View Full Version : Lowsided today

EthioKnight
February 29th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Well, this week's been tough, to say the least. First, not a day has gone by without threatening clouds enveloping the sky and ceaseless downpours of rain drenching everything, putting a halt to my work on the ninja (shimming carbs and installing the Danmoto slipon). Then while stopped at a stop light, my cage decides to die on me (broken distributor is what the tech tells me) and so with the ninjette grounded and my POS corolla in the shop, I had to clean the dust off my 1984 Honda Spree and start using her as my main means of transportation. Well, all went well for the past two days (not counting the large # of pissed off cagers raving at my 35mph max speed ;)...or maybe they were mad at the reflective "Hawaiian good luck sign" sticker on my helmet :rolleyes:) until early today when I was making my usual trip to school.17261 I was running a bit late and so when I approached the stop sign, I looked around and seeing no cars were around, I went into the right turn @ about 20mph...nearing the apex of my turn, I accelerated and next thing I know, me and my spree were sliding and I was witnessing my right mirror disintegrate with the glass pieces flying everywhere. Of coarse, in the fraction of the time between me entering the turn and laying on my ass, I had the "oh sh!t, I'm going down" moment and I tried to get my scoot upright, but the road was too wet and I was going too fast. Well, going straight to the damage report, my scoot suffered scratches and scuffs to the both right signal lights and a broken right mirror.17262 17263 17265 I must have slide about 10 feet before coming to a stop, and the protruding signal lights served as 'frame sliders' and so my fairings where not touched (yay! Honda!). As to myself, I was fully ATGATT'd (Cortech GX-AIR jacket, Hein Gericke all weather armored pants, Icon Super duty gloves, Alpinestar SVX-R boots and HJC CL-SP lid)...and the only damage was tear to my pants. 17264 All in all, I am very happy that I got to experience the infamous 'lowside' on my 'wimpy' scooter rather than on my precious ninjette :D. I also feel somewhat vindicated for wearing all my gear even on my scoot. What did I learn? Don't get complacent and allow routine to overshadow precaution, abide traffic rules/signs ( I'm going to be actually stopping @ stop signs from now on;)), and most importantly ATGATT (Yes, even whilst on a 50cc scoot!).
Thanks.

gfloyd2002
March 1st, 2012, 04:09 AM
I love, LOVE, that you had full gear on the scooter. Were you wearing the helmet mohawk, too? If not, don't tell me, because the mental image is too cool. I wiped out on a scooter in college without gear, and I was picking gravel out of my leg for days. It totally sucked. Seems like an easy thing to figure out, but most scooter riders don't even wear gloves, let alone riding pants. So good for you. This guy has not figured it out yet:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/touring-models/62096d1250008181-batwing-windshield-funny-scooter-1.jpg

I also love that you used the phrase "nearing the apex of my turn" and referred to the scooter as a "her." Sounds like you may have confused a Spree with a performance bike for a second or two. For the record, scooters are hermaphroditic and you are required to use the turn "lumbering" instead of "apexing." :p This guy, who also confused a scooter with a performance bike, also met the pavement as a result:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bD11zKvar2o/SGiJfkRNitI/AAAAAAAACp8/SMJBs-5D8Hs/s400/scooter-drag-helmet.jpg

EthioKnight
March 1st, 2012, 06:35 AM
@Brit...you're absolutely right, I messed up on the throttle control, I guess I have more respect for my scoot now.
@Floyd, LOL man, my scooty already resents me for buying the ninjette and relegating her to the far corner of the garage...using anything but sweet words and riding her in noway other than I would my ninjette would not be wise ;)
p.s. I wasn't riding with my mohawk, I usually wear that lid when I'm on the 'jette, and despite some of my scooter riding buddies who think it's a bit of an overkill to ride in gear, I do, and it paid off :)

NDspd
March 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM
Hahaha...sorry this is kind a funny. Glad you're ok man, and you didn't really get hurt other than your ego. It's funny how with very little power accidents can still happen.

Great job wearing all of your gear, I would.

EthioKnight
March 1st, 2012, 08:23 AM
tnx bud, i know it was quite the commical sight, thank da lord no one was around to enjoy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

FrugalNinja250
March 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Did you run the stop sign?

EthioKnight
March 1st, 2012, 04:54 PM
In no uncertain terms...Yes, I did :)
"Run" is such a strong word though...I slowed from doing 30ish to 20ish/18ish, checked to see no one was around, and ...well...lost it :)

akima
March 4th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Sorry to hear you messed up your beloved Spree.

gfloyd2002: you made me lol!

MikeBudd
March 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bD11zKvar2o/SGiJfkRNitI/AAAAAAAACp8/SMJBs-5D8Hs/s400/scooter-drag-helmet.jpg

#winning.

This is super hardcore.

PS: Glad your ok. ATGATT on a scooter FTW

EthioKnight
March 7th, 2012, 04:02 PM
PS: Glad your ok. ATGATT on a scooter FTW

:thumbup:

geeker
March 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM
In no uncertain terms...Yes, I did :)
"Run" is such a strong word though...I slowed from doing 30ish to 20ish/18ish, checked to see no one was around, and ...well...lost it :)

So what you are saying is: "If I stopped, looked both ways, and then made my turn we wouldn't be having this discussion", right? Glad you are alright. :D

EthioKnight
March 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM
lol, pretty much. In my disregard for traffic rules, what could have been an easy, do whilst blind folded, manuever became a helplessly slide on your ass type of deal :(
Fudge me & my arrogance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Domagoj
March 9th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Sometimes it just happens. I don't think it's throttle control. It just might be a slightly different patch of asphalt which simply didn't provide the same grip as the rest of the road.

I had a 50cc before - Peugeot Speedfight 2. I crashed once in the wet, on a straight. The guy in front of me just slammed on the brakes, for no reason whatsoever. I had to brake too, and well...
What I was really saying is that you have a wonderful little scooter - these older models are actually the essence of the scooter idea. Small, rediculously light, and cheap to buy and own.

Good that you were wearing your gear. I was laughed at for it every day, but it was worth it, same as in your case. :thumbup: