View Full Version : So I woke up

the big mike
March 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I woke up and noticed I was in a hospital room, lying in one of those hospital beds, it was 6 AM... I really don't remember anything from about an hour before the accident till that moment.

This is what (most probably) happened:
A friend and I decided to ride home from school on a friday evening at 1800 hours. We usually ride a little sporty but I've always told myself to do so in a responsible way. Apparently we were going about 110 kmh on a 70 kmh road and I couldn't take a turn. So my reaction must have been to pull my bike up again, in a straight line, so that I could brake later on, in the grass that is. I probably used my front brake, causing my front wheel to slide to the left, making me fall on my right side. I hit my head on a concrete bicycle lane and lost consciousness for about 30 seconds.

Results:
I am attgatt, so next to a concussion I had no injuries, I also have no permanent consequences of it. So I am perfectly fine.
The bike was completely broken on the right side: front fairing bended, fairing cracked, clip-on bended, exhaust scratched, rear fairing smashed, no more rear brake, etc...
Four months later I can finally ride my bike again, it's completely fixed. It was pretty expensive but as there was no structural damage, it was the best thing for me to do (in a financial way).
I only still can't think of what was going through my mind to ride so dangerously, it surely won't happen again that way.
But I'm happy I can ride again :)

Here some pics of the damage (now fixed):

austexjg
March 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Not the first, or last person, to take a corner too hot (me included) - Glad you wore your gear and stayed healthy. Just try to remember - slow in, fast out - not the easiest thing to do, even on the 250R.

nickjpass
March 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Good thing your bike is fixed just like you :)

the big mike
March 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM
yeah thanks :) can't wait for my next ride :thumbup:

Motofool
March 15th, 2012, 05:10 PM
If you are not riding at the limit on the track, you are going too slow.
If you are riding at the limit on the street, you are going way too fast.

Entering slow is always the fastest way to negotiate a curve.
You did enter that curve fast, an took you four month to complete it. :)

Glad that the mishap is behind you without major consequences.

whomikedao
March 15th, 2012, 05:43 PM
How did you fix the bent handlebar. And was your handlebar out of alignment to your front wheel?

Malicious Logic
March 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Makes me question wonder how fast you were going when you hit your head if you were "atgatt", which includes a helmet, and still lost consciousness. If you honestly did have a helmet on, maybe look into a better brand?

pilotgeorge747
March 15th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Glad you are ok and the bike is ready to ride again. It is a good feeling once that happens, I've been there before.

Makes me question wonder how fast you were going when you hit your head if you were "atgatt", which includes a helmet, and still lost consciousness. If you honestly did have a helmet on, maybe look into a better brand?

The whole purpose of helmets (or any safety gear) is to REDUCE the possibility of serious injury. There is no helmet or other gear that is going to protect you 100% in any given circumstance. Best way to look at it is that seeing how the OP hit his head hard enough to lose consciousness WITH a helmet I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be here to provide this story to us if he wasn't wearing a helmet.

the big mike
March 16th, 2012, 03:20 AM
whomikedao I just had to replace the clip-on and the brake lever, other than that nothing was bent

Malicious Logic I hit the ground with the side of my head pretty hard. My helmet is a Schuberth C3, no one would ever call that a bad helmet.

Motofool yeah, I learned that lesson now :)

NDspd
March 16th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Ouch man!!! Glad you are ok and all, with no serious injuries.

Ride safe!

CZroe
March 16th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks for wearing your gear and sharing your learning experience!

I'm glad you're OK, and amazed that I don't even see a mark on the right side of the tank!

CC Cowboy
March 16th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Did your friend make the turn?

I find that I can make any turn at twice the limit (not that I would recommend that for others).

Never give up. You will find that you (and the bike) can do it.

the big mike
March 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM

I find that I can make any turn at twice the limit (not that I would recommend that for others).

Good eye for details :)
yes, my friend has made the turn, although it was pretty close for him too as he was riding behind me and needed to concentrate on not following me :)

He said I didn't make it because I started turning too late, that's all he saw. I can't really give anymore details because I don't remember anything of it. All of the above are just hypotheses :)

JeffM
March 16th, 2012, 11:49 AM

What CC said.

According to your speed estimation the kph you were going roughly 35% faster than the posted speed for that corner (in mph - posted 43.5 and your speed of 68.3). Remember that this motorcycle can be ridden much harder than the skill sets of most of us, including me :p (CC on the other hand :eek:)

Ride your own ride and look where you want to go and lean.

Glad you are ok.

Jeff

blink
March 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Dang, glad your alright. Hot corners aint so hot =[

MikeBudd
March 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Just because you are wearing a helmet doesn't mean you won't get a concussion or loose consciousness. It reduces the chances, but definitely does not take them away completely.

If he didn't have a helmet on at that speed and hit his head falling off a bike on a concrete bicycle lane, his head would be f***ed up and wouldn't just have a concussion :P

Glad you ended up O.K. and glad you fixed the bike up yourself :D

Have fun and be safe!

NikkitaNinja
March 20th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Damn, i saw that handle bar and thought...hmm yea time for clip ons, lol

glad to hear you're ok.

cuong-nutz
March 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Glad you are okay!

nsaP
March 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Glad you came out alright...it sounds like you've recognized your mistakes and learned from them, which is more than you can say for half of the people that crash.

Stay safe everyone.

the big mike
March 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone, and yes, I have learned :)

ProdigyRacingLA
March 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
Glad to hear you and the bike came out of it alright.
Thanks for sharring, gear up and remember to ride within your abilities.
Dress for the slide not the ride.

Stay safe out there guys.

christbennett429
April 18th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Your really lucky, I wasnt so much. Anyway I took a corner too quick funny enough on a 150cc scooter once and popped the curb then hit a light pole, scary stuff. Glad your ok. Chris