View Full Version : I lost my only key

the_game
August 24th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Is there anywhere on the newer Gen 250's where the key code is stamped on the bike, similar to how they are stamped on the helmet lock on the older models. I bought a salvaged bike to which the insurance company had lost the key. I did get a locksmith to make me a key but he had a lot of trouble. He couldn't get the key to work in the seat lock. I do now have a key that will work in the ignition, and the gas cap, but not in the seat lock. I was hoping to somehow track down the key code and get an original key made. Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg_E
August 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The nearest dealer should be able to get you the proper key based on the VIN number, but you will probably have to prove that you own it and wait for them to order it from Japan.

noche_caliente
August 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
John, welcome to the forums! As to the key, my dealer at Hillbilly Cycle Sales said they could make a key from the 4 digit code that came with the spare key - consensus over at KF is that you're pretty much out of luck, but it couldn't hurt to give them a call

kkim
August 24th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yes, I believe that's what I remember, too. There should have been a small metal plate w/ a 4 digit key code on it that the original owner got when the bike was new from the dealer, along with the spare key.

Momaru
August 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
If I remember right, my key code was actually stamped on on the outside of the lock cylinder on the bike. Found it while de-icing the lock one morning, after leaving it out in the rain last year before I had a cover.

Edit: Yep, it is stamped on the key cylinder housing (see red spot in the picture). Not sure if this is true of everyone, but it is for me. Kim or Nick, if my bike suddenly goes missing, I'll know who to talk to first :p

the_game
August 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Momaru.

I looked at the bike and there is a 4 digit number stamped there. Have you confirmed that it is the same number as the code that was on the tag that came with your keys? This would be the great if that is my key code, but I thought it would be much harder to get at, as on the older bikes it is on the inside of the helmet lock (which you shouldn't be able to get at without a key)

Can anyone else that has there key code tags check and see if this code matches. Thanks for all the help.

I checked with my local dealer and they have told me they can not make a key by the vin. He said that some dealers will record the key codes from the bikes they sell. He said my only chance would be to see if I can find the dealer that sold the bike, and if they recorded the code. Otherwise its order new locks, or find a better locksmith.

Talonne
August 25th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I am no help, but... *waves to fellow Albertan* :)

Greg_E
August 25th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Your dealer is lazy, they should be able to order it from Japan. How much would a key cost to have it cut from the number stamped and give it a try? And your dealer should know if that code stamped is the correct number to cut a key (or be able and willing to find out).

Momaru
August 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM
The 4-digit stamped number matches the number on the metal plate that's attached to my spare key, so as far as I can tell, that is indeed the key code. I agree with your concern about the safety of this number being printed on an easily accessible surface, but in this case I think it's a boon.

Your dealer is lazy...And your dealer should know if that code stamped is the correct number to cut a key (or be able and willing to find out). +1

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/125362-key-code.html

Momaru
August 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Failsauce. Sorry man, thought we had it there. :(

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Paul,

Quite the contrary... read this post towards the end of that thread. :)

http://www.kawiforums.com/1477370-post20.html

Momaru
August 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Ahaha, :D Thanks Kelly!

Wonder why this is such a PitA to do (other than reasons mentioned in the other forum). I mean, people lose their keys every day. Heck, I wind up locating my bosses' keys for him at least twice a week just because he's that forgetful.

That said, I live reasonably close to Hillbilly Cycle sales that Artood2s mentions in his post, so I'd be happy to liaison the key if need be (promise I won't get a 'spare' made for myself of your code). Dunno how eager they are to deal with you Canadians, but I'm happy to if they aren't :p

kkim
August 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Great offer, Paul. I love it when forum members make themselves available to help other members who have a unique situation to overcome. Props to you, sir. :thumbup:

No real idea on why it's so hard to get a spare made... most likely, as mentioned earlier, lazy dealers.

noche_caliente
August 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
One of these days, Hillbilly will become famous for the key issue :) Thanks for linking the thread Kelly - I hadn't seen his resolution yet :)

Greg_E
August 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I find it hard to believe this is such an issue... I've walked into the Chevy dealer with nothing more than the VIN on my registration and had a key cut while I waited. Did the same at a Volkswagen for a 15 year old Beetle. The only keys that are really hard for car dealers are some of the ones with the chip and or RF device inside to prevent thievery (Mercedes are a really tough thing to get done).

noche_caliente
August 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I know it's been a while but I wanted to update my post. The dealer that a Kawi member referred me to, Hillbilly Cycle Sales in West Virginia, was finally able to get me a key cut by code. The charge was ~$40 and took about a week (requested regular mail) to receive. So if any dealer/locksmith tells you that there is no way to cut the key by code, they are mistaken and/or lying. The gentleman that I spoke to was Reggie and he was extremely helpful and courteous. Too bad the dealers in South Florida (that I have been to) are not more like that.

g21-30
August 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
The 4-digit stamped number matches the number on the metal plate that's attached to my spare key, so as far as I can tell, that is indeed the key code. I agree with your concern about the safety of this number being printed on an easily accessible surface, but in this case I think it's a boon.

On my '09, the stamped number near the ignition switch matches the code on the metal plate attached to my spare key also!

the_game
August 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't been down to the dealer since he told me they couldn't do it by the vin. I'll head down there this week. I'll be pissed if they knew this code was stamped there and were too lazy to order me a key.
Thanks again for all the help.

Momaru
August 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
No problem at all. Hope your dealer's willing to help once you spell it out for him and tell 'em something they should've known from the get-go. My previous offer stands (for anyone that needs it) should things be problematic.

Glad you're not up the creek without a paddle, even if it is a little difficult to get to.

stryder
April 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
so i drove my bike home yesterday, parked it.
went through the back gate (which does not require a key to open), saw my dog, played with it for about 5 minutes. went into my house took off my gear and took a nap until my gf came over. went out to eat. came back home. (censored). walked my gf out to her car around 1am. went to move my bike and realized i couldnt find my keys. searched outside my house and in my room for about 30 minutes, no luck. used my spare to move my bike all the way into the backyard and chained it up with some lock and chains i had laying around.

the keyring has my bike key, disc lock key, house key, and rear house key. :eek:

searched my house and around the house again for about 1-2 hours this morning. still no luck.

here are my possibilities.
1. its still in my room/house somewhere
2. i left it in the ignition/dropped it outside and someone grabbed it (or mother nature snatched it)
3. i dropped it in my backyard and my dog hid it somewhere as it is not in plain view

i cant remember for the life of me anything to do with the keys after parking my bike. because the whole time im assuming it was in my room next to my helmet and gloves like it normally is.

worst case scenario is option #2 because now i have to worry about my bike being stolen & my house being broken into. i really hope this is not the case, but until i find my keys it is still a possibility.

i have a spare bike key and disc lock key but it does me no good if someone has a copy as well...........

wtf should i do...this ****ing sucks.

edbro
April 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I hope you have theft coverage just in case it is number 2.

CC Cowboy
April 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I think your g/f has the keys. Bring her over here and I'll search her for them.

BlueRaven
April 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Did you check inside your gloves, helmet in and under the bed, jacket pockets? You never know. I've lost them in stranger places like the fridge. I sure hope you find them for your piece of mind. Borrow a metal detector or a strong magnet pick up tool.

I can't see anyone taking the keys without stealing the bike. Good luck.

CC Cowboy
April 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Did you check inside your gloves, helmet in and under the bed, jacket pockets? You never know. I've lost them in stranger places like the fridge. I sure hope you find them for your piece of mind. Borrow a metal detector or a strong magnet pick up tool.

I'm sure he has an entire mind. Even if he is only using a piece of it. Peace babycakes.

I'm still available to frisk the g/f.

Snake
April 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'm sure he has a entire mind. Even if he is only using a piece of it. Peace babycakes.

I'm still available to frisk the g/f.

CC do you have some hand cuffs for her in case she is the culprit?

stryder
April 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I think your g/f has the keys. Bring her over here and I'll search her for them.

will do cap'n :thumbup:

stryder
April 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM

yea i checked in all those places cuz i rode the bike to work today with my spare, ill try the fridge when i get home.

metal detector sounds like a grand idea ill have to try that. thanks

stryder
April 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
tonight i may leave my bike outside in plain view and camp out in a discreet spot where i can still see my bike. i will have my 9mm smith & wesson with me. im sure this is not legal but i am pissed to hell. some mother****er is gonna get the scare of his life tonight.

BlueRaven
April 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Babycakes??? I think your starting to soften up cc. You need a good beyatch slapping to toughen you up again.

Snake
April 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
tonight i may leave my bike outside in plain view and camp out in a discreet spot where i can still see my bike. i will have my 9mm smith & wesson with me. im sure this is not legal but i am pissed to hell. some mother****er is gonna get the scare of his life tonight.

Babycakes??? I think your starting to soften up cc. You need a good beyatch slapping to toughen you up again.

Watch out CC! When you go over there to frisk the g/f you have a 9 mm and a beyatch slapping waiting on ya. :eek:

:rotflmao:

CC Cowboy
April 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM
As long as there is no handcuffs (this time).

Samer
April 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Sucks bigtime man. Just a thought, did you check by the mailbox? Every time I go to the mailbox of our community there are some random keys on the table. Presumably someone finds them on the street and that table is like the de facto lost and found (it is an indoor mail area in our clubhouse). I still think most people are decent and can sympathize with someone losing their keys when they spot them on the street. Then again, there are a lot of A-holes out there too.

bdavison
April 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I changed all my locks in the house out to keyless deadbolt....because I hate keys. And this way, I can re-code it at will, and I can get in the house by punching in a few numbers. No more worrying about lost keys.

talldrink
April 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Maybe your dog swallowed them? (hope not) Follow him around for a few days after his feeding and see what he "produces". :doggy:

cnichols79us
April 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Uhhhhhh.....PLEASE DON"T Kevin. I have quite a bit of law enforcement training under my belt and this is a PERFECT example of Possible Victim becoming the Perpitrator.....

BESIDE the fact you live in one of the most Anti-Gun states and the Police LOVE spanking people that use them (lawfully OR not), say you catch the guy trying to start your bike and take it, you run out with your gun....

IF things go WELL for you, I promise you that you would most likely end up with charges of your own depending on what went down. Property crimes DO NOT WARRENT AND CANNOT JUSTIFY use of deadly force. You CANNOT wander OUTSIDE your residence to stop a property crime with a gun and not plan to need a lawyer in this day in age. Sadly, the Criminal will be the victim.......

NOW, if you end up going out there and the guy pulls a knife or gun and you HAVE to use yours, you have already posted your intentions on a public internet forum and you are looking at a Premeditated Charge, among MANY others, in the hands of a Crafty D.A., especially in California.... Not worth it!!!!!!! Stake it out, wait with your phone inside, call the Police.....

I am only saying this to give you a little more to think about as I am sure you were only being sarcastic because of the situation. Just PLEASE don't put yourself in one!

cnichols79us
April 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM

:tape2::rotflmao::rofl::rofl::rotflmao::rotflmao:

You SO NASTY......

kobachi
April 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I seem to have lost my key in the last 24 hours. I bought the bike used, and can't remember if I received a second key or not -- should I have?

If not, is it possible to order a new key from Kawasaki, or will I need to replace the whole lock cylinder?

Reswob
April 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Theoretically, your dealer should be able to order a new key from Kawi using the VIN. However, the bike comes with a small metal tag with a 4-digit number on one of the keys, and I believe the manual warns against losing it, as it claims that number is the only way to get a replacement key.

Alex
April 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Info in this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40349

and this one:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27349

kobachi
April 19th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks all! Apologies for the repeated thread, the inability to search for 3-character terms is a real drag. I just found my spare (thought I'd lost it, too!), so I'll take to a dealer and see if I can get a copy.

Alex
April 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
the inability to search for 3-character terms is a real drag.

Agreed! There's no easy way around it. MySQL sets the minimum length at 4 for fulltext search, and strongly warns against moving it down to 3 as the server load take a surprisingly substantial hit. I'll keep this in mind for testing at some point, but it's near the bottom of the list.

kkim
April 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Agreed! There's no easy way around it. MySQL sets the minimum length at 4 for fulltext search, and strongly warns against moving it down to 3 as the server load take a surprisingly substantial hit. I'll keep this in mind for testing at some point, but it's near the bottom of the list.

is it possible to set it to include selective 3 letter words?

kobachi
April 20th, 2010, 02:40 AM

Surely the forum is not doing fulltext search of every post on every search? There must be an index somewhere, built into either vBulletin, MySQL, or both. While I certainly won't presume to know the amount of traffic ninjette.org sees, I am a software engineer by both education and occupation. For the size of the dataset and the usage scenario here, and considering that the "one per ten second" limit is also enabled on searches here, I'd have a hard time seeing a significant affect on server performance by lowering the limit to three characters. I imagine the MySQL warning is a generic one, meant to keep people out of trouble who wouldn't know any better. Maybe give it a shot and, if things get too slow, simply put it back up?

Alex
April 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM
is it possible to set it to include selective 3 letter words?

Nope. It used to be if you use the old-style vbulletin built-in search, but everyone migrated to the mysql fulltext search years back as it's orders of magnitude quicker.

Surely the forum is not doing fulltext search of every post on every search? There must be an index somewhere, built into either vBulletin, MySQL, or both. While I certainly won't presume to know the amount of traffic ninjette.org sees, I am a software engineer by both education and occupation. For the size of the dataset and the usage scenario here, and considering that the "one per ten second" limit is also enabled on searches here, I'd have a hard time seeing a significant affect on server performance by lowering the limit to three characters. I imagine the MySQL warning is a generic one, meant to keep people out of trouble who wouldn't know any better. Maybe give it a shot and, if things get too slow, simply put it back up?

It's on the list, but it's not high priority. The how-to is up here (link (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html)), but I need to see if my current host allows those modifications to mysql. Many shared hosting platforms don't allow access to those parameters, but I believe on our current one it may be possible.

CZroe
April 22nd, 2010, 12:14 AM
The previous owner may have written the code in the manual as instructed. Also, I hear that it is stamped somewhere near the key hole.

sinblesser
May 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hahh, thanks for this post, the old owner of my bike never gave me the number for it.

Alex
May 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
OK - I've updated the mysql parameters, and we can now search for 3-letter search terms on this site. It'll be that much easier when somebody asks about a key going forward. :)

kkim
May 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
yay!! :D

kobachi
May 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
OK - I've updated the mysql parameters, and we can now search for 3-letter search terms on this site. It'll be that much easier when somebody asks about a key going forward. :)

Excellent! Thank you! =)

Yasko
November 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Do I need a $13 blank key? :ibeenripped:

What are my options?:help:

2WheelGuy
November 30th, 2010, 10:34 AM
You should be able to get a pre-gen blank from most locksmiths for a couple bucks.

I haven't seen any generic blanks for the new-gen 250s, 2008+. I had to purchase an OEM blank for mine.

FrugalNinja250
November 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM
The OEM plastic-headed Kawasaki key is uber-expensive for a blank IMHO. Cheapest I've seen one of those is around $14. Ron Ayers has them for $8 and change plus shipping, FWIW. On the other hand, the ILCO X266 (or X103 for pre-1999 bikes) typically only costs a couple of bucks. From reports, the X266 will require some slight filing to work properly, but when I cut my own key I didn't have to do that. From several cross reference books I see that the Ilco X41 KA14 is supposed to be the correct blank. I haven't looked at that blank so don't know how accurate it is. Check out a local independent locksmith for blanks, you may be pleasantly surprised at price.

Some reference material on keys:

http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.php?mode=topicreview&t=66079&tro=1

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?p=791518#791518

onetruevibe
November 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I had a bad scare a few weeks ago, thinking I had lost my only key.:eek:

From what I've read on this forum and on others - that is a nightmare.

After finding it I immediately (after doing a happy dance) ordered a blank from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230546307106&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:1123#ht_500wt_956

USD12.56 is a small price to pay, IMHO.

Next up - find someone to cut the blank.:rolleyes:

ithaca00
November 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM
My local ACE hardware had the generic blanks for both my classic and new gen bike. If it's a street bike I recommend riding there so you can test the key in all locks so they can make corrections as needed.

Alex
November 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
From what I've read on this forum and on others - that is a nightmare.

How so? The key code is right on the bike, and any Kawi dealer can cut a new key based on that key code. In fact, it seems almost too easy to create a key that will start the bike (that may or may not belong to you). :eek:

Info in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40349) and this one (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27349).

FrugalNinja250
November 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
A lot of independent locksmiths also bought the code key book for Kawasaki bikes. The one down the street from me can cut a code key easily.

CZroe
November 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
How so? The key code is right on the bike, and any Kawi dealer can cut a new key based on that key code. In fact, it seems almost too easy to create a key that will start the bike (that may or may not belong to you). :eek:

Info in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40349) and this one (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27349).
I read something about the keymakers refusing to cut it because they'd have to dedicate a cutting wheel for the metal type. IIRC, it was aluminum when most were steel.

Yasko
November 30th, 2010, 10:43 PM
A lot of independent locksmiths also bought the code key book for Kawasaki bikes. The one down the street from me can cut a code key easily.

I'm in sw Ft Worth(hulen st). Where can I find this locksmith this weekend?

Momaru
November 30th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I dunno about local to you, but if you need a new key cut from your code and aren't having any luck in your area, I know a dealer near me that does it. Hillbilly Cycle Sales in Princeton, WV. Happy to liaison for ya if you need it.

I had an OEM blank cut by my local TrueValue though. Not sure what this business is about needing to dedicate a separate cutting machine though... if our keys are aluminum vs the 'standard' steel, a normal wheel would cut our keys like butter.

ryu hayabusa
November 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM
. From several cross reference books I see that the Ilco X41 KA14 is supposed to be the correct blank. I haven't looked at that blank so don't know how accurate it is. [/url]

i tried that key, it barely worked on the gas cap, it didn't work at all on the ignition. maybe it needs filed?

FrugalNinja250
December 1st, 2010, 06:57 AM
I read something about the keymakers refusing to cut it because they'd have to dedicate a cutting wheel for the metal type. IIRC, it was aluminum when most were steel.

Nah, all the Kawi keys I've seen are brass. Some aluminum keys are out there in house keys but the cutting isn't any different really. I've not seen steel keys anywhere at all.

FrugalNinja250
December 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM
I'm in sw Ft Worth(hulen st). Where can I find this locksmith this weekend?

Acme Safe Key & Lock
602 West Pipeline Road (NW corner of Hurstview)
Hurst, TX 76053-4926
(817) 282-7441

They were really decent to me, even gave me some Toyota key wafers to play with so I could re-key some locks on my bike.

Yasko
December 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Acme Safe Key & Lock
602 West Pipeline Road (NW corner of Hurstview)
Hurst, TX 76053-4926
(817) 282-7441

They were really decent to me, even gave me some Toyota key wafers to play with so I could re-key some locks on my bike.

:lock1: Thank you.

FrugalNinja250
December 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Ordered 6 OEM key blanks from Ron Ayers today, should be here in a week or two. Once they get here I'll track down the Ilco key blanks (X266, X103, X41) and measure/study them to see what all is different, and post what I find here and over on Ninja250.org. Then I'll cut a new key for my bike. :)

CZroe
December 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Nah, all the Kawi keys I've seen are brass. Some aluminum keys are out there in house keys but the cutting isn't any different really. I've not seen steel keys anywhere at all.

Obviously, I[didn't]RC. :)

So, what I was told then was that the type of metal used in the Kawi key was different than most keys and that keymakers were reluctant to dedicate a cutting wheel to it. Something about the metal bits embedded in the wheel after using it meaning that they can't use it on another type of metal for some reason.

FrugalNinja250
December 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Obviously, I[didn't]RC. :)

So, what I was told then was that the type of metal used in the Kawi key was different than most keys and that keymakers were reluctant to dedicate a cutting wheel to it. Something about the metal bits embedded in the wheel after using it meaning that they can't use it on another type of metal for some reason.

Straight BS. Probably didn't want to cut the key so made up a lame excuse rather than just say no.

Memengkamatis
December 6th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Bought key blanks on Ebay from a dealer from Hialeah, Fl. He said to insert the keys onto the locks to make sure the profile is correct then took it to a locksmith to be cut. Rode the bike there and tested each one. Cost was $5.56 each blank and $2 bucks to cut. Ride safe.

Meng

onetruevibe
December 6th, 2010, 07:35 AM

I agree, locating the key code is way too easy - but apparently finding someone who can actually cut the key from the code is not so straightforward. I was basing my comment on what I read in this thread on KF:

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/125362-key-code-3.html

Yet even the authors of the threads you link to have found the process to be a real PITA. It seems Hillbilly Cycle Sales in West Virginia is the place to go :noidea:

n4mwd
December 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I had mine made by a local locksmith. The cost was $10 for a look-a-like kawi key. The new key is indistinguishable from the original except that it doesn't say "Kawasaki" on it.

FrugalNinja250
December 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Does your new key have a rubber coated head on it? The blanks I've seen, at least the Ilco ones, are all metal.

n4mwd
December 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Mine has the rubber head exactly like the original. The name on it is "SILCA - Made in Italy." The blank number is: KW12BP. Regarding code cut keys, my locksmith charges $50 for those.

FrugalNinja250
December 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Silca is no longer sold in the states, but I found a distributor who had some old stock. Got ten blanks on order for less than $20, should be here next week. I have the Ilco blanks and hopefully the OEM Kawasaki blanks will be here shortly.

Ichiro
December 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
The problems people have referred to having to do with keys, codes, cutting,etc.were related to the 2008 and new gen Ninjas, not pre-2008 models.

n4mwd
December 11th, 2010, 04:54 AM
The blank codes I gave were for the 2006 model. I don't know if they fit anything else. I live in South Florida and my locksmith had no problem getting the Silca blanks.

Do the new-gen keys have chips or something?

Momaru
December 11th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Nope, just a different blank
Kinda wish our bikes were that high tech, but do you really think Kawasaki would put an electronic ignition control system in a bike they couldn't be bothered to consistently put FI into? :p

CZroe
December 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
The problems people have referred to having to do with keys, codes, cutting,etc.were related to the 2008 and new gen Ninjas, not pre-2008 models.

Thanks for clearing that up.

onetruevibe
December 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I just got back from the local hardware store where they cut my 2008 OEM key blank.

The younger guys there wouldn't touch it so they called the old-timer/owner back and he was very hesitant and offered no guarantees. I asked why and he said that his machine couldn't hold the key properly in the clamps, making it impossible to use the other key as an exact guide. He'd have to "eye-ball" it.

Good enough for me - he whipped it out for $1.50. :thumbup: Although, I did get a little nervous when the blank slipped out of the clamp at one point and shot across the room. :p

Anyway, I'm no key-cutting expert, so his story may have been rubbish, but I thought I'd share.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx334/onetruevibe/IMG_2468.jpg

Ichiro
December 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I just got back from the local hardware store where they cut my 2008 OEM key blank.

The younger guys there wouldn't touch it so they called the old-timer/owner back and he was very hesitant and offered no guarantees. I asked why and he said that his machine couldn't hold the key properly in the clamps, making it impossible to use the other key as an exact guide. He'd have to "eye-ball" it.

Good enough for me - he whipped it out for $1.50. :thumbup: Although, I did get a little nervous when the blank slipped out of the clamp at one point and shot across the room. :p

Anyway, I'm no key-cutting expert, so his story may have been rubbish, but I thought I'd share.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx334/onetruevibe/IMG_2468.jpg

So are these New Gen OEM keys steel or brass? Sure looks like steel.

Yasko
December 22nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Silca is no longer sold in the states, but I found a distributor who had some old stock. Got ten blanks on order for less than $20, should be here next week. I have the Ilco blanks and hopefully the OEM Kawasaki blanks will be here shortly.

How are the blanks?
Wanna sell one?

n4mwd
December 23rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
So are these New Gen OEM keys steel or brass? Sure looks like steel.

Key blanks in general are made of brass or nickel plated brass. Occasionally, you see them made out of magnesium. I've never seen a key made out of steel. It would be too hard to cut. One way to check is with a magnet.

FrugalNinja250
December 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM
How are the blanks?
Wanna sell one?

They're actually very good repros of the OEM key. The length overall is slightly different, like maybe 1/16"-1/8", but that has no effect whatsoever on functionality. I can sell one, sure. Do you use paypal? I'm thinking $3 including postage to you assuming you're in the lower 48.

WRT the steel/brass key thing, I haven't had a chance to investigate the new bike keys yet. My first impression is that it would be a horrendously bad idea to make a key out of steel because the wafers in the lock are brass. A steel key would act like a saw and rapidly destroy the lock's innards. All the keys I've seen are nickel plated which makes them look like steel but they're not. A magnet quickly tests that theory. Next time I'm by the dealer I'll be taking a magnet to check out the new bike keys.

Ichiro
December 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM
You're right. Just tested mine( New gen. 2008) with a magnet and they are not steel.

Yasko
December 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
FrugalNinja250 sent you a pm.

bedian
December 27th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Key blanks in general are made of brass or nickel plated brass. Occasionally, you see them made out of magnesium. I've never seen a key made out of steel. It would be too hard to cut. One way to check is with a magnet.

+1

zdoc
January 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM
Managed to lose both my keys somehow. Can kawasaki cut me a key from my key code and does anybody know how much it is?

noche_caliente
January 1st, 2011, 08:20 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27349
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42709
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61320

zdoc
January 1st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks Im going to try calling my dealer and if not then hillbilly on tuesday.

zdoc
January 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Just an update, called three dealers today and none of them could cut me a key. They all told me my key code was not a valid number or there was no information in their books. So i gave hill billy cycles http://www.hillbillycycle.net/ a call and he took down my information. I should have two new keys within 2 weeks. He seemed like a nice guy and apparently he has had to cut keys for people all over the place.

noche_caliente
January 4th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the follow-up and I'm glad that they could take care of you :)

Yasko
January 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Michel's Keys and Locksmith in Colleyville cut my blank ebay key for free.:happy80:
I now have a key to keep in my wallet, one stashed at home, and one on the keyring.

FrugalNinja250
January 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Michel's Keys and Locksmith in Colleyville cut my blank ebay key for free.:happy80:
I now have a key to keep in my wallet, one stashed at home, and one on the keyring.

Yeah, they're good people. That's where I got several of the blanks I used for the writeup I did.

sujan1985
January 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Are you guys sure about the stamped key code on the bike? I too have it on my 2008 Ninja 250, with that can I order a pair of new keys, Did the above method worked for you?

Thanks in advance for reply...

Alex
January 25th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Worked fine for at least one person in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40349).

g21-30
January 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Are you guys sure about the stamped key code on the bike? I too have it on my 2008 Ninja 250, with that can I order a pair of new keys, Did the above method worked for you?

Thanks in advance for reply...

The code stamped on the ignition is the SAME for my '09! :thumbup:

zdoc
January 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I had two keys cut for me by hillbilly cycles a couple weeks ago by the code and my vin. He was great to deal with and I had two keys at my house within a week for 75$ I think. Apparently he has cut keys for people all across north america :eek:. Good people to deal with though.

rachellowd
February 11th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hill Billy Cycles in West Virginia will order you a key from the manufacturer!!!!! I tried everything and they were able to help me!

moyin
June 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
hi everyone , i just lost my only key on fathers day:(. I been reading you coments about this issue and it seems like my only option i guess is the motorcycle place in virginia. I already call three diferents locksmith shops and they sais that the code number has to have a letter in front of it. i dont think that is true.

thank you al for your help I will let you guys know the out come.

thanks again!

Momaru
June 20th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Depending on your model year, there may be a letter for the code, but I really find myself doubting if Kawasaki changed the policy of stamping.

My offer still stands to liaison for anyone that needs it for Hillbilly; they're only about 40mins up the road from me. Sounds like they're totally willing to deal with folks via mail though, which is cool. Noche_caliente, you should really be getting a commission from Hillbilly for posting them as the go-to folks, wonder how many people have gone there for keys from this thread alone.

matha028
June 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
I guess I should start researching this key issue before I need another one. $75 for 2 keys seems steep. But knowing the code is on the bike makes me alot less paranoid about losing that code tag. Now if only I can remember it is there if/when I ever need it.

Momaru
June 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
I guess I should start researching this key issue before I need another one. $75 for 2 keys seems steep. But knowing the code is on the bike makes me alot less paranoid about losing that code tag. Now if only I can remember it is there if/when I ever need it.

As an alternative, you can order blanks from Kawasaki off any OEM parts supplier website (~$10/blank) and have it cut to match your current key by a good local locksmith. Then put it somewhere safe so you've got a spare when you need it. Just don't put it somewhere so safe you won't be able to find it, like I always wind up doing... :o

ninja_sleeper
March 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
It happened probably about 3 months ago, and I made some calls to get some info on getting a new one without changing the ignition housing.

If anyone has additional information on what I need to tell a locksmith to get a key remade, it would be very helpful. I have my key code, but it seems pretty generic and I'm not sure if they can make a key that fits off it....

Any experience or pointers would be awesome..

Thanks

Ichiro
March 5th, 2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96479&highlight=key+code

choneofakind
March 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Since you don't have the Kawasaki key to use as a template for finding a generic key, you might just have to pay up and go to Kawasaki dealership and pay the fee for an oem key, and use the key code to have them cut it.

Then take that key to a good locksmith and have them find a blank that works fits in your lock, and have them cut it to fit. Go to an actual locksmith, not just a hardware store. A spare is always a good idea. Keep the original somewhere safe (along with the code that's on the lock) and use the spare daily.

ninja_sleeper
March 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Ichiro, exactly what I needed. Thanks. Calling Hillbilly tomorrow.

leed
March 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM
If it doesn't work out (it should, though), the other option is to replace your ignition, gas cap, and seat lock with someone who races their bike!

ninja_sleeper
April 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
I called Hillbilly Cycle Sales in West Virginia, and I got the key in the mail today. Worked perfect and just got back from a 3 hour ride. Thanks for the references!

Alex
April 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
:thumbup:

CalvinAmI
April 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
I called Hillbilly Cycle Sales in West Virginia, and I got the key in the mail today. Worked perfect and just got back from a 3 hour ride. Thanks for the references!

Are you going to start Vlogging again? :cool:

alex.s
April 3rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
hey carrie, send me your address and ill come by and hotwire the girl for ya :P

ninja_sleeper
April 8th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I would like to start vlogging again. I sold my camera.....

ali310
April 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Yo did hillbilly end up coming through with the key?

CynicalC
April 25th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Yo did hillbilly end up coming through with the key?

I don't know, did they?

ali310
April 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I don't know, did they?

Didn't see the post! thanks though!

ninja_sleeper
April 26th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Yea they came through. They are super super sweet too. The have that southern hospitality attitude, even though they are kinda on the east coast. ha. Bunch of sweethearts. Talk to Matt in service.

conrya5
June 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I just went to my local motorcycle store Martin Motorsports and got a key copied that looks like the OEM key for my 02 Ninja 250 off of the key I had on me for 13$ Looks nice and works perfectly!

http://i49.tinypic.com/24edqw4.jpg

DroHernandez
August 6th, 2013, 10:43 AM
As the title says, I can't find my key. The steering wheel is unlocked. I don't know what to do. I called a locksmith and he said its $150 for a new key and $75 to come do it at my house which is the only way I can do it. Does $225 sound like a ridiculous price? Because it sounds really ridiculous to me.

parox91
August 6th, 2013, 10:44 AM
As the title says, I can't find my key. The steering wheel is unlocked. I don't know what to do. I called a locksmith and he said its $150 for a new key and $75 to come do it at my house which is the only way I can do it. Does $225 sound like a ridiculous price? Because it sounds really ridiculous to me.

Theres numbers behind a fairing

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_do_I_need_to_know_about_keys%3F

read: What if I lose all my keys?

DroHernandez
August 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM

What is a helmet lock?

parox91
August 6th, 2013, 10:52 AM
What is a helmet lock?

Idk if the new-gens have it, but on the pregen above the left exhaust, there is a helmet lock

Motofool
August 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM
.........I can't find my key..........

The key is somewhere, .........find it !!!

tfkrocks
August 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Caveat with that, the key code might not match. I actually destroyed the helmet lock on my pregen to get to the key code and it ended up making a key that didn't work. If they locksmith just makes a new key directly from the ignition, then it's guaranteed to work.

However, I feel like the locksmith is charging way too much. When my friend lost the keys to her scooter, it only cost her about $30 for a new key. Granted we towed the scooter to the locksmith ourselves but still it wasn't anywhere near that expensive.

Motofool
August 6th, 2013, 11:00 AM
........or you could buy a switch with keys and replace it:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=Kawasaki+EX250+EX500+EX+Ninja+250R+Ignition+switch+key&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_rdc=1

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_replace_the_ignition_switch

How is the healing coming along?

subxero
August 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Sounds like divine intervention, listen to it.

J/k but I couldn't resist :D

Like motofool said, look for it. Make sure you look in common places where people throw stuff. I once helped my friend break into the trunk of his own car cuz he insisted he locked his keys in it.... 2hrs of scrapping the crap out of his door interior and weather stripping trying to pop driverside lock we got the car open and popped the trunk and what do you know....no key to be found. Found it an hour later on a small shelf in his kitchen under a napkin :rolleyes:

good luck

P.S. edit - I would also like to point out that I had lost a set of keys to a car I had years upon years ago.... I looked forever for them, they had to have been around my house somewhere but no luck. I expected to find them years later while cleaning or something but they still have never turned up. I only assume I dropped them in the dirt somewhere and they got buried, only thing I can think of to why they never turned up.

tfkrocks
August 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Since the steering is unlocked, find someone with a truck and ramp and tow it yourself. Save yourself a few bucks. Definitely try asking different locksmiths as well.

sunspots
August 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I've read up getting keys cut before and I could've sworn it only cost like $7 to get a new key and get it cut at a locksmith.

And like $14-$20 if getting it done at the dealership.

subxero
August 6th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I've read up getting keys cut before and I could've sworn it only cost like $7 to get a new key and get it cut at a locksmith.

And like $14-$20 if getting it done at the dealership.

I think this is the case if in fact you have a key to use as a model, but if you have no key, then the lock smith has to make a mold or something to that effect of the ignition (IDK how it works, i'm not a locksmith) after he gets the mold then he can use that to create a key with the proper grooves and notches which you are paying for his time and skill set = more than $20 bucks

tfkrocks
August 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I think this is the case if in fact you have a key to use as a model, but if you have no key, then the lock smith has to make a mold or something to that effect of the ignition (IDK how it works, i'm not a locksmith) after he gets the mold then he can use that to create a key with the proper grooves and notches which you are paying for his time and skill set = more than $20 bucks

Was just as cheap for my friend who needed an entirely new key cut. Actually I ended up getting a completely new key cut for my pregen from the ignition as well because my one original key was too worn to make a decent copy. Still only cost about $30.

subxero
August 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM
^ interesting, perhaps it is easier to do than I imagine and I am giving locksmith to much credit.

but yeah I really have no idea how much it should cost but would expect $40 at least. I think there is a lock smith on this forum....trying to remember who it is...:confused:

Alex
August 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM
/merged a few "lost mey key" threads; there's a bunch of good information throughout on what people have done to get a working key. :thumbup:

DroHernandez
August 6th, 2013, 01:26 PM
This guy from "ACM Locksmith" said he does not need a key code if he comes over to my house to cut a key and it'll work. He said unless the key has a chip in it. He's saying that he does not need a key code. All he needs is to have the bike in front of him. Does this make sense?

Dustinh1989
August 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Dealer..

tfkrocks
August 6th, 2013, 01:59 PM
This guy from "ACM Locksmith" said he does not need a key code if he comes over to my house to cut a key and it'll work. He said unless the key has a chip in it. He's saying that he does not need a key code. All he needs is to have the bike in front of him. Does this make sense?

Yes. Any competent locksmith can make a new key from just the lock. I've had that done.