View Full Version : Can't decide what bike I want.

Mountain Dew
March 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM
First off, some background:

I had a Ninjette for about four months. Got bored of it (sportbikes just don't really appeal to me I guess), sold it, and bought a 74 Honda CB550 with the intent of making a cafe racer. Since I'm nearly done with that (just another month or two), and after having DDed it, I've decided that it's not suitable for a DD. It's uncomfortable, unreliable (in the sense that it leaks oil, and is old, so stuff goes wrong easily), and will be in too good of condition and sentimental value to DD. So I've decided, since I now have a job (working at a bike dealership, no less), I can (try to) finance a bike. The only requirements is that it needs to be comfortable, handle sporty riding, and look spectacular or out of the ordinary.

Top of the list right now is the Ducati Monster 1100 (with Termis).

It's a naked, so it's inherently comfortable. It's a goddamn Ducati, so it's out of the ordinary and sporty as hell. Since I work at the dealership, I'll get a discount from the dealership, and from Ducati as well (I think. It's only some models), so I can afford to get a set of Termignoni exhaust, pictured.

My second choice is a Honda CBR600.

Being a true sportbike, it's not particularly comfortable, but it IS the most comfortable of big 4 600s. It laos has the lowest seat height. Since it is a full-faired sportbike, it's cookie cutter, but makes up for it with being sporty.

Tentatively joining my list is a Harley-Davidson XR1200X. I have yet to ride one, but everything I'm seeing about it is great.

It's not your typical harley, being a standard, rather than a cruiser. The X model has Showa big piston upside-down forks, and Showa nitrogen shocks.
The XR1200 is a throwback to the XR750 flat tracker/cafe racer, and definitely shows it. It also has an air-cooled SOHC engine (which I'm used to working on. Although the Duc has one too), making low-end torque, but high-end power, making it great for both DD and sport riding. Thankfully it's equipped with EFI to take the hassle (and believe me, it's a HASSLE) of carbs.

Skippii
March 18th, 2012, 12:25 AM
The Duc Monster isn't actually very comfortable. At least, the 1100S isn't.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YTDtsFV8HoQ/TODKrT6woBI/AAAAAAAABXI/pkufLNltuoM/s640/DSCF1667.JPG

(sportbikes just don't really appeal to me I guess),

My second choice is a Honda CBR600.
Being a true sportbike...

That rules out the first two...

Mountain Dew
March 18th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I've ridden the Duc and for me it was very comfortable.

I also worded that part wrong, and left some words out.

Gorilla25
March 18th, 2012, 01:35 AM
when I eventually upgrade or keep ninjette and get a bigger bike, its gonna be cbr600 or zx6r. since zx6r is not an option for you, cbr it is :)

thurt88
March 18th, 2012, 02:26 AM
I voted Ducati, since u work at a Ducati dealership and can probably get a discount on parts and such. I never got one cause I couldnt afford the maint and the dealership is about an hour away to boot. The Harley would be my second choice. Ive owned a CBR600rr and its not comfortable at all. Fun as hell, but not comfortable. I think the new CBR 600's are kinda ugly....that 1k is a sexy beast tho :)

If you dont really want a sportbike.. why is Ducati and CBR even in your choices ?

RyderRider15
March 18th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Why not a Hypermotard? They're fun, more comfortable (imo) than a lot of "street" bikes, and they're more rare than a naked or sport bike.

drac
March 18th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Never had a Ducati...always wanted one. They have always been bad ass looking bikes.

Spoke to a guy with an Aprilla one day. The guy was a longtime rider and had just gotten back from the "Four Corners" ride. I brought up the fact that I had always wanted a Ducati and he said they were sweet looking but he had owned 2 of them and both gave him trouble. Anyone else experience the same thing?

You can't go wrong buying the CBR. Honda makes solid products.

burningscooter
March 18th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I voted the Ducati because Ducati's with termis are YEUP!.

also, have you checked with your insurance company to make sure that you can afford the entire package before purchasing any of the bikes listed?

Snake
March 18th, 2012, 07:00 AM
The Ducati is a very sexy looking bike. I voted Ducat.

sombo
March 18th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I got news for you on that HD. It's NOT a SOHC. They use the 1200cc Evolution engine in it. That's the 1200cc version of my engine. It's a 4 valve, 4 cam, push rod motor (yes, that's right, 1 cam per valve). This is the same basic engine that powered the Buells for the longest time. It's extremely reliable and friendly towards high-end cams should you ever decide to change them. :thumbup:

choneofakind
March 18th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I voted Ducati since those things are pure ear-gasms.

BUT! If you're looking for reliability for a DD, the Honda is the way to go, except for the fact that you said sport bikes were too uncomfortable for you. That means any supersport is not the way to go...

Mountain Dew
March 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM
My bad on that. I misread OHV as OHC.

I don't really like the styling of the Hypermotard.

The dealership I work at sells Honda/Yamaha/Ducati/BMW. The other location sells HD/Kawasaki/Triumph. So any of these bikes I'll get a discount on.

nickjpass
March 18th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Votes are tied after I voted...for the 600RR...I guess it really comes down to, supersport, or not supersport lol

CC Cowboy
March 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Mert Lawwill Street Tracker

Alex
March 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Mert Lawwill Street Tracker

:thumbup:

http://www.ciurczak.com/Motorcycles/Montgomery-Street-Motorcycle/20060708-Mert-Lawwill-at-Candy/i-Xzh5VQQ/0/L/DSC02521-L.jpg

etiainen
March 18th, 2012, 11:55 AM
The XR1200X started burning a hole in my pant leg.

I hated it.

RyderRider15
March 18th, 2012, 12:33 PM
My bad on that. I misread OHV as OHC.

I don't really like the styling of the Hypermotard.

The dealership I work at sells Honda/Yamaha/Ducati/BMW. The other location sells HD/Kawasaki/Triumph. So any of these bikes I'll get a discount on.

What about a FZ1 then? They're far more comfortable than a super sport.

alex.s
March 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
get an xr1200.

Mountain Dew
March 18th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Going to test ride an XR1200x tomorrow. If I like it it'll just be between the Duc and it.

sombo
March 19th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Going to test ride an XR1200x tomorrow. If I like it it'll just be between the Duc and it.

Cool, good luck. One thing to keep in mind is that the Duc will be more expensive in the long run and have less mods available for it. ;)

Jono
March 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Get a street triple....
http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/12146286/122_0812_02_z%2B2009_triumph_street_triple_r%2Bright_side_view.jpg

or

BMW F800r
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRViSt8WsMg9r4zmDk7YTZFt-heuDlbeq_D2rFXu0v1IoqlhRsMWfJKVmMuXQ

or

Ducati Hypermotard 1100
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hOQTSNH5Zus/TJiZdkN2pJI/AAAAAAAAChg/ZGPl3DVB_zU/s1600/Ducati+Hypermotard+1100.jpg

Mocha Man
March 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Get a street triple....
http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/12146286/122_0812_02_z%2B2009_triumph_street_triple_r%2Bright_side_view.jpg

I second this. These have always been on my list for my favorite type of bike. I've heard nothing but great things about them and I love the looks of em. :thumbup:

Mocha Man
March 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Wait a second...I'm confused: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84893

Is the 74 Honda what you got after posting that thread? Sorry if this is a really dumb question and the answer is right before my eyes somewhere. My brain might just not be functioning from 4 hours of sleep haha.

Mountain Dew
March 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Yes, I got the Honda after posting that thread. A brand new bike wasn't in my budget because I didn't have a job.

Jono, you're forgetting that the new triples look like this:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2012-Triumph-Street-Triple-R-1.jpg

They're comfy and they're cool, but the headlights just destroy any notion I had about it. Even if I changed them, it'll always be that ugly. Not really digging the F800 (if I were to get one anyway, it'd be an F800GS). And the hypermotard just doesn't really do it for me either.

The maintenance isn't an issue. I can do most, if not all, of my own work, and since I work in the service dept, I can use that to my advantage if needed. And the only mod I need is Termis :P

leed
March 20th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Have you considered a used SV650? Or a Honda 919 or a 599? These are all sport standards with comfortable seating positions with plenty of power for fun. Since you're talking of financing a bike, why not just buy outright and buy used?

nickjpass
March 20th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Just get a dirt bike.