View Full Version : Just dropped my bike

hybridkid
February 20th, 2012, 12:58 PM
low sided my 08 in the middle of my neighborhood 30ft from my parking space...live and learn.special shout out to shoei, sidi, BMW riding gear, and tony lee, and rev-it for the protection...otherwise, this really is unfortunate as I downed it within 6 months of ownership. should be a great discussion for my neighbors. Bruised bottom lip...feels chapped. *sigh*

-kj-
February 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM
What happened?

hybridkid
February 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Leaned a bit too far and didn't have enough acceleration as it putted in 2nd gear...next thing I know, man down ...looks like mostly grazed parts. Still, embarrassing even as serious as I am about riding properly it shouldn't have happened that way.

Jiggles
February 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM
2nd gear sputtered? How slow were u going?

koenigcitizen
February 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Good to hear you were not harmed!

ajcadoo
February 20th, 2012, 07:31 PM
2nd gear sputtered? How slow were u going?

Yeah he mustve been crawling :D

hybridkid
February 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah he mustve been crawling :D

Definitely didn't take much...I tried to press on it through second but my acceleration bogged and I leaned a little too much....man, its mostly cosmetic...I'm laughing now but will cry later when I start gathering parts

akima
February 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear that hybridkid.

Where do you normally keep your revs when riding? The fact it was stuttering tells me that maybe you ride at low revs quite often. I'm sure my fuel economy suffers because of this, but I generally keep my revs at 6K or greater while riding. It means I've got a decent amount of power waiting for me if I want/need it.

Hope you don't beat yourself up to much. It seems quite likely that new riders will crash. There's so much for us to learn. I'm sure that you'll learn a lot from the crash. When I had an accident I didn't just learn how to avoid that specific accident again, but I learnt what it feels like when I'm about to crash: the fear and the thoughts that go through my mind in the moments before I loose control. I learnt what my current limits are. I was reminded that I'm a new rider and I need to be really alert all the time and take it easy. Most importantly I feel like I've been imbued with a greater respect for the bike and how I should act on it. We're used to our physical bodies and the limits of them: we've had decades to get used to that, but motorcycles are like an extension of our body. They are a completely different way of interacting with the world and they're very powerful. With that in mind, it almost seems crazy to expect to be able to really be 'at one with the bike' after less than a year of riding. When we first learn to walk, we fall.

hybridkid
February 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Sorry to hear that hybridkid.

Where do you normally keep your revs when riding? The fact it was stuttering tells me that maybe you ride at low revs quite often. I'm sure my fuel economy suffers because of this, but I generally keep my revs at 6K or greater while riding. It means I've got a decent amount of power waiting for me if I want/need it.

Hope you don't beat yourself up to much. It seems quite likely that new riders will crash. There's so much for us to learn. I'm sure that you'll learn a lot from the crash. When I had an accident I didn't just learn how to avoid that specific accident again, but I learnt what it feels like when I'm about to crash: the fear and the thoughts that go through my mind in the moments before I loose control. I learnt what my current limits are. I was reminded that I'm a new rider and I need to be really alert all the time and take it easy. Most importantly I feel like I've been imbued with a greater respect for the bike and how I should act on it. We're used to our physical bodies and the limits of them: we've had decades to get used to that, but motorcycles are like an extension of our body. They are a completely different way of interacting with the world and they're very powerful. With that in mind, it almost seems crazy to expect to be able to really be 'at one with the bike' after less than a year of riding. When we first learn to walk, we fall.

It's definitely a wake up call in the confines of my neighborhood lot. I laughed about it later and shared with friends and coworkers...I rode it the next day. All cosmetic and really light scraping on the fairing, mirror, and bars/pegs....I'll be riding in the parking lot again ...think I hit a flat spot, leaned over too much and didn't distribute right on the weight....

While I'm here, a special shout out to the makers of tony lee, rev-it, shoei, BMW apparel, and sidi....eberything held up well. had a little rib bruising from falling on my backpack shoulder buckle. I maybe looking for a dainese jacket with chest protection next. Was able to play full court bball a couple days later so the protection investment was worth it!

EthioKnight
February 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Sorry to read about your fall bruh, it happens to most, if not all, of us from time to time.
I hardly ever go down to first gear unless I'm stopping fully, 2nd gear should provide you with enough oomph even in crawling speeds. If flat spots/sluggishness happens often at low speeds, I'd suggest you shim the needles on the carbs. That ought to improve your low end. Ride safe :)

NDspd
February 27th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Glad you're alright man...I've had 1 or 2 close calls similar to what happened to you. But I really have no clue how I got out of them, things just happened.

massacremasses
February 27th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I RIDE AT 16K ALL THE TIME

haha jk

sorry about your spill :/ Ive dropped my bike before :eek: