View Full Version : 636 gone...possibly going back to a 650...

Socal5646
March 11th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Well...ended up selling the zx6r for a decent price....thinking about going back to the 650. Between the 250, 650 and the 636....besides the suspension....the 650 seems to be the best bike for me (daily city commuting). Hopefully the suspension on the new 2012s have gotten better....off to Kawi now to check em' out!

Yasko
March 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
The 250 is on your short list after having a zx6r? What do you miss about the 250?

I would love to have a 600cc+ but I don't wnat to pay for the extra gas?

Cazper
March 11th, 2012, 05:07 PM
You sure do go through a lot of bikes... wish I could afford to do that... heck, I'd be happy being able to get another bike :lol:

250rr
March 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Let us know what you decide. We're letting you be our guinea pig! ;)

choneofakind
March 11th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Dude, you need to own a bike for long enough to go through a set of tires at least :lol:

fwiw, the new 650 is sexy

CZroe
March 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM
You sure do go through a lot of bikes... wish I could afford to do that... heck, I'd be happy being able to get another bike :lol:

BiLow; SellHi

Socal5646
March 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM

If I were coming out of my own pocket, I probably would still have my old pregen ;)

The 250 is on your short list after having a zx6r? What do you miss about the 250?

The 250 was mentioned only because it was in my short list of previously owned bikes. The 250 is an excellent bike for what it is, but I don't think i would ever get another carburated bike.

The zx6r is a badass ride! I just don't like the riding position for my commute EVERY day. On the highway it's a beast! And this is the first time I've let a bike go and am kind of regretting it. But I guess I'm getting old and comfort has become more important than fun.

The 650 has the bmx handle bars that look like **** but are so damn comfortable to ride. The suspension on my old 07' was HORRIBLE which is the only downfall of the bike, but considering I don't do long trips it's managable. You get comparable gas mileage to the 250 and almost identical insurance rates. I was surprised how much more it was to insure the zx6r compared to the 650.

I may just splurge an buy a new bike this go around. Now that I KNOW what kind of I enjoy riding...I may just get something I want to keep and get a small project bike to start over again.

blink
March 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Extra gas is honestly maybe 3 dollars lol

at the most.

i dont notice a difference

alex.s
March 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM

buy my bike at the end of the year when its done :)

Kevin2109
March 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Extra gas is honestly maybe 3 dollars lol

at the most.

i dont notice a difference

30mpg vs 60 is a huge difference...

Jiggles
March 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Actually the new 650 was cheaper on insurance for me than my 250r. My guess is because they dropped the "r" off of the name but I don't really know. The 2012 650 is super comfortable and has plenty of power plus great gas mileage. I get better mileage on my 650 than my 250, but I ride the **** out of my 250.

Xoulrath
March 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
30mpg vs 60 is a huge difference...i'm sure the 636 is a bit thirstier than the '08 I used to have, but even so, unless you rode the thing around in first gear everywhere you went, 30 mpg is really low.

I never saw less than 35 mpg average out of a tank when I was beating the hell out of the bike, running in first or second, holding 10K or higher, on every single back road I hit that day.

Riding a bit more conservatively, keeping the bike in third and fourth, but still between 8K and 10K, I still saw 40 mpg.

If I was really trying, and had some commuting thrown into the mix, I could get 44 mpg. Seeing as how the low on the 250 was about 45 mpg when I was beating it within an inch of its life on backroads, it's a reasonable trade. Loafing along on my ZX in fourth and fifth, I still had more pull than the 250 in any gear, while also keeping the engine nice and quiet to avoid unwanted attention.

I typically saw 180-200 out of about 4 gallons from the 250, and typically saw 140-160 from about 3.7 or so gallons out of the ZX. Averages are 45-50 for the 250; and about 38-43 for the 600. Not much of a difference at all, and a lot of the extra cost comes from the $.30 or so more a gallon for premium.

Kevin2109
March 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM
:eek: I wish I could get that! Im running a -1+2 sprocket setup with full exhaust so that for sure kills my millage. Best I ever pulled off was 36 and that was highway, I get **** millage in the city (hence the 30mpg)

The track though, I get less then 20mpg lol

i'm sure the 636 is a bit thirstier than the '08 I used to have, but even so, unless you rode the thing around in first gear everywhere you went, 30 mpg is really low.

I never saw less than 35 mpg average out of a tank when I was beating the hell out of the bike, running in first or second, holding 10K or higher, on every single back road I hit that day.

Riding a bit more conservatively, keeping the bike in third and fourth, but still between 8K and 10K, I still saw 40 mpg.

If I was really trying, and had some commuting thrown into the mix, I could get 44 mpg. Seeing as how the low on the 250 was about 45 mpg when I was beating it within an inch of its life on backroads, it's a reasonable trade. Loafing along on my ZX in fourth and fifth, I still had more pull than the 250 in any gear, while also keeping the engine nice and quiet to avoid unwanted attention.

I typically saw 180-200 out of about 4 gallons from the 250, and typically saw 140-160 from about 3.7 or so gallons out of the ZX. Averages are 45-50 for the 250; and about 38-43 for the 600. Not much of a difference at all, and a lot of the extra cost comes from the $.30 or so more a gallon for premium.

CZroe
March 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM
250R dropped "R" from the name in the current year model as well. Should've guessed they had some reason for that!

Xoulrath
March 12th, 2012, 02:41 PM
:eek: I wish I could get that! Im running a -1+2 sprocket setup with full exhaust so that for sure kills my millage. Best I ever pulled off was 36 and that was highway, I get **** millage in the city (hence the 30mpg)

The track though, I get less then 20mpg lolOK, that is probably some of the difference because my 600 was stock. Sprockets and exhaust, plus a slightly larger engine and I guess you get 30 mpg...ughh. I've heard several people mention mileage for liter bikes, and I think it was in the 25-30 range for the street. Can owners of bigger bikes confirm?

The track mileage surprises me a bit, in that you drop below 20, but I expected very low 20s. Damn, I wonder what a Moto GP bike gets: 10 mpg??!!:eek:

Alex
March 12th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Remember that your odometer is off as well with those sprocket changes, so it's reading higher than it would with stock sprockets. So if you're using the inflated mileage for the mpg figures, your actual mileage would be even less. :eek:

Jiggles
March 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM
250R dropped "R" from the name in the current year model as well. Should've guessed they had some reason for that!

http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=553

It's still the Ninja 250r

Alex
March 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
OK, that is probably some of the difference because my 600 was stock. Sprockets and exhaust, plus a slightly larger engine and I guess you get 30 mpg...ughh. I've heard several people mention mileage for liter bikes, and I think it was in the 25-30 range for the street. Can owners of bigger bikes confirm?

Ranges from 35 - 45 mpg on the street on the ZX-10R, about the same for the BMW.

The track mileage surprises me a bit, in that you drop below 20, but I expected very low 20s. Damn, I wonder what a Moto GP bike gets: 10 mpg??!!:eek:

At race pace, that's about right. They are limited to 24 liters of fuel, and races are typically between 70 and 75 miles long. They try and run out on the cool-down lap. So lets say 75 miles / 24 liters = 3.125 miles per liter = 11.8 mpg.

Kevin2109
March 12th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Remember that your odometer is off as well with those sprocket changes, so it's reading higher than it would with stock sprockets. So if you're using the inflated mileage for the mpg figures, your actual mileage would be even less. :eek:

Speedo healer :D it was 16.7% off before, now its dead on within 1mph+/-

Xoulrath
March 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Wow, that high, Alex? I'm surprised! I knew it wasn't awful, given the performance, but that's as good as the 600. Though I guess less revs equals less fuel used so it balances out.

Thanks for the info on the GP bikes. :thumbup:

Alex
March 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Speedo healer :D it was 16.7% off before, now its dead on within 1mph+/-

Which is - the speedo or the odo? If you fix the speedo to be accurate, often the odo reads lower than true. That would mean that your true mileage is a bit better than that calculation. :)

Kevin2109
March 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Which is - the speedo or the odo? If you fix the speedo to be accurate, often the odo reads lower than true. That would mean that your true mileage is a bit better than that calculation. :)

I wish! I corrected for the sprocket change and the factory error, I basically had my GPS speedo going as I went down the road, hit 60 on the GPS then remembered what the speed was on the dash and calculated it that way :thumbup: I actually dive pretty conservatively now and still get 30-35, ill see after this tank what I can get by being a granny with the throttle :p

Alex
March 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Right - so your speedo is spot on with the GPS speed, and is likely completely accurate. But the speedo accuracy and odometer accuracy are separate. Most bikes have a speedo that reads high, and an odometer that's much closer to reality. When you tweak the signal so the speedo reads correctly, it is then also dialing the odometer to read somewhat below actual, as it's off the same input signal.

You can't fix both, as the adjustment on the speedohealer affects them both equally. If your using the mileage on your trip meter, and dividing it by the amount of fuel you add, your calculated mileage will be somewhat less than your true mileage, as the odometer is reading low.

Kevin2109
March 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Right - so your speedo is spot on with the GPS speed, and is likely completely accurate. But the speedo accuracy and odometer accuracy are separate. Most bikes have a speedo that reads high, and an odometer that's much closer to reality. When you tweak the signal so the speedo reads correctly, it is then also dialing the odometer to read somewhat below actual, as it's off the same input signal.

You can't fix both, as the adjustment on the speedohealer affects them both equally. If your using the mileage on your trip meter, and dividing it by the amount of fuel you add, your calculated mileage will be somewhat less than your true mileage.

Oh thats good to know! Sweet, thanks alex :thumbup:

Alex
March 12th, 2012, 03:23 PM
You can confirm it reasonably well with that same GPS. Just reset the tripmeter on the GPS when you reset the bike one, and in 100 miles see how they compare. GPS trip odometers aren't perfect, but are close enough that you should be able to see a noticeable difference.

CZroe
March 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM
http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=553

It's still the Ninja 250r

I see, but one of the first things people pointed out when it was introduced was that Kawi dropped the "R" from everything. I even checked the website and watched as it automagically reappeared when I'd click "Previous Year Product." I guess they changed their mind.

r311music
March 12th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I had an 09 650 and the suspension was pretty terrible. I don't know about the '12s though. As for mpgs, I always got 45-50mpg on the 650, it didn't make a difference on how hard I rode. My zx6r, I get 38-45mpg depending on how I ride.

Linuss
March 12th, 2012, 06:16 PM
If handlebars and riding position is your only real complaint, why not do risers / rear sets in a way that you find comfortable?

If you you hate the handlebars on the 650, put on new bars that you do like

:)

blink
March 13th, 2012, 11:52 AM
30mpg vs 60 is a huge difference...

Not many get 30 and not many get 60..

blink
March 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM
i'm sure the 636 is a bit thirstier than the '08 I used to have, but even so, unless you rode the thing around in first gear everywhere you went, 30 mpg is really low.

That's more like it.
Many people think since you have a 600 you always stay in 1 or 2... i usually end up in 5th and 6th. Simply because you keep revs low. you don't need your bike screaming everywhere lol

Socal5646
March 13th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Can't decide on either the new 650 or the monster 796. Will buy new this time...but to hold me over I picked up one of these: 900 bucks brand new! 150cc chinese made....you can actually ride the **** out of these little things....I've been abusing the **** out of it right out of the box! You can get them to lean pretty far over on turns too! 50mph indicated....don't get much of a manual with it...so don't know if I should break it in or not....kinda too late for that. Just hope it holds up before the new bike...lol:p

p.s. no homo...;)

cbdallas
March 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Can't decide on either the new 650 or the monster 796. Will buy new this time...but to hold me over I picked up one of these: 900 bucks brand new! 150cc chinese made....you can actually ride the **** out of these little things....I've been abusing the **** out of it right out of the box! .... Just hope it holds up before the new bike...lol:p

Well...ummmm....it's a great color! Your system must be in shock right now having gotten off a 636 and onto a 150cc scooter. I think the situation may be that it's not powerful enough to actually hurt itself, so you can abuse it all you like! LOL

Get a '12 650R. GORGEOUS

Socal5646
March 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM
lmao @ nice color...

was looking for bikes and saw the ad and couldn't pass it up...considering the guy who bought my 636 paid for it...well...

Yeah...I really like the 650 too but I was thinking considering I'm buying new....its much easier to find a used 650 later down road than a used monster worth buying...ahhh decisions...

TeamGreen
March 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Pics of you ATGATT on the scooter please.

No homo.

Socal5646
March 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM
But seriously...for 900 bucks these little things are a hoot! Perfect for quick runs to the store and minor errands...they're like golf carts on two wheels....just powerful enough to hurt yourself...which leaves LOTS of room for riding like a jackass (admittedly lol).

I want to find a steel/metal worker than can make kind of a roll cage that's attached to where the current trunk is. Then put a child bicycle passenger seat in it and take my daughter out on little outgoings...probably gonna cost more than what the scotter is worth...

Socal5646
March 13th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Pics of you ATGATT on the scooter please.

No homo.

Lmfao...no gear on the scooter...only my full faced modular helmet lol

cbdallas
March 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
...its much easier to find a used 650 later down road than a used monster worth buying...ahhh decisions...

Things must be very different in L.A. I had a B*T*H of a time finding a 650 that didn't look like it was used to pull stumps. And wanting a blue one made it even harder. Until I stumbled onto mine, I was actually considering flying to Tulsa to buy the only decent blue one on Craigslist.

Enjoy the scoot! I'm sure they're fun in their own....way. LOL

Toly
March 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Can't decide on either the new 650 or the monster 796.

Duh... I reckon you didn't test ride both of them. After you do, you'd probably forget about 650 altogether.

Socal5646
March 14th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Things must be very different in L.A. I had a B*T*H of a time finding a 650 that didn't look like it was used to pull stumps. And wanting a blue one made it even harder. Until I stumbled onto mine, I was actually considering flying to Tulsa to buy the only decent blue one on Craigslist.

Enjoy the scoot! I'm sure they're fun in their own....way. LOL

When I sold my 650...I actually found 2 more that were similar before I decided on the 636...I've been looking for a monster ever since I sold my pregen...and the only decent ones I've found...the owners won't budge off msrp...USED!

cbdallas
March 15th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I see a LOT of crazies on Craigslist asking nearly new MSRP for 3-5 year-old bikes...and they're SCRATCHED. It's good for a laugh. Especially funny to still see them on there after a month or more.

choneofakind
March 15th, 2012, 08:13 AM
They probably payed a lot more than MSRP when they bought new, so they're likely trying to cut their losses. It does feel good to see them having trouble selling their bike though.

There's a bike on sale here from Ohio that I kinda feel the same way about. Asking too much, can't figure out why it's still here... :rolleyes:

Cazper
March 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
buy my bike at the end of the year when its done :)

I've thought about getting one like yours to compete against you... :lol:

I'm pretty set on getting my 11' ZX-14 :thumbup:

MustangGuy
March 16th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Neat looking scooter! I've never been on one - I'm actually afraid to ride one around here with the worst drivers in California (maybe the entire United States)! I'm still bonding with my new 650 and technically it's still in the break-in period so I'm just doing "normal riding" and I'm seeing 45 mpg. Ninjette got in the 50's. I can live with the trade-off though! I'm finding the suspension a little stiff. I'm not sure if it's because my 07 250 was ("is".... she's still in my garage) on the soft side and that's what I got used to. I know the rear shock is adjustable on the 650.. I just haven't got around to trying different settings yet. The handle bars do contribute to the upright riding position but it looks like they could easily be swapped out.