View Full Version : Motorcycle Backpack

atomicrm
February 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
I have been riding without any gear besides a helmet and gloves for a while now. mostly because i simply havent had the money and i ride to school everyday and dont want to carry it around my high school. Feeling like im starting to over stay my welcome with lady luck so I have ordered a jacket and will soon be ordering pants, new gloves and boots. Is there a decently sized moto backpack out there that could carry my helmet, pants, boots and gloves and a few notebooks? The jacket I would just carry with me. Will probably have to carry the helmet with me as well but would be nice if it could go in the back pack.

Recommendations for boots, gloves and pants would be nice as well. keeping in mind im in HS and money is not unlimited but still want to get nice stuff

Thanks for the help

caps
February 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Ogio No-Drag.

/thread

saxnbass
February 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Here is my recommendation, mind you I commute everywhere on my Ninjette, including to college.

Keep your helmet and gloves, unless there is something wrong with them.

For pants, get a couple of pair of kevlar lined riding jeans and a set of nice knee/shin guards (I have the Dianese ones and can highly recommend them).

And get a nice jacket. I'd recommend leather if you can afford it. If not, a quality, well vented textile will do you well too.

You can wear the knee/shin guards underneath the jeans, which look just like regular jeans. Stuff the gloves in the helmet, and all you have to do is carry the helmet. If you absolutely can't carry your helmet, then get a backpack with a helmet carrier, but I'd prefer carrying it so I don't accidentally knock it against a wall or something if I turn around or have someone knock into it.

Asspire
February 21st, 2012, 08:04 PM
I got an oxford aeropack (http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&action=dept&id=129&pid=363&p=). I uses it daily for commuting to work. the bottom of the backpack has a compartment that zips open for your helmet, a slot for a camel back (i use it to hold a first aid kit), and is expandable. Best thing is its water proof, did a half hour commute in a downpour and stayed dry.

i've been able to stuff my overpants, tablet, lunch, 2 thermoses, extra set of clothes, gopro and etc in the main compartment, so its good for space.

BlackNinja8
February 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM
I just received my Icon Urban Tank bag today. The cost from Revzilla.com was $90. This is a good option if it fits your budget. I plan on using it to commute to work and I tested it this afternoon. It fit my 15 inch laptop, work shoes, slacks, sweater, and my DSLR camera. All without using any of the 3 available outside pockets. Fold out straps convert it to a backpack when you take it off the tank, and there is a fold down strap system to hold your helmet. Doesn't fit your helmet inside, so you helmet will be visible but it beats carrying it. Sounds like this may fit what you are looking for.

Kstorm21
February 21st, 2012, 08:34 PM
I just received my Icon Urban Tank bag today. The cost from Revzilla.com was $90. This is a good option if it fits your budget. I plan on using it to commute to work and I tested it this afternoon. It fit my 15 inch laptop, work shoes, slacks, sweater, and my DSLR camera. All without using any of the 3 available outside pockets. Fold out straps convert it to a backpack when you take it off the tank, and there is a fold down strap system to hold your helmet. Doesn't fit your helmet inside, so you helmet will be visible but it beats carrying it. Sounds like this may fit what you are looking for.

Do you have a pic of it on your bike? I looked on revzilla.com and it only shows the front of the bag. thnx

squaregamer476
February 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have been riding without any gear besides a helmet and gloves for a while now. mostly because i simply havent had the money and i ride to school everyday and dont want to carry it around my high school. Feeling like im starting to over stay my welcome with lady luck so I have ordered a jacket and will soon be ordering pants, new gloves and boots. Is there a decently sized moto backpack out there that could carry my helmet, pants, boots and gloves and a few notebooks? The jacket I would just carry with me. Will probably have to carry the helmet with me as well but would be nice if it could go in the back pack.

Recommendations for boots, gloves and pants would be nice as well. keeping in mind im in HS and money is not unlimited but still want to get nice stuff

Thanks for the help

Try some of those kevlar pants. They look like jeans. stylish also. ask your dad to buy those for you on your bday or something.

A nice leather type over the ankle boots would be nice.

As for gloves, you have gloves, but alpinestars are quite popular. ask your mom to get you a nice set for your bday. :D

Gorilla25
February 21st, 2012, 08:45 PM
Do you have a pic of it on your bike? I looked on revzilla.com and it only shows the front of the bag. thnx

i got it too. PM me ur number and ill send u a quick vid of it..if you dont mind. and for future oahu cruises and hang outs :)

Kstorm21
February 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM
http://forums.ninja250.org/uploads/741367.jpg found via a google image search for icon urban tank bag ninja 250 :D

oh....thanks. :)

alex.s
February 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM
Kevin2109 has crashed on his backpack like... dozens of times. he'll probably have plenty of input. his last bike-looping he said his pack saved him from quite a lot of damage as he slid. its one of those hard-back packs

also; good job getting some real gear.

also; also.

NDspd
February 21st, 2012, 10:09 PM
Sucks I can't go with these aerodynamic packs. The hump on my jacket hinders me from wearing ridged packs, so I can only wear ones that flex.

The Ogio packs look nice and they seem to get some good, but few reviews.

BlackNinja8
February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
@kstorm sorry I didn't take a photo I can shoot you one tmrw. Correction the helmet does fit neatly inside the pack but afterwards you would only have room for a couple spirals maybe. No textbooks. Minor issue because you can strap it outside. My only two complaints thus far are that the material is pretty thin - similar to a jansport pack. Its not going to wear very well I don't think. The other minor complaint is that since the bag is not rigid, if you don't fill it up items can slide around loosely and if ur someone who likes to lean on the tankbag you will have empty spots. Simply cured by stuffing a sweatshirt to fill it out while providing a soft resting place. Overall its a large pack that isn't too obtrusive for a noob like me to be comfortable with.

Kevin2109
February 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
There was another thread about this a few weeks ago... I would never run with anything besides a backpack, people say it can mess up your back, but really? If your hitting down on the ground with that much force you have other things to worry about. This is what I have

(Pre-crash)

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5190/img20120124172602.jpg (http://img32.imageshack.us/i/img20120124172602.jpg/)

(Post-crash)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6050/img20120129192843.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/img20120129192843.jpg/)

The thing held up wonderfully and I can for sure say it saved my ass, literally. I was off the bike at 60mph and spent most my time on the backpack and on my ass

Gorilla25
February 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Damn...which bag is that?

Kevin2109
February 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Axio Swift!

Kevin2109
February 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Ya know you dont need a hardshell pack if you just stop falling over :P

Lol Its not just or that, I like the way it looks, it holds a lot of stuff and it rides in the wind very well

Gorilla25
February 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
lucky you..i have to take my cage when grocery shopping....40lbs of chicken, 20lbs red potatoes, and a bunch of other misc food items :eek:

Kevin2109
February 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Oh BTW I was doing 60 when I went down

Gorilla25
February 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
that is my diet. my brother and i are bodybuilders...well, gettin there... so, we gotta eat A LOT..chicken, fish, red potatoes, whole wheat, fruits, veggies etc....

Gorilla25
February 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
lol. i ride my ninja 7 days a week. 2 hrs of grocery shopping in my cage dont bother me.

BlackNinja8
February 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM

Here are some photos of the bag on my bike. Sorry it was already dark out when I got home from work. The bag is holding a 6 pack of bottles and a party size bag of Chips - You know, the bare essentials!

Looking at the photos it looks really large, but I am 5'7" 160lbs and it feels great on my tank. I can see over it by a good 6 inches and it doesn't touch my arms unless I tuck. Doesn't impede any movement and I've grown quite fond of having it full on my tank. After 2 evening rides I felt naked when trying to ride without it!

Gorilla25
February 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
:rotflmao: I been putting it on my bike backwards the whole time :o ...no wonder sometimes the bag accidentally honks my horn :p

BlackNinja8
February 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
:rotflmao: I been putting it on my bike backwards the whole time :o ...no wonder sometimes the bag accidentally honks my horn :p

Lol...the middle strap in the front attaches to your steering column. You leave the strap attached to the column and release the buckle from the bag when u get off. Just a little extra insurance policy if the magnets fail.

Gorilla25
February 22nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
i guess we really do learn something new everyday..haha...i had that bag half full (water, snacks, etc) and i was hitting twisties (40-60mph) lucky the bag stayed in place :D

atomicrm
February 22nd, 2012, 11:02 PM
I like the idea of the tank bag a lot but think i will probably be buying the axio. any idea how much better the 2.0 swift is than the previous one kevin?

atomicrm
February 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM
only questions is do i buy the all black one for 190 or dish out the extra 30 for this
http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=3770&cat=31558&page=1

mustang5.0
February 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
only questions is do i buy the all black one for 190 or dish out the extra 30 for this
http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=3770&cat=31558&page=1

i would spent the extra $30

Kevin2109
February 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
I actually dont like the new axio swift, I got the 1.0 not the 2.0. The 2.0 could probably hold a little more but it doesnt look as good

I only paid $80 for mine, new ;)

iceknyght
February 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
I have been using a Jansport backpack for my commuting... ;)

Not very aerodynamic, but it works for now... Usually only have a couple small thing in it (extra gloves, water bottle, hat, etc), so it's not heavy at all... I do have a tank bag too, but don't really use it much... Eventually, I will get a better pack... :)

BlackNinja8
February 23rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
I have been using a Jansport backpack for my commuting... ;)

Not very aerodynamic, but it works for now... Usually only have a couple small thing in it (extra gloves, water bottle, hat, etc), so it's not heavy at all... I do have a tank bag too, but don't really use it much... Eventually, I will get a better pack... :)

Nothing against Jansport they've served me well in the past. Just wouldn't pay $90 bucks for a Jansport with magnets...wait a minute, scratch that I think I just did lol.

iceknyght
February 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Nothing against Jansport they've served me well in the past. Just wouldn't pay $90 bucks for a Jansport with magnets...wait a minute, scratch that I think I just did lol.

LOL!

I did just try and fit my helmet in my backpack and while yes, it *technically* fits, it wouldn't be comfortable to carry (and pretty much take up all the room)... So have a bit of solace from that... ;)

BlackNinja8
February 23rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
LOL!

I did just try and fit my helmet in my backpack and while yes, it *technically* fits, it wouldn't be comfortable to carry (and pretty much take up all the room)... So have a bit of solace from that... ;)

Excellent, on two separate threads you've given my the comfort to keep both my bike and my tank bag:D

iceknyght
February 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Excellent, on two separate threads you've given my the comfort to keep both my bike and my tank bag:D

Glad I can be of service! ;)

iceknyght
February 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
Carry it on the outside of your pack so that the girlies see that you ride. I have MOLLE webbing (PALS webbing really but meh) and use a cargo net ($6 from my local cyclegear - who gives MSF graduate discounts too) but I am sure you can figure out something on what you already have. Keeps the inside open for other items and shows off your sporty helmet (in my case it shows off the tigger ears and tail).

<-- Married... :cool:

So far, I haven't really *needed* to put the helmet anywhere, as I mostly commute, so I can just put all my stuff next to my desk... The times I do go to a store or whatnot, I just carry the helmet with me or if it's a quick trip inside, I'll lock it to the bike, under the rear seat...

iceknyght
February 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Yogurt?! That's a pretty specific fear! LOL!

I don't lock it to the bike often, cause I definitely don't trust people in general... I have had too many things happen to my cars in the past (keyed, convertible top knifed, wiper blades stolen, tire flattened, etc), so I can only imagine what will happen to my bike! So 98% of the time, I just take it with me and hold it... And I have been fine with that so far... ;)

Kstorm21
February 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM

I don't lock it to the bike often, cause I definitely don't trust people in general... I have had too many things happen to my cars in the past (keyed, convertible top knifed, wiper blades stolen, tire flattened, etc), so I can only imagine what will happen to my bike! So 98% of the time, I just take it with me and hold it... And I have been fine with that so far... ;)

I don't get what is wrong with people?!!! How can someone do that and not think twice about it. I've wanted to key someones car but never would cause I know how mad/upset I'd be if someone did it to my car.

iceknyght
February 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Mostly jealousy... If you have nice things and other people don't, they will mess up your nice things to make themselves feel better... Or, they're just jerks... Or, both...

NDspd
February 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
I don't think people are going to holding yogurt and waiting for a helmet to appear on a bike.

Let's get back on the topic of backpack please. :focus:

TheJimmyEnglish
February 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'd like some interior pictures of that Icon tank bag. I just ordered one and wont have it for about a week.

TheJimmyEnglish
March 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM
So I just had that Icon Urban tank bag for about a week. Couldn't stand it. Unstable on the tank and the straps are insufficient. Sent it back and ordered the Ogio no drag backpack!

burningscooter
March 9th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I ordered the A* Range Backpack. Should be in today. Looking forward to it.

Mocha Man
March 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread. My old backpack that I've been using for 3 years has finally got a big rip on the top. I used it during swimming season to carry my speedo (I'm on the swim team, not just a fat creep who wears speedos to the beach :shocked: ), my towel, and shampoo. And now I'm using it for school again. It's pretty much given up on me now though haha. All my crap that I have to bring to school keeps poking through the sides of it. :mad:

Mocha Man
March 9th, 2012, 09:11 AM

:eek: Wow, that's one I've never heard of before hahaha

iceknyght
March 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM
:eek: Wow, that's one I've never heard of before hahaha

Right?! Who the hell steals wiper blades?!

It was like the first rainy day of the season, and I am guessing someone thought they needed them more than me...

I just remember getting into my car that morning and noticing something didn't look quite right, so I flipped on my wipers and SCREEEEEEEEEEEEECH... Awesome.

Ah, the wonderful times of living in an apartment complex... :rolleyes:

iceknyght
March 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Sometimes it is not about them winning it is about making sure you lose.

Yep. That was what most of the other stuff I mentioned were about, for sure... The people that lived below me were a*holes, to put it nicely, and even though I never caught them, I know it was them that were screwing around with my car... But I could never prove it... The way are apartments were, my car was actually right below me, so I couldn't actually see them, but they were always hanging around my car when I would need to go somewhere... Luckily, after about 6 months of that, they finally got evicted. And guess what, most of my problems went away!

BlackNinja8
April 5th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Here are some photos of the bag on my bike. Sorry it was already dark out when I got home from work. The bag is holding a 6 pack of bottles and a party size bag of Chips - You know, the bare essentials!

Looking at the photos it looks really large, but I am 5'7" 160lbs and it feels great on my tank. I can see over it by a good 6 inches and it doesn't touch my arms unless I tuck. Doesn't impede any movement and I've grown quite fond of having it full on my tank. After 2 evening rides I felt naked when trying to ride without it!

Wanted to update my reviews of this tankbag. As I suspected initially, the bag didn't hold up. After 3 weeks of commuting one of the magnets pieced the protective leather padding and scratched the hell out of my gas tank. Really disappointing because I loved the functionality of the bag. I've stuffed it full of groceries, clothes, my laptop, shoes, you name it. But the quality of the material is a bit lacking.

I'm out of the 30 day return period but I contacted Revzilla and they sent me a prepaid return slip and will initiate a warranty claim for me. Once it is approved they will either replace with the same bag or provide me a credit to use towards a new bag. THOSE GUYS ROCK!!!

codestp202
April 17th, 2012, 11:30 AM
How do you guys attach your helmets to a non-bike bookbag? I wear a nice adidas bag and I will use it on my bike, but I'm wondering how I can strap my helmet on the thing when I'm walking to class

BlackNinja8
April 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM
How do you guys attach your helmets to a non-bike bookbag? I wear a nice adidas bag and I will use it on my bike, but I'm wondering how I can strap my helmet on the thing when I'm walking to class

Simple, buy one of these...$2 at Walmart or any hardware store. Just hook to the helments D-Ring and attach to the strap or a look on your backpack.

codestp202
April 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
wow, why didn't I think about that haha. Thanks dude

BlackNinja8
April 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
wow, why didn't I think about that haha. Thanks dude

No prob:thumbup: Only thing to consider is how much impact you are placing on the straps. If you are just going to and from class a couple times with the helmet hanging its probably no problem. But if you are going hiking with the helmet bouncing up and down supported only by the straps then be careful - Think of a woman with big boobs and no bra. A trip to end of the driveway to get the mail may be okay but going for a jog (while fun to watch) may not be the best idea.

codestp202
April 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hahahah you have a very good point. It will only be from my bike to class then back! No extensive stuff.

KawiKid860
April 17th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I have a monster energy/kawasaki backpack. Nothing special but it fits all of my text books and what not and has good adjustments + a cooler pouch that is easily torn but is pretty useful on long summer day rides (but when the packs full of books or w/e its kind of pointless) and has fleece lined compartments for a laptop and phone/ipod which is nice because it helps keep them warm on cold days and doesnt scratch them.

choneofakind
April 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Just carefully carry your helmet. It works nicely as a little basket too :) just DON'T DROP IT!!!!!

leed
April 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Just carefully carry your helmet. It works nicely as a little basket too :) just DON'T DROP IT!!!!!

+1 Also, don't hit it against walls or other people on accident!

MarcoPolo
April 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Simple, buy one of these...$2 at Walmart or any hardware store. Just hook to the helments D-Ring and attach to the strap or a look on your backpack.

GENIUS my search for a new backpack has stopped lol thanks! :thumbup: