View Full Version : tucked the front :)

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 01:52 AM
almost no damage. video uploading still. was at chuckwalla with trackdaz yesterday going clockwise. lost the front as i crested the hill on 8/9/10 at 9 when i tried to pick it up. had brand new bt003s... sitting back in the pits waiting to be installed :doh: had burnt sport touring tires. not blaming my toast tires. blaming myself for being stupid and not changing my tires when i should have and instead working on trying to get the second bike up and running so i could keep up with kevin on his 636 :/

some scratches. the peg got ground a little bit. same with the kickstand mount. aside from that no damage. the kobe suit has almost no damage either. however the kobe gloves didn't fare as well. they broke a little metal loop that holds the wrist strap, so i need a new one. somehow my helmet didn't touch anything but dirt

lesson learned: have your **** 110% ready before you get to track... also... that moment when crashing right before its sliding away from you when you know its coming, use more gas. at best you save it, at worst you still crash.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423829_322154654509445_100001447382925_888657_1448577854_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/420270_322154687842775_100001447382925_888658_1789293092_n.jpg

and video:

p1BQNP08vvA

akima
March 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Poor Ninjette lying in the dust :(

That's quite a cool picture of you walking away in that desert setting. Glad you're able to walk away.

Wouldn't the new BT003 tyres have been just as not-grippy as your burnt ones on account of them being new?

gfloyd2002
March 11th, 2012, 08:03 AM
+1 for badge of honor going down on the race track
+1 for Kobe gear
+1 for awesome picture walking away with cool wave maintaining pride
-5 for your friend taking pictures of you and bike after the accident, hoping to catch shame for posterity.

Net -2. :p

EthioKnight
March 11th, 2012, 08:36 AM
neato pic, digging it :)
get back and up bro.

NDspd
March 11th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Damn yesterday was a bad day for riders!! Glad you're ok man...which Kobe Leathers do you have?

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
+1 for badge of honor going down on the race track
+1 for Kobe gear
+1 for awesome picture walking away with cool wave maintaining pride
-5 for your friend taking pictures of you and bike after the accident, hoping to catch shame for posterity.

Net -2. :p

HAHA! it was actually the track photographer :p
seriously though i'm absolutely sold on the leathers. the gloves too except for one single flaw... the buckle being on the bottom. why is it on the bottom?!!?

btw i added video up top

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't the new BT003 tyres have been just as not-grippy as your burnt ones on account of them being new?

bt003s need a little more warm up time than a sport touring tire like a sportdemon because they're designed for higher temps... but... the tires i had on had about 5 to 7K miles on them... about 7 for the front. even brand new cold 003s would have had more grip. but if you are talking about that "release compound" crap its bullshit that squids tell people to try to convince them it wasn't their own fault they crashed.

(btw- it was completely my own fault for exceeding limits i knew of the tires i had. don't let blood-lust let you forget your limits)

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I've been thinking about it alot. I made a bigger mistake that I kinda ignored as a bigger factor but now that i think about it and watch the video more and more I'm starting to think it was a bigger factor. when I crashed i had only about half throttle as i crested the hill. weight was probably only around 45/55, so when the road dropped out on the bike, the rear wheel didn't have enough power to it to keep the bike up while the front figured out what it was doing. what i should have done (what i do on the 600, but dont do on the 250 because the 250 has no power and encourages you to charge corners) is set up for 9 farther to the outside and snap the turn in quicker then blast straight to WOT to gun it out over the crest. on something with more power your front lifts up just a tad and is back down right before you need to flop it over to make the next corner. the point is that if you are cresting a hill at max lean, your front tire has almost no weight. if your front tire has almost no weight on it because of a hill or something, give it WOT. or back off before, enough to weight the front enough not to slip out on you.

pin it to win it.

gfloyd2002
March 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Good video. For those interested, crash at 4:47. Angry gesticulating starts at 4:54. Then it is just seething until 5:39 when gear/limb check commences. I'm totally impressed with nearly a minute before checking your gear. And a full 4+ minutes before you check the bike. Cool as a cucumber. (Though that uber cool Steve McQueen hey it happens in racing wave photo might have actually been a pissed off arm flail, which harshes my vibe ;).)

Lots of really good riding before the crest got you, if that is any consolation. What levers are those you use? Look good.

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 11:53 AM
thanks floyd. levers are the2wheel guy's pazzo knockoffs. the last arm raise was my waving to the corner worker

CC Cowboy
March 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
The pass at 1:50 and wave at 2:00 I think freaked both of you. That was close. The guy passing must have shite (he dropped a leg to get it down in his boot). Then at 2:29 you have a wobble while being passed. I think you freaked again. I don't understand the lowside since although you were a bit wide (of the apex) you never hit the front brake which usually makes you tuck. Could there have been some marbles? You weren't really that far off line. I did notice a lot of tell tale skid marks in that turn so I looks like you were not alone going down there.

akima
March 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Alex: why did you walk out away from the track after you crashed? Was it to create a greater distance between you and the bikes on the track, for safety?

Havok
March 11th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Alex: why did you walk out away from the track after you crashed? Was it to create a greater distance between you and the bikes on the track, for safety?

yes, the best way the explain it is if you crashed there and found that spot it is quite likely that someone else will as well and you don't want to be standing there if they do, It is also a distraction for other riders as they can target fixate on you.

I am in awe of this entire crash though, if you watch it in slow mo you see the bike slide on the turn signal, get launched into the air and land on the same turn signal and all he has is some rash and a some ground down hard parts. I freaking tap my turn signal once and it punches through and cracks the fairing.

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/432104_10151398202535497_723490496_23542349_1309572842_n.jpg

haha he surely was trying to get that deuce out of his leg.

i think 8 or 9 people crashed that day. all in that same corner. you're right though my line was horrible through it. i would have just barely made the tiger teeth if i didnt lose it. the pass got me blood crazy and i was pushing too hard trying to keep up with 600s.

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 01:20 PM

jeff said it best. if you crashed there, chances are someone else can too. the bike is already crashed. the truck is already on its way. just walk away.

akima
March 11th, 2012, 01:42 PM
jeff said it best. if you crashed there, chances are someone else can too. the bike is already crashed. the truck is already on its way. just walk away.

Is the flailing arms part of the post-crash procedure too? ;) You looked pissed.

Edit: "pissed" means angry: not sure if that's a British word.

NDspd
March 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM
alex.s After looking at the video, your crash was very similar to the one I had yesterday, except mine was a lot slower. But if I had a gopro on my head it would have looked pretty close.

How did your Kobe gloves and suit do after the accident?

csmith12
March 11th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry brah...

Take those indicators off next time! It takes 5 mins and you don't even have to remove the fairing.

Nice riding too.

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Sorry brah...

Take those indicators off next time! It takes 5 mins and you don't even have to remove the fairing.

Nice riding too.

whats funny is the indicators didn't even get damaged

alex.s
March 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Is the flailing arms part of the post-crash procedure too? ;) You looked pissed.

i was pretty mad at myself. but yeah, raising your arm tells the corner workers you're ok so they dont need to send an ambulence

cuong-nutz
March 11th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Glad you're okay. After my recent spill, I'll just take off the turn signals. Sand is very forgiving:)

CZroe
March 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM

That one is universally understood. "Taking the piss" out of something isn't.

Edit: I got the notice that Akima quoted this at 02:42 AM but I see nothing! *shrug*

akima
March 12th, 2012, 04:41 AM
that moment when crashing right before its sliding away from you when you know its coming, use more gas. at best you save it, at worst you still crash.

Might doing that have saved him (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=453869#post453869)?

akima
March 12th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Edit: I got the notice that Akima quoted this at 02:42 AM but I see nothing! *shrug*

How do you know I quoted you?

Anyway: at first I didn't understand your post, so I replied in a confused manor. But then what you were saying suddenly made sense so I ninjette deleted my post.

CZroe
March 12th, 2012, 05:39 AM
How do you know I quoted you?

Anyway: at first I didn't understand your post, so I replied in a confused manor. But then what you were saying suddenly made sense so I ninjette deleted my post.

Same way I realized that you did it again and ended up here. :)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17457&stc=1&d=1331555781
Note: the drop-down option in the notifications menu. I extensively employ the forum's notifications and read/unread features. :P

Anyway, a deleted post explains everything. I guess the forums don't delete the generated notifications. :P

I'll try to make more sense in the future. :D

alex.s
March 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417762_10151401473285497_723490496_23557711_836621728_n.jpg

picture challenge? your bike flying through the air.

csmith12
March 12th, 2012, 01:41 PM

I am sitting that one out thanks....

Alex
March 12th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Does it help if we're touching the bike at the time?

Example only:

Trailerboy531
March 12th, 2012, 01:45 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417762_10151401473285497_723490496_23557711_836621728_n.jpg

:rotflmao:

akima
March 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
alex.s: It doesn't look like it's flying to me. It just looks like it's still, but hovering. Picture not accepted ;)

alex.s
March 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Does it help if we're touching the bike at the time?

Example only:

haha. oh damn, maybe i need to specify ninja 250 only.... hahaha :P

alex.s
March 12th, 2012, 09:24 PM
huh. so i've been watching this video over, and over, and over. i noticed something new.

about a second before the front tucks, theres a visible patch of cleaned up oil. well if its cleaned up how is it visible? exactly. the frame that the front tire hits that patch of darkness, the front starts sliding and the bike starts going off line. about .75 seconds later when i crest the hill, the front tire gets unloaded and the front tucks fully and the bike slides away. still obviously my fault for running ****** tires and cresting a hill improperly. but i think the patch of darkness contributed a little bit.

http://i.imgur.com/eAbXo.jpg

rusninja
March 12th, 2012, 09:52 PM
You fall like a pro hows that arse XD

alex.s
March 12th, 2012, 10:01 PM
only injury i had was a bruise to the inside of my left knee from the bike falling on it

...and a bruised ego.

squaregamer476
March 12th, 2012, 11:48 PM

im guessing for this situation, or on the track, frame sliders would be bad to have yes?:confused:

Trailerboy531
March 13th, 2012, 12:41 AM
That depends on the slider and many different things. It's a toss up as to whether or not it would catch and cause the bike to roll/kill itself. I can say though that watching the bike get rolled in and looking at it... That bike couldn't be in better condition than it was in. So I don't see sliders doing much benefit in this condition. THE TURN SIGNAL DIDNT EVEN BREAK OFF

gfloyd2002
March 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
only injury i had was a bruise to the inside of my left knee from the bike falling on it

...and a bruised ego.

No reason for ego damage. A professional crash with good riding before and good analysis after. Technical turn at speed, it happens on the track. Compare that to when I went down -- a 20mph lowside caused by a mossy spot in a corner I didn't see. As I picked up my bike, a 75cc scooter shot past me (and the mossy spot) with no issues. Sprained right ego on THAT one was well deserved, I felt like a noob for the first time in 15 years. (Why does gear not come with CE rated ego proection?) Yours, nah.

thanks floyd. levers are the2wheel guy's pazzo knockoffs. the last arm raise was my waving to the corner worker

Just bought the levers from the2wheel guys after reading reviews. Unexpected result of your crash. In related news, Kobe leathers probably going to be my next major gear purchase - they are throwing in free gloves and back protector with purchase right now. Thank goodness you didn't crash in $2000 leathers with super expensive farkles. Gear/farkle envy is only going to cost me under $500 total.

Nemesis
March 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM
WTF? :eek: How the hell do you tuck the front on a Ninja 250r?

You noob! Go take the MSF course again. :D

DSpinler
March 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
alex.s Glad to see you walk away from that, sounds like the bike is mostly ok too :)

.... what kind of helmet are you wearing?

Motofool
March 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM
........when I crashed i had only about half throttle as i crested the hill.......about a second before the front tucks, theres a visible patch of cleaned up oil. .............the frame that the front tire hits that patch of darkness, the front starts sliding and the bike starts going off line. about .75 seconds later when i crest the hill, the front tire gets unloaded and the front tucks fully and the bike slides away. ........

No way to escape from that one.

I can't see that hill that you describe.

According to Twist of the thirst 2, the tuck happens when the front wheel is overloaded.

It explains that when unloaded (even in a wheelie), the inertia of the rear wheel keeps the lean angle and the bike stable.

If all that is true, the re-bounce down of the front tire, contaminated with some oil maybe, was the trigger.

Glad you are OK :thumbup:

Mr.E
March 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM

:happy130:

alex.s
March 13th, 2012, 06:27 PM
some people who arent posting here seem to think im blaming oil or tires or something. im not. what caused the crash was exactly as motofool put it. too much weight on the front tire for the conditions. i shoould have had it pinned over the crest, and i shoouldnt have been at full lean. i should have late-apexed it and pulled the bike upright over the crest. the combination of my bad technique, my spent tires, and possibly contributing was variations on the road surface (dark spot). listing out things that contribute is not blaming them. its trying to understand the situation fully. dont go think im blaming anything but myself. it was purely my own technique at fault.

alex.s
March 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
WTF? :eek: How the hell do you tuck the front on a Ninja 250r?

You noob! Go take the MSF course again. :D

haha. wait a second here. didnt you tuck your front at the same place right before i did?

alex.s
March 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM
alex.s Glad to see you walk away from that, sounds like the bike is mostly ok too :)

.... what kind of helmet are you wearing?

shoei rf-1100.

Nemesis
March 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM
haha. wait a second here. didnt you tuck your front at the same place right before i did?

I have no idea what you're talking about! :)

Kevin2109
March 14th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about! :)

Thats because you hit your head so hard! :p

Trailerboy531
March 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM
:pound: :pound: :pound:

akima
March 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
No way to escape from that one.

I can't see that hill that you describe.

According to Twist of the thirst 2, the tuck happens when the front wheel is overloaded.

It explains that when unloaded (even in a wheelie), the inertia of the rear wheel keeps the lean angle and the bike stable.

If all that is true, the re-bounce down of the front tire, contaminated with some oil maybe, was the trigger.

Glad you are OK :thumbup:

That's a really clear explanation thanks.

Ytse Frobozz
March 18th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I would have a print made of that first photo and frame it. I know the wave is to let people know you're okay, but it totally says, "Crashed my motorcycle LIKE A BOSS."

akima
March 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
i would have a print made of that first photo and frame it. I know the wave is to let people know you're okay, but it totally says, "crashed my motorcycle like a boss."

alex.s
March 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
haha. i want that shirt.

Cazper
March 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
See you guys get me all excited about going to the track with you... then I see video's like this and think... not my baby :nono:

I think I would want to get a set of race plastics before going just on the off chance that I crash... I wouldn't be as pissed off :noidea:

alex.s
March 20th, 2012, 06:18 PM
haha honestly i was being stupid. i was pushing the bike hard with spent tires. if you have any regard for your own safety its a whole lot safer than the street

Hoodie Ninja
March 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Glad to see you walked away unscathed. Gotta tell you, awesome pic of you walking away!

alex.s
April 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM
i might be obsessing, but...

after watching this a lot:

9kR67t2nfCk

i realized throttle control is what caused my crash.

the line is very similar in both videos through corners 8,9,10. the biggest difference in line looks like its caused by turn in speed. pridmore turns in much quicker. pridmore also brakes hard and late on the last little bit of uphill before turn 9 but he takes the same tight charging line, instead of squaring it off. the big difference is how and when throttle is applied. hes slowing down all the way until the crest, then at about 80% lean angle, gets on the gas right as the front wheel crosses, unloading the front with the gas so it doesnt need the traction it just lost.

so...

pin it to win it.