank you for putting it in a better way, Alex.

I understand the limitations in fuel range, tire and chain life, etc that I will incur with the SS, those are all things I am willing to live with. I've made this same trip on the GXSR and R6 and as I previously said it was night and day to the 250. The riding position is more preferred because it gets me out of the wind and over the tank without my arms dropping 6 inches like the ninjette(I know, clipons, keep reading below about modding). Just like I made exceptions with the 250 so I could start riding I will do so when it comes to get another bike. I bought the 250 to learn, learn well, give to my fiance, and I had been wanting a bike for so long I wanted what I could afford. All in all I am not disappointed, but like you said I prefer a little bit more in the reserve.

And Kelly, I am fully aware of the changes I can make to the ninjette. I've got clip-ons coming for Christmas that will get me a little lower of the tank but frankly I am not a fan of buying a vehicle and then modding it to preferred power. It reminds me of the Civic guys, I can buy it for 4k and put 10k into it and then it'll have 800whp!!! This is an obvious exaggeration but when the spring rolls around the Broadaway family is adding another, bigger, bike to the stable.

I will always have a slot in the garage for the duecefifty. I just said the other day that I was keeping this vehicle for the rest of my life unless it was stolen or wrecked. I love it, it is my first bike, but it leaves more to be desired on the highway. A good combination of larger displacement(maybe even a ST or something) and the ninjette will keep me happy for a long time to come.

kkim
October 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
lol... welcome to the addiction.

Reswob
October 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I don't think anyone's necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just a difference of expectations. First, while your bike may very well be saying 100 on the speedo, it's not going anywhere near that speed. .

I still need to borrow a GPS and get an exact % of how far the speedo is off, but counting mile markers on the highway against the odometer, it's pretty friggin' close. Also judging that I know from when I'm in my Jeep that most of the vehicles on the highway I'm talking about go 85+ on average, and I was passing them rather quickly, I'd guess that 100 indicated on my bike is close to 95mph.

adouglas
October 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Am I the only one around here who's perfectly happy to keep it at 65-70 mph as a matter of course?

Seems like everyone is trying to ride at ridiculous speeds on public roads. The velocities routinely cited around here are enough to cost you your license just about anywhere in the United States.

Every time somebody (car or bike) blows by me at 95 mph - which happens fairly often on the Interstate - especially weaving through traffic, I find myself reflexively wishing that the idiot would have a close personal encounter with a bridge abutment and take himself out of the freakin' gene pool before he kills someone else.

What's your hurry? The mere act of riding is enjoyable.

I'm no speed-limit Nazi... far from it... I believe that the safest speed is to match the general flow of traffic, which around here is typically around 65-70 on the Interstate (speed limit 55). But too fast is too fast. I confess to having gotten my bike up to 85-90 once just to see what it was like (it was fine...felt quite stable and happy), but that was enough. I don't need to go that fast on a routine basis.

Just my $0.02. Ride your own ride.

rockNroll
October 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Am I the only one around here who's perfectly happy to keep it at 65-70 mph as a matter of course?

Seems like everyone is trying to ride at ridiculous speeds on public roads. The velocities routinely cited around here are enough to cost you your license just about anywhere in the United States.

Every time somebody (car or bike) blows by me at 95 mph - which happens fairly often on the Interstate - especially weaving through traffic, I find myself reflexively wishing that the idiot would have a close personal encounter with a bridge abutment and take himself out of the freakin' gene pool before he kills someone else.

I'm no speed-limit Nazi... far from it... I believe that the safest speed is to match the general flow of traffic, which around here is typically around 65-70 on the Interstate (speed limit 55). But too fast is too fast. I confess to having gotten my bike up to 85-90 once just to see what it was like (it was fine...felt quite stable and happy), but that was enough. I don't need to go that fast on a routine basis.

We have alot of 65 and 70mph posted zones in this area and the traffic flow is 75-80, of course. I feel the safest speed for me on a bike is to be slowly overtaking traffic.

Reswob
October 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM

I don't know where the secret lair is (obviously), but in a lot of places the general flow of traffic IS 80-85 on the highway. Keep up or get run over.

emilyLOVESlime
October 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
We have alot of 65 and 70mph posted zones in this area and the traffic flow is 75-80, of course. I feel the safest speed for me on a bike is to be slowly overtaking traffic.

That is what happens here as well. I recently took an hour long trip back home and I felt a little uncomfortable pushing my little Ninja to her limits. It was quite windy as well, but the biggest thing was that I wasn't really cruising at 80mph, I was almost hitting what I felt like was the highest speed I should be safely going on a bike this small.

Suffice it to say that I still LOVE this bike. I'd never give it up, except maybe for a new-gen. Best case scenario I'd have a black new-gen and also a black and gold R6 :D

Alex
October 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
but counting mile markers on the highway against the odometer, it's pretty friggin' close.

The error on the speedometer has no relation to the error on the odometer. That said, the odometer is usually much closer to reality than the speedo rating. Until you put a GPS on the bike, one can't really know what the error is for that particular bike.

headshrink
October 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
When it comes to being ready to add a little passing punch, mine seems happiest going from a 6th gear, 80 iMPH, 9K RPM cruise (speed of traffic here), to a 85-90 iMPH passing speed. My bike is still geared stock, but this is where the powerband is supposed to open up. I can't really see why at that RPM & speed you would need to drop a gear...

On one hand, I agree with all the statements about being "enough" power.
But on the other hand, I also agree with the statements about not ALWAYS being enough power. While I feel my bike is fully capable to tour just about anywhere, except very high elevations, there are those times the extra power would be very helpful, if not safer in certain situations. When I talk to others who haven't ridden a 250r, I compare it's power to a Honda Civic. Civics have "enough" power, but then again, there are also those times they don't, albeit generally not an everyday occurrence.

EDIT: On second thought.... if I still lived in southern CA, I would be nervous on a 250 on many of the freeways, since they regularly go from a 90+ iMPH (80+ MPG), to a dead stop in seconds... and then back up again. That works out to being aprox. 10 mph faster than up here in norther CA, which does bring a 250r a lot closer to it's limit... but it can be done, and there are a few members here who are from SoCal. I am curious about what they have to say about this.

subiegy2010
October 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I'd think that a Ninja 250R would be quite a bit quicker than a Honda Civic. My N/A Subaru is faster than a stock Civic and I know for a fact that my 250 is faster than my car (I'm pretty light though). I've read that the 250 would only be a tad slower than a WRX; and a WRX should be MORE than enough performance to get anybody by on the streets. But, I'm sure a WRX would also have more punch at highway speeds so I guess the highway argument still stands for those people who need to do 80-85 just to keep up. Where I live, I almost never go past 75mph. I only hit 80 occasionally to pass people, then back down to 70-75 in the left lane.

The highway speed limit in Milwaukee is 55 in most places. Up to 65 when you go north or south of the city and into the suburbs.

Reswob
October 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM
The error on the speedometer has no relation to the error on the odometer. That said, the odometer is usually much closer to reality than the speedo rating. Until you put a GPS on the bike, one can't really know what the error is for that particular bike.

Interesting. In cars the speedo and odo are usually read from the same sensor, and have the same accuracy.

headshrink
October 26th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'd think that a Ninja 250R would be quite a bit quicker than a Honda Civic. My N/A Subaru is faster than a stock Civic and I know for a fact that my 250 is faster than my car (I'm pretty light though). I've read that the 250 would only be a tad slower than a WRX; and a WRX should be MORE than enough performance to get anybody by on the streets. But, I'm sure a WRX would also have more punch at highway speeds so I guess the highway argument still stands for those people who need to do 80-85 just to keep up. Where I live, I almost never go past 75mph. I only hit 80 occasionally to pass people, then back down to 70-75 in the left lane.

The highway speed limit in Milwaukee is 55 in most places. Up to 65 when you go north or south of the city and into the suburbs.

I have also heard that about 250r vs. WRX,...... BUT, I have noticed when cars occasionally want to take-off past me at lights, almost all of them can when they try. I generally push it from a stop to get all the traffic behind me, but if I gave it all she's got... well, that wouldn't be much more. I would say a rough estimate is I give it 90% when I want to get infront of traffic. I've had soccor moms with attitudes, in the mid-large sized SUVs, blow past me from a stop. Same with trucks, beater 4 doors, etc. In almost all these cases I didn't hear their engines screaming too hard, so I know they could do more. I did smoke a 911, but he was on a sunday drive, so I wouldn't count that. So if it were really true, I wouldn't have my eye on that 650r.

ninjabrewer
October 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
:pop2:

Cedilla
October 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Lol one time I was behind this guy driving really slow in a Chevy Silverado, and I will admit I was following a little to closley to see around him, well this guy sticks his hand out the window to wave me by, and as soon as I started to go around him, there was an oncoming car right freaking there.:mad: I was floored, this a-hole just tried to kill me!:eek::mad: I backed off a little bit then decided I was going around him, well when I tried to pass he sped up as I got in the other lane, and I could not pass him, I got behind him and he slowed way down again. I wanted to follow him home, and use my helmet to bash his face in for trying to kill me, but I refrained. Just thinking about that encounter still makes me mad.:mad:

adouglas
October 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I have also heard that about 250r vs. WRX,...... BUT, I have noticed when cars occasionally want to take-off past me at lights, almost all of them can when they try.

I had that happen not long ago. On my commute, I often encounter lights where, if I stay in line, I'll get stuck behind more than one cycle of the red. So if I can, I'll ride up the right shoulder to the front of the line. I'm not inconveniencing anyone by doing this, but it infuriates the cagers. Not surprising...they HAVE to wait and I don't.

So this one guy decides to press the issue. I push it for about one second... long enough to realize that he's racing, then I just back off and let him have it. I won't get held up at all, and he gets to think he's a big bada$$ for beating out a sport bike in his full-sized Lexus sedan. Whoopie.

The poetic justice is that a quarter of a mile later, he got stuck behind a school bus making a left turn and I passed him anyway. I gave him a friendly wave as I went around him, and promptly disappeared.... :thumbup:

A$$HOLE!!!!!!!

ninjabrewer
October 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM
EDIT: On second thought.... if I still lived in southern CA, I would be nervous on a 250 on many of the freeways, since they regularly go from a 90+ iMPH (80+ MPG), to a dead stop in seconds... and then back up again. That works out to being aprox. 10 mph faster than up here in norther CA, which does bring a 250r a lot closer to it's limit... but it can be done, and there are a few members here who are from SoCal. I am curious about what they have to say about this.

I have been riding my '08 as my sole mode of transportation here in the Cypress area since mid May. I have ridden on several of the freeways here, and in traffic and in jams. And yes, I lane split when the going gets REAL slow. Going with the flow on most times that I have been on the freeways is around 80-85. I basically lay my left arm over the tank and lean on my elbow, so I guess I could say that I am in a tuck. Passing is not a chore, it does take some throttle and I rarely ever downshift. I get passed rather frequently by other bikes, but to me it is no big deal. IMHO, the most comfortable speed on my bike is around 70-75, it feels smoother and I don't get as much head bobble, although that could be from my helmet, Scorpion 400, than the bike itself. (I do have a double bubble windscreen). So, for me, I don't have a problem with the ninjette on the freeways here. (For the record, I 'm 5'7", 135lbs in the buff).

nb

CZroe
October 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
When it comes to being ready to add a little passing punch, mine seems happiest going from a 6th gear, 80 iMPH, 9K RPM cruise (speed of traffic here), to a 85-90 iMPH passing speed. My bike is still geared stock, but this is where the powerband is supposed to open up. I can't really see why at that RPM & speed you would need to drop a gear...

On one hand, I agree with all the statements about being "enough" power.
But on the other hand, I also agree with the statements about not ALWAYS being enough power. While I feel my bike is fully capable to tour just about anywhere, except very high elevations, there are those times the extra power would be very helpful, if not safer in certain situations. When I talk to others who haven't ridden a 250r, I compare it's power to a Honda Civic. Civics have "enough" power, but then again, there are also those times they don't, albeit generally not an everyday occurrence.

_________
( _______)
V
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/customavatars/avatar657_1.gif (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=116325&postcount=195)

subiegy2010
October 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have also heard that about 250r vs. WRX,...... BUT, I have noticed when cars occasionally want to take-off past me at lights, almost all of them can when they try. I generally push it from a stop to get all the traffic behind me, but if I gave it all she's got... well, that wouldn't be much more. I would say a rough estimate is I give it 90% when I want to get infront of traffic. I've had soccor moms with attitudes, in the mid-large sized SUVs, blow past me from a stop. Same with trucks, beater 4 doors, etc. In almost all these cases I didn't hear their engines screaming too hard, so I know they could do more. I did smoke a 911, but he was on a sunday drive, so I wouldn't count that. So if it were really true, I wouldn't have my eye on that 650r.
I saw a video on youtube of a 250 racing a V6 Mustang. The 250 won. A V6 'stang is slower than a WRX so I think putting the 250 between the two would be pretty fair.

I personally have no way of knowing though, I just got my bike and don't even have my permit yet. :p

EDIT: Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0xbyjCxs7U

sharky nrk
October 27th, 2009, 05:23 AM
^^ my WRX would cock slap a 250, but its got 300whp and drag racing a 250 is stupid anyways

CZroe
October 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yup. Good enough for me.

A 2008 (has a white Ninja logo) suddenly deciding and passing at high speeds on an interstate highway/freeway...
PfHmOhrVypM

Looks to have a stock exhaust and fender, so I doubt it has any other mods. Loaded with gear including a backpack and it took only a few seconds once he decided to pass; speeds are around 90MPH according to the BMW's gauge.

Guy left his blinker on and documented it for us all. :D

headshrink
October 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I guess I don't ride fast enough :D

danknation
October 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yup. Good enough for me.

A 2008 (has a white Ninja logo) suddenly deciding and passing at high speeds on an interstate highway/freeway...
PfHmOhrVypM

Looks to have a stock exhaust and fender, so I doubt it has any other mods. Loaded with gear including a backpack and it took only a few seconds once he decided to pass; speeds are around 90MPH according to the BMW's gauge.

Guy left his blinker on and documented it for us all. :D
My Lord you just can't let it go can you.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you ever notice you're that guy on the internet that keeps an argument going 3 pages after everyone else has tried to drop it?

CZroe
October 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
My Lord you just can't let it go can you.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you ever notice you're that guy on the internet that keeps an argument going 3 pages after everyone else has tried to drop it?

Should I just forget a supporting (and interesting) video I found? :D Keep it to myself to avoid looking argumentative? Purposely not support my own views? If you say so. :rolleyes: That's not normal. Good luck finding someone who will act that way. I tend to support the things that I say. People who say things without supporting evidence invite arguments. People who try to support the things they say create discussion and/or end arguments. :D

Either way, more info is better no matter who it's from or what they said previously, and no matter how you look at it and there's no more appropriate place for it than this thread for this topic... kkim asked if we needed more (or not) with the 250 relegated as simply a gateway drug and I didn't participate in this year-old thread until yesterday. It was all the better to answer then too because I now had 1.25 years' experience then with cross-country trip under my belt. I'd say that my perspective of a tall & heavy rider with tons of freeway riding experience finding it more than enough had not been adequately reflected (in fact, it was the opposite of what lighter riders were saying). I'd say that it's my duty for others potentially like me to see this perspective.

It looks like it has a LOT more life left in it because it was only TWO pages when I first piped up yesterday. If my experience started the argument anew, oh well. He asked for our experiences and I gave mine along with my opinion and supporting evidence. :) If only every poster was a thorough there may not be much left to argue about!

rockNroll
October 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Should I just forget a supporting (and interesting) video I found? :D Keep it to myself to avoid looking argumentative? Purposely not support my own views? If you say so. :rolleyes: That's not normal. Good luck finding someone who will act that way. I tend to support the things that I say. People who say things without supporting evidence invite arguments. People who try to support the things they say create discussion and/or end arguments. :D

Either way, more info is better no matter who it's from or what they said previously, and no matter how you look at it and there's no more appropriate place for it than this thread for this topic... kkim asked if we needed more (or not) with the 250 relegated as simply a gateway drug and I didn't participate in this year-old thread until yesterday. It was all the better to answer then too because I now had 1.25 years' experience then with cross-country trip under my belt. I'd say that my perspective of a tall & heavy rider with tons of freeway riding experience finding it more than enough had not been adequately reflected (in fact, it was the opposite of what lighter riders were saying). I'd say that it's my duty for others potentially like me to see this perspective.

It looks like it has a LOT more life left in it because it was only TWO pages when I first piped up yesterday. If my experience started the argument anew, oh well. He asked for our experiences and I gave mine along with my opinion and supporting evidence. :) If only every poster was a thorough there may not be much left to argue about!

You have 1.25 yrs experience? :eek: err.. and you can now decide what is more than enough? what is needed vs what is just wanted? for people who have ridden many different bikes, for many... never mind. At least sour grapes does have a small amount of comedy value :thumbup:

CZroe
October 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
You have 1.25 yrs experience? :eek: err.. and you can now decide what is more than enough? what is needed vs what is just wanted? for people who have ridden many different bikes, for many... never mind. At least sour grapes does have a small amount of comedy value :thumbup:

You missed the point. The bike's barely been available for longer than that (Spring '08 vs. Summer'08). Obviously, I wasn't talking about lifetime experience on bikes (which isn't much longer... put parking lot miles on Buell Blasts and a KLR650 for a few months... about 3x the MSF course alone). So, if I were talking about all my experience on bikes, it'd be 1 and a half years. Not significantly more, but enough to prove that I'm not trying to claim that the experience counts as anything more than 1 and 1/4 years experience with this bike in order to give a weightier opinion than those who claim to need an upgrade three months after buying it. Arguably, someone with more experience on bigger bikes is going to have a tainted opinion on what is "enough" because they've already tasted/experienced more and want it enough to excuse it by saying that the 250 "isn't enough."

Besides, what you need to be looking at is miles. I'm giving damn near 10,000 miles of nearly entirely freeway experience in an opinion about freeway and freeway-passing suitability. If you want to use that as an excuse to posture and parade your years of experience, so be it, but keep it on topic and in-perspective. Apply that and say WHY a three second pass at nearly 90MPH isn't enough passing power on-tap vs. some other bike. Would you rather be able to wheelie past them? Lurch forwards like they were standing still? Is that kind of power really "needed?"

nate-bama
October 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
WoW.., may be off topic but my gateway drug was from British Columbia

and it made me ride better :)

Kalivos
October 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
wow.., may be off topic but my gateway drug was from british columbia

lsd?

CZroe
October 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
WoW.., may be off topic but my gateway drug was from British Columbia

:nono:

lsd?

Seeing sounds doesn't help you drive better. ;) I'm guessing amphetamines, AKA "speed."

danknation
October 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Seeing sounds doesn't help you drive better. ;) I'm guessing amphetamines, AKA "speed."

He's talking about grass. BC is known for growing and exporting decent buds. Speed is something that is typically made in rural America by none other than resident white trash.

CZroe
October 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM
He's talking about grass. BC is known for growing and exporting decent buds. Speed is something that is typically made in rural America by none other than resident white trash.

Of course that's the stereotypical "gateway drug" (what the term usually applies to), but it does NOT make you a better driver. It may make you feel that way though. I'm sure you're right though... I just didn't know what BC was known for and it seemed to conflict with the "better driving" thing.

Long before meth became associated with rural folks cooking it in their trailers, it was used and abused by long-haul commercial drivers. San Diego, hardly a rural area, was once known as the "Meth Capital of the world," though a few places have carried that distinction since. I'm told that it's still pretty bad here. The rural thing has only exploded in the last 10-15 years.

headshrink
October 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Doesn't the military call it "go-pills?"

tonybhall
October 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I've ridden several bikes over the years ranging from a 250 Rebel to an 800cc Cruiser. My 2007 Ninja 250r is by far my favorite bike. Sure, there are times when I wish I had a little more power. And I've even test ridden a couple larger bikes recently when I got the itch. But every time I do, I gain a new appreciation for my 250. I ride 50 miles every day that the sun shines and it's not below 50*. I live in the south so that's 9 to 10 months out of the year.

The 250r does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. That's faster all but the fastest cars. And she may struggle to get into triple digits, but IMO, you don't need to be doing 100 mph on public highways.

One day I might purchase a larger bike again. But I can't see getting rid of the 250. It's just too much fun to ride.

Daeldren
October 31st, 2009, 07:21 AM
To be honest anymore Im not too impressed with the jap 600 bikes, especially since they are priced over 10k nowadays. But if Ducati builds another supermono, or KTM brings that RC4 over here Ill buy one in a heartbeat.

by the way anybody heard anything on the KTM RC4, did they shelf the project?

overload
October 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM
I think the RC4 is a good idea but i doubt that they make them anymore or am i mistaken ?

sprale
November 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I really dig my Ninjette, but want something a bit more rugged, not necessarily bigger. I really like the flickability of the Ninjette, it's really the best daily ride I have had yet. I do yearn for some off-road excursions, and this little bike won't do. I'm thinking about something like the V-Strom or DR650, maybe even something smaller, as long as I can mount some hard luggage.

bdavison
November 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I choose my bikes for what it does do, not what it can do.
I dont really care about triple digit speeds....there arent any roads here with that high a legal speed limit. I can get a ticket on the 250r just as fast as any other bike.

Ill trade tickets for fun any day. And the 250r is just plain fun to ride. More fun than the literbikes Ive been on.

I cant see ever really needing something bigger...and thats the only reason I would ever buy something bigger. Only if I NEEDED it.....and I dont.

ninja250
November 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
When it comes to long freeway trips, I'd have rather had a 600.
When I'm talking about zipping around town or short 30-45min freeway trips to the mountain twisties I don't mind the 250 at all.

I wouldn't want to do a 400mi trip on it though. Too squerrely and revs too high for extended comfort IMO. Just me though.

Bols
April 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I bought my ninjette 20.may last year, and so far i'm really happy with it! I was planning to just get a 125cc, but these are actually priced about the same here as the Yamaha YZF125 and Aprilia 125RS, and i also love the green colour! I also love modding and personalizing my bike, making it stand out abit from the stock ones.

I am planning to move up to a 2006-2007 ZX6R(636), that's the model i like best of the ZX6R, the newer ones are moving in the wrong direction imo, atleast lookwise. I love big and full fairings like those abit older ZX6R, Ducati and MV Augusta. The new ZX6R (and GSXR) are getting too naked for my taste :(

Linuss
April 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm loving the 250r, but honestly I've always liked the looks of the ER-6N more, and it just fits my size... but I didn't want to start off too big, or too expensive, before knowing if I'd stick with motorcycles.

I'll have the 250r paid off in a matter of months, and I'll re-think then if I'll get an 6n or even the 650R.

GeorgiaHooligan
April 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I love my 07 red beast. Its my first bike, bought it about two years ago and have put about 10k on it. I like taking my wifey along and the 250 is good but I'd like better brakes and power when riding 2up. It handles great but once you get it to 100mph its pretty much done. When your on the freeway you dont have alot of power at the top end . I'm glad I did my research before buying and went with the 250 though. It keeps me out of trouble and doesnt hurt the wallet too much. FYI: The Muzzy pipe makes it sound like a mini 600, love it. But I do plan on going with a zx6r when the finances allow me to do so. Peace out my homies.

the big mike
April 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I'm almost 20 now, just got my bike. I've always thought that the 250r would just be my training bike for a year or 2, sell it to my sister and then I would buy a 600. But as I've been reading some threads on ninjette.org, I changed my mentality towards this bike and I'm planning to ride it way longer now. thanks guys :) My sister ain't lucky :)

beowuff
April 30th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Well, my '07 blue 250 is amazing, but I think the gateway part is going the wrong way for me... I've hardly ridden lately because I'm training for my first triathlon, a Half-Ironman in Victoria BC. I've "upgraded" to this beast...

2009 Specialized Tarmac Elite
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/9096-55_TM_Elite_Blue_d.jpg

Many times on my 45 mile bike ride today I was wishing for an extra motor on that thing :D

Cab305
April 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hell Yes! I'm not a crack addict I'm a rock monster!

ninjaprof
April 30th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hello everybody,

Just a quick note to report that last week I "downgraded" from a Ninja 650 to a 250 and I couldn't be happier. The 250 is so much more fun to ride ! I am 50+ years old now and the 250 offers the riding experience that I have ALWAYS been looking for. I would rather use 100% of a 250 than 25% of a 1000cc bike. No looking back for me, no "supersports" etc, I have what I need and what I want...the Ninja 250 !

kamikaze
April 30th, 2011, 08:52 PM
while I love my 250, I've always had my eyes on 600cc class sport bikes. I wanted something that was not only fun to ride but nice to look at for my first bike, and the ninjette is definitely both of those. When the time comes if I can afford to keep the 250 and pick up another bike I"ll absolutely keep it.