View Full Version : Balls :asshat:

mastahcow
February 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM
oook so yesterday I got to enjoy the Nevada sky sliding on my back down the highway at 65mph. Was checkin my blind spot to change lanes and when I looked forward the car in front of my had hit his breaks hard. I laid on my breaks too hard and tried to swerve around the left of him but the bike went down. I was wearing all my gear so I walked away with just some bruises and a chunk outta my hand where the asphalt ate through my glove. Tore off my left blinker, left handlebars bent down, shifting lever bent in, plastics all tore to hell. My first question is should I claim this on my insurance, I have full coverage? Second follow up question is if I don't claim it wheres the best place to get replacement parts?

250rr
February 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM
wow. ATGATT is proving its advantages once again! So sorry to hear about your bike, and glad you are relatively ok!

Mountain Dew
February 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM
NEVER brake and swerve at the same time. I know it was the heat of the moment, but you gotta keep a clear head and don't panic. Did you take the MSF?

Best place is ebay, craigslist, or the classified section here. For seals, gaskets, bearings and such, go to the dealer or one of the online OEM suppliers.

mastahcow
February 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
^^ Ya bad choice in a split second. Took the MSF before I even got the bike.

Mountain Dew
February 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Also, since you didn't contact the other car and they didn't stop to exchange information and they didn't admit fault, insurance will likely deem it a single-vehicle accident and call it an at-fault accident. Meaning your rates will go up and such.

This is because despite what the other car did, you were the cause of the accident, because of the actions you took (braking and swerving at the same time).

Source: I had to learn this the hard way when I totaled my evo :(

akima
March 1st, 2012, 10:56 AM
Love the thread title: "Balls asshat". Perfectly describes the thread contents :rolleyes:

Glad you ATGATT it up. What were the gloves that failed you?

Sounds like the incident was totally your fault! We all make mistakes though. I guess you need to leave a bigger distance between you and the car in front, so you have enough time to brake.

To prep myself for these kinda situations, I practice quickly dodging little things in the road.

nickjpass
March 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM
Sucks to hear that. I hope you figure everything out without complications! Get better :o

Trailerboy531
March 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM
You should claim the damage and offer to fix it yourself - work with the adjuster to keep your bike from being totaled and you'll get as much $ as possible.

Glad you're okay - which glove were you wearing?

koenigcitizen
March 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM
NEVER brake and swerve at the same time. I know it was the heat of the moment, but you gotta keep a clear head and don't panic.

Was gonna say the same thing. Traction is a limited commodity, and there is usually not enough of that goodness to go around to break and corner at the same time.

Glad you are ok! That is a fast and scary speed to crash!

MikeBudd
March 1st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Super unlucky man.

It's not to hard to work out how much it will cost you to fix it VS how much your insurance will go up.

If you do those calculations, you will be able to figure out which is cheaper. At that point, choose the cheaper on and your off riding into the sunset.

My brother almost totalled his bike (frame was even bent), but we figured we could fix it for under 1500. His insurance would have gone up close to like 65% or something ridiculous (stupid ICBC), and would have stayed like that for a couple years, definitely more expensive than us fixing it.

NDspd
March 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Ouch man, glad you're some what ok.

What gear were you wearing?

mastahcow
March 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM
Ya know it's my fault. Gear was alpine star textile jacket that held up like a champ, speed and strength helmet which had a plastic piece break where the face shield goes in other than that did great, the gloves were the fox bomber gloves, they did damn good for goin down at that speed it was just like a pencil eraser size hole that wore through. Guess I'll just fix it myself if the rates are gonna go up that high, wish I was more mechanically inclined.

nickjpass
March 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Aren't fox bomber racing gloves for atv's?

Mountain Dew
March 1st, 2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I was about to say, isn't most Fox gear off-road stuff?

nickjpass
March 1st, 2012, 11:26 PM
That could be why they protected against impact, and not abrasion :p

mastahcow
March 2nd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Fix makes gloves for both, the guy teaching the MSF class here had the same ones.

nickjpass
March 2nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
They're off-roading gloves.

mastahcow
March 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Got leather padded palms and molded knuckle same as some of the icon, speed and strength, and the Kawasaki ones you look at them and tell me the difference

TnNinjaGirl
March 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
I have the Fox Bomber gloves. I'd say they are more for impact than abrasion.

nickjpass
March 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Got leather padded palms and molded knuckle same as some of the icon, speed and strength, and the Kawasaki ones you look at them and tell me the difference

The main difference is that one protects against impact and the other abrasion.

mastahcow
March 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Ya still didn't explain how their different, if it's just leather on the palms of the fox ones and just leather on the other brands too how is it different?

Trailerboy531
March 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Levels of protection and impact/abrasion resistance as well as joint protection in the hands.

alex.s
March 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
been there. done that.

ForceofWill
March 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Wow man that sucks. Hate to see another 250er go down. I'll mail you a left blinker and left handle bar if you just pay shipping bro. Pm me if you want em and they're yours.

nickjpass
March 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Ya still didn't explain how their different, if it's just leather on the palms of the fox ones and just leather on the other brands too how is it different?

One protects against abrasion more than impact. Can't really put it any other way. :p