View Full Version : So I layed down my bike today =(

Robinhood
February 19th, 2012, 12:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Javin028/photo-6.jpg

On purpose! :D I haven't had a drop yet, and wanted to see if I could lift my bike before I find myself needing to do so on a busy road.

I found it much easier to pick it up facing the bike, dead-lift style, rather than the "proper" way, with you butt against the seat. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's just poor technique on my part. No, my back doesn't hurt.

If I sound noobish...I still kinda am. :p

csmith12
February 19th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well Jay, I must say you are trying to be very prepared.

CC Cowboy
February 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I can pick it up over my head but I go to the gym!

mustang5.0
February 19th, 2012, 01:39 PM
i picked up my bike im properly and pulled my shoulder out, again... popped it into place and rode off.. was sore for weeks after still hurt every now and then

Robinhood
February 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM
csmith12

Did I mention I did it wearing full gear? ATGATT! Just kidding. Maybe....

CC Cowboy

A 350 lbs clean and jerk...with a motorcycle?? That's damn impressive!

mustang5.0

Ouch! How exactly did you lift it?

CC Cowboy
February 19th, 2012, 02:02 PM
CC Cowboy

OK, clean your motorcycle, OK,

but "Jerk" your motocrcycle, weird!

avneet
February 19th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Haha I had my brother help me lay down my bike back when I first got it to make sure I too could pick it up. I tried it the way you did and it was much harder for me than doing it the proper way with your butt against the seat. That way was super easy and I felt no strain. All the work was in my legs and none in the arms.

mustang5.0
February 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
csmith12

Did I mention I did it wearing full gear? ATGATT! Just kidding. Maybe....

CC Cowboy

mustang5.0

Ouch! How exactly did you lift it?

quickly and recklessly..it was right in front of my job and it was caught on CCTV. I only had the bike for a few days, no riding experience, and a permit.. i didnt know how to lift it at the time and my shoulders had been damage since i was 12.. it was a learning experience

akima
February 21st, 2012, 12:04 PM
My ninjette has been on the ground twice. The first time was when I had a small accident. I was teeming with adrenalin and hulk-lifted the bike up while facing it! :eek: No way would I have been able to do that without the adrenalin. For 3 days afterwards I could barely hold up a loaf of bread! My arms went back to normal after that.

The second time was when I dropped my bike while at a stand still. I kinda caught it on the way down though and gently eased it down such that the weight was on the peg. I tried lifting it back up while facing it but couldn't budge it, so I span around and lifted it using my legs: that was easy.

250rr
February 21st, 2012, 03:19 PM
I do not yet have a ninja (march 3) but I have another bike of a very similar weight. As I have only one hand I used only one arm to lift it. I just grabbed the low side handle bar and yanked and it popped right up. I was then able to walk it off the intersection to the corner and inspect it. Any other way would have been far too slow considering I was in the middle of an intersection and cars were waiting plus traffic was coming.

Impressive feat! Also, impressive feet! :p

Flying Pig
February 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
I use the forward-facing, dead-lift style when picking up downed bikes. I figure I'm strong enough to do it, so no need to fuss with the reverse walk http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/images/smilies/flex.gif

rusninja
February 21st, 2012, 04:49 PM
I can imagine someone lifting their bike with there but and tipping over with it to the other side. XD

bluesinorbit
February 21st, 2012, 10:30 PM
A bright enveloping light over a fallen Ninja with all that blood-red paint. It made me scream silly.

Rb3k18y6_j0

randy328
February 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM
Everytime I've lifted it up, it's been in the middle of a track with bikes whizzing by and I have yet to remember how I did it. Adrenaline pump works wonders. I guess since my back never hurts I did it right...or at least close.

squaregamer476
February 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
isnt picking it up like how you would with a bicycle the proper way? (grab the handle bar grips and lift) I picked it up like that when my gf dropped it and it wasnt that bad. Is there a proper way?

squaregamer476
February 22nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
many cant lift it that way. putting your back into the motorcycle and lifting with your legs is easier and the only way to do it to heavier bikes for most people.

If the bike is on its right side put the kickstand down before you start lifting to prevent lifting it up then down on the other side.

k4MPyX0QCYw
pPjYweKeiLk

Sweet!. I just learned how to pick up a heavy bike the easy way. Thx 4 tha vidi :thumbup:

squaregamer476
February 22nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Javin028/photo-6.jpg

On purpose! :D I haven't had a drop yet, and wanted to see if I could lift my bike before I find myself needing to do so on a busy road.

I found it much easier to pick it up facing the bike, dead-lift style, rather than the "proper" way, with you butt against the seat. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's just poor technique on my part. No, my back doesn't hurt.

If I sound noobish...I still kinda am. :p

was wondering, when you layed the bike down and stood it back up, did you have any oil dripping down? I remember when my bike went down, there was oil leaking down from some hose. Also gas came leaking out from the tank. (full)

Is common for these bikes? or is it for the 2009 and 08 models? Or is something wrong with my bike...:confused:

Robinhood
February 23rd, 2012, 12:33 AM
squaregamer476 - I've heard of this happening to other people, but nothing leaked out of mine. Was your bike running when it went down? Mine was shut off.

squaregamer476
February 23rd, 2012, 03:01 AM
squaregamer476 - I've heard of this happening to other people, but nothing leaked out of mine. Was your bike running when it went down? Mine was shut off.

Bike was off when it dropped. I quickly lifted the bike back up after i seen the gas leaking...:(

It was at full tank too.

squaregamer476
February 23rd, 2012, 03:04 AM
This can help prevent dropping your bike while it is parked on soft surfaces or on hot asphalt (the stand will sink into hot asphalt).

13drTch7Et8

Ive got a few of those. A sparky myself. I guess ive found another use for those covers. I might end up using the 4 11/16 ones :p

GreenNinja
February 23rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
I can pick it up over my head but I go to the gym!

I want to see this: pictures or it didn't happen! It is easier to lift weights when it is evenly distributed.

CC Cowboy
February 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
I want to see this: pictures or it didn't happen! It is easier to lift weights when it is evenly distributed.

Vu Do, you really want to impress your friends by picking your bike up over your head? It's as easy as tearing a phone book (if you still have one of those things). I advise you to do it with an empty fuel tank. First you have to lock the front end (if the front wheel is flopping around it makes it harder, not that it still can't be done). Then you have to take the seat off (you can do it by grabbing the rear seat strap buy you might rip it off). Grab the top triple tree and then grab the frame where the seat is and using the same procedure as a clean jerk lift it up with your knees bent, then when you get it over your head straighten your knees. The problem is getting it back down. You don't want to drop (as you would weights) so make sure you have a couple of friends help you lower it slowly.

I'll post the pix up next time the guys are over to take a few shots and help me lower it back ground safely.

I can't believe you doubt me!

GreenNinja
February 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Vu Do, you really want to impress your friends by picking your bike up over your head? It's as easy as tearing a phone book (if you still have one of those things). I advise you to do it with an empty fuel tank. First you have to lock the front end (if the front wheel is flopping around it makes it harder, not that it still can't be done). Then you have to take the seat off (you can do it by grabbing the rear seat strap buy you might rip it off). Grab the top triple tree and then grab the frame where the seat is and using the same procedure as a clean jerk lift it up with your knees bent, then when you get it over your head straighten your knees. The problem is getting it back down. You don't want to drop (as you would weights) so make sure you have a couple of friends help you lower it slowly.

I'll post the pix up next time the guys are over to take a few shots and help me lower it back ground safely.

I can't believe you doubt me!

Of course I would doubt you. We live in a world where people make up stories. If I believe what strangers tell me all the time, I would be flat broke. I would be giving those poor, homeless guys (that just happen to be clean shaven and don't stink) money. I'm sure if I was homeless I wouldn't be able stay clean shaven. OK sorry, I went and changed the subject from the OP's subject.

akima
February 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
I would be giving those poor, homeless guys (that just happen to be clean shaven and don't stink) money. I'm sure if I was homeless I wouldn't be able stay clean shaven.

I think homeless shelters often have showers. A cheaper shaver and shave cream can't cost more than £2.

I'm not saying you should give them money though! Personally, if I'm feeling charitable, I'll drop into a store near the homeless person and buy them some cookies or some fruit. I don't like giving them money on the grounds that some of them will be heavy drug users and I'd be simply funding their [probably] destructive habit.

CC Cowboy
February 23rd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Of course I would doubt you. We live in a world where people make up stories. If I believe what strangers tell me all the time, I would be flat broke. I would be giving those poor, homeless guys (that just happen to be clean shaven and don't stink) money. I'm sure if I was homeless I wouldn't be able stay clean shaven. OK sorry, I went and changed the subject from the OP's subject.

People don't lie on the internet. It's too easy to check the facts.

Are you calling me stinky and homeless?

GreenNinja
February 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
People don't lie on the internet. It's too easy to check the facts.

Are you calling me stinky and homeless?

:rotflmao: Thanks for the good laugh...coworkers staring at me and wondering how work is so funny :p